PDA

View Full Version : Don't let them get the Hat, too.

Gator
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
For all you folks out there who really loved the wand on SSE, stay vigilent. The same people who whined the wand into oblivion won't stop there. The Hat at DS is next. We must fight against those who wish to turn WDW into a boring old folks home.

So who's with me? Keep WDW looking Disney!:mickey:

mcjaco
07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Except your "keep it looking like Disney" logic is flawed. The whole point of Disney World and the other parks is to take the guests to representations of places. When was the last time you saw a giant scorceror hat in front of the Chinese Theater? It completely ruins the whole purpose of the sight lines that the imagineers created when you walked into the park.

As for the wand removal, the whole purpose of SSE was to create a representation of Earth. Putting that infernal wand took away the entire meaning of SSE. It's the one thing that bugs me about all the wand activists, you all seem to be lost on the purpose of SSE and Future World as a whole. :mad:

The wand makes EPCOT Disney :ack: Pahleeze.

Ian
07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
That hat is the most God-awful abomination in Disney history.

If they put charges on each of it's legs, I'd volunteer to be the guy who pushed the button to blow it up.

brad192
07-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I actually kinda like the hat, but it's placement in front of the Chinese Theater was a BIG mistake. Ruins the whole atmosphere. Couldn't they have placed it more towards the entrance to the park?

That being said, I doubt it's going anywhere in the near future...

automation85
07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
My hope is that, after they finish updating the rest of MGM, they break it down. Just looking at it makes me want to walk out of the park. :walk:

When is the MGM anniversary again?

Gator
07-09-2007, 04:17 PM
As for the wand removal, the whole purpose of SSE was to create a representation of Earth. Putting that infernal wand took away the entire meaning of SSE. It's the one thing that bugs me about all the wand activists, you all seem to be lost on the purpose of SSE and Future World as a whole. :mad:

The wand makes EPCOT Disney :ack: Pahleeze.

Maybe we "wand activists" tend to think that there is a literal giant hand guiding earth. The wand represents what we all want to believe.

As for the Hat not fitting in, use the same logic and ask yourself when was the last time you saw a European castle at the end of a 19th century main street? It's not about logic, it's about Disney.

big blue and hairy
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I can tell you one thing, if pin trading stays popular, don't expect the hat to go anywhere....

:sulley:

llamaface
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
As for the Hat not fitting in, use the same logic and ask yourself when was the last time you saw a European castle at the end of a 19th century main street?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

r4kids
07-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I like both the hat and wand. I am sad to see the wand go, it will make it look a little plain without it there. I do agree in removing the hat from in front of the chinese theather. I would love to see it in a new location! I think the chinese theather is very cool. Anyway just my :twocents:.

74 days to go!!!!

Jasper
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
For all you folks out there who really loved the wand on SSE, stay vigilent. The same people who whined the wand into oblivion won't stop there. The Hat at DS is next. We must fight against those who wish to turn WDW into a boring old folks home.

My, you are quite the brave individual expressing such heresy on a site like this!!!:D:D Just kidding actually.

Here are my thoughts on the hat.
1. Love the hat!
2. Hate the location of the hat!!!!
3. Hate that they haven't ever found any better use for it than to sell stuff!!

Bottom line is that if they had put it in any number of other locations it would have been fine and why do they have to defile what the hat represents to so many of us by doing nothing more than selling stuff out of it.

SBETigg
07-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I like the hat, but I also hate the location of the hat. I think it would be great to really see the theater again. But the park is lacking an icon without the hat. The solution would be to keep the hat, but relocate it.

mcjaco
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe we "wand activists" tend to think that there is a literal giant hand guiding earth. The wand represents what we all want to believe.

As for the Hat not fitting in, use the same logic and ask yourself when was the last time you saw a European castle at the end of a 19th century main street? It's not about logic, it's about Disney.

As much as I'd love to think Mickey is guiding us through the universe, it's kind of scary too. EPCOT is the one place characters were not a part of the overall plan, with the exception of Figment.

If you want to get really into details, the castles aren't at the end of Main Street. They're at the opposite side of the hub and the entrance to Fantasyland. Main Street ends on the otherside of that hub. So there. :D

EvilQueen2006
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree with those who say they like the hat but not the location. I think it would look great at the park entrance, or at the entrance to Fantasmic. As for SSE, I'm glad the hand and wand are going,I think it looks silly. I wouldn't mind if they left the "Epcot" and the stars though.

Polynesian Dweller
07-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I like the hat, but I also hate the location of the hat. I think it would be great to really see the theater again. But the park is lacking an icon without the hat. The solution would be to keep the hat, but relocate it.

