PDA

View Full Version : Need honest opinions: Moderate w/heart condition

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Preface: My dad has a heart condition. He's a trooper and as long as we pace ourselves, he holds up pretty well most of the day. There are times however, where he "hits the wall" and runs entirely out of energy and needs to call it a day. We're going on a 10 day/9 night trip in December and he's going to need to be able to get back to the resort and rest from time to time during the course of our trip.

So, we booked for FOFQ since it's a smaller resort and would be easier for him to get to and from the room, bus stop and main building if he needs to rest.

Then, we contacted AAA and found out we can save about $450 by booking with them, but the good price is available at every Moderate except POFQ. So, we're considering switching to another Moderate.

What I'd like to hear from you, is what you think our best over all option would be between POR, CSR or CBR in terms of distance from the room to the main building/bus stops (we'll be requesting the closest to the main building/bus stop due to medical conditions no matter what, so keep that in mind) and the overall feel of the resort, (relaxed, quiet, etc) distance to parks, special features, cool extras (can you see park fireworks from the resort,) etc for the best over all choice for our needs.

I know, it's a lot of questions, but what ever info or opinion you can give me is immensely appreciated!

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
It will still be a walk. I think if you tell them he needs to be close to the bus stop for med reasons they will comply if at all possible. Also, what about an ECV? They will go on the busses and quite a few of the rides. Some rides you would need to transfer to the ride vehicle. It would give you peace of mind during your stay and help your dad get around without taxing him so much.

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
He won't do the ECV. He's not in terrible shape or anything, he just gets worn out and tired faster than the usual person. It's been about 5 or 6 years since the last heart attack and he's in pretty good condition, all things considered. The main thing that I worry about it that he's able to get to the room and rest if he feels like he needs it.

I probably worry more tha I need to, but he is my daddy after all! The CM's I've spoken to when discussing reservations, all documented the heart condition on the room requests and said that room requests for medical reasons are given priority and that everything possible is done to accomodate them. I know we'll still have a bit of a walk no matter where we are.

moe513
07-09-2007, 09:22 PM
When are you visiting wdw? If its a slower time it will be easier to get what you requested. I know cbr has "prefered" rooms that cost a little more but the benefit may be worth it.

pwdebbie
07-09-2007, 09:41 PM
My husband has health issues and everyone has suggested POFQ. Walking can become a big problem for him, but like your dad, he will not consider an ECV.

We haven't been to DW before (ok, I was there the year it opened, but we haven't been together), so I can't tell you anything from practical experience. I'm just going by what everyone else has told me -- family, friends, people here on these boards, Magical Journeys, etc. So, I am trusting them all and plan to stay at POFQ.

Deb

RAIDER
07-10-2007, 03:49 AM
CBR its so peaceful and tranquil ..just make sure you ask for a room near the foodhall :thumbsup:

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-10-2007, 05:54 AM
When are you visiting wdw? If its a slower time it will be easier to get what you requested. I know cbr has "prefered" rooms that cost a little more but the benefit may be worth it.

Dec 1-10 (Yes, Pop Warner week)

melcha
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi, I went to riverside last summer with a heart condition. so I understand your concerns.
Please request a bottom floor room in building 15 0r 14 and you will be fine as it is the closest to bus and food court.:thumbsup:

DDuck66
07-10-2007, 10:33 AM
The CB has a bus stop at every building. The longest walk is from the bus stop to the building which is anywhere from 25 to 100 yards depending on where your room is located. If you have your own vehicle, you can park it out next to the bus stop, and then drive up to the loading area.

bleukarma
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I stayed at All Star Music with my great aunt who has a pace maker about three weeks ago. When I made the reservations I didn’t even think about asking for a room close to the bus stop because I was more worried about getting a room close to my parents (which I didn’t get anyway). We ended up in the furthest room in the furthest building that you could possible get. So what I did was park as close as I could get and we drove to and from the bus stop. At the bus stop we parked in the handicap spot and it was just a close walk across the street to the busses. For my next trip I will know to make a request for medical reasons.

