PDA

View Full Version : Mgm Scorcerer Hat

mdearmas
07-09-2007, 08:34 AM
NOW THAT THEY GOT RID OF THE WAND AT EPCOT, HOW ABOUT WE MAKE SOME NOISE TO GET RID OF THAT STUPID HAT IN FRONT OF THE BEAUTIFUL CHINESE THEATRE. wHAT DO YOU ALL SAY ARE YOU WITH ME?

Minniemouse27
07-09-2007, 08:55 AM
I actualy prefer the wand and LOVE the hat... so no, not w/ you at all.

Sorry!

Carol
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Why are you yelling? :listen:

No 'noise' here. I actually like the hat ... and for what its worth -- I liked the wand. :smickey:

mdearmas
07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
sorry polygirl I wasn't yelling didn't notice my caps were on. lol

Jeff
07-09-2007, 09:01 AM
I like the hat also - especially at night. I loved the Mickey arm and wand at Epcot too - again, especially at night.

offero
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm with you. I did not mind the wand so much, but I have always hated that hat. Perhaps if they had put it somewhere else like the top of the water tower I would hate it less. However, in my opinion it is an eyesore.

mainemajor
07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I like the hat, BUT I hate where it is. I do not know where they could put it, but it does ruin the view of the theater and the flow of the area. It just blocks and clutters the park

WishingStar2006
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I like the hat...I just don't like where it is...it could be placed out in the area as you enter the park....that would be nice....I miss seeing the Great Movie Ride entrance as you enter the park...but, I'd rather it stay where it is than to just disappear like the wand....I liked the wand!

Stu29573
07-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't have a problem with the concept of the hat, just the way they did it. My issues are:
1. Location: It masks the theater (a much more interesting piece of architecture and much more in keeping with the theme)
2. Style: The stylized ears really have nothing to do with the art deco styling of the rest of that section of the park. It's jarring to the eye, and not in a good way.
3. Function: The castle is a gateway to Fantasyland, Spaceship Earth is a gateway to Future world, The Tree of Life is a towering symbol in the middle of the park that also brings the park together very well, the hat....well, I'm not really sure what the hat does. It's not at the entrance to anything in particular, and although it's tall, it really doesn't "fit" the area that its in. It does sell pins, but I'd think that the symbol of a park would have a little higher calling than that.

If the hat were moved, or better themed it might work, but it just doesn't. Granted, the Earful tower never really worked either; but it least it didn't scream the fact to all who walked into the park.

These are my opinions, and I know you have yours as well. :mickey:

Breochaid
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I love the hat, but must admit it is in a really dumb place. It definitly takes away from the Hollywood atmosphere. Just my :twocents:

TheRustyScupper
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
1) I can live with the hat.
2) However, I wish they would decorate the water tower, again.
3) They stopped decorating the tower with a variety of hats.
. . . santa hat
. . . beach comber hat
. . . pilgrim hat

DessertDivaFL
07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Yep, I agree with the opinion of the hat is nice but put it somewhere else. I think it should be outside the park; like where you come into the parking lot area to give you a little "Disney Magic" before you get into the park.

llamaface
07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Another vote for simply moving the hat to a better location!
(I am going to miss the wand on SE)

JPL
07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't mind the hat if they had put it at the entrance of the Animation instead of ruining the view down Hollywood Blvd.

DNS
07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm one who kind of likes the wand and I like the hat, but I agree it needs to be at a different location in the park. I loved to look at the theater, unobstructed. My preference would be to just move the hat, not get rid of it.

stormyangel
07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
When did they get rid of the arm and wand at Epcot? We just came back on Saturday and it was still there. :confused:

TiggeRia
07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with several others, I like the hat, just not the location of it. It just seems kind of "plopped" down, and does kind of ruin the view. They should keep the hat, just move it somewhere else. (I also liked the wand and will be missing that)

gwfx1031
07-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Hate the hat. It is just a glorified gift shop that blocks the view of the theater and flow of Hollywood Blvd.

Polynesian Dweller
07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I also like the hat. I suspect we won't see it moving any time soon. It would be hard for Disney to market the park with The Chinese Theatre as the symbol. Afterall, that's owned by someone else. So, that hat has defacto become the symbol. If its going to be the park's symbol then it has to be prominently placed and where else could it go. It really sits like the castle in MK, the ball at Epcot, and the Tree of Life at an important crossroads of the park.

ToDisney
07-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I like the hat also - especially at night. I loved the Mickey arm and wand at Epcot too - again, especially at night.

Ditto :mickey:

The wand will be missed by my family:(

2Epcot
07-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I think it should be outside the park; like where you come into the parking lot area to give you a little "Disney Magic" before you get into the park.

I think that would be a good location, or near animation, as someone also mentioned. I hate the hat in its current location, the same as I hated the hand and wand. Both took away from the original design of the parks.

BashfulMom
07-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I think they should definately move the hat to another location.