Absolutely right about the icon for the park IMHO. Disney can't really use Grauman's Chinese as the icon, that belongs to Mann Theatres who partners with the likes of Dreamworks, Fox, Warners, but not Disney (at least as far as I know). So, they have to create their own icon. Does it block the view, sure, but its hard to think where else they could put it and still be the park icon.

GrmGrninGost
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I loved the wand and sign. :( Sorry to see them go. I love the hat, but I wish they could move it from in front of the Chinese Theatre.

automation85
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
But the park is lacking an icon without the hat.

Are you suggesting that the water tower was not good enough? I thought the whole point of MGM was to focus on everything Disney from a movie production point of view. The back lot, the animation studios...

I'm sad to see that it is slowly moving towards what all other parks are. Each park should be in it's own a park with the tie being Disney. Why do we need every park to have bits of every movie in it?

MGM has a lot of changes in the works. My only hope is that Pixar doesn't spread further. Could you imagine a giant lamp instead of the hat! :ack:

Anywho, the hat must go. It destroys the Hollywood feeling in front of the theatre and it cheapens the park. If people want pins, they can go to the millions of other locations throughout the Disney properties.

LoriMistress
07-09-2007, 06:37 PM
I hated the wand at Epcot. The hat at MGM...personally, I don't have much of a problem. I can see why people would hate it, because it blocks the Chinese Theatre...and yes, it does block it. But the hat has grown on me. If Disney decided to remove it, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Ian
07-09-2007, 06:43 PM
The problem with the hat is obvious ... it completely blows the theming of the area out of the water.

It's supposed to be a park themed as a working Hollywood movie studio of a bygone era (20's, 30's maybe?). When was the last time you went to Hollywood and saw a huge hat standing in front of the Grauman's? I'll tell you the answer myself ... NEVER!

Quite honestly, this had to have been a decision by the marketing people and not WDI, because only marketing/suit-type people would be so clueless as to plop a huge hat smack-dab in the middle of one the main areas that carries the theme of the park.

That's the equivalent of sticking a big hand up next to Spaceship Earth or decorating Cinderella's Castle like a big birthday cake or something!!

Oh wait ..............

dolphinmickey9170
07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
The hat should move to elsewhere....anywhere.....just not where it is. The wand, I love, but I'm sure for the 25th anniversary, something will be taking its place?!? Don't you think? They can't let it just go by without something happening.

Pastcastmemberdaughter
07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Gator;1348604] We must fight against those who wish to turn WDW into a boring old folks home.
QUOTE]

Wow I'm only 24 years old and I don't like the wand at all. Instead of starting college next week, maybe I need to cancel that and call the nearest nursing home instead, I feel so old now! :(

Anyway, I agree the hat is ok, but the placing is terrible. I like the idea of putting it back around Fantasmic. Go watch the show and then go to the hat, make sense to me. I bet they would make more money back there. Everyone just goes back there to either stand in line for a while or sit around for the start of the show. Where it's at right now, most people are usually too much in a hurry to get to the next show or ride to stop and check it out.

Lizzie
07-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I have never seen DW without either. So I am not sure how I feel. But I really like the name of this thread. It made me lol.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Another fan of love the hat, hate the location. :thumbsup:

JPL
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
If they put charges on each of it's legs, I'd volunteer to be the guy who pushed the button to blow it up.

Maybe they could borrow a few Rocket engines from NASA and launch it towards the sun :thedolls:

cubbie
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM

Honestly, the idea that there is a "literal" giant hand guiding the earth scares the pooh out of me. However, I think NASA and the property of physics, in general, have already disproved this theory. On the other hand, the idea of a "figurative" giant hand (perhaps that of a mouse) guiding the earth is pretty cool.

That being said, I'm glad the wand is gone and Spaceship Earth is back to the way it was. As for the hat, it's a pretty cool symbol of Disney, but I think the Earful Tower is a better symbol of a movie studio theme park, so the hat is really unncecessary. Move the hat, and bring back the awesome view of Grauman's.

2Epcot
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM

The hat is just out of place. I feel bad for the Imagineers who spent so much time desgining the park, and the entrance.

They can always replace the Castle with a 90ft tall Mickey Mouse ... would that make the Magic Kingdom more Disney?

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 07:27 AM
The problem with the hat is obvious ... it completely blows the theming of the area out of the water.

It's supposed to be a park themed as a working Hollywood movie studio of a bygone era (20's, 30's maybe?). When was the last time you went to Hollywood and saw a huge hat standing in front of the Grauman's? I'll tell you the answer myself ... NEVER!

