PDA

View Full Version : Concierge... I dont get it.

lovemygirls
07-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Hi there,
I'm new here... lots of information too... yay!

We've been only once to WDW... a newbee on Intercot and a newbee with experience at WDW. We loved it of course and want to go back again.

Our children are 9 & 13 - both girls and are counting down the days... its amazing some of you have been SO many times.. you are so lucky!!!

Anyways - we dont travel much, and are usually on a tight budget - but I'm hoping in early 2008 we can go and have a good time. We stayed at CBR last time we went. We liked it... and DH wants to stay there again - for consistency sake - but I'd like to try something new -

I really wanted to go all out and try concierge... but I'm not really seeing if its worth it..? I dont get it. I mean, I typically would have all my tickets for shows already and my seating already done... so why would I want to pay that much more?.. for a few snacks..? Please.... Please.. explain -

Also - which resort concierge would you stay at if you you were staying in concierge.

And if you decided NOT to stay in concierge - which deluxe would you stay at???

thanks for your help so much!!!

SgtTigger
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Welcome to INTERCOT

I agree we also dont do concierge we have everything set and we can get our own snacks.....

We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge... and we loved it so much we bought into DVC Disney Vacation Club.... We now stay at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge........

:cop: :tigger:

GrmGrninGost
07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
We don't see the need for concierge either. As for a deluxe? Wilderness Lodge is it for me!!:mickey:

meldan98
07-07-2007, 11:24 PM
On our honeymoon we stayed and BC Concierge and the preplanning was nice, but honestly not that helpful. In part, because I didn't end up using it until just prior to our departure. I did like being able to get up in the morning and tell the person where we wanted to eat that day and be assured that it was taken care of, although, I think that has changed due to increased demand for ADR. We went in 2000 during Xmas week and we made all of our choices each morning. Now, you can't do that. We are about 140 days out, and I've already made all of our ADR's, and I'm such a planner, the planning help wouldn't be of much help, except that maybe I wouldn't have to be up and calling at 4:00am.

The snacks were okay, typical snacks and continental breakfast. I liked the service we received because it was a special occassion, but now that I have child, I would say, save your money, pick a new resort to change things up a bit and use that extra money to do something special for your kids.

Polynesian Dweller
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Well, somebody has to defend conceirge. We do it every time. Its not the snacks or the reservations services but the conveniences that we find with it at the Polynesian. The breakfast lets us get out to the parks in a leisurely manner without the rush in the restaurants we used to experience. We can take a coffee and bagel back to our balcony and look out at the Seven Seas. At night, a free drink and a couple of small cakes on the balcony and watching the Fireworks, just great.

The concierge staff are very helpful with everything we need and can usually fix any problem we have. The concierge building is also the best placed for lagoon views, the fireworks at night, and the Electric Water pageant. Its got it all.

May not be worth it everyone but for us the vacations are a lot more relaxing with concierge than they used to be. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
concierge is one of the worst things at WDW...I could go into a huge diatribe about it...but it's all been said before......

Trust me...the only thing you get is a room on a higher floor and snacks (which doesn't mean alot if you are at a theme park the majority of your day)...everything else they "do" is no different than if you did it yourself. WDW Concierge enjoy no special privileges to handle requests....

That is the essence of Concierge...and Disney can not provide it.

TammiMcMan
07-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Disney's form of concierge is very different than what you'd receive elsewhere. Many people do like the convenience of the one-stop shopping that's provided by club level. They can be very helpful if you're planning a special trip or if you have specific needs while you're there. The lounge is not a meal replacement plan, but breakfast will fill up most families and if plans involve a lot of time at the resort, then the lounge can come in handy. There's private check-in, a private floor or building and dedicated staff. Whether or not these things are important to somebody is probably the deciding factor to stay on that level.

I've paid for that level a few times at Disney and usually it coincided with a special occassion. One year, I planned a surprise Christmas trip and they setup a tree in our room, with gifts they had purchased for me placed underneath. They were also amazing in getting us on an Illuminations cruise that had been sold out.

I would say a majority of guests don't use or need many of the services that they provide. In that case, it just comes down to a matter of personal choice. One family may want to spend the extra money on more souveniers or a special tour, while other families would go with a club level room.

The WL is probably the best value for a deluxe. It has most of the same amenities offered at the others, except for the location and standard rooms have a maximum occupancy of 4. Their concierge level is nice as well and one of the lesser expensive ones. The only resorts that I would avoid for club level, are the YC/BC. Personally, I don't think they're worth it. As far as standard rooms in a deluxe though, they're all pretty comparable. There are definitely pro's and con's with all of them, but I'd probably choose based on which parks we're most likely to spend the most time at. Convenience and location are a big factor for me.

lockedoutlogic
07-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Well, somebody has to defend conceirge. We do it every time. Its not the snacks or the reservations services but the conveniences that we find with it at the Polynesian. The breakfast lets us get out to the parks in a leisurely manner without the rush in the restaurants we used to experience. We can take a coffee and bagel back to our balcony and look out at the Seven Seas. At night, a free drink and a couple of small cakes on the balcony and watching the Fireworks, just great.

The concierge staff are very helpful with everything we need and can usually fix any problem we have. The concierge building is also the best placed for lagoon views, the fireworks at night, and the Electric Water pageant. Its got it all.

May not be worth it everyone but for us the vacations are a lot more relaxing with concierge than they used to be. :mickey:

the question is: are the benefits you're stating worth $150.00 more per night?

Many people have more disposable cash than myself and the vast majority of those that visit WDW....

...but even if they do, are the "benefits" a reasonable return on the money spent for the vacation? I can't see how....a "Better building"?....no WDW hotel was designed with concierge service in mind except AKL....
...and their concierge is being converted to DVC....

that says alot...

castlegirl
07-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Concierge stay at the Poly was our best trip yet! :thumbsup: The concierge staff got us all our ADRs, especially CRT for breakfast for my DD. I emailed them my choices a few days prior to the 90 day mark and that day they emailed back that we were in! Check-in was easy and relaxing, with a personal CM to handle our check-in seated at a desk while we sipped guava juice and ate cookies. The staff of the concierge was so great in saving our ADR for the HDDR. Due to a delayed flight, we arrived at the Poly at 4:30 when we had a 5:00 ressie for Hoop Dee Doo. As soon as I told the CM, she immediately got on the phone to the HDDR and asked them to change our time to the 7:00/7:30 show. In that respect, they were lifesavers! The lounge area was the best with breakfast, snacks, drinks, and evening buffets and beautifully decorated for Christmas. We were a family of 5. We felt the breakfast everyday itself was worth it! Our room was on the first floor with a lagoon view. Every morning we opened the curtains and looked at Cinderella's Castle. It was like no other experience! We felt totally pampered and it made for a vacation we will never forget! Yes, it is extra $$ and we've only done it once, but it was a vacation experience of a lifetime!

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Lockedoutlogic, you have a good point of view and many people don't have the luxury of writing a blank check when they vacation at Disney. I think the bottom line though, is what each one of us defines as "worth". You could easily find vacationers who don't think staying onsite is worth the money they charge, as well as vacationers who can't justify the cost of a mod over a value. It's what we feel is important, that we're going to spend the money on.

I don't think it's necessary to defend concierge, it's something that's not right for everybody. Just simply noting the pro's and con's are a great help to people trying to make a decision. Personally, I have experienced club level CM's who do appear to have some privileges in getting things done. That may be an exception rather than the rule, but I can only report on what they've done for me. The unfortunate thing about it, is that the service is not consistent. Ultimately, that's what you're paying for, a higher level of service and sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.

Speaking of AKL, I haven't heard alot of details yet, only that DVC will be sharing the concierge lounge with the resorts club level guests. I'm not sure if that's only applicable to the Jambo units, or if all DVC villas will have access. Seems to be still a work in progress.

lockedoutlogic
07-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Lockedoutlogic, you have a good point of view and many people don't have the luxury of writing a blank check when they vacation at Disney. I think the bottom line though, is what each one of us defines as "worth". You could easily find vacationers who don't think staying onsite is worth the money they charge, as well as vacationers who can't justify the cost of a mod over a value. It's what we feel is important, that we're going to spend the money on.

I don't think it's necessary to defend concierge, it's something that's not right for everybody. Just simply noting the pro's and con's are a great help to people trying to make a decision. Personally, I have experienced club level CM's who do appear to have some privileges in getting things done. That may be an exception rather than the rule, but I can only report on what they've done for me. The unfortunate thing about it, is that the service is not consistent. Ultimately, that's what you're paying for, a higher level of service and sometimes it's there and sometimes it isn't.

