PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeve...........

Cozfamilyof6
07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Disney, the CM's and the guests do so many things so well - but one pet peeve I had from our visit last November was the inconsiderate people on the bus from our resort BWV to MK and AK.

The buses were fairly crowded from the Beach and Yacht Club before we borded so I (obviously pregnant and holding a 2 year old) had to stand and hold on for the ride. And it was no easy task.

Do you think ANYONE was kind enough to offer me their seat? NO- of course not. Maybe Disney should have the bus drivers make an annoucement or post a sign that seats should be available to the elderly, pregnant and those carrying small children.

It just irks me because my husband is always so kind to others when riding public transportation.

1974-1992
Too many trips to count (or remember)
Always off sight with the parents

November 2006 BWV
Finally back with hubby and our own 3 children

October 2007 BWV
Taking our 3 children and our new baby for her first Disney experience

MsMin
07-05-2007, 10:25 AM
If my son was on he would have given you his seat. I see it often that ppl are not polite :(
I hate when it's crowded and they have pkgs on the seat on a child they could put on their lap and let others sit. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip!

A Big Kid
07-05-2007, 10:36 AM
I'll give up my seat to the elderly, infirmed, or pregnant. But, just the mere fact that someone standing is a woman, doesnt warrant preferntial treatment from me--unless she is my wife.

Jared
07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I'll relinquish my seat on a bus for pregnant women or anyone carrying babies. After a long day in the parks, to stand and hold another person seems excessive.

I am surprised nobody offered his seat because guests are usually courteous on the buses. You must have had an especially tired crowd that day.

lyle21
07-05-2007, 10:43 AM
i hear you. anyone in my family would have given you a seat.

i used to get really angry at this until i read a post on another disney site. some people will wait it out until they get a bus seat so they feel entitled to sit down. fair enough. and of course some people have hidden ailments, they may appear perfectly able bodied, but may be feeling unwell. i know this in my head, but my knee-jerk reaction is to get ill-tempered.

i will have to be on death's door before i fail to offer my seat to an elderly person or a pregnant woman or a younger child.

now i try to avoid the bus as much as possible. if i stay at the boardwalk i walk to MGM and epcot and i walk through epcot to get to the monorail for the MK. at the GF i monorail to epcot and MK and monorail/walk to MGM. i try to keep my bus stress to a minimum because it is always crowded and i always end up standing w/ stroller and child.

Jeff G
07-05-2007, 10:49 AM
That sounds like an abnormality. We've been to WDW during the pregnancy of three of our kids and every time we've been on a bus while my DW was pregnant someone gave up their seat for her.

JPL
07-05-2007, 10:52 AM
There will always be rude people at WDW unfortunately there is nothing Disney can do about that. I always offer my seat to people who look like they are in need of a seat :thumbsup:

MMouse6937
07-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I am so suprised that someone didn't give you their seat. My Dh and I have done it on numerous occasions. We rent a car now so I don't have the bus issue, but I always give up my seat on the monorail when people come in that are older or have medical issues, etc. Half the time I don't even sit down and just leave the spots for other people. I am sorry that people were rude, unfortunately seems like the trend nowadays. Too bad :confused:

wjrhw
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't even bother sitting down if I know anyone will be standing on the bus. I just stand near DW and DD. I am in good physical condition and have very good balance so I would rather volunteer to stand right away. On our trip last January I stood on all but a few bus trips.

mttafire
07-05-2007, 11:11 AM
If i was on the bus, I woulda gave you my seat for sure. The problem is we NEVER use disney busses. We feel its just easier to use the Honda Odyssey. :blush: You may have flown to Disney though and had to use thier busses. Either way, Someone should have gave you thier seat. Ive never had to give up my seat on the Monorail, If i did i hop up right away.

mttafire
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM
I don't even bother sitting down if I know anyone will be standing on the bus. I just stand near DW and DD. I am in good physical condition and have very good balance so I would rather volunteer to stand right away. On our trip last January I stood on all but a few bus trips. If we ever did use the bus thats exactly what i would do.