Yeah, but as has been said before, when was the last time you walked down the street in small town America and saw a huge Castle at the end of the street? I'm pretty sure that's never, too.

Personally, I like the hat, but wouldn't care if it was gone, but the continuity arguement just doesn't work. When was the last time you walked from the UK to Japan?

Spaceship Tigger
07-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Honestly, I say who cares. The hat looks fine, it's just in an obviously odd location. I think it was probably placed there for legal reasons concerning the Theater. I guess the alternative would have been to tear the theater down, but then everyone would have been screaming to just cover it up with something.

Now the wand I liked. It's been a bit depressing to hear the cheers from the anti-wand crowd, especially since there's so many other things that WDW could be spending the money for its removal on.

Stu29573
07-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Yeah, but as has been said before, when was the last time you walked down the street in small town America and saw a huge Castle at the end of the street? I'm pretty sure that's never, too.

As it's also been said before, the castle isn't technically at the end of Main Street, it's at the Entrance to Fantasy Land...:mickey:

playdead88
07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
i like the hat - the wand i can take it or leave it - but the hat?! its a giant hat - how cool is that?! maybe it could have been put in a better location but when you're dealing with a giant hat your options for placement must be limited :party:

kakn7294
07-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I kinda got used to seeing the wand - I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it - it was just there. I'll be glad to see SE go back to just plain old SE just as I'm always happy to see Cinderella Castle return to the gray and blue of it's origins after the Imagineers get tired of dressing it up. As far as the hat, I like the hat but I hate where it's located. It really does look great but not in front of the theater. It really ruins the whole old Hollywood look of MGM's "main street". I miss walking into MGM and feeling like I stepped back in time - I just can't do that with a giant Mickey hat staring me in the face. I'd love to see it stay but placed elsewhere - perhaps in the middle of the Animation Courtyard or even out in front of the park in the courtyard before you enter the main gates.

Terra
07-10-2007, 08:22 AM

:thumbsup::magic::clappy: Couldn't have said it better myself!!

I'm with the OP....LOve them both!

faberj
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't hate the hand & wand, but don't love it either. I think SSE looked great all on its own. I remember how much in awe I was the first time I saw SSE (20 years ago) and when I saw it on my honeymoon with the hand and wand was a little disappointed.

As for the hat, I do not have a problem with it, though I was never to the stuido's before the hat. I did think the studios watertower was the icon and not the hat.

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 09:20 AM
As it's also been said before, the castle isn't technically at the end of Main Street, it's at the Entrance to Fantasy Land...:mickey:

That is bending facts to fit your arguement. I'm sure technically the hat is also not the end of the street. It's closer to the theater than the shops. :fresh:

It's still the view of the end of both streets. :mickey:

LauraF
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
With all due respect, try Europe. There are a lot of towns that have odd architecture there. Besides, whoever said fantasy had to be logical?

For me it's all about the views. I don't like not being able to view the Chinese theatre. Pre TOT days, the walk down the main street in MGM was so wonderful becuase of the view. I thought it was stupid from the day I saw it being built, not the least becuase of the problems it causes with traffic. Perhaps if the Hat were moved to a better location I'd like it.

But I understand where you're coming from - if someone tried to remove one of my favorite items I'd be pretty upset too. (Good thing the Wand wasn't one of them. W00t!)

mcjaco
07-10-2007, 10:11 AM
^^ Except that it's not bending facts. The castle is on the opposite side of the Hub. The Hub is at the end of Main Street. :razz:

EmcDuckRN
07-10-2007, 10:20 AM
In my humble opinion, (and that is all it is)

I liked the wand on the Ball. It represents a lot, and decorated it nicely. Otherwise all I heard were complaints about the "golf Ball"

I also like the Sorcerer's hat, not only says Disney, but represents Movie Magic. More specifically, DIsney Movie Magic.

Having been a Southern Californian, I'd be willing to bet that no one here would trade it for what is in front of the real thing, Homeless living in cardboard boxes and "ladies of the Evening."

I personnally like Disney for the Fantasy, If I want reality, I'll stay at work or go to the real places.

Also remember that the Icons are there to fulfill the place of "Weenie" to draw people down into the park rather than have them all bottle up at the entrance. They all fulfill their roles nicely.

Jared
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
My, you are quite the brave individual expressing such heresy on a site like this!!!:D:D Just kidding actually.

Here are my thoughts on the hat.
1. Love the hat!
2. Hate the location of the hat!!!!
3. Hate that they haven't ever found any better use for it than to sell stuff!!
I agree with all three of these points. The hat is an impressive structure but does not fit at the end of Hollywood Boulevard. One of my favorite views was a clear shot of the Chinese theater down the road. Having the hat in front of The Great Movie ride is equivalent to putting a hat in front of Cinderella Castle.

