PDA

View Full Version : Shiny or Dull Floor? Which one?

MsMin
07-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I can't decide.. I have a brick floor in my kitchen and it needs to be resealed and I am trying to decide on a shiny or dull finish? My son says that shiny bricks are not natural b/c you just don't go down the street and see a shiny brick building. My argument is a shiny floor looks clean and pretty.
Problem is once I do it I'm stuck with it for a while. Any suggestions?

MMouse6937
07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
If I had to do it all over again I would go with a dull, textured tile. Now, I know you have animals, and they wreak havoc on shiny tile. It looks great for about ten minutes after I mop and then you start to see little footprints and spills. You can't even spill water and not see it all over the place. I wish I had opted for something that wouldn't show traffic so much. Good luck!!

llamaface
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I agree with your son. The more natural looking, the better!

DizneyRox
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
For brick I'd go natural.

Magic Smiles
07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I have never seen a brick floor, but our kitchen floor is porceline but has the appearance of cut rocks. I love a natural looking floor.

ElenitaB
07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I had a houseful of shiny terrazo type tiles and it was very difficult keeping those babies clean. You can easily see every little speck of dust, dirt and footprint on shiny floors. So therefore... don't go with the "shiny shiny pretty pretty" in this case.

snifflesmcg
07-09-2007, 10:23 PM
I like the natural look better. Send us some pics when you are done.:)

MsMin
07-09-2007, 11:08 PM
See for me the natural looks dusty and it's hard to tell the dirt from the brick. I feel like it's never clean. :mop: You could hide a truckload of dirt on the floor. The bricks are used full brick so they have paint and marks etc.
When you all refer to it as "natural" it does sound better than when I say dirty and dull. Maybe it's just my perspective that needs to change. You all have certainly made me think about it.
"Magic Smiles" we don't have a lot of rock down here, esp. natural rock in the swamp:D Years ago bricks were used for streets and we use them a lot for patios (mine is)
Again, Thanks for replies..

kakn7294
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
For myself, I would go with a light sheen, not dull but not shiny either. The shiny tends to be more slippery especially when wet and I don't need any help to fall. :D