PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Disney OR Mr.Right??

SunnyLee
07-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Okay...well I have a troubling question and situation. I LOVE Disney..I mean LOVE IT!!!:heart::heart: Well..I have dated many guys in the past who will tolerate Disney to a limit but that limit is like REALLY limited. I have Disney collectibles etc. all over my house, I love to go all the time just on a whim, and could seriously talk about it whenever!!! BUT...I find that most guys aren't too the whole Disney scene and are soon bye bye :sadwave: And well..what's a girl to do? :sad: Do I give up my 'obsession' w/ Disney for Mr. Right or do I stick to my guns ...I mean personality and believe that MAYBE one day that Prince Charming who will love Disney as much as me or at least have a LONG limitation of patience for it?? :wait:
...so fellow Disney women/girls out there...did your DH's always LOVE Disney or did it grow on them? Did it matter to you in the beginning? Little help here would be great!!! :mickey:

aprilisis
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I say that if you love Disney as much as you do, then a guy who cannot tolerate it or who "puts up with it" a little is NOT Mr. Right! That is what I think while I am dating (I love Disney as much as you do). Though- I am 31 and still single, so you may not want to listen to me! I just know I would rather be single than put up with someone who doesn't let me enjoy what I love to the extent that I want to. Plus if they don't like my dog, they are out the door! :D There should be somewhere that we could share our dating horror stories. :laughing:
Good luck!

SunnyLee
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I DEFINITELY agree w/ that!!!! I'm sure there are many we could both tell!!! You are right.....I've heard it said MANY times: it's better to be lonely and single than miserable and married...hmmm...and I like what you said about your dog..if "he" doesn't like my two kitties (Alice and Cindy...short for Cinderella) then he's "out the door!" Thanks!~

January-2007
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm married now. My DH loves Disney almost as much as me. He wasn't always that way though.

Back when I was dating I just kind of figured if the guy liked me then he would like Disney too because I like it so much and it's a part of who I am. If he didn't like it at all then how would he like me?

Before DH was with me he had only been to WDW once, and he was a toddler so he doesn't remember that much. He didn't "not like" Disney, but he wasn't completely ga ga over it like I am.

When we began to realize that we could afford to Honeymoon in Walt Disney World, that's when it all began. I started talking about it constently and it got DH really into it as well. I would always say, "I want to go now!" and eventually we did just that. It was DH's idea that we go on our first spur of the moment trip together, and to this day he is so glad that we did.

I'm still more the trip planner and talker about it, but DH loves WDW a lot. He has his special souvenEars that he got there and he loves those vacations. He doesn't stop me from talking about it, I get into these funks where I just want to plan plan plan so he's used to it by now.

I don't think I could have married someone who didn't like Disney. It's so important to me! I love getting old Disney movies too, and DH surprises me sometimes at just how cool he is because he will like the stuff that I like. So no, he wasn't a die hard fan when we met, but now he loves it a whole bunch, so I think people have the ability to embrace things they weren't brought up with and enjoy them to the fullest.

Don't give up a part of yourself for someone else, because then they can never know the whole you! It's important to have balance in your life but if there's something you feel strongly about, then I think it's important for your partner to at least relate in a positive fashion and not totally disregard your feelings towards something like Disney.

Good luck with everything. Your Mr. Right will show up when the time is right, and if he loves you, then he will like Disney too!

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
If you like Disney that much it's a part of you; part of who you are.

You should have someone who loves you for who you are.

That said, you may not find a guy who's as fanatical about Disney as you, but I'm sure you'll find someone who can understand how much it means to you and you'll find a way to work it out, together.

