PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Good Idea for MK?

ncscgirl2005
07-09-2007, 09:10 AM
This is our first trip to DW as a family (actually first time for DH, DD10, and DD6 but second trip for me) in early August. We are only spending 3 days at DW and then off to other Orlando attractions. I have planned a schedule but it does not include MK during the morning/daytime hours since MK will not have morning EMH (only evening-on two different days) during our visits to the park. So we plan on hitting Epcot, AK, and MGM during their morning EMH and only doing MK during their evening EMH. Can we see or do the major attractions during the evening at MK? Is there anything that we absolutely must see during the daytime at MK? We plan on heading over there at around 5 pm.

DDuck66
07-09-2007, 09:22 AM
First of all, please understand that during the EMH all of the attractions are not open. If you get there by 4 or 5 you should be able to get into most of the attractions that will not be open later. I would tend to have a game plan before you get there on the attractions that you really want to see and the attractions that will not be open during the EMH. While the EMH are great for the resort guests, it does tend to increase the crowds in the parks. I am a bigger fan of the early morning EMH for that reason. Also realize that to see the firworks or any of the parades you will need to find a good spot at least an hour ahead of time. Also with the age of your children are they capable of staying up that late and on the go all day long?? If you plan it well, you should be fine.

IrishMickey
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Also remember that when a theme park has early EMH it is very crowded, especially AK, because that park tends to be very hot. We usually avoided the am EMH at AK. To do MK in the evening is great, especially if you eat an early dinner, like around 4, you can do things while others are heading out to dinner. Be happy with what you see and then you will have the best time. Have Fun:mickey:

GrumpyFan
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Sounds like a pretty good plan, but be careful you don't try and stuff too much into such a small amount of time. This can be really draining on the kids and can even create stress and ruin an otherwise happy vacation. It sounds odd to say, but take time to have fun, instead of rushing to try and see everything.

Another thing, we've noticed that the evening EMHs can be quite crowded. The wait times sometime double what the day's wait time were. So, if Space Mountain was running 30 minutes in the day, it might run as much as 60 minutes or more for EMH. Which means you may spend a lot of the night waiting in long lines.

I would schedule MK (and EMH) for the same day you do AK. Go early to AK and by mid-afternoon you should be ready to leave. Go back to your room, rest for a few, change clothes, eat, etc, then head out for MK.

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 11:34 AM
With this being your daughters' first trip, I would concentrate more on MK than the other parks. We find that it is hard to do all the attractions in a whole day. Not sure how it will work out only being there a few hours on two separate evenings. I really think this is the park your family will want to spend the majority of their time. Also, as others have stated, EMH tend to increase crowds and Fast Passes do not operate during those hours.(or they have not during our trips) What ever you decide, Have fun!!:mickey:

disneygirlie11
07-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I think that I would do my whole first day at MK. There is nothing like walking up to the Castle on your very first time to WDW! Then I would spend the next day at Epcot, and the next I would split up. Do AK in the AM and MGM in the afternoon. Just figure out what you do not want to miss at each park, do those, then go back if you have more time. Going from park to park can take a lot of time in the busier seasons, so you might be suprised how much time you will really get once you actually get to MK for EMH. Just my thoughts!! Have fun whatever you choose :thumbsup:

BelleBeauty
07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
We have found that if we don't go to MK first, we just don't feel like we are in Disney! Regardless of EMH (evening or morning), you should make plans to spend a lot of time in MK. With young children, this is really the place you will want to be. EMH are good as a guideline, but usually lead to higher crowds. If you have park hoppers than it won't be a problem. Just be ready to play things by ear and leave one park for another when crowds get too large!

MOJoe
07-09-2007, 01:30 PM
We visited WDW in June and noticed that the EMH crowds varied during different times of the week. Friday night at MK was packed even around 1:00 A.M. Other times and other parks were not as bad. EMH at MK is really a **** shoot. You never know for sure, but most often it is very crowded. The only way i have found i can cover the park, is to stay till the last hour, i.e. 2 A.M. If you can't do that, you may want to try another tactic.

NJBelle
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
With this being your daughters' first trip, I would concentrate more on MK than the other parks.