Gator
07-09-2007, 04:26 PM
How about we remove the castle? Looks funny at the end of an old town main street. Does that sound really dumb? So does removing the Hat and the Wand.

big blue and hairy
07-09-2007, 04:40 PM
The Chinese Theater has been the subject of endless conjecture about the rights of the likeness. I don't know the answer but if there is a potential problem, putting something totally Disney in front of it certainly makes sense.

Also it is the Disney-MGM Studios afterall. What was Walt's masterpiece? Fantasia. I think the hat makes sense there and It looks really good in pictures behind you.

:sulley:

GrmGrninGost
07-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Can't agree with that one! I love the hat! :mickey: I do wish they could move it from in front of the Chinese Theatre. But, I'd rather have it there than get rid of it entirely!

LoriMistress
07-09-2007, 05:49 PM
NOW THAT THEY GOT RID OF THE WAND AT EPCOT, HOW ABOUT WE MAKE SOME NOISE TO GET RID OF THAT STUPID HAT IN FRONT OF THE BEAUTIFUL CHINESE THEATRE. wHAT DO YOU ALL SAY ARE YOU WITH ME?

Please turn off your cap locks. It comes across and screaming on a message board and it can be difficult to read in all caps.

Thanks.

crazypoohbear
07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Please turn off your cap locks. It comes across and screaming on a message board and it can be difficult to read in all caps.

Thanks.

sorry polygirl I wasn't yelling didn't notice my caps were on. lol
this was already addressed :):thumbsup:

When did they get rid of the arm and wand at Epcot? We just came back on Saturday and it was still there. :confused:

They started dismantling the wand today, you're lucky you got to see it one last time :thumbsup:

pooh'spal
07-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I think the wand is wonderful, and it will be very sad to see it come down. and I agree with many, the hat is great, but it needs to be somewhere else. If I am not mistaken the symbol for studios was the Earful Tower prior to the hat arriving on the scene. Move it to the animation courtyard, and let people see the great movie ride as it was intended to be seen! :magic:

berri_boo
07-09-2007, 09:00 PM
I like the wand & hat too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My parents are taking my brother (who just returned home from Iraq in Feb) to WDW for the very first time (as a surprise) & I was hoping they would be able to see the wand up. My mom has also never been there so this is a big deal for them......my father was last at WDW in 1978!!! I'm glad I was able to talk them into going!

snifflesmcg
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I love the hat! I think it's cute, magical and whimsical (again, especially at night). However, I do agree the location isn't quite right. The problem lies with when it was built. With the Castle, Ball and Tree, they were all places as the icon as the parks were being built. The hat was added many years later and then it became the icon. Had the park been built around the hat, I think more people would like it. Also, my other problem with it is, it's doesn't house anything. Just a cheesy gift shop. Had it been an attraction or restaurant, again, I think people would feel differently about it. BUT.........I still LOVE the hat!!! My second favorite icon.

Donald Duck 224
07-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I had no problem with the wand, but i like the hat and hope it stays for awhile.

GhostHost999
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
See for me, the MGM studios and especially the chinese theater was like taking a walk back into old hollywood. And having the hat *right there* in front just seemed very out of place. I liked taking the stroll up toward the theater and seeing it as the emblem of the park. If you want to move the hat someplace unobtrusive that's fine but not right in front of the theater.

MickeysEars
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Every park has its "castle", the theater I thought was a good one but, again, there was no wow factor. I like the hat, but "why" the hat? I wonder why that was the choice for the parks center piece? :smickey:

GottaluvTiggr
07-09-2007, 11:18 PM
I love the hat it part of Disney every park has an icon and that hat is Mgm so i say don't get rid of the hat :mickey:

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 11:30 PM
I love the hat!! It just needs to be moved from in front of the Chinese Theater!

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Just a cheesy gift shop.

Well it IS a mouse's hat.....

:sulley:

DisneyPrincess17
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Ok am I the only person that thinks the hat is great and in a good spot? Do u no wats inside of the Chinese movie theater? The Great Movie Ride! If u have ever ridden TGMR u will see that one of the scenes is sorcer mickey. So the mickey hat outside of it is great! :mickey:

offero
07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Hey, I say we start a campaign to put up a four Story Goofy hat in the center of Main Street in front of the castle, and stick a kid in it selling cotton candy.

PoohGirls2
07-16-2007, 08:58 AM
We like the hat.
And we liked the wand.:smickey:

countrycharmer
07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Not with you at all!! Our family thinks that some of the Magic has been lost with the Epcot dismanteling (sp?) at SSE. I think that I would be furious if they now even gave thought to the hat!!:mad:

Fantasmic
07-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I like the hat, BUT I hate where it is. I do not know where they could put it, but it does ruin the view of the theater and the flow of the area. It just blocks and clutters the park

Took the words out of my mouth!

I really think the hat should be moved, so you can see it on the backlot tour.