ImagiAsh
07-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't give up Disney! :mickey: Why would you give up something you love and something you know will always be there? If Mr. Right fits your mold, then he will (at the very least) enjoy or support your passion for Disney...maybe not 'obsess' over it... but, there's got to be a compromise somewhere, right? :) Don't change who you are or what you love for any potential Mr. Right. Just be willing to make a few compromises.

bleukarma
07-11-2007, 10:21 AM
While I am currently single, I say don’t give up Disney for a guy. I wouldn’t compromise any part of myself (and my love of Disney is part of me) for a guy. If they love you they will understand. I converted my last boyfriend to Disney. He had never been to Disney World before he met me so eventually we made a trip together and he was hooked. I’m hoping I get as lucky with the next guy but if I find a guy that I can’t convert then I will still make trips, just without him. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE to go to WDW with a boyfriend but the last thing I would want is to drag him someplace where he would be miserable. I’m not into basketball and if I meet a guy that loves basketball then I would be perfectly fine with him going to games with friends and leaving me at home (even though Tampa doesn’t have a basketball team…I’m trying to use an analogy here…I happen to like baseball, hockey and football!). I hope you get as lucky too!!! :mickey:

Jenemmy
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
You don't have to change who you are or what you like in order to find the right man for you. Mr. Right will love you as you are.

I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 14 years now. While he likes Disney well enough, he is not fanatical about it. However, he thinks it's kinda cute that I am -- so it all works out. LOL. I listen to him drone on over new car brochures and he let's me drool over the newest planning video and we just humor each other and accept all things about each other.

My point is...your man may not have to be disneyfied, but content with the fact that you are. :thumbsup:

MMouse6937
07-11-2007, 11:28 AM
I'm agreeing with everyone above. Don't give up who you are for any guy. Whether it's Disney or anything else, denying that's who you are won't make a good relationship. My DH doesn't love Disney, but he does respect that I do. He also doesn't mind our yearly trips to WDW, he has a good time. He is a motorcycle freak, and although I don't get it, I repect that it's part of who he is. Our garage is full of motorocycles and our house is full of Disney stuff. We've made it work that way. Don't give up who you are for anyone. Someone out there will either love Disney as much as you or thinks it really cool that you do. They're out there. Good luck :hug:

SBETigg
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not saying you should change who you are in any way, and I definitely agree that if he doesn't accept who you are (Disney obsession and all) then he is not Mr. Right. BUT, maybe you're not giving a man a chance to find out who you are before chasing him away with the Disney obsession. I have no idea, but it's a possibility. Did you see the movie "How to Lose a Guy in Nine Days" (or was it ten days? whatever- Kate Hudson, Matt McCounaughey). She decorates with all kinds of froofie things that scare him? The Disney decor, if done to extreme, could be like that for a guy.

Any guy who has a chance to get to know you will come to love the Disney obsession as part of you, but maybe take time to let him get to know all of you before springing that out there so fiercely that it frightens him. Does that make sense?

My DH was not a Disney guy when I met him. He had never been there and did not even get it. But we fell more in love while watching Lady and the Tramp together and he eventually indulged me to have a Disney honeymoon and now he loves it as much as I do-- but I still keep my Disney collectibles to a minimum because it's not his favorite decor choice. I also talk about it sometimes but recognize when he's had enough and his eyes glaze over and we have to change the subject to sports or something now and then. We compromise. That's love. Best wishes for you.

LauraleeH
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't change for anyone. If they don't accept that part of your life, then they're going to try to change more than the whole Disney thing, and before you know it, you won't even know who you are.

My old boyfriend never cared for Disney before he met me, but after seeing how excited I was when I talked about it and how happy it made me, he found it cute and enjoyed it.

My one guy friend doesn't like Disney but when I'm upset about something or just sad, he'll say, "Disney!!!" just because he knows it will make me smile, if not laugh!

Even if a guy doesn't obsess over Disney, he should at least appreciate the fact that you love it so much, so don't worry about it.

SunnyLee
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Thank you!!! All those were uplifting and insightful..thank you...we'll see..
...I'll try to be more patient and slow with how much the Disney of me comes out in the 'relationship'....course nothing bothers me more than when the guy fakes his interest in Disney or works too hard at humoring me w/ my "obsession"...gracious why is it so hard!!! :bang: Thanks to all again!!!! :mickey:

..and to LauraLeeH...um...my name is LauraLee H too!!!! Crazy!

Ian
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Last time I checked, the male/female poll in regards to INTERCOT members was pretty close to an even split, so we're out there.

I'm sort of in the middle with this. I love Disney, but I can tell you that even for me there is a limit. I could be chased away by someone who was too obsessed, to the point that there wasn't anything else in their lives. Balance is key for me.