ImagiAsh
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
It really bothers me when people don't give up their seats. I know there is the traditional mentality of men giving up their seats for women, kids, and handicapped, but I (a girl) would give up my seat for anyone I think may want to sit down. I actually had a man give up a seat for me once and then I gave it up to an elderly woman a few minutes later. :laughing:

DisneyMomx2
07-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I actually have seen signs on the busses about giving up seats to others and I am happy to say, I normally see that happen. There was one occassion where I had to stand holding my 15 month old, but that was a rare occurence in my experience, although I'm SURE it does happen.

Wrigley
07-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I had the same problem last July. I was 5 months pregnant and I ALWAYS had to stand for our trips on the bus. We stayed at the POP and it seemed like our bus was always full-no matter what time of the day. It really made me angry when people put their packages in a seat instead of holding onto them or putting them on the floor so that someone could have the seat. The whole week we were there, only once did someone offer their seat. I was quite surprised that more people didn't offer.

TheRustyScupper
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
{Flame Retardant Suit in Place}

1) I will always give up my seat
. . . for a pregnant lady
. . . for a handicapped person
. . . for a person of age (I won't say "old")

2) But, I don't do so for folks holding kids.
3) Too many people keep kids in the parks way too long.
4) Kids get tired, but parents push them, 'cause they are at Disney.
5) I think they should go back prior to being so tired or overtired.
6) Or, they have the right to hold their kids on the bus.
7) But, if we are both tired, why should a kid get my seat?

{Flame Retardant Suit Back in the Closest}

mjaclyn
07-05-2007, 12:07 PM
My DH always offers his seat to someone else whenever the buses are crowded. I would also get up for someone elderly or pregnant. I personally think that Disney needs more buses to acommodate the Epcot resorts. Every time we stay at BC, BW or YC it seems like the buses are overcrowded. I think it's ridiculous that one bus services five resorts. They should have one bus per resort - you're paying so much $$ to stay in the deluxe you'd think the transportation would be better.

SBETigg
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, that's a peeve of ours, too. My husband is always right up on his feet to offer his seat to women, people with kids, elderly, or people who just seem worn out. I follow his example and do the same, and our kids (teens) do as well. It just feels so much better to do the right thing. I don't know how so many people can just sit there and feel right about it.

McGoofy
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, you must have just got stuck with a high amount of inconsiderate people. Most of the time I do see folks giving up their seats. My DH is always among the first to stand and give his seat away. When my child was small, I would always hold him in my lap to make sure that we were not taking up an extra seat if we didn't need to. (That's a pet peeve of mine...parents who have empty laps and their small child that would easily fit in their lap is sitting in the seat beside them.) Now that my son is 9, he stands up when daddy does. He thinks it's fun actually. (and it makes me proud to think that he has learned some manners!) I wait before standing up if I have a seat simply because I am only 5 foot tall. If I cannot stand beside a pole that goes from floor to ceiling, I have lots of difficulty reaching the straps that hang from the ceiling, and it becomes a very scary ride for me! However, I will if I see a person who needs a seat. Women who are obviously pregnant should have priority with a seat as I think they are somebody that need a seat. A year ago we went with friends where the wife was almost 7 months pregnant. It was the same situation where she was going to have to stand. Before we took off, the bus driver got on the loudspeaker and asked someone to volunteer a seat for my friend. You had better believe there were all sorts of volunteers then!! Anyhow, it all boils down to how courteous the people you are riding with are or who your bus driver is.

lyle21
07-05-2007, 12:35 PM

now, who would flame the rusty scupper?:mickey:

i hold my kid not because he is tired, but because i think it's unsafe to have a 2 or 3 year old standing on a crowded jerky bus. but of course how safe is it to stand holding a 2 year old w/ a stroller between my legs?? on my next trip, i think i will be one of those who wait for the next bus. i would rather wait than be aggravated.

and yeah, disney needs way more buses.

SurferStitch
07-05-2007, 01:38 PM
DH always stands on the bus, unless there are enough seats and nobody (or should I say, no women at all, or children, or old or ailing gentlmen) is required to stand.

He always gives up his seat for any woman, of any age, kids/pregnant or not. He is very considerate, and chivalry is not dead with him. Most of the time he doesn't even attempt to sit down because he knows the bus will fill up and women will be left standing.

He's just a very courteous gentleman. :cloud9:

I would say that at least half the time (or more) I stand so someone who looks like they need the seat more than I do can sit. I'm young and healthy....Unless I'm in high heels heading out to a fancy dinner, I can handle standing.

