PDA

View Full Version : Official: Wand is Coming Down!

mcjaco
07-05-2007, 12:29 PM
The Wand is coming down.

I'm putting money on it, that Siemens had something to do with the removal.

At long last, SSE will be back to it's former glory!

Minnie4me
07-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Just read in the Orlando Sentinel that the arm and wand will be removed from Spaceship Earth starting Monday. Also coming down are the 36-foot-high "Epcot" letters and colored stars splashing across the sphere.

I think this needed to happen a loooong time ago!! It will be nice to see Spaceship Earth back to it's original look.

Comments????

BrerEmma
07-05-2007, 12:37 PM
This a great leap forward.:mickey::number1::beer:

pshokie
07-05-2007, 12:38 PM
This makes me sad....:(

I am not a "you can have the wand when you pry it from my cold dead hands" person, but I do think it adds something to SSE. I know purists hate it and always wanted it down, but I have this strange feeling that once it is down, people will start to lament it. People will start recalling the days of the wand and start calling for its re-insertion.

For my :twocents: I have always felt that the sphere felt "dated" (70's architecture), much like how "old" tomorrowland felt dated, even though it was supposed to evoke the future.

carribeanpirate5
07-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm disappointed.....Personally, I liked the look. We will be there in 43 days (not counting, though;)) and I guess there will be some construction equipment around.

Speedy1998
07-05-2007, 12:40 PM
This is bad, now we have to hear it called the golf ball again. Personnaly I think the wand added a little something to a boring building.

Wells
07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Fantastic news!!.....now if they would just get rid of that wretched hat at MGM...

Wrigley
07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I am very disappointed. I really liked the look of the wand. :( I wish they would change their mind and not take it down.:(

SurferStitch
07-05-2007, 01:09 PM
:pout::fit::down:

Oh, that's terrible! I was really hoping to see it in December!

:sob:

snifflesmcg
07-05-2007, 01:12 PM
That upsets me. The wand makes it more "Disneylike". Without it, it just looks like a big old golf ball.

SurferStitch
07-05-2007, 01:14 PM
:sob:

I really wanted to see it one more time before it was torn down.

I like SE much better with the wand. It will look very plain again.

This is a real bummer.

:pout:

Jared
07-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Where were all these people when everyone was complaining about the wand?

I'm glad to see Spaceship Earth naked again. The structure is so impressive that it does not need any decorations. I disagree Spaceship Earth looks dated, similar to Tomorrowland before the refurbishment.

Honestly, I think Spaceship Earth is the most incredible building in Walt Disney World.

MickeysEars
07-05-2007, 01:37 PM
I have never seen SSE without. Our first trip was in 2000 for our honeymoon. I have seen many pictures and video without the arm and have always felt it added a bit of "Disney" and a little Mickey to the park, that for years was crticized for a lack of both in the park itself. I will miss it.

MMouse6937
07-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Not that it really bothered me all that much, but it will be nice to see SE back to it's old self.

Now, how long till the wand ends up on Ebay??? :D

pshokie
07-05-2007, 01:46 PM

I know I, for one, was here (well, atleast since February :)), as were many many others. Hence the "jeez, not ANOTHER thread about the wand...." comments running around various threads. I have always held the belief that the sphere would not look as good without the wand.

And we will just have to agree to disagree, cause IMO, the sphere does scream 1970's. But again, that is my opinion. That plus $3.50 will get you a cuppa joe at Starbucks. ;)

castlelady36
07-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I guess I am in the pack of the few who LIKE the wand and think the "ball" will be boring without it.....

2Epcot
07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I know purists hate it and always wanted it down, but I have this strange feeling that once it is down, people will start to lament it. People will start recalling the days of the wand and start calling for its re-insertion.

The wand, like the pink castle, was great for a temporary promotion, but it never belonged there as a permenant fixture. The only ones who will ever want it back are those too young, or too new to WDW to know how impressive the structure is by itself. Dressing up the wand with an arm is like put Bedazzling on the Statue of Liberty.

princessimagineer
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
*DISNEY PURIST ALERT*

okay, so the EPCOT "ball" does look 70's. if im not mistaken, that castel a few miles away looks pretty 1600's and thats not hurting anybody.

im not the type to be like: TEAR IT DOWN NOWWW, but it will be nice to have the globe back to its original glory

now the hat in MGM... wayy different story...:ack:

PirateLover
07-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Actually, whenever this topic comes up, there are usually only a select few who want to climb up there and tear it down with their own hands. The rest of the responses were generally in support of the wand, or from people like me who didn't care either way.

Carol
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
This is already reported on the front page with a link to the News forum (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1344939#post1344939). Please continue the discussion there. It's much easier to follow along if replies are in one thread.

Thank you.