PDA

View Full Version : PIZZA! Where's the best?

DessertDivaFL
07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
My teenage son, who has autism, loves cheese pizza. I would like to know where the best pizza is in the Disney Parks (MK, Epcot and MGM) and at any Disney resorts. Thanks for posting your recommendations.:)

aprilisis
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Welcome to Intercot!!!! I think where you live in the country may determine what kind of pizza you like. For example- I am from Massachusetts and I only like New England and New York pizza. The only pizza I like in WDW is at Mama Melrose's & Pizzafari. (and maybe another place I forgot about) I know that a lot of others on the board like pizza in other places at WDW, though, so you should get some great answers- definitely better than mine!

DessertDivaFL
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Mama Melrose's will probably be one place we will try. I look forward to hearing other opinions.
:rocks:

playdead88
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
mama melroses is good but pizzafari is awesome for counter service - the ceasar salads are great too! :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
07-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree with Pizzafarri!! YUMMY

SgtTigger
07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
WELCOME to INTERCOT........

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in June and really liked the pizza from there...... It was different than in the past. It was a flat bread pizza and they had the choice from Cheese and Pepperoni........ It was much better than in the past.....

:cop: :tigger:

mulatoqt
07-06-2007, 08:58 PM
You should definately try pizzafari in AK and be sure to get a side of breadsticks!!! sooo good and the restaurant is wonderfully decorated. Another one of my favorites is at pizza planet in MGM. It's my personal favorite CS, and the desserts and side dishes are awesome and HUGE. Lucky for your son, many counter services in Disney offer pizza and its all soooooo good! but if you go to pizza planet be sure to try the giant sugar cookie, its pure bliss:).

DessertDivaFL
07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
but if you go to pizza planet be sure to try the giant sugar cookie, its pure bliss:).

Thanks for the sugar cookie info. He also loves sugar cookies and when I told him that there was a giant sugar cookie at Pizza Planet he was so excited. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

OogieBoogieMan
07-07-2007, 09:47 PM
This probably won't be much help with the pizza selection problem but I saw your son had autism and needed to post a note. Our son has autism as well. He does very well but as I am sure you know, you never know what may happen when you break from a routine. We went to California Grill for dinner and he ordered the pizza, a favorite at home. The only problem was that it was on a wheat crust and when it arrived I suspected he would have nothing to do with it. Much to my surprise he loved it and ate the whole pizza. I subsequently learned that when he has pizza at school it is always on a whole wheat crust, so he was already OK with two kinds of pizza. It made me happy I didn't get in the middle of decision of the first place. The pizza at CG is quite good by the way!

DessertDivaFL
07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
This probably won't be much help with the pizza selection problem but I saw your son had autism and needed to post a note. Our son has autism as well. He does very well but as I am sure you know, you never know what may happen when you break from a routine. We went to California Grill for dinner and he ordered the pizza, a favorite at home. The only problem was that it was on a wheat crust and when it arrived I suspected he would have nothing to do with it. Much to my surprise he loved it and ate the whole pizza. I subsequently learned that when he has pizza at school it is always on a whole wheat crust, so he was already OK with two kinds of pizza. It made me happy I didn't get in the middle of decision of the first place. The pizza at CG is quite good by the way!

It is good to hear from someone who understands how something so simple like pizza can be to a child with autism. You are lucky about the whole wheat crust deal. My son may like it but whenever they put orange colored cheese on the pizza he won't eat it. Hopefully I can specify "white cheese only" and hopefully they won't be annoyed. I will remember your sugggestion and thank you!

Crow
07-07-2007, 10:05 PM
WELCOME to INTERCOT........

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge in June and really liked the pizza from there...... It was different than in the past. It was a flat bread pizza and they had the choice from Cheese and Pepperoni........ It was much better than in the past.....

:cop: :tigger:
wow really? ill be at WL in sept & will have to remember this...Pizza is my fav food but i didnt have any last trip...did have a calzone at CSR that was good.
ill have to try Pizza Planet sometime.

jsw123
07-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I'll echo the Pizzafari reccomendation at AK. I like to branch out, myself, but last time the kids (and the husbands, to be honest) were clamboring for food right when we passed it. The pizza was really good and they have salads and sandwiches, too---plus a nice, air conditioned atmosphere---and plenty of seeting. It was a nice break! Have fun!:mickey:

Disneyfun
07-08-2007, 12:27 AM
I'll preface this by saying I am a pizza junkie!

I have yet to have ANY traditional pizza at WDW that taste good at all. I have eaten at Pizza Planet, albeit a number of years ago, and would have to be paid to eat what they called pizza. Papa John's is 50 times better!

As for nontraditional pizza, California Grill does some interesting stuff.

If you tell the reservationist when making your ADR's of any special requests for your son, they will be most happy to honor all requests if at all possible. I have found almost all of the restaurants at WDW to be very accomodating with requests that guests have due to any condition or even my finicky stomach!

tinkerbell04
07-08-2007, 09:12 AM
I too am pretty fond of the pizza at Pizzafari. I will also echo the WL comment. The flatbread pizza there was great when we were there just a week ago. I had the cheese and my DH had the pepperoni, both were enjoyed!:mickey:

LarryBoy
07-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Our DS 6 is also autistic, and he is a big fan of Pizza Planet at Disney Studios. The pizza there is pretty good for theme park pizza, he eats every bite, but what he really loves is the fact that it's Pizza Planet from Toy Story. He's a big fan of the TS movies. I will warn you though that it can be kind of noisy, since it has an arcade, and it does not really look like the PP in the movie. That being said, he has always really enjoyed eating there.

Jenemmy
07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi -- I'm also mom to a gorgeous boy with autism -- I feel like we have a little brotherhood going on here :)

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that if he has a favorite chain for pizza, those place will deliver to your resort. If you took a swim break in the middle of the day from the parks, you could always order up a quick pizza before heading back out in the evening.

EvilQueen2006
07-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I really enjoyed the pizza at The Pop Century food court.

Disney Donnie
07-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Pizza planet at MGM.Yum:mickey:

BronxTigger
07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Pizzafari has good pizza.

Other places that have pizza that is similar (the personal pan style like at Pizzafari) are Catalina Eddie's in MGM (near Tower of Terror/Rnr) and Pinocchio's Village Haus in Fantasyland (MK). For some reason, I couldn't find any of that type (or any type!) in Epcot. Am I missing something here?

January-2007
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
We also really like the personal pizzas at Pop Century.

pugslave
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I'd like to chime in! I have a 7-yo daughter with Asperger syndrome (on the autistic scale) and she LOVES the pizza at Spoodles at the Boardwalk. It's an easy walk from Epcot. They have flat bread pizzas, and they have white pizzas (without tomato sauce) which she loves. They are VERY good, especially the four cheese and garlic (Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it!). Have a blast. Off subject, we have found that ear plug are invaluable for WDW. Another poster had noted that it is loud in Pizza Planet. Our DD can get through anything with ear plugs!! Have fun!

berri_boo
07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
My family knows me as a pizza connoisseur. I used to eat basically nothing but pizza:pizza::eat: (I'm surprised I'm not even the slightest bit overweight!).

I love homemade pizza...but I also love Domino's (there's something about that spicy sauce). I have read from other posts here that the WDW pizza does not get rave reviews here....but I love it. Here are the places I think have the best pizza at the parks:

Magic Kingdom: Pinocchio's Village Haus
Disney/MGM Studios: Pizza Planet
Epcot: couldn't find any
Animal Kingdom: Pizzafari

Now I have read also that the three places named above are ordered from the same supplier (buying in bulk saves money of course). I don't know if this is actually true or not but the pizzas sure did taste the same. They all have that Domino's taste to it.

As for the resorts, last year was my first trip and I only tried the pizza at PO-FQ (where we stayed) and thought it was so-so....nothing spectacular. I'm hoping to get a chance to try pizza from Mama Melrose's during our upcoming trip.

Hope this helps

mickeys_princess
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
The absolute best pizza in WDW is at Wolfgang Puck's!! Cant wait for that again!

wdwfan
07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
We really like the pizza at Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD.

Joanna
07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
We like the non-traditional flatbread pizzas at Mama Melroses and Jiko.

garymacd
07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
We had some absolutely fantastic coal oven pizza on our last trip...unfortunately it was in New York City.
Seriously, I think you would find the best pizza at Mama Melroses.

emmingo
07-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Being from Chicago, there is no pizza that can ever really be...pizza...in my eyes, but I have to say that Pizza Planet makes a pretty good pepperoni pizza...I do remember their cheese being a mix of white and yellow though, so that might be something to check out. I have also heard amazing things about Spoodles! :)

2Epcot
07-10-2007, 11:03 PM
No suggestions for best pizza, but just wanted to make a comment that it was great to see this thread stay on track to the original question. Very nice! :pizza: :rocks:

DessertDivaFL
07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
No suggestions for best pizza, but just wanted to make a comment that it was great to see this thread stay on track to the original question. Very nice! :pizza: :rocks:

I agree, as I was hoping everyone would give great suggestions and I appreciate every single one! I told my son about these suggestions and he seemed OK with trying them. We love the pizza at Wolfgang Puck's too! The best, in my opinion, in WDW.

Llamaface23
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Since I'm from an extremely Italian family and neighborhood, I am, to safely say, picky as to what I think is 'good pizza'. I haven't tried pizza anywhere in the world except once through room service at ASMusic. I found it WAY below par -- I couldn't even eat a whole slice. I would probably equate it to something like Dominoes or Pizza Hut, so if this is something your son enjoys, then the pizza delivery is for you. I agree with previous poster who mentioned that what you think is 'best' is highly relative to the kind of pizza you are familiar with and enjoy. Hope this helps! Have fun!

Mikey Piano 23
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Just to add something to Llamaface:

I think it was WORSE than Dominoes or Pizza Hut. I too am extremely Italian and I would rather eat anything else on the planet than the room service pizza again. AVOID AVOID AVOID Disney you should be ashamed of yourself. :down: Usually the food is above average!

PETE FROM NYC
07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I totally agree with threads #30,and #31.
I am a NY born of Italian ancestry.
Pizza and WDW are a contradiction of terms.
Earlier this year,I started a thread here about the worst food at WDW, and their excuse for pizza won hands down.