PDA

View Full Version : Door Decoration??

frogprincemom
07-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Hello to all!!

Our family is planning a 3 night Bahamas cruise for Dec. 6 - 9. This is our first ever cruise and I am VERY excited. I dont post much but I read posts on Intercot on practically a daily basis whether we have a trip planned or not (you can never be too prepared, right?) Anyway, I think I read something in the past about people decorating the doors to their staterooms. Our children are 3 & 5, and I think this is something that they would really get into. Can anyone share any advice or possibly photos? <snip>.

Thanks ya'll!! I know I can always count this site for good advice.:number1:

crazypoohbear
07-06-2007, 11:28 PM
If I remember you can't use tape any longer on your door decorations, it was causing too much work touching up for the CM's.
We purchased magnetic paper from walmart (in the computer paper/picture paper section)
Let the kids download or design pictures and greetings and then print them on the magnetic paper. have a wonderful trip :mickey:

RobWreck
07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
If memory serves me correctly, DCL sells various sorts of door decorations in a 'Welcome Aboard' package of some sort. You might want to look into that...
Rob

ElenitaB
07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Magnets are an absolute must! That said, it is a lot of fun and I do think your kids will get into it! Here's a pic of our door (http://www.benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090755#112087430-L-LB) from our cruise last November.

I'm bummed about one little detail though... you're getting off the ship the same day we're getting on. It would have been great to cruise with someone else from Intercot. :dance:

GreenBeetle
07-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Ellen: Did you get that great DVC magnet on the ship? I love it! I'd like to get one for our first cruise in September. Did you make any of the others on the door like some other Intercot folks have mentioned?

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but I'm curious.

angedeaile
07-08-2007, 02:51 AM
I didn't even think about magnetic paper...wow!

What a great idea! Thanks :thumbsup:

TammiMcMan
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I used my computer and the magnetic paper as well. You can also just buy magnets that stick or glue onto the backs of other items. Not sure if Home Depot still sells the Disney paint samples in the shapes of Mickey heads, but I've seen those used on the doors as well. Just peel and stick a magnet onto the back and you're good to go.

ariel03
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Just a warning. I tried using magnetic paper to decorate our door but it didn't work. It just fell right off. Make sure it is a really strong magnet to get thru all those layers of paint they got on the doors. I just ended up putting the stuff arranged on the desk. I did try it on painted surfaces here at home before we left and it worked great. But when we got there it was a no go.

ElenitaB
07-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Ellen: Did you get that great DVC magnet on the ship? I love it! I'd like to get one for our first cruise in September. Did you make any of the others on the door like some other Intercot folks have mentioned?

Don't mean to hijack the thread - but I'm curious.
Even though we didn't cruise using points, it was noted on our reservation that we were DVC members. When we arrived, the magnet was on the door! If you are DVC members, don't miss the member gathering while onboard. It was fun to attend, the representatives were extremely nice and filled us in on DVC happenings and future happenings, AND there was a trivia contest with some nice prizes. :thumbsup: They also gave everyone DVC baseball caps to wear on Castaway Cay the next day. If they "caught" you wearing it, they gave you a DVC pin.

And in answer to your other question, I made all the other door signs except for the birthday one. I made three: boarding (http://www.benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090742#107921220-L-LB), Nassau and Castaway Cay (http://www.benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090746#107851705) (the gray was a cut-out for the room number), debarkation (http://benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090756#107920401-L-LB) (our cruise ended the Sunday before Thanksgiving).

GreenBeetle
07-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Even though we didn't cruise using points, it was noted on our reservation that we were DVC members. When we arrived, the magnet was on the door! If you are DVC members, don't miss the member gathering while onboard. It was fun to attend, the representatives were extremely nice and filled us in on DVC happenings and future happenings, AND there was a trivia contest with some nice prizes. :thumbsup: They also gave everyone DVC baseball caps to wear on Castaway Cay the next day. If they "caught" you wearing it, they gave you a DVC pin.

And in answer to your other question, I made all the other door signs except for the birthday one. I made three: boarding (http://www.benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090742#107921220-L-LB), Nassau and Castaway Cay (http://www.benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090746#107851705) (the gray was a cut-out for the room number), debarkation (http://benellen.smugmug.com/gallery/2090756#107920401-L-LB) (our cruise ended the Sunday before Thanksgiving).

Yes, we are DVC members and we are using points for the cruise - so hopefully we'll find one on our door too.

As always, thanks for the great information and suggestions. Guess I better get busy making some magnets! :cool:

disneyjo-91
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Does any cruise line let you decorate your door or is it only disney? I am going on my 1st cruise this year and thought this was a great idea!

angedeaile
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
I have heard that others have no rules against decorating, but most cruisers just don't bother.

I can see why. If I didn't hear about others doing it too, I probably wouldn't bother myself.

You don't want to look like the only crazy on the ship. Luckily, everyone who wants to go on a DCL is a little wacky :mickey:

JMTStone
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
I just got off of a Princess boat (and planning my Disney Cruise now - Anyone going to the West Carrib April 2008?) and they put balloons over your door if you were celebrating but I saw NO decorations on the doors.

Comparing Disney to Princess should be fun. Princess wasn't really kid-friendly. The kiddie pool was smaller than my first apartment's kitchen. The kids club hours were short. There was no real entertainment for them and the entertainment for us was.... a little stale

I can't wait to try Disney because I love the concept but having it done by Disney would be fantastic for our family.

We'll be using points and cash....

Ed
07-14-2007, 07:11 PM
On our first DCL cruise, my wife was celebrating her birthday, and the staff decorated the door with balloons and a banner, and on our most recent one when we arrived we found a large magnetic sticker welcoming us "Home" as DVC members and another welcoming us back as Castaway Club members.

Only downside is that apparently someone took a liking to our DVC magnet, because it disappeared from our door the first night. But not to worry. The DVC rep onboard quickly supplied us with a replacement, and both magnets are now proudly displayed (where else?) on our refrigerator!