Checkers
07-05-2007, 02:11 PM
:mickey:Sorry this happened to you. When we were down in April, most of the time I ended up carrying my 14 mo. granddaughter and there wasn't one time when I wasn't offered a seat. I have in the past (and I guess to some extent I am considered an "older" woman) given up my seat to a pregnant woman, someone carrying a small child, or someone I felt just looked like they needed it. Yes, WDW does need more buses and I have said it before -- with the addition of ME, they have guests captive and have the responsibility to provide efficient travel to the parks and resorts.

dteed
07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Myself and my 2 sons always offer up our seats to anyone standing. DW needsd to sit since suffering an injury in an accident a few years back.

dephenn
07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
I have never seen it that bad. I always see people offer up their seat. Do think maybe you might have shown some sort of attitude that made people affraid to say anything to you. Sometimes if you ask someone politely if they would let your child sit some young adult or teenager will offer their seat after all the longest ride is usually no more than 30 min. Any way I am sorry that happened to you. Hope you have better luck next time.

Tinkerfreak
07-05-2007, 02:37 PM
My DH always offers his seat to someone else whenever the buses are crowded. I would also get up for someone elderly or pregnant. I personally think that Disney needs more buses to acommodate the Epcot resorts. Every time we stay at BC, BW or YC it seems like the buses are overcrowded. I think it's ridiculous that one bus services five resorts. They should have one bus per resort - you're paying so much $$ to stay in the deluxe you'd think the transportation would be better.

I agree with you 100%. That is the reason we won't ever stay at the BC again. We hated having to make all of those stops and we were always the last stop so ended up having to stand. By the time the bus got to our stop the seats were all full. I agree that when you are paying that amount of money for a room there should be better bus service.

mainemajor
07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your experience:( My two sons, my wife and I have always offered our seats, when we have had them, to others. This is common courtacy. It is too bad that basic mannors seem to go out the window at times or are simply not taught anymore. I am so proud of my boys when they open the door for others, give up their seat or in another way help other people :mickey:
I can tell you that if we were on your bus, then you would have been offered a seat, because that is the right thing to do:thumbsup:
Please do not judge others by the reception you received on your last trip. I hope this year's will bring you much joy and happyness

Scar
07-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I don't even bother sitting down if I know anyone will be standing on the bus.I used to do this. Then I realized all I was doing was allowing some inconsiderate person to take the seat and not give it up. Now I sit and wait until all the seats are taken, then I pick out the most worthy person around me, stand up and say loud enough so all the other able bodied people can hear me, "Ma'am, please take my seat."

This usually guilts 1 or 2 more people to give up thier seats.

Lizzie
07-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I always give up my seat. Though this next trip with two kids under the age of two we will probably skip busses that are full to make sure we get a seat.

But I have a question, what if someone who is in good health decides to skip a buss because they don't want to stand and wait for the next bus, so they can sit down. Is it wrong or incosiderate for them to not give up their seat when they passed on a full bus to sit down on their way home?

dolphinmickey9170
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Me and my family would have gladly given you our seat......I think some people just don't think about it, manners aren't taught as well as they used to by some folks. But most WDW guests are usually accomodating. Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you are on the bus with us next time, we'll set you and your babies right down!!

auntfrannie
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Rusty, is there any extra space in your flame retardant suit? I agree with your points. Plus, how does anyone know that those people that didn't give up their seats don't have health issues of their own? Just because someone didn't give up their seats for someone with kids (!) doesn't give anyone the right to judge them because you don't know what personal issues they may have!

snifflesmcg
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
i used to get really angry at this until i read a post on another disney site. some people will wait it out until they get a bus seat so they feel entitled to sit down. fair enough. and of course some people have hidden ailments, they may appear perfectly able bodied, but may be feeling unwell. i know this in my head, but my knee-jerk reaction is to get ill-tempered.

i will have to be on death's door before i fail to offer my seat to an elderly person or a pregnant woman or a younger child.