I would think that no matter what resort you stay at they will accommodate you with being close to the bus stop because of medical reasons. I just don’t know if AAA will make sure the request is in. I know going directly through Disney you get to talk to the actual Disney reservation CM’s. With AAA it’s just an agent and I’ve heard horror stories about requests that don’t get put in. But at the same time, $450 is a pretty big savings, it might be worth a try. When you get there if they put you far away then you could always talk to the front desk and see if they can change you because of the medical reasons.

Also, I would put the actual resort phone # in your cell phone or keep it with you. I know that all the resorts have wheelchairs and if you are coming back from a long day at the parks and your dad just doesn’t seem like he can make the (hopefully) short walk back to the room then you can sit him down and call the front desk and tell them the situation and ask for a wheelchair to be brought out to where you are. I know they will gladly do that for you, we’ve had to have them do that for another great aunt of mine. You’re dad doesn’t have to use it for the rest of the trip, but you never know what can happen.

Disney seems to be very accommodating to people with health issues. One time I was with my grandpa and we were waiting on the bus to get back to the resort and my grandpa just couldn’t make it. He doesn’t have heart problems but he was suffering from complications from diabetes. We told the CM at the bus the situation and they got a private van to take us back to the resort since my grandpa couldn’t wait in the bus line. If you think you’re dad is having a problem (lets pray it doesn’t happen!) then don’t be afraid to speak up. He might protest but in the end it’s better to be safe then sorry.

Kairi_7378
07-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Another vote for Riverside... Tell the resort that you want to be in Building 14. If they can't accommodate you, buildings 18 and 27 are also very close to the main building, main bus stop, and food court. There is a great page on Info Central that will tell you how to request buildings.
You will be very close to POFQ, so you can take a walk over there and check it out for your next trip. Good luck!

Chipfan
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
When I went in 2006 I had my grandparents with me and my grandmother has a heart condition but is normally fine to walk around but I also had my grandfather who has decreased lung capacity, asthma and emphysema among other problems. We stayed at CBR and it was great we were in Martinique in a preferred room and it wasnt that far to the bus at all. It also was only a couple of minute walk to the food court. We did get him an ECV for when we were in the parks because there was no way he would be able to walk it but he had no problems walking to and from the food court at CBR anytime we needed him to. He would even just stroll on his own to the lagoon because it was so close

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I am so touched by everyone's concern, thoughtfulness and understanding. :blush:

After a lot of number crunching, and looking into options, and getting Dad's input, we've found that we can get 2 rooms at Pop Century for the same price (with the AAA discount) we would pay for the one room at a moderate. Dad's stayed at Pop Century before, and loves that resort. They're always able to get him in a room close to the main building, either on the ground floor, or very near an elevator. He's decided that would be the best way to go so if he gets tired or wants to keep a different schedule than us, he can and he won't feel "in the way." (His words, NOT mine, he's silly sometimes!) But, we'll all still be close together.

So, we're losing some of the peace and serene theming that we'd get at a moderate, but dad will have his own room and he'll be at his favorite resort where he loves to stay and knows he'll be comfortable. I can tour POFQ and take a carriage ride with the boyfriend one evening while were there and get my POFQ fix:cloud9:, and rest easy at night knowing dad's comfortable and where he wants to be.

POFQ = next time!

Thank you all immensely! :rocks:

KAT1811
07-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Glad to hear that you seem to have a plan that will work wonderfully for you. Glad to hear that you care so much for your father, it really says a lot about a person.

For future reference I would recommend Coronado Springs. I know that many say the resort is quite spread out, which is true to a point, they have a golf cart type shuttle that circles the lake and takes you by each and every building. So if your father wanted to go back and rest he wouldn't have to walk at all. Just a very short distance from the bus to the "lake loop". I thought this might come in handy for any future trips you might be taking.

Have a great trip!!!

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Awe, thanks Kat!

Also good to note, is that after going over all the numbers, we're actually saving almost $500.00 by staying in 2 rooms instead of one!