PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Anaheim to SF

Fairydust
07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me when is the best time of day to leave?
I know there is going to be lots of traffic anytime of day ~ but is there a time we want to avoid?
It will be a Wed. we are leaving.

Thank you.

drevlo
07-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Without knowing the specifics of your trip, I will offer you a few different times (with an explanation as to why).

I'm going to assume that you'll be taking I-5 down from the city (at least I hope that you are). The scenery is bland on I-5, but you'll cut up to two hours off your drive time.

In a perfect world, I like to leave around 4am. Not only is traffic a non-issue at this hour, you will be hitting downtown LA prior to the lunch time traffic crunch. Now granted, traffic through LA is never "great", but it will be much better than if you passed through during lunchtime.
If that is too early for you (and I don't blame you if it is!) then I would head out around 6-7am. Traffic through the east bay may be a bit heavier at this time, but more importantly, you'll be in LA prior to rush hour.

If you're not planning on going to the parks or anything that first day, then you could even wait until the early afternoon to leave...this would ensure that you miss both the bay area traffic, AND the LA traffic.

It's a bit long winded, but those are my guidelines when we head down each year (from Santa Rosa).
Of course, I have been accused of "over thinking" things....:mickey:

Good luck!

tinkwest
07-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your input drevlo, but the original question was "from Anaheim to SF". Your plan may still work though, the other way around.

Although drevlo's 4:00am leave time may sound ridiculous, it is actually not a bad idea. Getting through the Los Angeles area can be like riding on the back of a snail during a good deal of the daylight hours. Another suggestion, leave after 9:00 pm. But make sure you have had plenty of sleep prior to the drive. Don't leave in the evening after a full day.

drevlo
07-10-2007, 04:00 AM
:oops:
Oh my!
My bad.....
Sorry about that...:blush:

SebastiansDisneyMama
07-10-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm from the East Bay (orginaly), but here are my 2 cents...

Done this trip a million times. Leaving DL. If you are doing morning 6am or earlier is a good idea.

If you are in no rush to get home I would wait until around 10 am ish. Things seem to die down some what around that time.

If after lunch is your thing 1:30 isn't bad and any time after 7:30 pm is good for a night time escape.

Hope this helps.

ps I've never been stuck in more than 2 hours of just sitting traffic! And that was usually do to an acident.

Fairydust
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks everyone for you're helpful hints.:thumbsup:

When we leave Anaheim we will be on the first day of our 3 day journey home. We are going to spend a couple of days in San Francisco efore heading on. We are in no huge rush that first day but would like to get in to SF probably by supper time.:)