Speaking of AKL, I haven't heard alot of details yet, only that DVC will be sharing the concierge lounge with the resorts club level guests. I'm not sure if that's only applicable to the Jambo units, or if all DVC villas will have access. Seems to be still a work in progress.

Hey, sister...I'm right there with you on this one...

But consider two things:
1. I just watched a five hour game to see the Sawx LOSE in 13 innings...so I'm cranky
2. The setup of the concierge is exactly what doesn't make it true concierge.
There is no special staff...and no special policies....

hence the "inconsistencies" in the level of service. I just hate it when people imply that the staff is "better" at concierge. That is not true at all. There is nothing that is in place to even pretend that Disney has that as a goal.
So, in my opinion, Concierge is an outright lie....they should call it something else. those that expect true service are rarely satisfied with what they get.

As far as the concierge performing their "wizardry" in acheiving dining reservations..as mentioned in the post above....
that same function can be performed by anyone who works for disney with access to the dining system...and by calling someone at 407WDW DINE...

heck...if someone reactivated my password and got me in remotely...I could do it for you at 6:45 tomorrow morning....

Cinderella's FOR EVERYONE!!!

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 12:36 AM
But consider two things:
1. I just watched a five hour game to see the Sawx LOSE in 13 innings...so I'm crankyYeah, me too :(.

So, in my opinion, Concierge is an outright lie....they should call it something else. those that expect true service are rarely satisfied with what they get.Well, they are trying "club level", but I'm not so sure that's working out. I don't honestly know how many people that stay on the club level at Disney, have experienced true concierge service elsewhere. Even those of us who have, there's just something about Disney. You get to this magical place and somehow you're just more forgiving and accepting of how they do things. I don't fault anyone who wants to spend their money, but I think knowing exactly what's offered will at least help them make a better informed decision.

CAS
07-08-2007, 12:42 AM
We felt the breakfast everyday itself was worth it!

$150 a day extra for a miniature breakfast and some snacks? :confused:

That coffee better have 14k gold creamer in it! ;)

psychotekkie
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
I would spend the concierge money on something else in the parks.

Deluxe resorts, we love the Poly the best. Yes it is more expensive than Wilderness Lodge, but having the monorail convenience (esp. with small kids who need naps... actually we needed the naps too) is priceless. Plus I love the theming.

I am from Canada, and Wilderness Lodge feels like we stayed home instead of going somewhere different. lol

There is a poll currently running that asks peoples favourite resort, so that would be worth looking at.

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Cas, actually, that part of it is not that difficult to price out when you compare it to what you'd pay for similar items at just counter service.

Continental breakfast served at counter service:
Fruit plate $2.50
Juice $2.25
Coffee $2.25
Bagel $2.50
Cereal/milk $2.75
Yogurt $2.50
= $15.00 pp x 5 = $75

Evening:
2 beers $9.00
2 glasses of wine $9.00
P B & J sandwich $4.25 x 3 kids = $12.75
3 bottles of soda = $6.00
= $36.75

So without factoring in any other snack items, appetizers, desserts or cordials that they might enjoy, they're already up to $112 of that $150 per night difference. It can be easily justified by some people and that difference can simply be the convenience of walking 50 feet from their room, as opposed to outside and across the resort.

Aurora
07-08-2007, 01:28 AM
Have the food offerings changed that much since 2003? We stayed at the Poly concierge in October 2003 and not only did we get a generous continental breakfast (most other hotels consider rolls, coffee and milk a c. brkfst.), but we also got what we would consider a small dinner offering -- including hot foods like an oriental noodle dish!

It sounds like standards may have changed...

On that trip the extra money was totally worth it for us.

Clotho
07-08-2007, 02:39 AM
For me, we stop at a store and pick up a few things for breakfast on the way to the resort. So we have bagels and cream cheese and fruit and tea every day. For far less than $150 a night. And we are never back at the room early enough to enjoy evening aperitifs! We're night owls, though. If we could enjoy these snacks more, we might be more intrigued. But at the price difference...it's not worth it to US. But I bet there are some people who love not only these conveniences, but the plain ol prestige of it. I know I can appreciate that reasoning at times. :)

mrsgaribaldi
07-08-2007, 04:03 AM
:welcome:to Intercot lovemygirls:mickey:

I've only stayed one time with concierge at the Beach Club for my 40th birthday.
It was something I always wanted to try. I really didn't find it worth the extra money for us. Alot of times we were not in the resort to take advantage of the offerings. We only asked the concierge staff members a few questions to help us and they were wrong every time. The room was nice with a balcony overlooking the water. I loved the convenience of walking to Epcot. Other than that, I didn't care for the resort at all.
We stayed at the Polynesian in January, not concierge, just a regular room and it was fantastic!!! If I could afford it I would stay there everytime:tikki: The grounds are beautiful and the CMs super nice and helpful. The room was great too:thumbsup:
The WL lodge is nice too. We stayed there once and got upgraded to a pool view with a large balcony. It was nice but we haven't gone back there.
We also stayed at the Contemporary with a MK view in Nov. It was nice but I really like the Poly alot more. If I could I would only stay at the Poly. It just was so nice and had such a nice relaxed feel about it. Even if I had to choose between CR with a MK view and the Poly with a regular view I would pick the Poly every time.

I think if I were you I would stay at a deluxe resort on the monorail and not do concierge. Your kids are older so you might find yourselves in the parks alot and missing out on the offerings at the resort. If you were on the monorail it's so easy to get around. I loved that aspect of the resorts too:thumbsup:

Tinkerbellfan
07-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Hello,

We are doing a concierge room for the 3rd time this trip. I did it once as a child and this will be my second adult trip with concierge. This is my mother's first trip back to WDW in over 15 years, so I wanted to make it even more special.

We are staying at the WL concierge again. I love having breakfast there for me each morning so there is less rushing around. Also, my mother and I trip tons of water, so I know we will end up saving $30+ a day on drinking bottled water from the concierge each day. We also love turn down server, cordials & wine each night. We also find we say $$$ on ordering appetizers each night since we have a hot snack from the concierge before we leave the resort.

Also, this year, we were able to book our ADR before the 180 mark so we were able to get every meal we needed and it also took a quick e-mail - no waiting a long time on a phone call.

This trip, we will also be going on the safari ride at AK that is only offered to concierge guests.

We can't afford to get a concierge room every trip but I do like to treat my party every few trips. As others said, it is a personal perference just like choosing which resort to stay at, which park is your favorite, CS vs. sit down vs a signature restaurants.

Good luck deciding - and, as others said, Wilderness Lodge is a great deluxe.

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Have the food offerings changed that much since 2003? Some things have changed, for example no more small bottles of water and freshly made hot oatmeal is only available during certain times. They do however offer sodas now, beer and oatmeal packets when they don't have fresh.

I definitely describe the breakfast as much more of a deluxe continental and evening offerings do still include 2 hot appetizer dishes on all club levels. What you get for the rest of the day varies by resort. At the YC for example, from 11am - 4pm, they had out bowls of goldfish crackers, gummy worms, peanuts, pudding packs and some uncrustable PB&J sandwiches. Compare that to the GF, which offers a light salad, vegetables, dips from 11am - 1:30 and from 2:00 - 4:30 it's afternoon tea, with warm scones & cream, brownies, cookies, sometimes a trifle.

Jen66
07-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I have never stayed concierge at WDW. but it does not seem to offer quite as much as most concierge levels outside the parks.
I would stay in a deluxe hotel, buy the dining plan and use the money saved by not staying club level to order room service regularly. Wake up most mornings to breakfast on your balcony. Order dessert plates for after a long day at the parks. etc. That's just my 2 cents:mickey:

Ian
07-08-2007, 11:45 AM
There's a few perks, but we stayed Poly concierge once and we were pretty disappointed in the service and value we got for the extra money.

If you've ever stayed concierge level in a real first-class resort, you'll be disappointed by Disney's concierge. They can't get you any tough-to-get ressies or tickets or anything ... the only real value is the snacks and the pre-planning (which is of very minimal value anyway).

Personally, I know we'll never waste the money again. Although with DVC, I guess we don't have to worry about that, do we? ;)

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I would stay in a deluxe hotel, buy the dining plan and use the money saved by not staying club level to order room service regularly. Wake up most mornings to breakfast on your balcony. Order dessert plates for after a long day at the parks. etc. That's just my 2 cents:mickey:That works too :thumbsup:, although I don't think it's very cost effective to use DDP on room service breakast. It's what, 2 table service credits for 1 room service meal. So whether you paid out of pocket, or used up your credits for the day on breakfast, you will be spending the same amount on your room service items as you would for concierge, but with concierge, you ultimately get even more.

