PDA

View Full Version : Do you have park/kitchen strategy?

EmcDuckRN
07-07-2007, 06:59 PM
This time (January) we'll be on the dining plan, just because the restaurants can be a destination on their own!

But the following trip (yeah, I'm bad... planning the next NEXT trip already... :blush: )

I'm thinking of doing the cooking in the room (no. I'm not going to have the DW do it...) I can see how some people pack a lunch into the park, but how do you plan your day to have dinner at a reasonable time? Waiting until 10 PM for dinner seems like a bad idea.

My situation is that we like to go in the winter time DEC/JAN so hours are usually shorter. We like to catch Wishes, Fantasmic, Illuminations.

Is there some way that some of you have been able to plan out having dinner in the room and not missing out too? Is there a time to plan to leave and come back that actually works? Or is this a have your cake and eat it too situation?

vizsla
07-08-2007, 08:21 AM
This year we are planning on having a few meals at our room for the first time. We are going to use Garden Grocer for the first time also. Our plans are for early suppers , around 4-4:30: We picked that time frame since we are early birds and head to the parks first thing, and usually leave the parks between 11 and 12 to take a break and do some swimming, or boating. Then head back to the parks around 5 pm. That works out for us since the parks will be open late when we are going down.

Maleficent's Dad
07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
I like Vince's thinking above; we are a family of the same mentality! :D

I always find it funny how so many people won't use the kitchen to cook on vacation! We don't make elaborate meals, but we do occasionally cook dinner and make full use of our kitchen. (BTW, I'm the cook, NOT DW! ;))

We too, are early risers - if you leave the parks at or just after lunch, you have time to actually enjoy the resort(s). Early dinners, then back into the parks. It does work.

Only problem? Cleaning up!
Someone's gotta do those pots & pans and load the dishwasher!!!

Overall, we do find it nice down time - great family time - when we eat in the room. Now I'll admit that the vast majority of our meals are out, but dining in is a very nice option with DVC rooms.

We find B'fast the easiest meal to do in - even eggs & bacon, pancakes, the works. Lunch is easy (sandwiches) but falls at an awkward time. Early dinners are nice, relaxing meals.

Good luck! :mickey:

Sharon1026
07-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm with Frank.
I've done DDP, and quite honestly, it's just too much food for us. We like to eat some meals in the room. Breakfast every day, for sure.

Dinners - just plan ahead and make some simple recipes. We live in Florida, so we drive to Disney and bring our food. Some simple dishes do the trick. Honestly, sometimes after walking around all day I don't want a super heavy meal. Especially when it's hot out.

We usually find that if we go the park early, we come back at or after lunch, hang by the resort, eat dinner at the room then go back to the park. By the time you head over to a restaurant, get waited on, etc., it takes less time to cook. The other advantage is that if we eat in the room, you can easily change your plans! It's a pain to eat dinner at Epcot and then decide you want to spend the evening at MK. Dinner in the room gives you some flexibility that way.

I love the restaurants, but not every night - it's just too heavy for me.