PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic w/ little ones

kathiep
07-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm looking for a lot of opinions on this one.

I've been considering going to see Fantasmic when we are there in Sept. We've never been and I've heard a lot of great things about it.

I will have my DS 4 and DD 2 1/2 with me.

Has anyone else taken little kids to this? Is it too frightening for them? Is it really loud?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Mickey'sGirl
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
We have taken our youngest at 6 months and at age 3 -- He enjoyed the show both times.... It was that waiting for it that was hard -- He LOVED seeing Mickey appear and reappear somewhere else....LOVED it.

ImagiAsh
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't personally have little ones of my own, but I've been with people who do. Fantasmic can get quite loud at times, so explaining to them that there will be loud music, fire, and fireworks might be a good thing to do before going in. Every kid is different. The little ones I went with were fascinated by everything about the show. Two seats down from us was an infant who slept through the whole thing. :laughing: The good thing is: it's an outdoor theatre. If you find that the kids aren't enjoying it, it's a quick exit. Good luck!:mickey:

snifflesmcg
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
In 2005 we were with a 1 1/2 year old (my friend's son) and he definately didn't like the dragon. There is a huge dragon that has lazer beams coming out of it's eyes. I belive there is a giant snake too. It all depends on the kid.

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
I took my kids last year (then 5 and 3) and I was a nervous wreck. But I didn't need to be - they both loved it. I did have ear plugs for them though and I think that helped. We went again this year, but with no ear plugs, and we all had a great time. Some of the characters can be a little frightening and the fire portion of the show can be intimidating, but just distract the kids if needed and know that these parts don't last long. It really is an awesome show and I highly recommend it!

Jared
07-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Small children may be frightened by Fantasmic! because of the fire and parade of classic Disney villains. Unlike the other nighttime shows, Fantasmic! tells a scary story with characters most kids know.

Tell your children, especially the younger one, that good does prevail. Mickey Mouse wins no matter how bad it looks in the middle of the show.

Honestly, most youngsters--and adults--are completely dazzled.

divinedi
07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
It really depends on your child. When my children were younger (3 girls) they really disliked loud noises, the youngest, who is now 17 still doesn't like loud noises, and cringes around balloons when people are threatening to pop them :), so I definitely wouldn't have taken them when they were small, but now they are fine. You alone know your child and what they can tolerate, it is very loud for sure, and if they frighten easily, it might not be the best thing to do. Just MHO.

Susan A
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Fantasmic is very loud. It can easily be frightening for little ones. There are quite a few movie clips of villians. Do you children watch Disney movies? How do they make it through the dark villian scenes?
In the end though, Michey triumphs over evil and there is a happy, bright ending. Overall, it is a great show. If you do, be prepared to step out, or leave before the ending.

Lizzie
07-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I would also see how they do with the other loud shows at Disney. If they don't respond well to them I wouldn't bother with Fantasmic.

GrmGrninGost
07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Fantasmic is a great show!:mickey:However, it is VERY loud at points. It can also be scary for the young ones. We have been with our DKs many times and they did fine. Most of the younger kids around us have been fine. You will not know how they will take it unless you go to see for yourself. It is well worth a look!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-06-2007, 08:05 PM
My kids love Fantasmic. We have been taking them since their first trips. :mickey:

If I can say there was any parts that they were scared of, it would be the dragon (at first glance, they thought it was cool after they realized what it was) and the water spray during the water screen portions. I don't think she realized it was only a fine mist from the water screen..lol. Our DD was the one that was scared of it. We were sitting pretty close in the center Mickey section so I don't think it would be a problem in another area or if it was a calm night with wind. What can I say?! She's a nut. ;)

Mickey91
07-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Our DD was scared of the nightmare part the first couple of times we went. I think she was 4 and 5. She thought it was okay the last time (9), but still a bit timid. DS loves it! There are LOTS of little kids there, some do great and others are scared. It just depends on your kids.

little disney lovers
07-07-2007, 06:31 AM
We took our DD3 and DD5 to Fantasmic at DL, I think It's pretty much the same show.
I went armed with the double stroller, blankets to hide under, light sticks in case it got dark and scary, candy as distractions, and their big, strong Daddy! They didn't need anything, not even thier big, strong Daddy! They both loved it and we went back again the next night!
I would talk to your kid/s about what to expect before you go, And maybe test the waters with a mildy scary ride.
Have fun!:mickey:

crazykids
07-07-2007, 08:13 AM
I'll be there w/ my 3 little ones in September - ages 20 months, 3, & 4.

Simbafan73
07-07-2007, 09:40 AM
We have been a number of times and we think your kids will absolutely love it! They will be mesmerized by the entire show. Try to sit closest to the center as possible. Close to the front is not all that important.The atmosphere in the crowd is great and very enthusiastic.

jpH/keD
07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
We went in '05 w/ DS2 and DD4. He slept thru it but she was terrified!! The dragon sent her over the edge and she and I ran up the steps and hid behind some concrete booth thing. She wouldnt even let me peek around to continue watching! Also the heat from the fire on the water was amazing to me but not her! I would plan an escape in case they get upset! Enjoy your trip!! :thumbsup:

moe513
07-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Its great. You cant miss it. The wait is tough. Maybe you can bring things to keep mthe busy.

kadesha
07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
we went in may. it is loud. My 3 year old LOVED it!!! But we ended up having to leave early because my 4 year old was terrified.

EmcDuckRN
07-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Both of mine loved it. The Daugter first saw it at Disneyland when she was 3 and the son at WDW when he was 4.

Both love fireworks, both love Mickey especially Sorcerer Mickey.

The sound didn't scare mine since the fireworks, flames, villians, etc, were all explained to be "Mickey magic" and that it was a show that Mickey was putting on just for them. I also forewarned them of the villian's and explained that mickey wins.

They were so excited to see "Magic Mickey" that the rest was just "filler" to them. But I think that the preparation was key.

But...

Sometimes kids when tired will melt down on things that they can normally handle.

Don't be afraid to take them out (even for a composure break) if it is just too much. Not every kid can handle it after an exhausting day of fun. See if you can sit towards the back, further away from the dragon's flames, and the "bad guys" anyway. The view is still good.

If the short break does the trick, then, if they are ready, come back when the Boat comes through with the characters.

Another trick that can alleviate some stress is to have them say something maybe "BOO BAD GUYS!" if the villians are making them anxious. I know that it wouldn't bother me for a little one to do this. I'd think it was cute actually, but then, I like children. :mickey:

Last trick? I've seen little girls with tinkerbell wands "wish them away" or boys with the little toy guns "shoot" at the villians and it worked very well. most haven't had to do that. And I have seen very few little ones having to be removed from the show, (now tough to be a bug? diffferent story entirely!)

psychotekkie
07-08-2007, 12:31 AM
AWESOME tips from EmcDuckRN.

Plus do try the earplugs, if your child is willing to keep them in. Children's hearing is much more sensitive than our own and loud noises are not just frightening to them, they are actually physically painful. I remember as a child that even the sound of applause in a large crowd was painful and deafening.

And one more thing, if you prepare your child by telling them what to expect, it greatly alleviates any fear due to surprise. (And be sure to sound enthusiastic about it, because if you sound worried, even about their reaction, they will definitely pick up on it). Honestly! Who would ever expect a fire-breathing dragon to pop up during a show! If they know Mickey will fight that dragon and send it away it can be a fun scene for them.