For example:
WL standard courtyard room $270
WL standard club level room $375
Difference = $105

WL in room dining breakfast:
Fruit plate $11
Yogurt $3
Bagel & Cream Cheese $4
Box of cereal & milk $5
Pot of coffee $5
= $28 pp
Evening Dessert tray:
Apple pie $5
Mousse cake $5
Wine $5
= $20 for two people

Total for room service breakfast and desserts for two people is $76 per day. This is for the same exact items that are available in the lounge, so we're comparing apples to apples. In addition, there's the 18% gratuity and having to wait upwards of 30 minutes for your order once it's placed. So you're at $105 - $89 = $16 more for the club level room. It doesn't seem as crazy to only pay $16 more per night for more personalized service. And you can take the items from the lounge back to your own balcony to enjoy.

Depending on where you stay, the difference can be far less. The Poly for instance is $425 per night for a lagoon view room, an upgrade to garden concierge is only $40 more. For a family of 5, that's 2 glasses of wine and 3 cans of soda. It may not even be the food amenities for some people, but more so the feeling of being in a tropical vacation home, with the beautiful lounge that overlooks the castle. Just what each of us is comfortable spending our money on.

Again, not trying to sell people either way, just playing devils advocate here.

I did want to add after reading Ian's post, that some people are not concerned about the lounge. To others, the service is the most important feature and as compared to true concierges, it doesn't exist at Disney. They offer a more personalized service and can sometimes make things happen, but not always. In that situation, all the free snacks in the world is not going to make up for that lack of true concierge service.

yasmina
07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Just Dh, me, & our 2 girls. We had booked a standard room at the BWI. When we checked in we were upgraded to concierge w/o asking or expecting it! I totally loved it.

But to be honest, would I pay for it? NO! Sure, it was convenient for breakfast and snacks for our mid-day break and a couple of nights that we got back early enough for desert. Last summer, when we did 2 days at GF we didn't get/ask for an upgrade and it was no big deal.

jwallace378
07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Concierge was nice to do once. My wife and I did concierge at the Poly for our honeymoon. The free breakfast/snacks/drinks was the best part. Wouldn't do it again though.

dtootsie42
07-08-2007, 05:43 PM

Will said.....with the exception of two visits we always stay Conierge at the Poly.....we love the leisurely mornings, not to mention the evening service...our daughters have taken advantage of this instead of having a full seat down meal. A couple of times we have had problems with our dining reservations and the staff has been able to fix the problem. They staff has also helped out with birthday and anniversary celebrations. They have always gone that extra mile to help us out. As stated before to some the cost may not be worth it but we enjoy every minute and having the extra goodies just makes the vacation extra special.

Speedy1998
07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I sometimes think it would be neat to stay, in a deluxe hotel, with concierge service. But when it comes down to it all I do in my room at WDW is shower and sleep, so I just can not justify the added expense (it is also why we always end up at a value resort).

I think the 2 most important question anyone planning a trip to WDW, has to ask themselves, is: How much time will I really spend in my room? and how much time will I really spend at the resort?

If you are planning to spend alot of time laying around your resort's pool, or admiring the view from your room, then you probably want to stay at the more expensive resorts, in the more expensive rooms.

If you are like me and get up with the sun, are one of the first to arrive at the parks and are one of the last to leave, then the deluxe resorts are a big waste of money.

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2007, 09:06 PM
the question is: are the benefits you're stating worth $150.00 more per night?

Many people have more disposable cash than myself and the vast majority of those that visit WDW....

...but even if they do, are the "benefits" a reasonable return on the money spent for the vacation?

All I can say is yes, its worth it. Value isn't always based on the 'things' one receives but on the intangible benefits of the experience. Those intangibles at the Poly are the more relaxed feeling given by the concierge services, that gorgeous view, help when you need it (and I've never been disappointed with the concierge staff and their help), the ease of getting started in the day, and the relaxation that the evening and late services.

Those things add up for me but not everyone shares my viewpoint on value and so Poly Conceirge may not represent value to them. It will depend on what you are expecting from the experience and I get what I expect and a little more so.

I have stayed in other conceirge (including Fairmont) and yes some offer more 'tangible' benefits but nothing provides the relaxation and rejuvenation of Disney's Polynesian and concierge at Disney Polynesian even more so.