I don't understasnd why a pin trading stop could not exist at that location without a distracting blue hat.

Scar
07-10-2007, 10:48 AM
...when was the last time you saw a European castle at the end of a 19th century main street?I've seen it (or at least pictures.)

Let's see... there's one in Anaheim, Hong Kong, and Paris. :D

January-2007
07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
I don't like the hat.

Marker
07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm going to go along with the original poster and say that I like the Hat. I think it makes a much better icon than a water tower.

But then I rather liked the wand and hand on SSE. Guess if that makes me some sort of blasphemous moron then so be it, I can live with that.

And while I like the hat, and the wand, neither of them makes or breaks my experience at the park. If the existence, or non-existence, or either of them ruined my entire experience, and made me just want to leave, well then I think I'd just stay home to begin with.

KInd of like the old Birthday Cake Castle, I didn't much care for that (although I'd never say "hate", that's much too strong an emotion for something such as this), but whether or not the castle was pink really had no (or very little) effect on my overall enjoyment of my visit to the Magic Kingdom. While I enjoy the castle as part of the atmosphere, there is much, much, much more to enjoy than just looking at the castle. Same with the wand and hat.

But that's just my own personal opinion, not the ultimate universal truth, nor the one and only valid opinion. It's just my own silly little opinion.

So, to summarize...... chalk me up as 1 vote to keep the hat.

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
^^ Except that it's not bending facts. The castle is on the opposite side of the Hub. The Hub is at the end of Main Street. :razz:

Sure it is, look at a map of Disney-MGM, the hat is obviously in a hub too, so it's also not technically at the end of the street. :razz:

AvonleaCF
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Hate the wand/hand.
Hate the hat.
Hate when they dress up the castle.

carribeanpirate5
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Can we take the hat and put it on top of the Epcot ball.....sort of a party hat for the 25th anniversary???

mcjaco
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Sure it is, look at a map of Disney-MGM, the hat is obviously in a hub too, so it's also not technically at the end of the street. :razz:

I was referencing MK. Yes, the hat is in the hub of MGM. If you can call it a hub. :confused:

I don't mind the hat, I'd like to see it in the Animation Courtyard where it'd fit better. Then the sightlines of Hollywood Blvd wouldn't be messed up. If it has to do with the theater, plant some trees to block it.

Figment78
07-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Also remember that the Icons are there to fulfill the place of "Weenie" to draw people down into the park rather than have them all bottle up at the entrance. They all fulfill their roles nicely.

I agree with EmcDuckRN. Was the hat a marketing/park design solution? Yes. Is it that bad? Personally it was my least favorite but I don't hate it.

Like someone said previously, all you ever heard about SSE from the "unexperienced visitors" was "That's the park with the golf ball right?" So many people didn't get the earth representation part of SSE, so I'm guessing the wand did not bother those people at all. I am not looking forward to hearing people talk about the golf ball again.

That being said, the hat has always bothered me because
a) there is no attraction in it, and
b) when you take pictures from the entrance of the park you sometimes end up "wearing" a big hat!

But I do think it fits with the concept of Disney movie magic, because of it being the Sorcerer's hat and MGM has always featured Sorcerer Mickey over other Mickey roles.

Just my 2cents....

Polynesian Dweller
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Are you suggesting that the water tower was not good enough? I thought the whole point of MGM was to focus on everything Disney from a movie production point of view. The back lot, the animation studios...

The Earful Tower, when decorated was nice, but never quite made iconic status. It just wasn't easily viewed from most parts of the park and the only time you could get near it was on the Backstage trolly. To be iconic, the symbol has to be more prominently placed than that and have more impact on your day in the park.

To me it always seemed that MGM was rushed into reality to be out there to compete with Universal which was considered a big threat at the time.

DisneyPrincess17
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
i think the hat adds a sort of charm to the park. as with every other park the hat is the symbol that makes it disney. For example MK has Cinderella Castle, Epcot has SSE( which im not happy that there taking the wand down), AK has the Tree of Life, so its only fitting that MGM has a symbol which happens to be the sorceror hat. for all those people who think it doesnt really belong in front of the Chinese theater why not? The sorcer hat was in a movie and that movie is featured in the Great Move Ride. Not everything has to be exactly like the real thing otherwise people would go there instead of Disney. The hat gives MGM that "Disney Magic" and i think that the spot is very fitting!

LibertyTreeGal
07-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Move the hat! It would make an excellent road cone...... I want to walk in the gates and see the theatre!!! There must be someone else it can go....

DrumTastik
07-10-2007, 04:36 PM
\ for all those people who think it doesnt really belong in front of the Chinese theater why not? The sorcer hat was in a movie and that movie is featured in the Great Move Ride. Not everything has to be exactly like the real thing otherwise people would go there instead of Disney. The hat gives MGM that "Disney Magic" and i think that the spot is very fitting!

The sorcerer's hat doesn't belong in its current location because it absolutely smothers the entrance to The Great Movie Ride. Not only does it obscure the view of the Mann's replica, it crowds it to the point where the entire theming is lost. When you look down the main entrance of the park, you can still see pieces of TGMR poking out from behind the Hat. It's like a small child who can't see SpectroMagic because some big oaf decided to plop down in front of them. The addition of the Hat/pin station caused a conflict in theming, because of the proximity to the existing structure behind it. Sight lines became skewed, an enormous shadow (both figuratively and literally) was cast on TGMR, and the entire theme of the Hollywood-that-never-was became disjointed.

When Disney/MGM Studios was rushed to opening, one of the few things that were worthy of praise was the entrance design/theme. This is why you find long-time fans of the park's design (any park for that matter) unhappy with the disruption that was caused by a poor decision to erect the hat/wand/birthday cake.

ryca1dreams
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
I hated the big Epcot wand and hope it will be gone by mid September.

I didn't like the hat at first but now don't care either way. It really should be moved somewhere else though.

Maleficent's Dad
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow, am I surprised at the support for the hat! I never woulda thunk it...:scratch:

That hat is the most God-awful abomination in Disney history.
Ian, I'm with you!!!
:ditto: :exactly: :ditto:

garymacd
07-10-2007, 08:05 PM

I never thought a giant hand guided the world...I thought the world was held up by some giant named Atlas. Where did I go wrong?

cubbie
07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
After reading some more comments, I still think the hat needs to move, but I now agree with the statement that the Studios needed an icon like the other parks, which all have theirs as the central view.
However, and I know many fans will disagree with this statement, I don't think the sorcerer's hat, which appeared for less than 20 minutes in one film (or two, if you include the 2000 version), should be the icon of a movie studio theme park. I love the idea of the sorcerer's hat as much as the next person, but it's more of a Disney symbol than a movie symbol. The obvious response to this statement is that it's a Disney park, so it should have a Disney movie symbol, but if you look at the other parks, the Tree of Life has nothing to do with Disney (aside from the inside), SSE has nothing to do with Disney, and, although MK has Cinderella Castle, this was modeled after Disneyland, whose original castle was not themed after anything Disney, just the idea of fantasy, in general.
To me, using the hat as the symbol of the Studios is the equivalent of using Pride Rock as the symbol of AK and the Robinsons' house as the symbol of Epcot. I apologize for opening up a whole new argument here, and I have nothing against those who disagree with my opinion, which could be considered a completely asinine statement to some, but that's just my two cents.

big blue and hairy
07-11-2007, 07:28 AM
the entire theme of the Hollywood-that-never-was became disjointed.

Weeeeellllllll.....there never was a giant sorcerer's hat in Hollywood....:D

Fantasmic
07-11-2007, 09:40 AM

If they took the stupid hat down, then MGM would look like Disney again.

TheRustyScupper
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
. . . The same people who whined the wand into oblivion won't stop there. The Hat at DS is next . . .

1) Workers (I mean guests) of the world unite!
2) Rebel. Rebel. Rebel.
3) Rise Up. Rise Up. Rise Up.
4) Defeat tyranny and oppression (rather, depression)
5) Let's get rid of the
. . . hat at MGM, or move it to another site
. . . tombstones in front of Spaceship Earth
. . . new night-by-night resort pricing
. . . long campaign cycle for presidential elections
. . . blue M&M peanuts
. . . ringing of cell phones in restaurants
. . . reality tv shows

Gator
07-11-2007, 11:38 AM
However, and I know many fans will disagree with this statement, I don't think the sorcerer's hat, which appeared for less than 20 minutes in one film (or two, if you include the 2000 version), should be the icon of a movie studio theme park. I love the idea of the sorcerer's hat as much as the next person, but it's more of a Disney symbol than a movie symbol. The obvious response to this statement is that it's a Disney park, so it should have a Disney movie symbol, but if you look at the other parks, the Tree of Life has nothing to do with Disney (aside from the inside), SSE has nothing to do with Disney, and, although MK has Cinderella Castle, this was modeled after Disneyland, whose original castle was not themed after anything Disney, just the idea of fantasy, in general.

First, there is no other movie more associated with Mickey Mouse and Disney than that short segment as the sorcerer's apprentice. It is the pinnacle of the Walt/Mickey association.

