PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout project - Letters to Armed Forces

mamacon67
07-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I am hoping that someone here can help me out. My Junior Girl Scout Troop is working on their "United We Stand" badge:flag:. One of the criteria for earning this badge is to write letters to people within the Armed Forces:flag:. From what I understand, it is no longer acceptable to send letters addressed to "Any Serviceman":flag: due to security reasons. This is competely understandable given the climate that we live in. I know that there are a lot of people on Intercot that have connections to enlisted men and women:flag:. If you feel comfortable giving me contact information so that my girls can send them some letters, I would appreciate a PM. Thanks in advance.

ibrowse17
07-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Try this...

http://www.forgottensoldiers.org/write-soldier.shtml

mamacon67
07-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the link. This might be an option. I looked at the sight briefly, but couldn't find if there was a cost associated with this. The girls were kind of hoping to hand write letters. With this option, they would have to do the writing, but I guess I could do all of the input. Some of my parents aren't real good about follow through with some of our activities.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions, or personal contact info of enlisted people? My GS would really like to show them their support.

offero
07-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Have you tried calling the local reserve station? I work for a Girl Scout office and in the past when we have donated cookies to the soliders, we have had to call them and team up with them to make sure some of the local soliders get cookies from home. They might have someone there who can assist you. I don't think they will give you names but it might be worth a try.

Lucille
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
I was really disappointed to hear that they ended the "any serviceman" letters.

In 1990, as a Girl Scout, I sent one and received a response. To this day we still exchange Christmas cards!!