I must agree. My younger siblings really enjoyed MK almost more than any of the parks. I think that this was probably because there are so many fun rides and great shows. There's tons for adults and kids to do and even if you don't do it all, you'll feel satisfied at the end of the day. :mickey:

irish1967
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
I honestly think you will regret the decision to not go to the MK until the evening for several reasons,

The primary one is that you will be putting yourselves in the position of having to wait in standby lines that have had all day to build AND not being able to utilize fast-passes because they have run out by the time you arrive at the park. Also, I don't believe that FP is available during EMH - could be wrong, though!

Next, even if you don't plan to watch the night parade more than once, it will definitely impact your ability to get around the park.

Finally, unless your children (and you and your DH as well) can get by on very little sleep - starting early with EMH in one park (which would be 8:00? plus whatever travel time you need from your resort) and going late with EMH in the MK (2:00 a.m. plust travel time to your resort) will be physically exhausting, particularly in the August heat and probably end up to be not fun for anyone.

Good luck - deciding what to do when is probably one of the harder decisions you will have to make.

phillydan
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
We tried on 2 separate occassions to do the pm EMH at MK with our 3 children (10, 9, 4). We did a grand total of 3 rides. No fastpasses, extra long lines and sleepy children do not make for a magical end to the day! If you are truly limited on time, focus on MK, but by all means have a plan! Decide what are "must sees" and what you can skip. Allow flexibility for the unexpected (short line at a ride you were going to bypass, hunger, favorite character popping out of nowhere to do signing, etc). Use fastpass and child swap to the max. See the Dreams parade, Spectromagic and Wishes (fireworks). I will take quality of experience over quantity every time.

Note- I am assuming you are staying at a Disney Resort to qualify for EMH.

milhouse
07-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I would also advise a full day at MK. Hopping parks is nice, but by the time you gather up, walk out, ride bus, walk in, it doesn't leave you with a whole lot of time. Then you have to work in a meal as well. You can do AK & MGM on half days and still hit the big must see attractions in those parks. There's nothing like being on Main St USA at 9am with a whole day ahead of you.

moe513
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I think the you will have long lines in fantasy land. We have found the emh at night to be very crowded and try to plan around them.

NJBelle
07-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I think the you will have long lines in fantasy land.

The lines are much longer at night and in the afternoon. If you try to get to MK first thing in the morning, you wont get many lines. So you'd be getting to most of the fun classic rides (Small World, Dumbo, ect) before most.

TIGGERSDOBOUNCE
07-09-2007, 10:58 PM
:mickey:No matter how much time you are able to spend in what ever park you are able to spend it in, you can't go wrong...you are in WDW! But if I may paint you a picture...It's early morning, the warm sun beating down on your faces, you and your DH, DD10 and DD6 stand outside of the great Main Street Train Station. Your DD10 and DD6, not sure what's instore for them on the other side, but just have the feeling, by the smiles on their faces and the anxiousness in their eyes, know it is something magical. Then in the distance they here a whistle...a train whistle...wait for it...here it comes again...and then there it is, the train comes around the corner with Disney characters:goofy2::minnie2::mickey2::pluto: just bursting at the seems to say Welcome...Welcome to our HOME...Welcome to the one and only WDW MK. The characters, lead by the Mayor of Main Street officially open the gates to all the Magic your heart desires. Thru the train station, there they go, you can hardly keep up as DD10 and DD6 yell, "Come on, hurry up!" Then all at once, there it is in all it's glory...Main Street, USA. They don't know where to look first, the Mickey Mouse:balloon: balloons, the statue of Roy and Minnie, the horse drawn trolley coming around the bend, what line to run to first for what character, then wait...there it is...in all its splendor...their young eyes cast upon it for the first time...at the end of what seems like a street a hundred miles long...CINDERELLA CASTLE...!
Don't get me wrong - I stand by what I said in my title...Any time in WDW is a Magical time...and as far as the first time I saw Cinderella Castle compared to any other time I've seen it...they're all as good as the first! :pixie:Have a Magical experience!!!!
FUN FUN :tigger:FUN