:tikki:

Catzle
07-08-2007, 11:08 PM
We have stayed at the Poly conceirge three times and loved all three experiences. With two young kids it's nice not to have to go "out" for breakfast and we always hang at the resort mid afternoon for a few hours, catch the light "dinner" snacks and than head to the parks. If we could afford to we would do this every time, but only if we can afford it. The Poly would be my reccommendation for a deluxe, and also for conceirge, our second would be WL, great place, great transportation and cost efficient!

chasgooses
07-09-2007, 02:50 AM
You are never going to be able to justify the difference between a regular room and a concierge room by simply looking at the food. While Tammi showed you can get pretty close (with a family of 5 breakfast and evening drinks can cost close to $100 each day you are there), you can't ever really get it. What ends up allowing me to justify staying concierge is that in addition to that you also get a better room location (usually) and the IPO help with booking stuff. I don't like to spend a lot of time calling Disney to book my ADRs and I find it so much easier to just e-mail IPO and have them do it for me. Also, at many resorts (like Contemporary, Poly, GF, etc.) the concierge levels are in the best locations in the resort. Either they have the best views or they are closest to the main building or something else. When you factor in the food, the price difference really isn't that much different from booking a room with a better view. The only difference is this time, your room comes with someone to help you plan the trip AND a better location.

TammiMcMan
07-09-2007, 09:07 AM
Chasgoose, you would think that at the very least, a concierge room at Disney would come with the best location, best views, best service, but unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. At the GF, CR, WL and AKL, a room view is assigned to you and it very well could end up being the least expensive view. Other than the GF and Poly, which have club level buildings, all the others are located within the resort and don't really offer a better location. Unless somebody feels that an upper floor is the best place to be. The YC and the BC both have lounges with balconies that overlook the parking lot :confused:.

Service is also very inconsistent. For whatever reason, there appears to be no set procedures in place for the club levels. Not everyone is contacted before hand, e-mails can go unreturned for days, as do phone calls. When the service is present, then it can absolutely be a worthwhile option, you just can't guarantee it though. We've had trips where staff were falling over themselves to make our vacation amazing and other times, it was like pulling teeth to get them to assist me.

Even with the flaws, I sometimes do choose club level still at Disney. As long as I know all the pro's and con's, I'm okay with taking my chances. At least I always know where I stand with the food ;).

lyle21
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
we don't usually stay concierge as a matter of course, but we have and it is convenient. i wouldn't break the bank for it it by any means. the deluxe resorts i like are good enough on their own. the boardwalk, contemporary, grand floridian, and wilderness lodge all provide great experiences and we spend a LOT of time back at the resort. the walk down to the bakery at the boardwalk or the walk to gaspy's at the grand aren't exactly chores.

however, the next trip will be a concierge trip. i will be taking my DH and maybe his parents for their first wdw trip. DH is a snacker and the lounge will provide for his grazing needs. his parents are older and i want them to be as comfortable as possible. coffee and tea nearby, that sort of thing. concierge will make their trips easier and more enjoyable.

but for a young family w/ kids who will be spending more time in the parks i wouldn't go all out. a standard room at any of my favorites will not disappoint. (can't comment on other deluxes)

cinderellagrl
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Chasgoose,\ The YC and the BC both have lounges with balconies that overlook the parking lot :confused:.

;).

Not true....
Just got back from Beach Club Concierge three days ago- the lounge looks over Stormalong bay.

but putting my two cents in....

I agree that it depends on what resort you are staying at!

The lounge at WL was wonderful! lots of choices and a huge seating area, that looked out down to the lobby, or out a large window into the pool/geyser area! The lounge also had couches..
the lounge at BC was lacking.... one small room with all the food and all the people.... definatly sub-par to WL!

TammiMcMan
07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Not true....
Just got back from Beach Club Concierge three days ago- the lounge looks over Stormalong bay.Sorry, I always have a tendency to lump those two resorts together (BC/YC) whenever I talk about one or the other. It's a bad habit, but I just automatically type it out that way.

princessgirls
07-10-2007, 11:41 PM
We like to do a few different things during the year, and for going to Disney I always try and go when it's a good price time. Value season with the free dining promo means that I got to go to Disney twice this year with a few days at the beach in between.

Concierge is nice, but I don't think it's really that great, or maybe I'm just jealous (LOL)
Just my two cents.
Julie:mickey:

lockedoutlogic
07-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Listen...there's obviously two sides to this issue...

But I just keep coming back to my personal experience....

I've stayed in both....
I've worked in both....

