PDA

View Full Version : Burnt fingers

browneyedgirl12
07-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know a good remedy for burnt fingers. I burnt mine this afternoon taking things out of the oven :( and they still hurt i've had ice on them ever since and they aren't any better. Thanks in advance

princessimagineer
07-04-2007, 07:09 PM
this interests me too because i burn my fingers ALOT. i have curly hair so i straighten my hair a couple times a month (i straighten my bangs every day) so ive burned almost everything. ive gotten to the point where if i burn my hand, i get over it pretty fast.

your burn seems a little worse though since youve been icing it all day.

browneyedgirl12
07-04-2007, 07:15 PM
It is pretty bad and my fingers are looking like rasins :(:(:(:(:(

PirateLover
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Running cold water over a burn right after it happens is one of the best things to do.Ice wasn't a smart move because it can decrease blood flow to the area and actually make the burn worse. At this point if they are still bothering you, you probably should contact a doctor who can prescribe an ointment. DO NOT use "home remedies" such as butter or oil. If they begin to blister, go to the ER.

princessimagineer
07-04-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah but is the raisony-ness from the ice melting and doing that water-turning-your-fingers-to-prunes thing? or is that from the burn?

PirateLover
07-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Forgot to add that you should stop icing them and cover them up with with gauze or a tshirt for the rest of the night until you can contact a doctor. As I mentioned before, if they start to blister get to the ER.

mook3y
07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
first thing if it is not blistered would be to run it under cool water (this is best immediately after the burn) If there are blisters, you have to be very careful of infection and should consult a physician soon.

For burns that have not blistered, Solarcaine works great both as disinfectant and pain relief.

Hope this helps!

crazypoohbear
07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Blistered call the Doctor!
Not blistered go to your local pharmacy and purchase some burn cream. and Tylenol/motrin for the pain.
Don't ice, butter, grease, etc. It's not good.
Keep it loosely covered with gauze and burn cream.
BLISTERING needs Medical attention!

DisneyDudet
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
I second the cool water, and no ice. Nothing but water should be used for the first couple of hours.

Like said above, if it starts to blister or ooze, go to the ER or walk in clinic (since its your fingers, this might be easier to get seen).

I would stop by a drug store and get some topical ointment for burns. Ask the pharmacist regarding their stock (not all places have the same thing). I would take some ibuprofen because it reduces inflammation, as well as reduces pain.

Cover with a non-stick gauze, and remove a few times a day for oxygen and to assess the burn.

Hope you begin to feel better. Burns are some of the worst pain!!!

TheMartellFamily
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Yep that is what I was going to say. Ice can cause more damage to the sensitive area right now just cool water. What everyone has said is the right thing to do.

Piglet822
07-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I use Aloe on most of the burns we get and it seems to help. I have an Aloe plant right outside my front door that I planted.
I haven't burned my fingers to a blister though. I agree, at that point you need to seek medical attention.

ElenitaB
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
On minor burns (such as the straightening iron, an iron or the oven racks), I use tea tree oil and it usually works extremely quickly. I'm lucky that I've never burnt myself badly enough to have it blister though!

gueli
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Go to your local DR.
Get a prescription for (this is the generic name) 1% Silver Sulfadiazine Cream.
Keep it in your cabinet for such burns in the future.
This stuff works great, reduces healing time, reduces the pain etc.
Remember for severe burns, consult your Doctor / Emergency room.
We recommended it to a friend of ours (our Dr had originally prescribed it for our DD(when she was a toddler)) and he swears by it now.
Good luck
:mickey: