PDA

View Full Version : Too much Pixar etc...

julian
07-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey I was recently at Disney and I realized one thing that I didn't like. I feel like they are adding to many characters to otherwise alright rides. Something which I feel continues to increase.

Examples:
Stich on Alien Encounter
New Monsters Inc.
Nemo on LS.

I feel like it makes the attractions a little too kid-like and takes away from a lot of the creativity which went into the rides previously...

Anyone agree with me on this?

chicade88
07-09-2007, 01:21 AM
I completely agree, although it isn't just the Pixar characters that bother me. It's just that they seem to be adding characters just for the sake of adding them. I was highly disappointed with El Rio del Tiempo's change as it went from a relaxing ride to a corny one. While I understand that these changes are made to make things more child-friendly, it seems they are forgetting that adults come to Disney as well! :mickey:

WDWdreamer87
07-09-2007, 01:23 AM
IMO, I think the whole Pixar thing is great.
Since Disney officially owns Pixar, it's safe to say Pixar is Disneyfied. Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, Stitch's Escape, and Finding Nemo the Musical are all extremely popular, attracting people to the parks, especially since Alien Encounter hit a sour note with parents with young children.

Pixar has helped Disney a lot. Sure, Disney can do well on its own, but Pixar has made some amazing works, and I think with the new rides, it will stay true to what Walt wanted.

If the argument was that Pixar was taking away from Disney, then one must also argue about the Disney sequels to classics like Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and soon, The Little Mermaid.

Mickey 101
07-09-2007, 02:00 AM
We haven't seen the Laugh Floor yet, but agree with you on Alien Encounter. We liked it much better in its original form.

However, I have never seen Living Seas as busy as its been since they added all the Finding Nemo features to the attraction. Turtle Talk is great for adults or kids IMHO. Its definitely given the pavillion a face-lift and is a nice place to head while waiting for your Soarin' fps to come up. :D So, I guess I'm 50/50 with the Pixar add-ons until we go again and see the Monsters Inc show.

WDWfanatic742
07-09-2007, 06:14 AM
The Alien Enocunter to Stitch's Great Escape is probably the only Pixar character ride, building, show that has failed so far.

Buzz Lightyear always has a decent wait for a fast moving ride and is very popular with everyone in the entire family.

Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, while maybe not as entertaining as Timekeeper replaced it and is open, so it's better than just leaving Timekeeper there to rot like Wonder's of Life is currently doing.

The Living Seas/Nemo pavilion has brought new life to a building that was usually dead for the last couple of years before the change over.

Toy Story Mania is replacing a fun show to be in, but one that was based off a TV show that isn't even made before (Or is it just new one's during the week days?).

So yeah, I agree that Disney and more Tomorrowland is being overun by Pixar, but most of the changes have been for the better. They can still probably could come up with more original ideas in Tomorrowland, but it's better than nothing I guess.

big blue and hairy
07-09-2007, 06:36 AM
The Alien Enocunter to Stitch's Great Escape is probably the only Pixar character ride, building, show that has failed so far.

:confused: Stitch is not a Pixar character, he's a Disney character, who's movie, by the way, was animated in Florida, which along with his huge poularity, explains why he's all over the place.

:sulley:

SurferStitch
07-09-2007, 06:50 AM

As big blue and hairy pointed out (and beat me to it!), Stitch is a Disney character (not Pixar), and the ride is hardly a failure. Just about every single time we've experienced it, the chamber we were in was filled with guests. The only time it wasn't full (for us) was at around 11:45 pm on the night of a MNSSHP in 2005.

It may be a failure to you, but overall, SGE is popular to many.

I like seeing the Pixar characters being integrated into rides and attractions. Again, just because some don't like it, doesn't mean others don't. Plenty of people on this board wanted a Monsters Inc. attraction, and now they have one. Nemo was a natural for the LS, and very well done. People on here also voiced their desire for an Incredibles character breakfast someday. So, the demand for Pixar is there, whether or not some Disney purists want it.

Mickey91
07-09-2007, 07:02 AM
Yep! Stitch is all Disney! And while I still don't care for the Stitch ride, it fits the Magic Kingdom far better than the original. I realize many out there don't care for the family oriented rides, but really, that is what Disney World was meant to be.

big blue and hairy
07-09-2007, 07:05 AM
To address the "Too much Pixar" complaint, Pixar is Disney!! To the casual Disney fan, Buzz, Woody, Sulley, et. al. have always been Disney characters, but ever since Pixar became a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, they are now actual Disney characters!!! Complaining about Woody is like complaining about Simba!!

crazykids
07-09-2007, 08:12 AM
I agree w/ the OP, Pixar is Disney! I personally love the Pixar additions & think they add even more creativity to the parks.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
We have not seen the new additons yet (Nemo, Laugh Floor) but, we were asked in to a special preview of Turtle Talk with Crush last year and my kids loved it!

We never did Alien Encounter when it was there. My kids were too scared but, we have done Stitch a few times. I won't say it is our favorite attraction but, the kids think it is cool.

The changes are a good thing for us. Especially my sons. They are happy to see things that are more towards their ages. They love the other rides too (Pooh, etc) but I think Stitch and the new ones are a little "older" for them. :thumbsup:

biodtl
07-09-2007, 08:58 AM
I don't mind Pixar at all. The only way it would bother me is if we saw more Pixar stuff than Mickey, Goofy, Princesses, etc.

avantgardeinker
07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
First of all Stitch isn't Pixar. I agree they shouldn't have replaced AE with Stitch. I wish they had given him his own attraction instead of taking AE away from us.

I'm excited to see LS with the Nemo theming. I think LS needed a face lift and Nemo was just the thing to do it.

I also think that a Monsters Inc. attraction is way over due and I'm anxious to see the Laugh Floor. I still wish they would create a ride themed around the door segment of the film.

Bottom Line is... Disney owns Pixar now and it is here to stay as part of the Disney family. I think it's only fitting that they be included in the parks as well.

150 more days!!
:mickey:

WDWfanatic742
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Doh! I just should have known that Stitch wasn't made by Pixar. Too early in the morning for me and that's my fault for that. Read the other posts before mine before my original post and didn't put two and two together.

Failure probably wasn't the right word and now I am sorry that I did say that. I can't think of a better word but what I meant was that they took Alien Encounter, toned down alot of the effects, added really nice animatronic's (stitch and the laser cannons), and just themed the entire building around stitch. If they wanted to move away from AE and build something that the entire family might enjoy, they should have come up with something new. AE was for teens and adult's, and SGE is BASICALLY for kids (NOTE: I did say basically because I know that big people like the ride too. I'm talking on a more general tone.) They could have easily come up with something better that would have wowed and thrilled guests than just taming down the previous show. I'm speaking from what I have seen as most people's opinions from all age groups, and I know that some people like SGE. So for now until the show goes unpopular, which by the wait times are still pretty long, the show is here to stay.

Now back on topic: The only problem that I have with Pixar and the theme parks is that it's taking over too much of Tomorrowland. The topic has been beaten to death on this site (and this thread) so many times that I don't have repeat what everyone else has said over the past few years. Disney Studios needs Pixar rides and attractions like all the other parks have been getting (and it's finally getting its own land) because it is based on movies and TV. So hopefully they can keep on adding rides into Disney Studios, and I'm expecting that at least one of these two new big attractions to Disney Studios is going to have something to do with Pixar, which by the roll that they are on, can turn into something really good. :thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
1) Disney presents/sells what is popular.
2) Right now, PIXAR is at a crest.
3) I don't have a problem with most of the PIXAR attractions.
4) But, I am afraid that Disney will take the easy way out.
5) It might try to make it PIXAR-time, all the time.
6) Remember only having Pooh and Plushes ion Disney Stores?
7) I hope they keep the penetration reasonable.

NOTE: Unfortunately, one of the best ways to advance at Disney is to "go along". This prevents a lot of innovative ideas and "thinking outside the box". Once someone latches onto something, they ride it like a dead horse.

DisneyNut2005
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM
I also disagree with the all the "Too much Pixar" gripes.

The new attractions, both Pixar and non-Pixar, have been great additions and enhancments to the parks and have even brought new life into pavilions/attractions that were already underattended and weren't really "classics" in the first place (such as The Seas and Mexico).

NJBelle
07-09-2007, 11:49 PM
.....the ride is hardly a failure. ...... It may be a failure to you, but overall, SGE is popular to many.

What do you mean it's not a failure? Nearly all the ppl I have talked to about it say that it was a waste of time! The chamber is always full but as my family and I were walking out I heard more complaints than praises. I think that it's not exactly worth it and that it is a waste of time... :unsure:

Polynesian Dweller
07-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I was glad to see them starting to insert the Pixar characters into the World. They are Disney and represent most of the Disney characters introduced in recent years.

Disney has always used the characters from its movies to populate the parks, right from the beginning at Disneyland. So its right to do so.:thumbsup:

WDW_Megan
07-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Alien encounter did need to be tamed down, but I just am so tired of stitch!! I know he is popular but I hated hearing him on the wake up call interupting mickey and on the monorail and also his picture on everything. He has now disappeared from the monorail so im happy lol But I still ride it everytime....it is pretty cute

I love Laugh Floor the technology there is so awsome!!

I love Nemo and know most kids do and the only thing I like about it at LS is when they are in the aqurium! It blows my mind how they do it!! I love the musical!

I have to disagree and say I love Pixar being with Disney know, and cant wait untill the new Toy Story ride comes!!

Also, Disney has to keep up to date and thats why they change so many things, if they left it like that it wouldnt attract as many kids

locodemickey
07-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I love all the Pixar stuff at Disney but then again, I'm biased, my brother helps create the movies:mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I think what the original poster meant was....are they adding too many characters (mainly Pixar) to already good rides? Are they taking away the original integrity of a ride to add characters where they weren't before.
(at least that's how I read it).

I think the Pixar look is great and I'm glad Disney owns them. I look at Nemo as much as a Disney character as Cinderella. What I DON'T like is the way the saturate the parks with all the new characters (Pixar and regular Disney) and how they forget about the "Classics".

Jared
07-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Disney may be approaching the limit with adding Pixar characters to attractions. It's funny that so many posters put Stitch in that category. I've often made the same mistake. I think I confuse Stitch from "Lilo and Stitch" with Sully from "Monsters, Inc."

Fortunately, most of the Pixar-themed attractions are worthwhile. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is a welcome addition to Tomorrowland, Finding Nemo- The Musical is one of the best attractions in the Animal Kingdom and Toy Story Mania seems like a great fit for a struggling Disney-MGM Studios.

Furthermore, an entirely new technology was introduced with Turtle Talk with Crush, part of The Seas with Nemo & Friends pavilion in Epcot.

Let's see what happens next. If Disney begins using Pixar characters as a substitute for creative Imagineering, we have a problem. The great characters should only enhance great attractions.

Jakk
07-10-2007, 01:58 AM
AE was for teens and adult's, and SGE is BASICALLY for kids (NOTE: I did say basically because I know that big people like the ride too. I'm talking on a more general tone.)

Umm...well Didn't Walt Disney make Disneyland, and Disney World for rides the WHOLE family can enjoy? I mean sure AE was a great attraction but it was only meant for Teenagers and Adults I dont really call that family friendly. Now I'd admit SGE ***** but it brings crowds everytime so there must be some people that like it.....

Now about Pixar overrunning Disney. Well lets get it straight Pixar=Disney so every Pixar character is a Disney so stop with the branding. An all Pixar has done has helped a collapsing Disney. I mean the last big Disney hit was Lion King in 1999, now seriously would you acutally want attractions based on "Home on the Range" or one of Disneys million sequels.

Pixar has helped Disney soooo much. Before the LS was like a ghost town (or ghost aquarium) nobody ever visited except seeing the fishies. Now with the whole Pixizaration of the LS there are hundreds of people there all enjoying themselves (especially when you see a little kid face light up when saying look there Nemo!) and attraction like TT, and the Sea's with Nemo and friends rides are all great additions.

An if adding Pixar to the parks mean having a show like the Nemo Musical (which I believe the best show at any Disney Property) then I'm all for it....learn to live with it and not fight against it, remember it's a good ting...!

SurferStitch
07-10-2007, 06:30 AM
What do you mean it's not a failure? Nearly all the ppl I have talked to about it say that it was a waste of time! The chamber is always full but as my family and I were walking out I heard more complaints than praises. I think that it's not exactly worth it and that it is a waste of time... :unsure:

That's your prerogative. I'm not getting into this debate again.

I've heard many, many more praises from people than gripes over the years. And, I've listened with an unbiased opinion.

Like I said once before, those who dislike the ride seem to only hear the complaints. I've actively listened for complaints since soooo many people on here have heard them, and I just haven't found that. I do remember one man complaining it was stupid, but in his words, "then again, everything here at Disney is stupid," so I can't really trust his insight. :shrug:

Sorry to hijack the thread....:blush:

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 07:03 AM
I think I confuse Stitch with Sully.

:jaw::eek2:

I think Stitch is a terrific character, and he makes me laugh on the wake-up call every time.

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 07:09 AM

I've heard many, many more praises from people than gripes over the years. And, I've listened with an unbiased opinion.

Like I said once before, those who dislike the ride seem to only hear the complaints. I've actively listened for complaints since soooo many people on here have heard them, and I just haven't found that. I do remember one man complaining it was stupid, but in his words, "then again, everything here at Disney is stupid," so I can't really trust his insight. :shrug:

I have to say, as a fan of Stitch, and a fan of Alien Encounter, I am dissappointed with Stitch's Encounter. I don't think it's an improvement on AE. Actually, I don't like it as well. I would like to see some changes, although I'm not sure whats really feasible without spending a bunch of money.

I will say though saying in one breath that it's a failure and that it's full, kind of shoots holes in an arguement...:D

Stu29573
07-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Even if they're griping, if that chamber is full, it ain't a failure....

automation85
07-10-2007, 09:08 AM
AE seemed to always be down when I visited. I got on it once and found it great, but like many horror films, you know what is coming after the first run. Stitch seemed to be down while I was in MK, so I wonder how much of the programming (aside from the gerneral theme) was actually changed. I agree that Disney likes to beat a dead horse sometimes since it can make it appear like a new idea while cutting costs.

As for Toy Story Mania, doesn't anyone have a problem with the fact that this is the second Toy Story themed ride and it is the same thing as Buzz Lightyear? I realize that it uses computer tech to make a carnival like atmosphere, but it is still a first person shooter with points. I could understand a new ride, but a rehashing of a success, come on.

As for Monsters, inc., I thought it was good, but not great. Kids like it, so I have no problem. Then again, I feel most kids are happy with anything that keeps them involved and videos don't do that for them. I mean, how many kids are bored in the Energy ride (in any of its current or previous forms) until the dinosuars.

Just my :twocents:

WDW_Megan
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
As for Toy Story Mania, doesn't anyone have a problem with the fact that this is the second Toy Story themed ride and it is the same thing as Buzz Lightyear? I realize that it uses computer tech to make a carnival like atmosphere, but it is still a first person shooter with points. I could understand a new ride, but a rehashing of a success, come on.

Its going to be different. Just b/c you shoot at stuff doesnt mean its going to be the same. There will be much more going on with the 3D and more

DisneyNut2005
07-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Surfer Stitch, you rock! :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Surfer Stitch, you rock! :thumbsup:

As do you, fellow Stitch lover! :stitch2::thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
07-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Umm...well Didn't Walt Disney make Disneyland, and Disney World for rides the WHOLE family can enjoy? I mean sure AE was a great attraction but it was only meant for Teenagers and Adults I dont really call that family friendly.

Some rides don't have to be ALL for children. Like myself, adults without children go to Disney as well. I don't consider "Pooh's Playful Spot" fun for the WHOLE family. I'm over 5! Technically, I'm not allowed in there.

atruman
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM

No more than I have a problem with both EE and BTMRR being trains, or both of those and Space Mountain and RNR all being roller coasters.

It's all in the execution. If they can make me feel like they are different, I'll be happy. If it feels like the same ride, only with computer graphics instead of actual targets, I'll be significantly less so.

automation85
07-11-2007, 01:58 PM
No more than I have a problem with both EE and BTMRR being trains, or both of those and Space Mountain and RNR all being roller coasters.

I can see where you are coming from, but I fear that starting off with the same basis for a ride (Toy Story) which appears to be the same as another starts you off with a strike.

Execution may change this, but from the promotional materials that are released, I can't see how 3-D glasses can make shooting at screens that more exciting. I only see this as a possible stepping stone for using 3-D glasses in future rides (a technology that Universal has a firm holding on at the moment).