PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks in Theme Parks?

ncscgirl2005
07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Are backpacks allowed in theme parks? We like to carry at least one backpack with us no matter where we go. If they are allowed, what happens to them if all members of a party want to ride an attraction at the same time? Is there a place we can keep them? Also, are soft coolers allowed? We are thinking of bringing our own bottled water.

DDuck66
07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Back packs are allowed, but you have to go through the search line when entering the park. We usually get a locker to hold some of our stuff and to put the backpack in when we do not need it. We always bring extra water bottles, but I have never bought a cooler for them.

Kairi_7378
07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
I rarely carry a purse in general… I always carry a backpack in a theme park. This was no trouble on our last trip to Disney World. On most of the attractions, I put it in the front of the ride vehicle and wrapped the strap around my leg. On Splash Mountain, I put the entire backpack in a large souvenir bag (obtained from the Splash Mountain gift shop.) Other Intercotees (sp?) have suggested large Zip Lock bags for this purpose. On Soarin’, my backpack did not fit under the seat, so the CM’s held it for me on the side of the ride. On Mission Space, I squeezed the backpack into the seat compartment. On Kali River Rapids, I put the backpack in compartment in the center of the ride… no problems. There is a backpack holder built into the Everest rides (and I think in Dinosaur.)
Cast Members will check out your backpack before you enter a park. Try to have the backpack (and side compartments) open before you get to the checkpoint, it will make the CM’s job a little easier.
I am pretty sure that you are allowed to carry soft coolers as long as there are no glass bottles in them.

MsMin
07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
We always bring a backpack or at least my kids do. Anything you carry into the park is subject to inspection so whether it's a backpack or camera bag you still have to go through the security line. My kids usually bring water and take one bag so they take turns carrying it. Even when we get a locker it is just to lighten the load but they keep the backpack.

Stan
07-09-2007, 10:37 AM
What you're carrying can definitely limit what attractions you can do- unless a) it's neither big nor fragile, or b) you've got a stroller or wheelchair to leave it on outside the ride, in which case I guess it better not be valuable either, or c) you're willing to hot foot it to the lockers and back. This is where Sea World and Universal both have an advantage- lockers scattered all over their parks vs Disney's "lockers in 1 place" approach.

I don't carry a lot of photo gear to my appointments, but when I've met a client in a park and I want to "play" a bit before going home, :secret: I do have a bit more than I can carry on MS or SM or RRC or Kraken or Hulk- plus I'm a tad nervous about subjecting my prime camera to multiple G's. :sick: At SW or IOA I can just grab a (cheap!) locker right next to the attraction, but at EPCOT or MK I not only have to make a round trip to the front of the park, I have to pay $5 (has it gone up again?) for one of their goofy lockers- so I generally just say "oh well" and go on home. :(

pixiesmimi
07-09-2007, 10:52 AM
We always take a backpack or some kind of tote bag and so far have always had stollers to put them in to leave for rides or have carried them on the rides or in the buildings with us. No one ever bothers your things if left in a stroller. But we don't leave valuables in there. I did not know until this last trip in June that you could take collapsable soft coolers and could actually take your own food and drink in. We tried this with DD and her young sons. We froze our water bottles and put in a small soft cooler and put other snacks in there. They say you can take sandwiches, etc. for your family and sit in the outdoor eating areas to eat with no problem. We didn't do this, but thought about it. Would be nice if you are trying to save money or not on the DDP. We never got a locker, just carried everything with us everywhere. If we didn't have the strollers though, not sure what we would do. DH and I are going alone this August, so I'm trying to decide whether to take a backpack or just a tote bag. I usually wear a belt pack and put tickets, money, phone, etc. in this for hands free and it is always on me. They have small ones now at Wal-Mart and Target that will handle all of this and not look like a big fanny pack.

Stan
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
They say you can take sandwiches, etc. for your family and sit in the outdoor eating areas to eat with no problem... Would be nice if you are trying to save money or not on the DDP.

...or if it was New Years Eve or July 4- with SM or TT-sized lines for even CS restaurants. :(