Second, the Tree of Life does have a Disney connection. Pop in the Lion King DVD in your player and see if you see anything familiar.

The main point of the Disney theme parks is to bring movies to reality. My kids want to see Mickey, and Nemo, and Donald, and Simba. The wand and the hat represent this drive.

Figgyluv03
07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I was actually glad to see the wand go! I don't know, it just ruined the look of SE. I do however love the hat! I was there on CM night when they opened it before the guest could see it! And I don't think Disney should get rid of it.

mcjaco
07-11-2007, 12:26 PM
First, there is no other movie more associated with Mickey Mouse and Disney than that short segment as the sorcerer's apprentice. It is the pinnacle of the Walt/Mickey association.

Second, the Tree of Life does have a Disney connection. Pop in the Lion King DVD in your player and see if you see anything familiar.

The main point of the Disney theme parks is to bring movies to reality. My kids want to see Mickey, and Nemo, and Donald, and Simba. The wand and the hat represent this drive.

And to add to this, the castle at DLR is Snow White's castle, so it IS from something Disney.

My argument with the wand, is that EPCOT was not supposed to be about Disney movies, TV, cartoons, etc. It was a vision of the future and the societies that make up the world. Not Nemo or any of the other Disney characters. So Mickey's hand with wand was ill placed.

Ian
07-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, but as has been said before, when was the last time you walked down the street in small town America and saw a huge Castle at the end of the street? I'm pretty sure that's never, too.The reason I don't lend this argument any credence is simple ... Magic Kingdom is the theme park of fantasy. In a fantasy world, a castle at the end of Main Street USA is a possibility at least (not to mention that it's not on Main Street proper and is technically in it's own section of the park).

The Studios is one park themed entirely around the concept of Hollywood and a working movie studio, ergo, a big dumb hat is out of place no matter where it is.

Juggalotus
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
I am glad the wand is going. I kinda liked it as a 2000 decoration, but it should not have stayed.

Good Riddance.

frakers
07-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Magic Kingdom is the theme park of fantasy. In a fantasy world, a castle at the end of Main Street USA is a possibility.

Absolutely correct! Regardless of what the location is called (i.e. Main Street), it is located within the Magic Kingdom. It is in the center. If you want to get technical, it's also at the edge of Fantasy Land.
A lot of work went into the design of the theater so that it would be authentic. Now you have to stand at the foot of it to see what it looks like. The theater represents Hollywood. The hat represents a movie made in Hollywood. It could have gone anywhere and should have been put someplace else. No, the theater is not an icon but I guess I must be old because I recall that the Earful Tower was the icon for the Studios. That's the water tower to those that don't know. In fact, it used to be the one displayed on park merchandise depicting the 4 park icons. Heck, they don't even put the Santa hat on it anymore (or maybe I just missed it last year). Where did it go wrong? What brought it to this loooowly state?
And as far as imagining the wand as a The giant hand guiding the Earth....I don't recall ever having seen the gloves, much less a wand in pictures, but maybe I don't pay attention. Come on, it's Mickey Mouse's hand. While I think he's great, uuuhhhhh.....

Also, I would submit that Steamboat Wille, among several others, would vie for that title before a segment within Fantasia, but that's me.

DrumTastik
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Weeeeellllllll.....there never was a giant sorcerer's hat in Hollywood....

You got me there :D

Of course if there were, I doubt they would plop it down in front of a Hollywood icon either. I can see it now, a gigantic blue hat (that sells maps to the stars homes of course) placed right in front of the "Hollywood" sign. Classic.

:beer:

ImagiAsh
07-11-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with the majority here and say that, while I like the hat, I hate the location. It completely blows off the theme of the park. All eyes see the hat walking down that street and not the atmosphere that was created to represent old Hollywood. It's just very weird to me that they decided to do that. And I agree with Ian when he said it had to be the marketing people, not WDI. When I become CEO ( :laughing: ) I will definitely have that moved elsewhere.

Fantasmic
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM

That is personified in the Partners Statue in the Magic Kingdom.

The TOL is based on a Baobob tree, which is native to Africa, and would have featured in the Lion King, but it's not specifically drawn from the film

I don't remeber seeing that hand in any Disney movies?
The Hat, block a view to the recreation of one of the greatest movie theatres in the world.

To be honest, I wouldn't say the main point of the Disney theme parks is to bring movies to reality, I thought the main point of the Disney Theme Parks was a place where familes could enjoy time together

To Quote Walt Disney (opening day speech)
"Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world"

To quote Roy Disney:
"May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and New Knowledge to all who come to this happy place… a Magic Kingdom where the young at heart of all ages can laugh and play and learn—together"

Nothing about recreating the movies there.