I think you might need to ask yourself if this is a catch-22 situation. Maybe you are so into Disney and so over-the-top with it because you aren't in a serious relationship? And maybe you aren't in a serious relationship because of the Disney obsession?

I don't really know you, so obviously all this is nothing more than random speculation and dime-store analysis, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I would say, though, that you definitely should try and find someone who cares about you and respects you enough to love the things that you love. That applies across the board, Disney or otherwise.

BMan62
07-11-2007, 01:03 PM
In any relationship, if you have to give up the thing(s) that you really care about, then you will never be happy.

In this case, your love of Disney would be a 'deal breaker' in that you would always hold it against your partner for giving up one of the things that make you truly happy.

Just tolerating Disney is a start, but I believe you would find that it would be a wedge between you the first time you wanted to go and he said no.

Also, you need to be sure that his 'tolerating' isn't just trying to be 'macho' and covering his own enjoyment.

JM2CW

Jenemmy
07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Just to add to my earlier post on this thread....Never forget how fun it can be to find common interests in your relationships! I'm not saying forsake Disney stuff -- but be willing to branch out into other things, too.

PirateLover
07-11-2007, 02:58 PM
My boyfriend loved WDW as much as me and has since grown to like the movies as well. There are definitely guys out there. And even if you don't find Mr. Disney, I agree that you should not change yourself and that there are men out there who will love you even if they don't Disney as much as you do. But I also agree that your life shouldn't be all disney 24/7. On the flipside, say you were dating a guy and went back to his house and you didn't know much about him yet and it was wall to wall star trek memorabilia and he wouldn't stop talking about it.... if you didn't like star trek you might be turned off. So give a guy a chance to know other aspects of you first before you delve into your love for Disney.

CandleontheWater
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I agree with most of the previous posters, in that I wouldn't give up a part of who I was for a guy. You may not find someone who is as obsessed with Disney as you are, but you can find someone who loves you, quirks and all, and can respect and appreciate your passions and intrests. I know that my DH is not completely obsessed with Disney, but he has come to love it because he sees how happy it makes me. He loves to go to the parks because he loves watching how happy it makes me, which in turn, makes him happy. Today I sent him a lengthy e-mail talking about the removal of the wand, and he wrote back to tell me how much he loves it when I write him e-mails updating him on Disney news because it makes him smile. Don't give up hope, there are guys out there who may not have quite the passion that you do for Disney, but will come to appreciate it, because it is big part of who you are. Good luck in the dating world, I hope you find your prince charming.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe you are so into Disney and so over-the-top with it because you aren't in a serious relationship? And maybe you aren't in a serious relationship because of the Disney obsession?.
Nope-- disagree with this theory, sir. Am in a pretty serious relationship...going on thirty years, and equally possessed with the Mouse...:wave:
Hang in there, girl. Keep on believin'. You CAN have both kinds of fireworks! ;)
:fworks:

SunnyLee
07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Well..I don't know what to say or how to thank all those who posted! Besides: :thanks::thanks: I have been warned that I "might be obsessing w/ Disney to fill a void in my life" but I would disagree w/ that...Disney is what I like...it's what I enjoy sharing...it's what I have loved learning and so much more. My fellow teacher friends at work call me "Dis" for short and all the students know that Miss Hawkins is the "Disney Lady"...I think it's cute..okay maybe crazy but not strange....sooooo you're right..all of you..I'm not going to change who I am for a dude but I also need to learn to maybe calm it down a bit?

....PLEASEEEEEEEE note I am NOT desperate or in a state of wrecked emotions!!! Oh and I was not recently dumped either!!! Just some thoughts that have been running through my mind. And I appreciate all of your thoughts and encouragement!!!! :mickey:

Lacy
07-11-2007, 10:11 PM
My DH is certainly not Mr. Disney. However, he is definitely Mr. Right for me. He understands that I love Disney and discusses it with me sometimes. He enjoys going to the movies (especially the Pixar ones) with me. He has come to enjoy and look forward to our Disney trips. It took him awhile to come around to it because his family never really took vacations especially to Disney. Being in a relationship is about compromising and learning from the other person. I've taught him quite a bit about Disney and I've learned to enjoy things I never thought I would be interested in. I'm not sure he completely understands how I can be so fascinated with Disney but he didn't ask me to change. We have compromised and I get one Disney room and one bathroom to decorate with all of my Disney stuff and it is minimal in the rest of the house.

