PDA

View Full Version : Updates to Star Tours

Rosanne
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
From {another site}...

Some much needed upgrades will be taking place in MGM's famed Star Tours ride within the next year. Disney will be refurbishing each simulator to have 5 rear-projected Digital 3-D screens with one screen in the front and two smaller screens on both left and right sides of the simulator, as well as hydraulic lifts at the center rear area of the simulator. The audio system will also be upgraded to the DTS-HD Master Audio System inside the simulator as well as a DTS-HD Master Audio External system, which is used when simulator hatches are in the open position, are opening, or are closing. Also, the front projected IMAX Dome projectors will be facing upwards and will be external of the simulators. The ride will also include three Audio-Animatronics; one will be stationary and two will be able to "walk" around. On a minor note, the ride will also include polarized 3-D glasses, which will be themed for the ride. This is VERY exciting!! Star Tours really needs an update, and I was afraid they would get rid of it all together. ...
I'm glad they are updating MGM, one of my favorite parks.

Figment!
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Just to be clear, as the article makes it sound like fact, these Star Tours changes originated on another message board from a self-proclaimed insider and are far from being confirmed.

GothMickey
07-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Far from being confirmed but exciting none the less. I do not know how true these rumors are, but I love the sound of it.

sandwalker44
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
In the name of all that is good and Disney PLEASE let these rumors be true. With six films to choose from, with a myriad of scenes to be recreated, and with an entire TV show to start marketing, Lucasfilm had better get started making this ride a lot better. Ice crystals in space, c'mon! You're better than that, G.L. Don't be that guy. Don't. be. that. guy.

emmingo
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
I hope many of these rumors are true...except for one--the 3-D glasses. I wish that they'd lay off the 3-D glasses! I can't stand the rides with those things! :sick:

I think it would be a lot better if they upgraded instead of making it three-dimensional...

battle beast
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
To me, it seems like they are changing the whole ride around. Although I like Star Tours, it COULD use another film. There is plenty of ways they could do this without changing much.

The ride was creadted in the early eighties to capitalize of the Star Wars craze, and while the movies have a big following, the craze isn't nearly as big.

So changing the movie might help revitalize the ride for the average person. Keep both films, but... well I won't beat a dead horse. :yoda:

ghost999
07-10-2007, 01:53 PM
what would be cool if they made the different movies out of the posters that they have when you get done with the ride.:mickey:

battlefield2freak
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
that sounds great if its true. one thing i dont like about it though is why is it always 3-D glasses cant they make like a 3-D clip on for ppl with glasses, bc when i go to the tree of life, the muppets show i have to take my glasses off to wear the 3-D ones and then im basically blind. just another idea i think would be cool is if they added one more simulator for a total of six and then they could 6 different movies, one for each of the star wars movies and then they could have different lines for each of the versions. i know its cool but virtually impossible for them right now

Tekneek
07-10-2007, 06:24 PM
It sounds too exciting. I won't believe any of it until it is actually open for business.

x Kris x
07-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I cant wait. I only really ride Star Tours to get through to the shop. I know you can go the other way, but riding a boring ride at WDW is better than doing nothing :) I just find it rather dull.

Tygger7
07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
The ride was creadted in the early eighties to capitalize of the Star Wars craze, and while the movies have a big following, the craze isn't nearly as big.

You haven't been there on Star Wars Weekends, have you? Definitely don't even hint that Star Wars isn't HUGE anywhere in a 5 mile radius of MGM during Star Wars Weekends, or someone will sick a Wookie on you. :chewy: I have the daughter that kept following the "Hot Anakin" around whenever she saw him.

But, my daughter had an awesome idea for ANOTHER Star Wars themed ride (after all, one ride for 6 movies just isn't enough...)...have it themed around the battle of Mustafarr, complete with lava ...and Anakin. Between George Lucas and Disney, I know they can come up with something awesome....and hopefully Star Tours will be up and functioning when we go back next May...or there will be a very distraught 15-year old needed a "trench" fix. :thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
that sounds great if its true. one thing i dont like about it though is why is it always 3-D glasses cant they make like a 3-D clip on for ppl with glasses, bc when i go to the tree of life, the muppets show i have to take my glasses off to wear the 3-D ones and then im basically blind.

How big are your glasses? I used to wear glasses and I always put the 3-d glasses over them. It always worked pretty well.

:sulley:

battlefield2freak
07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
they will go infront of them but just wont stay when i look around which is why i suggested
3-D clips lol. my frames are about a 1/4 of a centimeter im guessing dont have any rulers in the house so i cant say for sure. buts not that big of a problem i just got to hold them on though

Dznygrl79
07-13-2007, 09:41 AM
I would love updates to star tours but this sounds like just another rumour, I think there would be a lot more hype surrounding upgrades. It would have made sense for them to make the anouncement during Star Wars weekends, not to be a debbie downer but I just won't believe it until construction starts. :soapbox:

battle beast
07-13-2007, 12:32 PM
You haven't been there on Star Wars Weekends, have you? Definitely don't even hint that Star Wars isn't HUGE anywhere in a 5 mile radius of MGM during Star Wars Weekends...

I NEVER said it wasn't huge, but if you compare it now to 1977 or 1980 or 1983 or 1999 when the films came out, it was 10x bigger craze!

BAck in 1977, EVERYONE went to see the film. Nowadays, it's more FANS that go than the average joe.