Ah, that is exactly my problem. I may look completely healthy but I suffer with horrible feet aches and pains. This developed while I was waitressing and I had to give it up. I can now only handle a few hours of standing non-stop. By day 2 of a 7 day trip, they are killing me. Anyway, if it wasn't completely necessary for me to sit on the bus, I'd be more than happy to give it up to someone elderly or a preganant woman but NOT EVER a child. They have more energy than I'll ever have.

mrsgaribaldi
07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
We don't use the bus but I've offered my seat alot on the monorail and other places. One that comes to mind is Ellen's Universe of Energy while everyone is waiting for it to begin. I can't tell you how many times my offer has been refused.:confused:

biodtl
07-06-2007, 07:27 PM
DH and I always give up our seats (even though DH has a not visible handicap that makes it difficult for him to keep his balance). I've taught my son (10) to offer his seat as well. Last October, we had our 2 year old with us and people often offered their seats for her (whihc was great, because she couldn't stand very well on the moving bus. There were a group of teenaged girls at our resort who were so sweet and helpful with her every time we were on the bus with them.

It's funny, people talk about teens being disrespectful, but back when I was pregnant I had more teens (and other women) give me a seat than grown men.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I will give up my seat with no problem to someone that needs it...Especially a small child. My sons are almost 10 and 7 and have no problem standing, they prefer to if they can.

But, we are one of the families that will wait for the next bus if it means my DD 3, has to stand or I have to hold her. It is simply a safety issue for us, it has nothing to do with her bring tired or just wanting to be held. I do not feel she is old enough to hold on correctly and with my knee problems my balance stinks. I can keep myself steady enough, but her and I would be another story.

All that being said, while we do wait for the next bus to make sure we have a seat, I will still give up mine for a person who needs to sit, as will my DH. I will put my DD on my lap and give up one of the seats. But, we make sure that she has a seat or we won't ride that bus. (Please don't think I mean that someone has to give up one for her, I just mean we will wait until we know she has one)

Sorry no one would give up their seat for you!

magicofdisney
07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I personally think that Disney needs more buses to acommodate the Epcot resorts. Every time we stay at BC, BW or YC it seems like the buses are overcrowded. I think it's ridiculous that one bus services five resorts. They should have one bus per resort - you're paying so much $$ to stay in the deluxe you'd think the transportation would be better.
I've never stayed at these resorts, but I'm wondering if Disney doesn't offer more bus service because they have the boats available. Also, aren't these resorts within walking distance of Epcot? I'm just wondering if that's the reasoning.

Mendelson
07-06-2007, 08:03 PM
While I have to say that I would give up my seat for someone who seemed greatly distressed, I have to disagree with most on the pregnancy issue. Getting pregnant is a lifestyle choice, and when one does so one understands all the corresponding inconveniences and I think others have a minimal responsibility to accomodate your associated discomforts. If you then choose to go to WDW, you are clearly expecting a lot from yourself physically, but again, it's your choice to do so.

As far as people holding kids, gotta agree with the Scupper on this one. And if you gave up everything for everyone with a small kid at WDW, you'd never stop.

But then again, I take DC public transportation nearly everyday, so I'm more cynical and jaded than most.

PetefromRI
07-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I always give my seat to any female reguardless of age and to any senior citizen,it was just how I was raised.But anyone that doesn't give a seat to a pregnant woman should be ashamed of themselves.Have we really gotten this cold as a society?

Jodi
07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
While I understand these stories are probably getting repetitive...I have to share mine. It doesn't surprise me at all the people will not give up their seats. They go along with the people who try to sneak on the bus while letting a handicapped person get on. For Shame !! Anyway, I will never forget this man..and older Aussie, who saw me standing on the bus, holding a sleeping 3 yr daughter ( no, I wasn't pregnant at the time). He got up out of his seat, came over and said, "here, Love, you can have my seat." I still remember his face. :blush:

CleveRocks
07-06-2007, 10:36 PM
I don't even bother sitting down if I know anyone will be standing on the bus. I just stand near DW and DD. I am in good physical condition and have very good balance so I would rather volunteer to stand right away. As I don my flame retardant suit, please keep in mind that I could have written the above post. I am a 40 year old male in good health. If I see there is a long line for the bus, I do what is said above, I don't even bother sitting, I just stand myself near my wife and 2 kids and let someone else have the seat that I decided not to fill my butt with. It's just the right thing to do, in my opinion.

So please keep this in mind about me as you read the following ....