Just be patient and you will find your Mr. Right. Understand that he doesn't have to be Mr. Disney but he shouldn't ask you to change your interests.

kakn7294
07-12-2007, 02:24 AM
When I met my DH, he wasn't even remotely Disney obsessed and basically still isn't, but he does like all things Disney and tolerates my addiction to Intercot. When we met, I didn't like football but tolerated it and now it's grown on me to the point where I love football too. There are still things that he likes that I don't, and things that I like that he doesn't but we tolerate them for each other. The point is this - if you meet a guy that you really like, he should be able to accept you for who you are and even if he doesn't like all of the same things that you do, he should be able to accept those as well just to make you happy as long as it's within reason. Good luck on finding Mr. Disney / Mr. Right!

DizNee143
07-12-2007, 03:07 PM
my fiance isnt into disney..he told me..he just doesnt get it...but im not gonna dump because of that...we kinda compromised...
my "thing" is disney....his "thing" is cars...
i get to talk as much as i want about disney to him and he gets to chew my off about cars to me...and i of course..became interested in cars also..not as much as him...but i know things know and i ask lots of questions...and slowly he is getting to be the same way with disney..he'll ask me stuff..and you can see he gets alittle bit exicted about somethings..so hes slowly and i mean s-l-o-w-l-y coming around...but ya i love disney but i love my soon to be hubby way way more...when you find the right guy youll know and it wont really matter if he loves disney as much as you or not...

IDreamofEeyore
07-13-2007, 12:08 AM
I got lucky. My Mr Right is as big of a Disney freak as I am...although my parents put us both to shame!! :goofy:

conorsmom2000
07-13-2007, 07:32 AM
It took him awhile to come around to it because his family never really took vacations especially to Disney. Being in a relationship is about compromising and learning from the other person. I've taught him quite a bit about Disney and I've learned to enjoy things I never thought I would be interested in.

Just be patient and you will find your Mr. Right. Understand that he doesn't have to be Mr. Disney but he shouldn't ask you to change your interests.

I agree. My husband is certainly not Mr. Disney and he definitely grumbles a little when I start talking about going back, but he knows it's what I love, so we compromise - I camp (in a tent! :( :blush: ) in the summer because he loves it, he goes to Disney because I love it. I've got Disney stuff in my office and one Disney bathroom, he's got what I call "Mike's World" in the basement. (etc.....) To me, there is a big difference between someone who won't even begin to understand your love of something and someone who will be willing to compromise. Luckily, Mike thinks my love of Disney is cute - it's not necessarily his thing, but he loves what makes me, me - and so that means Disney.

If you are dating a guy who hasn't been to Disney, then don't give up on him until you've at least taken him there - that could make all the difference! Mike totally gets into the spirit of Disney while he's there and I love that. (He's the one that went on the DVC tour! :D ) But, if he were to act miserable the whole time, and take away from my fun, well, that would be a problem....

Good luck - he's out there! :mickey:

Caroleh
07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
I think the more important thing is the guy loves you because of who you are. My DH and I are so completely different. After work I can't keep still, I have to be doing "something"(scrapbooking, sewing, playing games on the computer, etc...), my DH on the other hand is happy watching TV and surfing the net. The DH loves watching History Channel, Discovery and Space TV. I'm not into that sort of stuff, but thats okay because I do my own thing. On the other hand, my DH will go to quilt shops with me and help me pick out fabric, because that's what I love. I have a tendancy to take classes(cooking, bellydancing, etc...) after work because I don't like sitting at home. My DH is my rock, he keeps me grounded(not in the form of punishment) and I keep my DH on his toes, I make him laugh after a stressful day because I know he needs to lighten up. I love to have fun and he's more serious.

To be honest, Disney wasn't a part of our lives until last year when I won the trip. I fell in love with Disney. He was very quiet about everything, but every now and then I see him getting excited about our upcoming trip. So you may never know because it's not the "manly" thing to say you like Disney.

So I guess what I'm saying, even you're not into the same things, you can compliment each other.