PDA

View Full Version : Considering Renting from a DVC Member?

mprewitt
07-07-2007, 08:59 PM
This post is intended for non-DVC members who are interested in renting from a DVC member.

There are two ways you can stay in a Disney Vacation Club Villa:

Call WDW reservations (just like any other resort) and book a villa
Rent points from a DVC memberDisney allows the general public to book DVC units at rack rates through its regular resort reservations system, when available. Renting points from a DVC member is a much better deal, as it typically costs much less to rent from a DVC member than to book a DVC resort direct from Disney.

If you do decide to rent points from a DVC member, keep in mind that this is a private transaction between two people, and Disney is not involved in any way. If anything goes wrong, you can’t complain to Disney or expect them to resolve any problem. Renting points takes some work ahead of time to protect yourself and minimize the inherent risk of these types of transactions.

Please use due diligence before entering into any agreement and certainly before sending any payment. Renting points requires trust on both sides of the agreement, but even with trust there is a need for you to do some due diligence and common sense checking before sending off your money to a total stranger. You don’t want to be defrauded or left without a reservation.

Ask for references from the DVC member who is renting the points, and check their references
Don't rent from any member who has only made a few posts on the rental board. It could be an indicator of a scam. Review past posts on this board for the person you are working with so you can get an idea what type of person they may be.
Get the owner's full name, home address and home phone number before sending any payment. To the extent possible, confirm that the information is valid.
Confirm that the person is, in fact, a DVC owner by running a search at the Florida Comptroller's Office web site.
There should be a written contract or letter of agreement, signed by both of you, spelling out exactly what the rental will cost, when payment is due, dates of the stay, etc.
Never pay a total stranger by using a "cash equivalent" such as Western Union or money order.In summary: never, ever send money to anyone until you have confirmed their true identify and that they are, in fact, a DVC member, and you have a written agreement.

If something sounds "off," don't proceed. It's not worth taking the risk.

Also, please keep in mind the following:

Be aware that Disney Vacation Club will not speak with renters or give them any information. Only DVC owners can speak with DVC about reservations.
A DVC reservation is very different from a regular hotel reservation and the limitations/restrictions/penalties on the owner may make cancellation and rescheduling difficult or impossible. Those problems vary from owner to owner, from rental to rental, and you have no way of knowing what kind of restrictions the owner is under. If you get in a position where you have to cancel a rented reservation, the owner may not be able to help you.
You do not get daily maid service when you rent from a DVC member (while you do get daily maid service if you make the reservation through Disney CRO).The majority of rentals without any problem and involve satisfied parties on both sides of the transaction.

Donald A
07-07-2007, 09:37 PM
That is some very useful and complete information. I think it is important that renter's know, as you pointed out, that Disney does not get involved with a non-member. The renter is pretty much at the mercy of the member to make (and keep) the reservation. After all, the member could take your money and cancel. Most people are honest and a good point was made in this post to not rent from a complete stranger.

Momof5
07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you for all this information.

Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent from a DVC owner and then Disney offered free dining during the time of my stay, I would not be eligible for that free dining because I have not purchased my room from Disney directly?

locodemickey
07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Correct. They don't give free dining to DVC members using their points.

Maleficent's Dad
07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Thank you for all this information.

Am I correct in assuming that if I were to rent from a DVC owner and then Disney offered free dining during the time of my stay, I would not be eligible for that free dining because I have not purchased my room from Disney directly?
When using accomodations through DVC members for points (or members' discount on cash), you are not eligible for free dining.

DVC = no free dining.

mprewitt
07-11-2007, 01:49 PM
I just wanted to add that thousands of successful rental transactions have been completed throughout the history of the DVC program, and the savings are obvious. Reported instances of fraud occurring are small.

However, you should take whatever steps you feel are justified to become comfortable with the process prior to entering into a rental deal.You must understand that you are placing a great deal of faith in the DVC member's promise that a reservation has been made and will remain in force until your arrival.