I do agree it's rude for someone (who is able) to NOT give up their seat to a pregnant woman holding a toddler. HOWEVER, I also think it's rude of that woman to get on a standing-room only bus and expect that someone should help her. She DOES have the choice of waiting for the next bus. We've done that with our kids before (they were 6 and 4 last trip). Like someone else said, we want our kids seated for safety reasons. As a parent, I refuse to entrust my kids' safety to a bunch of strangers ... I will NOT board a crowded bus expecting others to give up their seats for my kids. What if no one does it? Then all I have done is endangered my own two kids. And if I do get on the bus with them expecting others to move for them, then I'm choosing to inconvenience someone else.

So here is my choice ... get on THIS bus for my convenience and inconvenience two other people so my kids can sit and be safe? OR ... let this bus go without me and inconvenience myself so that we can get seats for the kids on the next bus and inconvenience no one else.

To me, that's the choice -- do I inconvenience myself or someone else???

We did this during our last night of vacation this past November. At MK, the bus line for POFQ was the normal post-Wishes craziness. We were already in line for maybe 45 minutes as maybe 3 or 5 buses had already loaded and gone. The bus was SRO as we stepped to the door. The driver asked how many of us there were, and he nicely told us to get on. I politely refused, stating I wanted our kids to have seats, and I offered the people behind us to board instead, and they happily got on, ever thankful to us as they walked past us. Our kids were beyond exhausted, we were pretty tired ourselves, but I wanted my kids to be safe AND I simply refused to inconvenience other people for the sake of my own convenience.

What makes my blood redder than anyone else's? Why should my convenience trump someone else's convenience. I had a choice, and I made one.

A pregnant woman holding a toddler has a choice, also. Like I said, I don't even bother sitting when I know it'll be a full bus (NOT EVEN WHEN I WAS THE FIRST ADULT ON THE BUS IN THE ABOVE STORY), but I don't like the idea of someone else deciding to inconvenience other people when that person has other options.

The most obvious option is to wait for the next bus, as we've done. Another option is to take a taxi, if time is truly of the essence. Another option is to rent a car so that this problem could never re-occur.

I'm not comfortable forcing someone else to make a choice whether to help me or not. My name is not Blanche DuBois and I refuse to depend on the kindness of strangers. I ALSO refuse to put my kids' safety in the hands of others. If they don't let my kids sit, then my kids will be in a dangerous situation ... a situation that I chose to put them in.

nicole48040
07-06-2007, 11:05 PM
If your children are too small or you, for whatever reason, are physically in need of sitting during transportation then here are some great ideas for you : 1.) Drive yourself around 2.) Wait to come to supercrowded places like DW until you are physically able to handle it. 3.) Taxi 4.) Stay at Monorail resorts.

Common sense tells you that if you can't stand on a bus for a few minutes then you have no business at a theme park where it is basically line after line all day long. The person who is sitting had just as long a day as you did, only they had the bright idea to get to the bus stop early and get a seat. You snooze, you loose:ack:

LoriMistress
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
It may not be curtious to offer a seat to a pregnant woman with kids, but it's not a requirement. There are several people who think (and at times--I can be one of them), after a long day hitting the parks and tracking your own children, waiting for probably about twenty minutes or longer after the park closes to get on the bus. I might not give up the seat. Some people may think--if you can handle being pregnant in the parks and lugging kids around all day--expect to be on your feet all day.

Not starting an argument--just giving a point of view on why people who may NOT want to give up their seat for anyone.

EvilQueen2006
07-07-2007, 02:29 AM
I was once on a bus and saw an elderly women boarding. I immediately gave up my seat, only to have a teenage boy take the seat. :mad: luckily another person gave their seat to this woman.

lyle21
07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
While I have to say that I would give up my seat for someone who seemed greatly distressed, I have to disagree with most on the pregnancy issue. Getting pregnant is a lifestyle choice, and when one does so one understands all the corresponding inconveniences and I think others have a minimal responsibility to accomodate your associated discomforts. If you then choose to go to WDW, you are clearly expecting a lot from yourself physically, but again, it's your choice to do so.

As far as people holding kids, gotta agree with the Scupper on this one. And if you gave up everything for everyone with a small kid at WDW, you'd never stop.

But then again, I take DC public transportation nearly everyday, so I'm more cynical and jaded than most.

a "lifestyle choice" that just so happens to keep the human race going. i'm certainly grateful to flora call disney for making that "lifestyle choice".

not really on topic, but such an odious concept i could not resist.

now going to wdw or on vacation while pregnant, now that is a "lifestyle choice".

