PDA

View Full Version : Holy smoke! That a fortune!

mouseketeer mom
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Just checked on an Easter cruise for 2008. For the 5 of us, for a 7 nite Eastern cruise is over $13,000! Yowsa! We have done the 4 nite in the past and were ready for the 7 nite cruise. I don't think I can justify that $$$$$$$! Anybody have any thoughts? Is a 7 nite cruise worth that money???

Lorraine444
07-04-2007, 08:00 PM
That does sound too expensive!
I went on a 5day/4night cruise on the Disney Wonder party of 4, but I had won it from a grand prize on a radio station....
The 2 other cruises I went on were about $1,100 per person. What you want to do is a quad room. The 1st 2 people pay full, and the s3 & 4th pay a lesser amt. Then you just divide it. Don't know if Disney does this, that was Royal Carribean.
Good luck & keep pricing!
They sure are beautiful though!
I personally wouldn't spend that kinda money....

mook3y
07-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Disney cruises are definately a little pricey. Personally, we have no desire to take a cruise that is under 7 days. We just don't think it would be long enough.

However, when pricing Disney cruises, other lines win out. On competitors ships, we can get a suite with a balcony for the price of the smaller rooms on Disney.

I am sure the special Disney touch is great. But so far, we go to a Disney park for a Disney fix and we choose other lines to take a cruise.

TammiMcMan
07-04-2007, 09:11 PM
The first big issue is that you're sailing during Easter week. Anytime that involves a holiday or school vacation is going to be priced at the very high end. Your $13,000 cruise taken earlier in March drops down to $8,500. You are also probably looking at all 5 of you in a category 4 deluxe room. If you went with two lower level connecting staterooms (category 11), you could get the cost down to about $8700 for Easter week.

As previously mentioned, Disney is one of the more expensive cruise lines. You're paying for the Disney experience though.

mouseketeer mom
07-05-2007, 08:02 AM
The first big issue is that you're sailing during Easter week. Anytime that involves a holiday or school vacation is going to be priced at the very high end. Your $13,000 cruise taken earlier in March drops down to $8,500. You are also probably looking at all 5 of you in a category 4 deluxe room. If you went with two lower level connecting staterooms (category 11), you could get the cost down to about $8700 for Easter week.

As previously mentioned, Disney is one of the more expensive cruise lines. You're paying for the Disney experience though.

Tammi
Thats a big drop in price! Is cat. 11 without a porthole even? I know it might sound spoiled, but I might feel uncomfortable in a room "under the water" and without a window, at the very least. Any other way to cut cost? Like a cat. 8 or 9 , with 2 connecting rooms?

TammiMcMan
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Yes, category 11's are inside staterooms. They are not anywhere near water level though. The locations are actually pretty excellent, deck 5, 6 and 7. The category 8's are on the same decks, but with a porthole. Ballpark pricing for Easter week, two connecting category 8's is closer to $11,000. It's a little savings off the family stateroom. The reason you don't see a more drastic savings, is that when you're pricing out rooms, regardless of age, the first 2 guests are counted as adults. So, by splitting your family of 5, you are paying adult fare for 3 people.

The most significant way to cut cost is to sail during the value season. Aside from that, you really need to do your research on line. You can find some discounts through Costco and some agents offer stateroom credits to book through them.

NewmanFamily6
07-07-2007, 09:32 AM
We are a family of 6 and if it were not for DVC we would not be cruising w/ Disney in January. I know a lot of people do not want to use their points for the cruise but it was the only way for us to go. It is more about the memories for us than how many points it was:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I think we might have to take another 4 nite cruise instead. My DH is stuck on the being away for Easter plan, and I cannot justify $13,000. What if my kids got sick? What if anything? Way too much $$$$$$$$$$$.

snifflesmcg
07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
No Way!!! I wouldn't even give this a second thought. Just think, you also (probably) have to pay for air fare. You didn't say if you had a balcony room or inside, this could make a BIG difference. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $1000 per person.