PDA

View Full Version : Digital or Disposable Camera in Parks?

ncscgirl2005
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
This may sound crazy but I am a first timer. Which do you bring and why? I haven't decided on whether or not to bring a backpack so I don't think I want to take my expensive digital camera and risk losing it.

CrazyStitch
07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Personally, I prefer my digital. It takes great pictures, and if I have my laptop with me, I have access to those pictures as soon as I get back to my resort! Disposables don't seem to take as good a picture, to me anyway, and since I went digital, I really hate dealing with the whole development process.

DisneyDudet
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
You want pictures to last a lifetime. The quality of digital cameras way surpasses that of disposable. I have not had a problem with my camera at the parks. I want my pictures to look the best, especially if we don't have another trip planned for a while.

Really, it depends on your comfort level and everything. For me, its nothing but digital now.

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
We have always used the little disposable cameras and our Cannon Sure Shot. We cannot tell the difference when we get back. Sometimes the disposable ones have turned out better. That being said, we now have a digital and I am looking forward to having more freedom of taking as many pics as I want!! No reloading, no saving film for the night show, no running out of film right before something I really want pics of!:mickey:

ncscgirl2005
07-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I love my digital camera and recently purchased a new 2 GB memory card especially for this trip so I think I might as well go for it and bring it anyway.

TiggeRia
07-09-2007, 11:55 AM
My vote is for digital. Yes, you do need to be more careful with it, but the quality of the pictures far surpasses those of a disposable camera. Plus you can review your shots and decide right then and there if you like it or not. Benefits definitely outweigh the risks, IMO.

JPL
07-09-2007, 12:12 PM
I also prefer digital and with the sales on Memory cards you can take all the pictures you want and then have the options of editing them on you computer when you get home. It's amazing what some fixes can do to make average pictures look awesome:thumbsup: Digital also allows me the freedon to only print the pictures I really want.

Lizzie
07-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Always digital. You spend so much on your vacation you want to make sure your pictures turn out. And with a digital you can look through them to make sure you got the shot you want.

BelleBeauty
07-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Since I went digital, that is all I use at the parks. Yes, you have to be a little more careful, but no more careful than you have to be to make sure anything else (wallet) is safe. I always bring a bag, whether large or small. I make sure that I have a padded case for my camera, as well. I put the camera is a special smaller pocket so it isn't bouncing around and I know where it is when I place my bag on rides with me, etc. The quality and flexiblity can't be beat!

dolphinmickey9170
07-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I prefer my digital camera. I have a 50 year celebration bag that I carry with me and my camera fits right in one of the pockets. The best part of that is.....if you take a pix and it doesn't come out right, for whatever reason, you can retake the picture. If you have the alternative, you don't know that there is a problem until you get home and develope your pix. Then you can't fix it can ya???:D

snifflesmcg
07-09-2007, 02:20 PM
DIGITAL!!! Take it from somebody who takes pictures of EVERYTHING. In 2003 I used disposables, in 2005 & 2006, I used a very expensive film camera. I was dead set againt digital for a long time because they weren't all that great for a long time. I now have a digital and wouldn't trade it for the world.

With a digital you can snap away all day and night and not have to worry about changing film or breaking out a new disposable and they are actually more cost efficent (and less to carry as well). If you take a bunch of, let's say, castle at night shots and they dont turn out, you still have to pay for them to develop. God forbid you run out of digital cameras, the cost of a disney camera is SO expensive. Sorry, I know I'm rambling, lol.

crazeedizneefinatic
07-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Digital definately! We just purchased a Sony cybershot, 7.2 megapixals. This camera is so awesome! The quality is amazing, like nothing I have ever seen! We had an old digital last trip and am really looking forward to this one with our new digital. For anyone looking for an amazing camera at a fair price check this one out! It has a movie mode that will record just like a camcorder for how ever long you want. The camera is so small too. Our old camera recorded for a max of 3 minutes. This one is infinate! The sound quality is excellent too! We just purchased 2 extra 4gb cards for our upcoming trip in September. I am hoping to get some great video.

like2workout
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
i always take a digital camera and a friend of mine uses the disposable ones. we both get duplicate sets made - i give her mine and she gives me hers. mine are always much much much better quality! last year for the first time she decided to go digital too and it was much better. the colors are so much more brighter, and with disney, there are a lot of colorful characters! also the night time shots on the disposable barely come out at all. i also recently started carrying a back pack for the camera, extra batteries, etc. i wouldn't go without a backpack now. it's so much easier to keep up with everything.