MNNHFLTX
07-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Moderator Warning--

A reminder to everyone to stay on-topic and to remain respectful of your fellow members in your reply. Whether you agree or disagree, please state your opinion without resorting to sarcasm or personal attacks.

Mendelson
07-07-2007, 12:05 PM
a "lifestyle choice" that just so happens to keep the human race going. i'm certainly grateful to flora call disney for making that "lifestyle choice".

not really on topic, but such an odious concept i could not resist.

now going to wdw or on vacation while pregnant, now that is a "lifestyle choice".

True! You know, I almost parenthetically put in my post a similar comment, that it is necessary to keep the world populated. Nevertheless, at 6 billion people in the world, not a single one among us should feel a burden to reproduce simply from a population perspective.

DNS
07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
This is common sense behavior and basic good manners. My parents would have pushed me off a seat if I didn't offer.:doh:

Cozfamilyof6
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
While I have to say that I would give up my seat for someone who seemed greatly distressed, I have to disagree with most on the pregnancy issue. Getting pregnant is a lifestyle choice, and when one does so one understands all the corresponding inconveniences and I think others have a minimal responsibility to accomodate your associated discomforts. you.

What ever happened to just being nice to your fellow members of the human race?

Hope you are never in trouble/distressed or uncomfortable and no one offers to help you out.

serstar87
07-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Wow! I am SHOCKED that no one gave you a seat. Whenever I see someone on the subway or a bus who could obviously use a seat I get up immediately. I live in NYC and it seems that whenever someone elderly, pregnant or otherwise gets on at LEAST one person offers their seat if not more. I would think vacationers in WDW would do the same!

nicole48040
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
The simple truth is this: Everyone on this planet is human and everyone has there own issues (both physically and mentally). You may feel like being pregnant and having kids bumps you up on the "in need" totem pole but I'm sorry it just does'nt. Pregnancy is a lifestyle choice (I personally have chosen it twice myself) and even if you want to quibble over that than, at the very least, coming to DW is MOST DEFINATELY a personal choice. You know what your getting into when you decide to do it, so you gotta **** it up and deal with your choice. Now what bothers me is that you stand there looking around the bus and judging others for not giving up their seat to you. You are perfectly healthy when others may actually suffer from physical ailments (bad backs, weak ankles, motion sickness, etc.) that they had no choice in getting. My husband is a big strong looking man, but he has a bad back. So by the end of the day he needs his seat and if he waited long enough to get one then it's his and tough luck. Some woman guilting him out of his seat because she is pregnant and didn't have the good sense to wait for the next bus......that ticks me off.:mad:

auntfrannie
07-07-2007, 03:33 PM
The simple truth is this: Everyone on this planet is human and everyone has there own issues (both physically and mentally). You may feel like being pregnant and having kids bumps you up on the "in need" totem pole but I'm sorry it just does'nt. Pregnancy is a lifestyle choice (I personally have chosen it twice myself) and even if you want to quibble over that than, at the very least, coming to DW is MOST DEFINATELY a personal choice. You know what your getting into when you decide to do it, so you gotta **** it up and deal with your choice. Now what bothers me is that you stand there looking around the bus and judging others for not giving up their seat to you. You are perfectly healthy when others may actually suffer from physical ailments (bad backs, weak ankles, motion sickness, etc.) that they had no choice in getting. My husband is a big strong looking man, but he has a bad back. So by the end of the day he needs his seat and if he waited long enough to get one then it's his and tough luck. Some woman guilting him out of his seat because she is pregnant and didn't have the good sense to wait for the next bus......that ticks me off.:mad:

:thumbsup:

I have many times offered my seat to someone that looked like they needed it more than I did, but for someone to think that the bus driver should make an announcement to give up a seat to someone pregnant or with kids just makes me mad. The whole concept of entitlement just bothers me.

LibertyTreeGal
07-07-2007, 03:40 PM
I do agree it's rude for someone (who is able) to NOT give up their seat to a pregnant woman holding a toddler. HOWEVER, I also think it's rude of that woman to get on a standing-room only bus and expect that someone should help her. She DOES have the choice of waiting for the next bus.

totally snipped up but, I absolutely agree. If the bus is too crowded for us, then we wait, and yes my son is handicapped. I would not dream, not in a million years, of getting onto a crowded bus and asking, or even expecting, anyone to get up for us. Courtesy goes both ways, and we can't expect men to behave like gentlemen if we aren't prepared to behave like ladies. I don't expect special treatment, nor do I demand it, and I also don't push myself and my kids so hard that we are left in need of it.