The difference between concierge at a Deluxe...and simply staying at a deluxe....
is marginal at best...there is no way around it.

You like the location? Great...but remember that the locations are just a part of the original footprint of the resort and weren't design to be different. Akl is the only one that was built recent enough to have been...and DVC is currently knocking out their walls.

You like the convenience of the mornings? Great....but let's not act as though a free danish down the hall is far superior to going to the quick serve at the main lodge...which is less than a 1/4 mile away. I mean...come on...

Evenings are great because you can watch the lagoon or sip a drink? Is anyone under the impression that you can't do that from all the other rooms? Want a drink...order a 48 dollar bottle of Iron Horse Cuvee in your room...you're still $100 up for the day.

They have special lounges? Not really...all those special lounges used to be regular lounges....with Wilderness Lodge being the big example (WL Concierge...established 2002)

And my favorite...the advanced planning...
I've timed it...granted I'm an old vet....but I can make 10 ADRs in under 10 minutes easily...assuming a competent person on the other end. They give the same advice and recommendations as the concierge. In fact, CRO reps (Dine included) would almost always have more experience and product knowledge than the Concierge peeps.....

concierge does provide some additional service sometimes....at GF...they would do an occasional airport run or off-property errand....or make a call to an airline about luggage.....
But to be frank, groups, conventions, and weddings get far more service on a bad day than those paying to stay in concierge get on a good day....
And why shouldn't they? Disney's structure is to ensure maximum profit and provide services according to dollars spent. Pay to play.

Am I biased due to work experience? maybe. But with that potential bias comes hard facts on the money involved, the training, the systems, and the actual differences in service, benefits, ...and even room locations.

So in the end....I'm a huge fan of concierge....

...Just kidding...I detest it....but not from a jealousy, greed, or personal experience perspective. All of those things aren't an issue for me....
I hate it because it is simply illogical....it doesn't make sense...and as with all things at WDW...to encourage upcharge is to encourage further upcharges....and while I'll still be there...many will get squeezed out over time.

KAT1811
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
If you've ever stayed concierge level in a real first-class resort, you'll be disappointed by Disney's concierge. They can't get you any tough-to-get ressies or tickets or anything ... the only real value is the snacks and the pre-planning (which is of very minimal value anyway).

I have to agree with you here. While I love concierge at other hotels I'll never do it in WDW. The whole purpose (for us) to stay concierge is to get the things other guests staying at rack rates can't. When we were in Vegas our concierge host got us tickets to the sold out Cirque show among many others. They even gave us tickets to a vegas show playing at the hotel for us and two other couples we were traveling with and they weren't even staying at the same hotel. To us the point is to pay for privledge. We go to WDW for the parks and I also plan like a mad woman so my ADRs are done at precisely 7:00am on that 180th day and we tour commando.

Cinderelley
07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
We've stayed concierge before.

When we did it, it was at the end of a big family reunion trip. When everyone else left, the kids and I switched to the Poly. We relaxed around the resort a lot. The cost really wasn't an issue because with 3 teenage boys, I know they ate more than $150 worth in the concierge lobby. I'm sure they ate my $150 worth of food too. The let down was the customer service. We were expecting concierge level service, and got "who gives a rat's backside" attitude.

I might stay concierge again so that the kids have access to the food if we're not doing the parks commando style. Most of our trips we're at the parks first thing in the morning and don't come home until they close though, so the food wouldn't be worth it. The service definitely isn't.

Grace
07-13-2007, 02:09 PM
:mickey:

The cost really wasn't an issue because with 3 teenage boys, I know they ate more than $150 worth in the concierge lobby. I'm sure they ate my $150 worth of food too.

Ditto for us, and we only have two teens! We spend alot of time at the Poly resort, and the only large meal we eat is at lunchtime, at a sit-down restaurant.
So our kiddies take great advantage of the lounge offerings of soft drinks and snacks, not to mention the breakfast for the 4 of us which saves alot of time and we don't have to fix anything ourselves. The evening offerings (which we can easily make a meal of) and the after-dinner desserts and apertifs add up too. Not to mention a couple of beers and a glass of wine or two every day.
So yes, we can easily justify the extra $150 cost for consierge, which in our case is probably less than we would have spent on food and drinks.
The location is wonderful too, and we have always experienced top notch service from the CM's.
It's difficult to compare WDW consierge to any other hotel consierge; it's comparing apples to oranges. The other hotels don't sit on Disney property.