Think of all the rides in WDW that weren't tied in to movies:
Rockin Rollercoaster
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Alien Encounter
All of Epcot...

I could go on

FormerCastMember
07-11-2007, 05:32 PM

Are you kidding me? The studios always had an icon....im sure you have seen it before...its a big water tower that has mickey ears on top of it

FormerCastMember
07-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Hahaha if that is truly the case and you think that Cinderella Castle is at the end of Main Street U.S.A. then i suggest you pick up or look online for any copy of the Magic Kingdom Park Map and while you are doing that go ahead and tell me which land you can find Cinderella's Royal Table? Im almost positive that you will find it in Fantasyland, and one more thing...isnt Fantasyland themed to be a European type village/town...so to me a European type castle fits perfectly there...

FormerCastMember
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Can we take the hat and put it on top of the Epcot ball.....sort of a party hat for the 25th anniversary???

that could quite possibly be the dumbest idea i have ever heard in my entire life....and while we are at it do you think we should bring back the Cinderella Castle Cake and have the Wand Hand be holding a fork instead?

big blue and hairy
07-11-2007, 06:17 PM
The reason I don't lend this argument any credence is simple ... Magic Kingdom is the theme park of fantasy. In a fantasy world, a castle at the end of Main Street USA is a possibility at least (not to mention that it's not on Main Street proper and is technically in it's own section of the park).

The Studios is one park themed entirely around the concept of Hollywood and a working movie studio, ergo, a big dumb hat is out of place no matter where it is.

Hmmm..... Ian maybe you should look up a little Hollywood history, the folks that opened the Hollywood Brown Derby shaped like ummmm...hmmmm A BIG DUMB HAT!! might disagree....:D

What happened to Disney-MGM representing the Hollywood that never was? That would be what? I believe that would be fantasy. The hat is fine, as is my arguement. :thumbsup:

mreinventtt
07-11-2007, 07:17 PM
:drama:Lets not stop at the hat and the wand ..Why not dismantle the castle then when you are done there chop down the tree at AK? :nudge: I absolutly love the wand and the hat. If I want Hollywood I will go to California. The hat adds to the park, it dosn't take away. :smickey:
Missy

automation85
07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
:drama:Lets not stop at the hat and the wand ..Why not dismantle the castle then when you are done there chop down the tree at AK? :nudge: I absolutly love the wand and the hat. If I want Hollywood I will go to California. The hat adds to the park, it dosn't take away. :smickey:
Missy

Stop. Cinderella's Castle and The Tree of Life were placed in those parks for the specific purpose of being "weenies" or foci to draw people into the park from the moment the parks opened their doors. The hat and wand were celebratory constructions that should have been taken down after the celebration. Altering the materials to make it appear that they are part of the parks now does not change their original interntion. Sorry.

cubbie
07-11-2007, 08:44 PM

Someone beat me to the punch about your second point. As for your first point, although I agree that the sorcerer Mickey is ONE of the pinnacle moments of the Walt/Mickey relationship, I will reiterate what I said before. It represents more of a Disney symbol than a movie symbol, and it doesn't fully represent the idea of a movie theme park. The Sorcerer Mickey is popular, not because of the movie (which was considered a box office failure at the time of release and, aside from the 70's, never really got a second wind), but because of the fact it is one of Mickey's outfits. It's more of a marketing symbol than a movie representation. To me, the sorcerer's hat as the icon of the Studios makes as much sense as putting up a giant steamboat steering wheel in front of the Chinese Theatre.

And to add to this, the castle at DLR is Snow White's castle, so it IS from something Disney.

I will concede that the original name did associate it with Snow White, but it was not based on the castle in the film. Like I said before, the main icon of the Magic Kingdom is based on the idea of fantasy, in general, not a castle that was from one of the movies.

To bring back the whole point of this, I still believe that the hat doesn't need to be destroyed, just moved, since, at least in my eyes, it doesn't belong as the icon of the Studios.

Gator
07-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Nothing about recreating the movies there.

Think of all the rides in WDW that weren't tied in to movies:
Rockin Rollercoaster
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Alien Encounter
All of Epcot...

I could go on

I guess I could go on much longer about rides that ARE based on movies.

And for those claiming the Castle is on the other side of the hub, not on Main Street, why is the front facing Main Street? Don't get me wrong. I love the castle. But I've seen the real Mann Theatre and have always thought it to be ugly...completely out of place from the architecture surrounding it. The same goes for DS. The Hat covers what I consider an eye soar...in any city.