We have taught our son not to expect or demand special treatment, and as a result he is a self-sufficient cheerful little guy. Raising him with an entitlement complex now will just handicap him further.

And frankly, as someone who has been pregnant eight times with no bio kids to show for it, I get really tired of pregnant women complaining and expecting preferential treatment. Feel blessed, you have no idea how blessed you are.

mttafire
07-07-2007, 04:04 PM
totally snipped up but, I absolutely agree. If the bus is too crowded for us, then we wait, and yes my son is handicapped. I would not dream, not in a million years, of getting onto a crowded bus and asking, or even expecting, anyone to get up for us. Courtesy goes both ways, and we can't expect men to behave like gentlemen if we aren't prepared to behave like ladies. I don't expect special treatment, nor do I demand it, and I also don't push myself and my kids so hard that we are left in need of it.

We have taught our son not to expect or demand special treatment, and as a result he is a self-sufficient cheerful little guy. Raising him with an entitlement complex now will just handicap him further.

And frankly, as someone who has been pregnant eight times with no bio kids to show for it, I get really tired of pregnant women complaining and expecting preferential treatment. Feel blessed, you have no idea how blessed you are.

I talked to my wife about this issue..She agrees, NO special treatment. She made the choice to be pregnant and she expects or wants nothing in way of "special treatment". Unfortunately in todays society there are alot of "victims and needs people".Like i said in an earlier post..If we did ride the bus...Id stand and let "whoever" wants to sit sit. ESPECIALLY the elderly. As for the above post...KUDOS to you. Best of luck with your family LibertyTreeGal!

LibertyTreeGal
07-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I talked to my wife about this issue..She agrees, NO special treatment. She made the choice to be pregnant and she expects or wants nothing in way of "special treatment". Unfortunately in todays society there are alot of "victims and needs people".Like i said in an earlier post..If we did ride the bus...Id stand and let "whoever" wants to sit sit. ESPECIALLY the elderly. As for the above post...KUDOS to you. Best of luck with your family LibertyTreeGal!

Thanks! And just for the record, I always offer up my seat for anyone I feel might need it -- as long as I can be near my special needs son who has this ...ummm... tendency to fall out of his seat (I think he does it on purpose, he's a rascal and finds such things terribly amusing). My boys have also been trained to open doors for anyone who needs it too, male or female. They are so cute -- now if I could just get them to stop dropping their gum on the floor! :mad:

BTW, that rascal is the one in the front to the right in my avatar.

mttafire
07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks! And just for the record, I always offer up my seat for anyone I feel might need it -- as long as I can be near my special needs son who has this ...ummm... tendency to fall out of his seat (I think he does it on purpose, he's a rascal and finds such things terribly amusing). My boys have also been trained to open doors for anyone who needs it too, male or female. They are so cute -- now if I could just get them to stop dropping their gum on the floor! :mad:

BTW, that rascal is the one in the front to the right in my avatar.
:thumbsup:

DisneyJunkie
07-07-2007, 05:10 PM
The problem here is the EXPECTATION people have. While politely giving up one's seat for another is a nice and appreciated gesture, it seems people tend to place their expectation of it above the other person's right to choose whether they're going to make that gesture or not. For me, after a long day of park hopping and doing a lot of walking, my feet are sore and I'm exhausted and I'm going to sit down on that bus as soon as I can. If I happen to see an elderly person struggling or a pregnant woman trying to make due holding one child and maybe some souvenier bags, I may decide to give up my seat. But DO NOT expect that I HAVE to do so, because it is also my right to decide I just need to sit there and won't be able to take much more being on my feet.

EmcDuckRN
07-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Disney, the CM's and the guests do so many things so well - but one pet peeve I had from our visit last November was the inconsiderate people on the bus from our resort BWV to MK and AK.

The buses were fairly crowded from the Beach and Yacht Club before we borded so I (obviously pregnant and holding a 2 year old) had to stand and hold on for the ride. And it was no easy task.