January-2007
07-09-2007, 03:22 PM
We took disposable cameras in October. Still haven't developed them. We took digital camera in January and May, look at those pictures at least once a week and rotate them as my background on the computer. I vote digital camera.

dteed
07-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Digital for us, I let my kids use it the entire trip unless there is a pic I want to take. We have come back wi upwards of 600 pics, most are junk, but some are of things you wouldn't normally take and they are great. My youngest sets them up as a screensaver on our laptop.

dog-ears
07-09-2007, 04:26 PM
You can get disposable cameras that are digital, so that would seem to be the perfect solution!

GottaluvTiggr
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
My mom always brings her digital. I would say digital because well i would think you could hold more pictures.:D

caryrae
07-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Digital here too. With a digital camera you have one camera to carry but with a disposible camera you would need to carry a few or keep buying them which can get costly. To help keep track of our digital camera I use a cell phone holder that the camera fits in. That way it is always clipped on my side ready to go instantly and if you find one with a flap over the top that will help keep it secure. Also like many have said you can delete pics if you don't like them on a digital camera.

Goes4FastPass
07-09-2007, 05:17 PM
My wife carries a small digital camera. We last used a 4gb card with a backup 4gb card in her pocket with spare batteries.

We take thousands of pictures every trip.

Polynesian Dweller
07-09-2007, 05:55 PM
The smaller,compact digitals work quite well. Mine has a case that lets me wear it on my belt and its never been a problem.

We also have a SLR type digital (big in other words) and thatis a little bit more problematic on rides but we can still get around with it OK. The rides have places to stow the things you are carrying so you can stow even the large one's easily and safely.

Go Digital:thumbsup:

LoriMistress
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
I bring both (digital and film.) I like the classic film, but there are some pictures that digital works better with.

vamaggie
07-09-2007, 07:59 PM
DH likes digital. I prefer the disposible for the ease and no worry facotr. I have not seen too much difference in the 2 for picture quality and the kids like to have their own disposible ones to take pics of what they want so we take both (and honestly I end up taking more pics with the disposible ones!)

crazypoohbear
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
I bring my digital, I have a camera bag that holds the camera, cell phone, key to the world card, credit card, cash. etc. It's like carrying a purse but much smaller.
I usually give the kids disposable so if they get lost it's not an expensive loss.

BigRedDad
07-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Digital all the way. I have finally convinced my wife to ditch the throw away cameras. With those, you do not know how the pics turn out until you develop the film. Plus, the picture quality is poor. With digital, you can see what the picture looks like, can take another if needs be, can store 2000+ pictures with a $50 memory card, and it is FAR cheaper in the short run. Typically, you can recover cost in a year for a digital camera.

avantgardeinker
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
We go with the digital everytime!! It takes way better pictures than a digital. We take our laptop and upload all our pics at the end of the day so we have an empty memory card for our camera the next day. That way we don't have to worry about how many pictures we've taken or how many we have left. We come away from a week long trip with over 1,000 pics!!

149 more days!
:mickey:

DDuck66
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I would have to say to take the digital...we have never had a problem with losing it and of course you can review your pictures and make sure that they turned out. Also, we have a portable printer so we can print out the pictures for our autugraphs each night at the resort.

CuteAsMinnie
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I definitely go with the digital. Better picture quality, easy to use and they can be uploaded to your computer instantly.:thumbsup:

mainemajor
07-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Didgital. You are able to review and keep the good photos right away. This allows you to delete bad one and gives you the opportunity to retake a shot if possible instead of waiting for developing the film, usually back home, and not being able to get that one shot.

IloveDisney71
07-10-2007, 06:17 PM
I always take my digital camera and a waterproof disposable camera. I use my digital camera for all of my pictures in the parks and around our resort. However, I love to have a waterproof disposable camera for water rides and the water parks. The Fugi brand comes with a wrist band so it won't get lost when you are on all the rides at the water parks. I've gotten some really fun shots that I would have missed if I hadn't taken the disposable camera.

campdisney
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
We bring both -- our good digital camera for us (mainly for dh) and the disposable cameras for the kids. DH loves the digital quality. I like being able to delete the cruddy looking shots at the end of the day.

The disposables are great for the kids though! I'm never worried if they get dropped or lost. Plus its a hoot for me to see dh and both kids snapping away like fiends, each with their own cameras, on Kilamanjaro Safaris.

