PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose!

JabberJaws
07-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, I need some help! I am an east coaster and my wife and I are going to DL for the first time this December. We are trying to decide on 2 sets of dates, and I need your help to pick!

The first set is Saturday, Dec. 1-Thursday, Dec. 6. Would be doing the parks on Dec. 2, 3 and 4 with a relax day on the 5th.

The 2nd set is Monday Dec. 10-Saturday Dec. 15. Doing the parks on Dec. 11, 12, 13 with relax day on the 14th.

Based on crowds, etc. what do you guys think? I know that the first date set would involve us going to a park (DCA) on a sunday as opposed to a week day so that might make it a bit busier. But the 2nd set is closer to xmas.

What ya think? Any difference, small difference, no difference?

Thanks for your help!!!!:D

tdhiatt
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM
I think Sundays are busy, but usually there is an advantage to hit a weekend day. Sometimes there are shows that only run on weekends. If I had to choose a weekend day it would be Sunday, but here is the key. Arrive 15 min to park opening. There will be a huge line, but when it opens it will go fast. When you get into the park you will own it for a couple of hours. Its the best time of the day. If you don't arrive early it will be very busy. I anywhere near the begining of Dec is great. First or second week are both good. Just make sure you beat the school rush. Most schools are still going at this time. We went the 2nd week 2 years ago and they shot the X-mas parade. Good luck

NotaGeek
07-10-2007, 02:13 AM
One thing to consider is that in December Fireworks usually only occur Friday-Sunday and the rest of the time the parks close early... be sure and check the calendar and plan your trip around this if Fireworks and long days in the parks are important!

I go every year the 1st week of December, it's busy but it really sets off the Christmas season for me! Since I have an Annual Pass I don't feel compelled to ride everything, so it's easier when you have the luxury of going several times in the year ... just remember the Holiday versions of Small World and Haunted Mansion are out of this world!

SebastiansDisneyMama
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I have gone at both times and both arn't bad. I prefer the first week, because most kids are in school, even the ones with the strange schedules we have here in AZ.

Weekends are good, Fireworks, Electric Parade usually comes back for Christmas. Definatly check the DL site for info.

JabberJaws
07-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks guys for the replies, keep em coming!

Sounds like the first date set (Dec. 1-6) might be better. This decision, unfortunately, will also be influenced by work as my wife has a big event for work on sunday, dec. 9 (which falls right in between the 2 date sets).

Who knows! We will figure something out. Anybody else have any opinions? Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

ChipDale
07-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd choose the later dates. Historically, Disneyland does their Candlelight Processional the first weekend in December and it gets very crowded for that (I know, I've been there! :crazy: ).

Unless you'd like to experience the Candlelight Processional that is, then go the first weekend.

nmbullrdr
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
It all depends. The Candlelight Processional is going on the first weekend. It is too tough to get tickets, but you can walk around it and listen to the story and music. This is also a good time to ride rides as most everyone is busy. On a weekend you have Fastasmic and the fireworks. On Monday through Thursday you have very little crowds.

Now the first week of December, Disneyland will close early, like 5 or 6 PM for cast parties. We had a 7 month and a 3 year old with us, so this wasn't a problem for us, but it might be for you. We stayed Sunday through Thursday. Sunday was open till midnight. The rest of the week, it closed early. We were glad we were there to see Fantasmic, it is worth it to come on a Sunday. During the Candlelight Processional, we walked on most every ride in Fantasyland. It is really nice to ride Peter Pan and Dumbo, without any lines!

Your first set of dates is what I recommend. You get to see the weekend entertainment. Sunday will be busy, but Monday and Tuesday will be quiet.

But if you want to ride a lot of rides, then I recommend your second set of dates. Disneyland will be open longer and a lot less crowds during the week.

JabberJaws
07-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys! Actually unforeseen circumstances involving work (how dare work get in the way of planning a trip to Disneyland!) is going to prevent us from going during the first date set, so we are going to go with Dec. 10-15. I think we are both more interested in the rides than the shows (having both been CMs at WDW, we have seen our share of fireworks and fantasmic, though I hear DLs version is better), so I think the weekdays will work out nicely for us.

Thanks for all the help though!! We can't wait!!!!!!:mickey: