PDA

View Full Version : Which home resort would you pick...SSR or AKL?

ldc12377
07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
We are considering buying DVC but we can't decide which resort we would pick. We would pick SSR or AKL because the contracts are longer. We had originally picked SSR because it is closer to parks and such but now I read somewhere that AKL is going to have a really great pool area like the Beach Club does. Is that right? Does anyone know where I can find this out for sure? If that is the case, we would probably go with AKL. Our kids love the water and so do we. Any thoughts?

Donald A
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I own at SSR but I voted for Animal Kingdom. This is because if I had the choice when I bought, I would have probably picked Animal Kingdom. I just think the Animal Kingdom Lodge has more character. However, one big, big downfall is transportation. Animal Kingdom Lodge is all by itself. At least SSR has Downtown Disney nearby and often within walking distance depending where you stay within the resort.

Ian
07-09-2007, 10:08 PM
We had the choice and picked SSR. It was really no contest for us ....

First off, the incentives were better on SSR. Secondly, it's a better location and much closer to the parks than VAKL. Also, it's going to take another 2+ years for AKL to get fully built out, so that pool won't be open until some time in 2009.

Also, FWIW, SSR's pool is really nice.

Pirate Granny
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
If the pool is anything similar to the YC/BC then I would pick AKL...We stayed at SSR and it was nice, however the main pool was small and there was no area for adults (deep)...and only one hot tub for the main area, whereas the YC/BC has three in the main pool area. If you love the water...then go with the pool...a couple of years is worth the waittime...if they are having a similar pool...

:pirate:

Maleficent's Dad
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I chose SSR for two reasons:
(1) It's currently in full operation - running with pools, transportation, all rooms open ready for immediate use.
(2) We own some points there! :D

Also - the jury's still out on VAKL. The biggest question seems to be what will happen with annual dues. Now I'm not saying they will go up significantly, but there have been several posts here about how they could go up. A bit concerning... :unsure:

richardsa98
07-09-2007, 11:00 PM
...and only one hot tub for the main area, whereas the YC/BC has three in the main pool area.
:pirate:

Actually, there are two hot tubs at the main pool! One is tucked away where most people can't see it:cloud9: It made for some nice quiet soaking....
To answer your question, we had the choice and chose SSR. The maintenance fees at AKV has me a little curious as to how fast they will rise. My guide when i was buying said that do to the animals and such they will probably end up with higher fees in the long run...

Horizon93
07-09-2007, 11:33 PM
We went with AKV, We really like the theming, the way Kadani will look, the animals and the overall feel.

I think that it comes down to which one feels better to you. They are both great resorts and SSR has great pools as well.

Good luck with your choice.

dlpmikki
07-09-2007, 11:38 PM
I went for AKL because the room layout is more flexible (eg one beds can sleep 5 and have two bathrooms) and it is such a unique setting. There is certainly going to be a new pool area (the current pool is already the largest in area on property) with interactive features but I am not sure how it will compare to Stormalong Bay.

EmcDuckRN
07-10-2007, 10:46 AM
I went with SSR. both in voting and in buying.

Africa isn't really my kind of theming.

Now if there was something Carribean, or if they did the rumored Contemporary one, that would be theming I'd like!

mprewitt
07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
We went with AKV, We really like the theming, the way Kadani will look, the animals and the overall feel.

We went with AKV for the same reasons.

SSR is nice, but just not our cup of tea.

Fortgoofy97
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I can't vote! Either one would be fine! I think my first choice would be for AKL, for no other reason than its new, and different! I own at SSR and am looking at buying AKL!

Mushu11756
07-10-2007, 01:05 PM
My vote would be for SSR.:thumbsup: Yes I have points there and it's mainly a DVC resort for Members. I think AKL will be like The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, connected to a hotel rather than a resort just for DVC Members.:mickey:

So if I'm paying for point's and due's I want to own at a resort that is just for members and not have to share the property with hotel guest's:number1:

sillyolbear
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Voted for SSR. One because it is our home resort. But more because of the transportation issue Ian mentioned and we've never been that enamored with the AKL.

Horizon93
07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
So if I'm paying for point's and due's I want to own at a resort that is just for members and not have to share the property with hotel guest's:number1:

The connection to the main resort is also something that we liked about AKV. Even in the rooms that are in the resort, access is limited to DVC members on the DVC floors. When Kadani Village opens up, it will be a separate property with its own savanah, pool, restaurant and shops. So we will get the benfit of being near the AKL, be near Jiko and Boma, but still have a home of our own.

mprewitt
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Buy where you want to stay. If you're into SSR, buy there. If not, and you're into AKV, buy there.

Advantages of AKV

The "11 month window" will be more advantageous at AKV than SSR, due to the point-saving value rooms and the concierge rooms. These types of rooms will go quick and probably necessitate calling at 11 months.
The 1 BR can sleep 5 versus 4 at SSR. Also, the rooms at the new Kidani Village wll have an extra batchroom compared to SSR.
The savannah with the Animals!
large water playground/pool
Jiko and Boma!
Lease is 3 years more than SSR (2057 vs 2054)Advantages of SSR

Lower maintenance fees
Direct access to DTD (for restaurants and nightlife)
Onsite Spa
Completed (unlike AKV, which is under construction)

Carol
07-10-2007, 02:08 PM
True Ed - but it's all a matter of opinion. That's why it's nice to have a choice.

I'll take having the restaurants of Downtown Disney at my finger tips over Jiko and Boma any day. Not to mention the shops and transportation. :thumbsup:

Horizon93
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Carol,

That is a great point. I think you have to choose the one that suits you the best. I was just responding to the "attached to a resort" concept. It is great that we have the option to choose between these two great options!

Ian
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I'll take having the restaurants of Downtown Disney at my finger tips over Jiko and Boma any day. Not to mention the shops and transportation. :thumbsup:Not to mention, the much closer proximity to three of the four theme parks (the best three, I might add).

MinnieMommie
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
We love SSR - it is just a good fit for us and we love being near DD. Visited AKL on our trip a few weeks ago and did a promo for the DVC there. While it is beautiful it is a bit far away from everthing (which some people like) and all in all not our preference. And by the way, there is more than one pool at SSR. We stayed at the Grandstand and enjoyed the beautiful, private pool there. Grandstand also has a large area with multiple water sprites shaped like horse's heads. Very cool! Additionally, Grandstand has a poolside bar with snacks and a station for refillable mugs. The other pools (in addition to the main pool)are at Congress Park and Paddock. Each DVC has a very nice but differnt feel. :mickey: