PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship Earth - with or without the sign??

Disneyfun
07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Which do you prefer? Spaceship Earth with or without the Mickey hand and sign?

There has been some discussion, just thought I would put it to a vote!

Update - 7/8

Thanks for all of the comments so far! I agree that this psychotekkie that this poll should be just a vote only. There have been so many discussions on other threads, that it may just be beating a dead horse. Don't get me wrong - if ya can't hold it in, please vent!! :-)

My appologies for not having an option for those that were undecided or did not have a preference - it was late at night when I dropped in the poll and I can't go back and add it now. :-(

psychotekkie
07-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Hey Disneyfun, Great idea to do the poll. I was wondering about the actual numbers myself. However, I think, since we have already heard the same commentary over and over, we should do this poll without comments.

Obviously if you voted against the hand, you think it was an abomination and immature, out of place, insulting etc etc etc (we've read it all).

And if you voted FOR the hand, you think it was fun looking, Disney-ish, great for the kids, colourful, inviting etc etc etc (read all those too).

I hate to see everyone feeling insulted in one thread.

snifflesmcg
07-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I was going to post this very same poll. But then the site went down and I didn't do it then. Thanks for posting.

BTW-I voted that I LOVE the wand and I'm sad to see it go. I think it adds some charm and magic to a giant boring old golf ball.

ToDisney
07-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Oh!!
:jaw:
Is that one of the changes being made?? I was looking forward to an updated ride but I didn't know they were really taking down the wand!
:mickey:

Clotho
07-08-2007, 02:40 AM
There is no option for "I don't care" or "I like it either way". I am that category, so can't vote.

KAJUNKING
07-08-2007, 03:16 AM
i agree totaly, but i did vote i only wish there would have been a 3rd (i really dont care) option!

LoriMistress
07-08-2007, 03:49 AM
I've only been to SSE when the had the wand. But I've always prefered SSE without it. It just looks tacky.

ginger19
07-08-2007, 07:26 AM
I miss the classic :mickey: I can't wait for my kids to see it that way for the first time and see what they have to say!

mainemajor
07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
SSE is the icon for EPCOT, just like the castle is for MK. With attachments to it SSE was not itself. By itself SSE is beautiful. For those that have never seen it without, here is your chance to see it as it was meant to be, IMHO

DisneyJunkie
07-08-2007, 08:29 AM
The hand-and-sign piece of Spaceship Earth made it look trash and really stupid. Now that it's going to be coming down, all will be right once again in the World. I'll never understand how anyone could possibly like that garbage that they slapped on such a classic attraction.

KAT1811
07-08-2007, 08:55 AM
I like the classic SSE without the wand but was never really offended by the wand. I am looking forward to seeing it "back to normal" when we go.

GrmGrninGost
07-08-2007, 09:31 AM
The wand and sign have come to be a symbol of EPCOT to me. I am sorry to see them go.:sadwave:

LandFan
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm ok with it going - I knew it first as "the golf ball" so that is what I am most familiar with anyway...

BritCody
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I am all about the classics. I prefer it to come down

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I too didn't vote because I'm in the no preference category. I would suggest shutting down this poll and starting a new one with the third option. It would likely be more interesting and more folks might be prepared to vote.

DisneyorBust
07-08-2007, 06:15 PM
My vote was for the wand!

Mickey91
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
:sadwave:I am sad the sign will be gone. And it will even be gone before we go this time!:crying::cry::fit::pout::down:

RAIDER
07-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Its kind of grown on me over the years ....So if they took it down i would now miss it :thumbsup::mickey:

Wells
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I prefer the pre-wand appearance of SSE myself; I think it helped give EPCOT a more individual identity. By the way, the latest vacation planning video, the year of a million dreams one that I know many of you have, has a segment on EPCOT. At the beginning of this segment, there is a “fly over” of the park starting at the entrance and going over SSE to a view of the world showcase. This footage must be at least eight years old since it does not include the wand or the “Leave a Legacy” monoliths. I think that this is even older than this as the original gardens at the entrance are shown and the plaza behind SSE and the entry to the world showcase is as it was originally. So anyone who wants to see EPCOT in its original splendor, just hit pause.

offero
07-09-2007, 08:29 AM
The sign did not initially bother me, when I went back after the millenium it was cool that they had changed it fromm 2000 to EPCOT. However, its time has come, my own feeling is that it cheapens the look of the park/ride.

Next the hat at MGM.:ack:

caryrae
07-09-2007, 09:02 AM
There has been many disscusions about the Hand and Wand. Here is another poll asking the same question the votes were pretty close 91 to 78 in favor of no hand an wand.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=84651&highlight=spaceship+earth+wand&page=3

DizNee143
07-09-2007, 09:32 AM
im not voting...because it doesnt really bother me either way...i like it with or without it...i wasnt bother like most people when it was put up..i thought it was rather cool!! its gonna look weird for a little while..with it being plain and boring again..but it is what it is...

Figgyluv03
07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I love it for the Millenium celebration, but I"m glad it's going back to normal. I love the classic look. It's about time!

SurferStitch
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
The hand-and-sign piece of Spaceship Earth made it look trash and really stupid. Now that it's going to be coming down, all will be right once again in the World. I'll never understand how anyone could possibly like that garbage that they slapped on such a classic attraction.

I like that garbage.

Thanks for the insult! :thumbsup:

Gator
07-09-2007, 03:38 PM
For all you wand haters, please go away. Your whining has brought a great ICON back to boring status.

Squeaky Mouse
07-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Dh and I cancel each other out. He likes the sign, and I hate it. On a similar note, he likes the hat at MGM; and...you guessed it!!!...I hate it.

avantgardeinker
07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
At first I really liked the sign. I thought it was a nice little change... Something different, but after a while I just wanted to see Spaceship Earth the way Walt intended it. I'm ready for the sign to come down.

149 more days!!
:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Love the sign!!

Bass T-bone
07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Basically, I think that those people who remember the ball in it's original state would like to see the condition return. It's the people who have never seen it without who I think are apprehensive about the whole thing.

My :twocents:

SurferStitch
07-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Basically, I think that those people who remember the ball in it's original state would like to see the condition return. It's the people who have never seen it without who I think are apprehensive about the whole thing.

My :twocents:

Maybe, but I've seen it both ways, and I still prefer the sign (even though it was only meant to be temporary).

countrycharmer
07-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Our entire family of four was sad to see it go!