Magic Smiles
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I loved the wand and I love the hat. I will certainly miss seeing the wand on our next visit. Epcot will not be the same for me on my approach to it. Mind you, I have never been to WDW without both of these icons being there.

automation85
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM
But I've seen the real Mann Theatre and have always thought it to be ugly...completely out of place from the architecture surrounding it. The same goes for DS. The Hat covers what I consider an eye soar...in any city.

I'm sorry, but I think you are backwards on this argument. If anything, the original Mann Theatre is the only decent looking thing on that block. The surrounding architecture is run down and ugly. The reason it doesn't fit in is because it actually is taken care of, as opposed to its neighbors.

So, how is it that the eyesore is a true Hollywood architectural icon, as opposed to a giant hat, which may have pretty sparkles on it, but has no place in Hollywood. It is understood that Mann theatre will never be the MGM symbol, but by no means is it ugly. :noway:

PirateLover
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
In regards to the Tree of Life, for some reason it always made me think of Grandmother Willow from Pocahontas. I guess because she's kind of "alive" herself? I dunno, lol.

In regards to the hat, the only time I ever went in it was to buy my Pal Mickey. I think it is really annoying. Once I was coming out of the Animation tour and was trapped by the High School Musical Pep Rally that goes on right in front of the hat and it was an absolute mob scene. The wand didn't phase me either way, but I do find the hat to be distracting and in a very awkward location.

Tink#64
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Missy

Yeah Missy! Wow lots of different opinions! I too love these icons - they were all there when I visited each of these parks for the first time. I can't imagine what SSE will look like without the wand! Naked to me! I loved looking out from the balcony at Pop at night & being able to see it! The hat - I love it. That was the only pic we had printed from the Photopass last year. It seems to me - only my opinion here - that those that remember the parks before these icons don't care for them - and maybe those of us that don't know the parks any other way really like them! ?

big blue and hairy
07-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm not absolutely positive, but I'm pretty sure the castle and tree comments were a joke...

mcjaco
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess I could go on much longer about rides that ARE based on movies.

And for those claiming the Castle is on the other side of the hub, not on Main Street, why is the front facing Main Street?

I'd bet if you ran down all the rides, it'd be about 50/50.

Second, why would they make you enter Fantasyland from the backside of the castle? That's just plain moronic. Check your MK map, it's on the other side of the hub. The hub is guest's portal to all the lands, it's a non themed area. The castle's main purpose besides being the entrance to Fantasyland is a landmark throughout the park. That way directionless guests will always know where the center of the park is.

carribeanpirate5
07-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Stop. Cinderella's Castle and The Tree of Life were placed in those parks for the specific purpose of being "weenies" or foci to draw people into the park from the moment the parks opened their doors. The hat and wand were celebratory constructions that should have been taken down after the celebration. Altering the materials to make it appear that they are part of the parks now does not change their original interntion. Sorry.

So lets not stop at the hat and wand. Lets take out Soarin' and the car stunt show because they were placed in WDW for a celebration. Toontown should go because it was not part of the original design. SM and BTMRR should be dismantled for the same reason.

Lets face it change happens. Not everyone likes what is changed, but sometimes you need to live with it.

automation85
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM
So lets not stop at the hat and wand. Lets take out Soarin' and the car stunt show because they were placed in WDW for a celebration. Toontown should go because it was not part of the original design. SM and BTMRR should be dismantled for the same reason.

Lets face it change happens. Not everyone likes what is changed, but sometimes you need to live with it.

I understand change happens. A decoration is not a change though. Soarin' and the stunt show were new shows. The hat and wand have no attraction other than a look, which really should not be needed. If they were to make a new attraction where the hat was integral, great! But this is not the case, it is an unneeded store. I think that the idea of placing in animation court was a great idea because, let's face it, it is from an animated short and that area has a big open center that, if the hat were a tad bit smaller, would benefit from an attractive decoration.

The wand, on the other hand, did nothing for me. I looked at it and wondered why they would cheapen the look by leaving it there. Going back to the concept of a themed area, SSE was supposed to be the welcoming futuristic structure to a future world. Adding a wand on top and leaving it there basically says, hey it's boring, let's put something on it. Plussing is fine, but only when it actually adds to the park. Changing "2000" to "EPCOT' is not plussing, it's an attempt avoid too much work ($$).

But hey, if you'd like to see the parks leave decorations up for longer than necessary, make sure to ask a disney representative to leave up the year of a million dreams signs for a few years.

Carol
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
:stop:

If you really have such strong feelings about the future of Disney World you are much better off contacting Disney about it. Bickering back and forth on a Vacation Planning Discussion Board is not going to get you anywhere.

Lets move along.........