PDA

View Full Version : Home Resort..can I pick it?

Bohms4
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Can I pick my home resort or does DVC do it for me?

sillyolbear
07-05-2007, 04:31 PM
It is determined by where you purchase your points.

If you purchased Animal KIngdom Villas, then that is your home resort and the resort that you may book in the 11 month window.

Horizon93
07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
When buying from DVC, it depends on what is available. For instance, DW and I just bought in. Our choice was between Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas. We went with Animal Kingdom. Currently, those are the 2 resorts for sale as home resorts. Hope that helps!

mprewitt
07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
You can actually pick any of the 8 DVC resorts as your home resort.

By going resale, you will have 7 of the resorts available (AKV is not yet available via resale).

By going through DVC, they will try to sell you just SSR or AKV. However, if you demand it and the points are available, you can pickup any of the other 6 resorts.

I initially purchased AKV from DVC and then added on points (from DVC) at 3 other resorts to have 4 home resorts.

lockedoutlogic
07-06-2007, 10:25 PM
You can actually pick any of the 8 DVC resorts as your home resort.

By going resale, you will have 7 of the resorts available (AKV is not yet available via resale).

By going through DVC, they will try to sell you just SSR or AKV. However, if you demand it and the points are available, you can pickup any of the other 6 resorts.

I initially purchased AKV from DVC and then added on points (from DVC) at 3 other resorts to have 4 home resorts.

no offense...but if you originally purchased AKV...then you've only had DVC for about 5 months at the most....

I wouldn't say you "have your pick" of anywhere...while you can buy resale at any location...the prices will be higher than a new purchase based on number of points over the life of the contract....if you buy any of the original six locations, your contract will expire at least 12 years earlier than the newer 2 locations....

It may not be an issue for some...but it very well could be for others

mprewitt
07-07-2007, 09:01 AM
I wouldn't say you "have your pick" of anywhere...while you can buy resale at any location...the prices will be higher than a new purchase based on number of points over the life of the contract....if you buy any of the original six locations, your contract will expire at least 12 years earlier than the newer 2 locations....

A lot of folks who take the DVC tour get the impression that all you can buy is SSR and AKV. This impression is fostered by DVC, as that is what the sales person is trying to sell.

The point is that you are not limited to just these two resorts. You can choose any of them, and the points are readily available on the resale market and usually available direct from DVC.

I've seen a lot of posts by folks who bought into DVC and didn't like their home resort (for example, SSR). They didn't know they could buy into VWL, BCV, etc.

Yes, there are different termination dates for the older resorts. But if all you really want to do is stay at VWL for Christmas, or BCV during the F&W festival, then you should buy there to get the 11-mo booking advantage.

Horizon93
07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
A little off topic, but how many points do you need to add another home resort? Can you only use the points for that added resort to book 11 months out?

mprewitt
07-07-2007, 10:54 AM
A little off topic, but how many points do you need to add another home resort? Can you only use the points for that added resort to book 11 months out?

The smallest add-on you can do is 25 points, but there's not a lot you can do with that. I guess you could bank one year and borrow the next to have 75 points every 3 years.

You can only use the points you own at a resort to book that resort at the 11-mo window.

You can combine all your points at all resorts only at the 7-mo window.

MinnieMommie
07-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Just want to point out that although you can buy a resale anywhere (based on availability), if you buy new at SSR or AK there is a later expiration date. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Just want to point out that although you can buy a resale anywhere (based on availability), if you buy new at SSR or AK there is a later expiration date. :mickey:

yeah...by 12 years at SSR or 15 years at AKV.....

that is roughly 25% of the total use of the contract....

that's a pretty big loss in value...not to mention that if you now pay $90 a point for a resale at Beach Club...you are paying 10-15 dollars more per point than they initially sold for....

seems like more for less to me...

Bohms4
07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you all for your responses....it helps a lot!

Boston5602
07-18-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah...by 12 years at SSR or 15 years at AKV.....

that is roughly 25% of the total use of the contract....

that's a pretty big loss in value...not to mention that if you now pay $90 a point for a resale at Beach Club...you are paying 10-15 dollars more per point than they initially sold for....

seems like more for less to me...

I willingly gave up the extra time at SSR to buy in at BWV last year and be extremely happy every vacation. The Epcot and MGM area of WDW is my main vacation area at WDW. If I only went to this area and never went anywhere else I would be happy.

I knew giving up the extra 12 years to be very happy was a right decision for me :-)

Becky'sMom
07-22-2007, 11:02 AM
well, I'll add my 2 cents too...
I just got back from 2 weeks in Disney...staying at my timeshare off site.
While I am ok with my 3 bedroom lock-out,, my DH doesn't like the atmosphere and so we went to a DVC open house.
Saratoga Springs is still available and the incetive right now is $10pp while the incentive for Animal Kingdom is $8pp...the incentive would be available to me until tomorrow.
I cannot buy animal kingdom in resale, but I can buy saratoga Springs in resale for about $82 pp - that is $8pp less than my incentive price and I don't have to decide by tomorrow.
I can also buy at OKW for as little as $67pp. This is 30% lower than current rates, yes, it expires 12 or 15 years earlier, but for the difference in money, I can either invest the savings, or purchase more pts for the same money giving me larger accommodations or more frequent vacations or the ability to get some of my maintenance back by renting unused pts....
Just my take on it,
Lauren

Sunshine1010
07-29-2007, 06:43 PM
If you go through Disney, you pick from what is available. Right now, it's SSR and AKL.

If you go through a resale company, you pick from what is available. Right now, it's all of them (except AKL).

You just have to choose WHO you want to purchase your timeshare through.

There are pros and cons in buying from either.

Do your research and choose wisely, and what's best for you.

Maleficent's Dad
07-29-2007, 08:15 PM
If you go through Disney, you pick from what is available. Right now, it's SSR and AKL.
Not necessarily...
Read the above posts. Although there are pros & cons to it, you can wait for any DVC resort to have the points you want and purchase directly through Disney - including the Beach Club!

Sunshine1010
07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
oh