On a side note, put an address lable on your camera. My dh left our brand-new-just-for-the-trip digital camera in the food court at AKL. Before we'd even noticed it was gone, the front desk called our room to say someone had turned it in.

kimommy63
07-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey,
1st time I went I brought 2 disposables and my old point and shoot camera. I shot like 8 rolls of film and both disposable. And after paying to have all the film developed, I was crushed! I had paid a fortune for a lot of really bad shots. Last year we went twice and both times we brought our new digital cameras. I took over 900 pics with my camera alone! My husband took nearly as many. And then I could go through them at the end of each day and decide which ones I liked the best and delete the rest. I loved this freedom. Something to consider!:mickey:

KAJUNKING
07-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I love my digital camera and recently purchased a new 2 GB memory card especially for this trip so I think I might as well go for it and bring it anyway.

i agree with digital, but one thing we are going to do is instead of buying the 2 gb cards, we are going to get the smaller 512 mb cards (which are really cheap) and once they are full of the pics we want, flip the switch to lock them and keep them as back-ups

DisneyPrincess17
07-11-2007, 08:32 AM
First of all congrats on your first time on going 2 WDW! :party: I think that digital cameras are best for one reason they have a memory card of like 200 pics when a disposable has like 25. On a digital camera u are able 2 decide if u want to keep the pic or if its a bad 1 just delete it. Thats just my oppnion. Also i deffinetly think u should take a back-pack. I mean u always want to have an umbrella or poncho with u at all times. Also ur gonna need ur wallet so i would bring a back pack. Have fun for ur first time at WDW and be sure to tell us all about it when u get back!!! :mickey:

kaerbear178
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Definately take the digital. It's so nice to be able to take unlimited pix and retake the ones that didn't turn out very well. We have a little pouch with a strap for it that I wear like a purse. We just put our tickets in there and don't even take another bag. It's nice not carrying all that extra weight around all day. It is just the 2 of us though, no kids.

emmingo
07-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Definitely digital! Its more cost effective in the long run, since you don't have to develop shots you know you don't like, can take a million and dump the memory card every night into a laptop (or bring extra), and you don't run out of film (or cameras) so you don't have to buy expensive film or cameras in the parks. Two things, though--bring a waterproof bag to keep it in (like a makeup bag or plastic Zippy bag) so that if it gets wet on KRR or SM (and my stuff always gets wet on Kali, despite the nifty cubbies), the electronics won't get ruined, AND be sure to bring at least a few extra batteries. I ran out in AK last time and had to pay $15 for four batteries! :mad:

Squeaky Mouse
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
Both my dh and I love photography, so we take our Nikon D50 with a couple of lenses. We also take our older Kodak DX6490 for our older ds to use.

McGoofy
07-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Digital definately! We just purchased a Sony cybershot, 7.2 megapixals. This camera is so awesome! The quality is amazing, like nothing I have ever seen! We had an old digital last trip and am really looking forward to this one with our new digital. For anyone looking for an amazing camera at a fair price check this one out! It has a movie mode that will record just like a camcorder for how ever long you want. The camera is so small too. Our old camera recorded for a max of 3 minutes. This one is infinate! The sound quality is excellent too! We just purchased 2 extra 4gb cards for our upcoming trip in September. I am hoping to get some great video.

This post took the words right out of my mouth. All I can say is :ditto:

I own the exact same camera and love it for photos and movies. This camera doesn't require batteries either. You just have to remember to bring your charger and charge it up every few days. I would never go back to a regular camera now. It is so nice to know that you have the exact picture you want, and be able to re-take it if you did not get what you wanted in the first shot. Also, we go "bagless" all the time in the parks. This camera is so small that it fits comfortably in the front pocket of my shorts or pants. I will put in a small sandwich size ziplock bag if it looks like rain in the forecast. I have never had a problem with it.

jrpersinger
07-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Both my dh and I love photography, so we take our Nikon D50 with a couple of lenses. We also take our older Kodak DX6490 for our older ds to use.

I have the Canon XTI and 4 lenses. However, I only ended up using the one it came with while we were in the park. Carring around the camera bag was a PITA along with carrying a backpack with drinks, autograph books, etc.... So whats your secret? I REALLY REALLY want to be able to use all my lenses when we go back next year. I missed some really good shots because I had the wrong lens on. Not to mention, I seemed to never have a free hand when I needed to shoot. I was really disappointed with my photography this trip!

And to answer the question, I go with both. This trip I carried my XTI in the parks. And in the water parks and pool, we had a couple water proof disposable cams.

jraczes
07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
On my upcoming trip (Aug 27,2007) I will be taking my digital camera, 1 Gig card, a 512 meg card and I bought a disposable waterproof camera when we go to shark reef at Typhoon Lagoon.
Hope 2 memory cards will be enough

tarjaybuff
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
You will be disappointed by a disposable. You will want the zoom, and a digital takes better night pics.

At WalMart they have a really nice compact case for $6. You can attach it to your belt or slide it into your pocket.:thumbsup: