PDA

View Full Version : AKL scent question

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-10-2007, 05:59 AM
It may sound weird, but I'm really curious about the scent at the AKL. I've seen shows and read things indicating that when you enter the AKL, there is a fragrance (Disney pipes it in so to speak) of the fire place with accents of cinnamon. I'm wondering how thick the cinnamon smell is?

I ask because I'm allergic to cinnamon, and if it's thick enough in the air I could have trouble breathing. But, the resort sounds like a dream come true for me otherwise. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth taking the risk of visiting, or if I should just admire the pictures and videos.

BigRedDad
07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
I have not been there since our Honeymoon in 2001, but I don't recall a cinnamon scent. There is a distinct scent from the fireplace that is always burning. It does tend to be a heavy scent, but it was a pleasant scent.

Someone that has been more recently may be able to answer the cinnamon question.

DVC2004
07-10-2007, 08:03 AM
I don't think I've ever noticed any scent there that I can recall.

DDuck66
07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
We ate there last October and at Christmas and I did not notice much of a smell. At Christmas it seemed like there was more fragrance, but I thought it was from the Christmas Tree.

FutureCorpsFan
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
It's mostly a burning wood scent, but it's not annoying. However, the smell gets ingrained into your psyche so that after you are long gone from AKL, you instantly get brought back whenever you smell burning wood. This happens to us whenever we go to a brick oven restaurant or when people are burning leaves in the fall. It's a great thing to take away with you.

Tinkerfreak
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
We love the welcoming scent that hits you the minute you enter the lobby. I never thought it smelled like cinnamin though, more like the smoke smell from the fireplace and just the smell of the wood floors etc.

MinniesMom
07-10-2007, 02:56 PM
In my opinion, the smell is more from the open kitchen in Boma (right below the lobby.) It's more of a wood burning oven smell like someone else mentioned. Definitely not cinnamon.

LandFan
07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
It's mostly a burning wood scent, but it's not annoying. However, the smell gets ingrained into your psyche so that after you are long gone from AKL, you instantly get brought back whenever you smell burning wood. This happens to us whenever we go to a brick oven restaurant or when people are burning leaves in the fall. It's a great thing to take away with you.

Yeah, we were at a Carrabba's the other day and I got a whiff of it and I was instantly transported back to the AKL lobby :D I don't recall cinnamon either - just a woodsy smokey smell. MMMMM - fabulous!

Goofy Dad 13
07-11-2007, 02:43 PM
We love the AKL smell!!!:D Never thought of cinnamon when we were there. It is amazing how a certain scent can bring back so many memories.

NJRRK
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Be careful, 11 years ago I got an asthma attack from the smoky fireplace in the WL.

Luckily we were just visiting an not staying there.