Do you think ANYONE was kind enough to offer me their seat? NO- of course not. Maybe Disney should have the bus drivers make an annoucement or post a sign that seats should be available to the elderly, pregnant and those carrying small children.

It just irks me because my husband is always so kind to others when riding public transportation.

1974-1992
Too many trips to count (or remember)
Always off sight with the parents

November 2006 BWV
Finally back with hubby and our own 3 children

October 2007 BWV
Taking our 3 children and our new baby for her first Disney experience

I can and have given up my seat, unless the person was pushy in line at which point, I don't feel like I owe it to them. However, I have also been known to give my seat to another daddy who's is carrying a sleeping little one.

People sometimes forget that dads aren't having the easiest time carrying a sleeping child AND standing as the bus whips this way and that. Remember daddies too! :mickey:

EmcDuckRN
07-07-2007, 05:36 PM
The problem here is the EXPECTATION people have. While politely giving up one's seat for another is a nice and appreciated gesture, it seems people tend to place their expectation of it above the other person's right to choose whether they're going to make that gesture or not. For me, after a long day of park hopping and doing a lot of walking, my feet are sore and I'm exhausted and I'm going to sit down on that bus as soon as I can. If I happen to see an elderly person struggling or a pregnant woman trying to make due holding one child and maybe some souvenier bags, I may decide to give up my seat. But DO NOT expect that I HAVE to do so, because it is also my right to decide I just need to sit there and won't be able to take much more being on my feet.

:ditto:

:mickey: there are times when I have been dragged about by the family so much that now that I've waited past the last 4 buses for a spot, I'm not giving up the seat.

biodtl
07-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Getting pregnant is a lifestyle choice, and when one does so one understands all the corresponding inconveniences and I think others have a minimal responsibility to accomodate your associated discomforts.
I agree that it IS a choice and when I was pregnant, I never expected anyone to give up their seat, but I certainly appreciated it. And for me, the issue isn't really discomfort, but safety. When you are pregnant, your center of gravity is off and it's very easy to fall - especially on a moving bus. I would hate to see a pregnant woman fall and injure herself, her child, or an innocent bystander.

The same thing goes for a small child who can't stand well, which is why I always give my seat to pregnant women, young children and the handicapped or elderly.

EmcDuckRN
07-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree that it IS a choice and when I was pregnant, I never expected anyone to give up their seat, but I certainly appreciated it. And for me, the issue isn't really discomfort, but safety. When you are pregnant, your center of gravity is off and it's very easy to fall - especially on a moving bus. I would hate to see a pregnant woman fall and injure herself, her child, or an innocent bystander.

The same thing goes for a small child who can't stand well, which is why I always give my seat to pregnant women, young children and the handicapped or elderly.

You know, a thought occurs. (uh oh, gonna hurt myself doing that!)

(a) A lot of people do plan these things out months ahead I daresay more than 9 months... heck you can begin to make your food rezzies 6 months out! (b) Pregnancies aren't always planned.

But the new mom isn't going to want to cancel everyone else's plans. but with all the balance problems, fluid problems, and the probable back discomfort she's having from walking around on those hard surfaces all day, I will offer, almost every time. (provided that her hubby is standing, otherwise I'll shame him into it!) :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
07-07-2007, 10:18 PM
One additional warning to keep things on topic--

For those who something additional to add related to the original post, that's fine. For those who have already stated their case, let's move along.

WDWdreamer87
07-09-2007, 02:01 AM
I agree with Disney Junkie. I'm a 19 year old female, capable and willing to stand on the bus when needed. I do so when there are no seats available.
I was just in Disney when a family with two young boys and a stroller got on. The mother was holding one boy while the other sat down, and the father was standing with the stroller. He turned and looked straight at me and said "Can you please stand so that the woman with the baby can sit?"
I was first shocked that he just approached me like that, because obviously, she could have just sat and had the two small children on her lap. I agreed of course, but a gentlemen gave up his seat and stood with his young daughter.
Obviously the seat was empty, but for some reason she refused to sit, so there was an empty seat the entire ride. Why go through all the trouble to ask and get people uncomfortable, then refuse the seat?
And why couldn't he say "my wife" instead of "woman with child?" Obviously I could see she had a child, did he think that would pang my heartstrings and make me get up? I think it was just rude in general to not take the seat if you asked for it.