PDA

View Full Version : Another crocs question....

DisneyLove06
07-03-2007, 04:28 PM
I am thinking about getting crocs...even though I used to think they were ugly. But reading about them on Disney boards have made me change my mind now....
Anyways...I was researching them online (lol) and I found this site about how dangerous crocs are! =O And how some kids skin on his toes ripped off when his shoe got stuck in an escalator! And there were some nasty pictures! I havent tried on a pair yet but do you guys think I would be...safe...in crocs??

BronxTigger
07-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Any shoe can get caught in an escalator.

Many people wear crocs without problems. I don't own a pair, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair for any reason other than the way they look.

DisneyLove06
07-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Okay, thank you. I guess I was thinking too much about it then..:blush:

iheartmickey
07-03-2007, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. They are fantastic shoes! I love mine and wear them everyday.

I climb ladders at work (not figurative but literal ladders ... LOL!) and I have no problem keeping them on. My co-worker is scared and will not wear them up and down the ladders. You can always put the strap down to protect you from flying out of them... if that's what makes you nervous.

They are very comfortable. I have only ever heard one person say they didn't like them and that was on here.

Jasper
07-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Ditto on the idea that ANY shoe can get caught in an escalator.

The only thing I have noticed that seems to be universal with Crocs is that they tend to be slippery when wet. However, this doesn't happen on all surfaces. Where I have had problem with them slipping is when I stepped on painted surfaces on parking lots when they were wet. I also found them to be slippery on my wet garage floor. However, I also want to say that the people who originally built the house I live in had an unusually smooth surface put onto the garage floor. (it is suppose to keep oil and such from soaking into the concrete."

However, I wouldn't say this slippery issue is anything that would keep me from buying or wearing my crocs. I love them for the comfort but hate them for their looks!!

missouridisney
07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
I love mine, in fact have them on at work now and plan to wear them to DC/New York trip next week, since I wore them at Disney and they were the best. BUT, the only problem I have found is nearly falling several times, you are walking and they tend to stop and you keep going, in fact my daughter is also a nurse and her hospital banned them for nurses because 3 had fallen, I know one did at our hospital, for that reason I won't let my 75yo mother wear them because she isn't the most stable as it is.

Sunshine1010
07-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Yes, Crocs are great (I have a pair), ...I also have a generic pair from WalMart and they are actually more comfortable.

But, these shoes are not made to run in. A lot of kids just don't understand this.

I work in the EMS field,...and LOTS of kids have tripped over their own feet and I've seen lots of broken bones. The shoes are kinda bulky.

Ask any school nurse......I'm sure she'll agree.

But please understand....they ARE nice shoes...just not made to run in for children.

This is my opinion.....

Darbylew
07-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I don't own a pair but I know a lot of people
have them and love them. I always wear tennis
shoes to WDW. I feel more at ease in them and
can walk forever. :thumbsup:

Becky'sMom
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
lol, we bought 3 pair (DH, DD and me) after I read all the raves here the other day.
Yesterday my 4 year old took a header in the parking lot! I always hold her hand, but I was a step ahead and just couldn't straighten her up in time. Her hands hit first, then her face - I was sure she would get a big black and blue goose egg on her face - just in time for our trip to Disney. I got ice from the food court and held it on her face for 10 minutes - followed that up with aloe and then gave her arnica (homeopathic remedy). This morning she just had a little reddness and now it seems to be gone completely!
I think the bulkiness of the crocs contributed to her fall - but my daughter also happens to be on the clumsy side. I would, though, caution children against running in them. Becky still loves her new shoes and I have no intention of stopping her from wearing them - hopefully she'll just become a little better coordinated!
Lauren

snifflesmcg
07-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I have a pair and in fact, I am wearing them as I type. I love them. So comfy (and I have a ton of problems with my feet). I wore them to the Jersey shore last week and they were great for the sand. I hosed them off and put them right back on for the boardwalk. Since they are much lighter than sneakers, it's easier to walk up and down stairs as well. Ugly.....YES! But that's my ONLY problem with them.

Becky'sMom
07-03-2007, 06:40 PM
"saw a patient last week that I had operated on 2 months ago (I'm a podiatrist) who claimed that Crocs were the only thing she could get her feet into. Needless to say, they messed up her feet."
Could you elabprate on how her feet were messed up by crocs? I'm sure you know what you're talking about, being a podiatrist - but I have a hard time making an informed decision based on "messed up"
Thanks,
Lauren

Becky'sMom
07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you Donald. So, as a layman - I guess that without a supportive arch, the weight of her body applied excessive pressure to the surgery site causing swelling -
But, as a professional, do you think that crocs present a problem for people with "healthy feet"? I ask because I just bought mine (so - no damage done yet) and am also somewhat comfortable in my Teva sandals (of course, they also don't have a stiff arch).
Thanks for the free professional advice!
Lauren

Sunshine1010
07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I'll pipe in again and make a second comment:

When I bought my Crocs at an outdoor shop on Monteagle Mtn, TN....the owner told me that a local doctor just 50 pair for his patients to try because he 'swears by 'em'.

But again...Kids - don't run. Parents - don't run. You'll trip....and you could put an eye out like the Red Rider BB Gun.

disneygirlie11
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
does anyone have the maryjane style? I saw them in the store and I think they are much more attractive. My only concern is the strap that is top. Does that start to rub if you wear them for a long time?

snifflesmcg
07-03-2007, 07:35 PM
"saw a patient last week that I had operated on 2 months ago (I'm a podiatrist) who claimed that Crocs were the only thing she could get her feet into. Needless to say, they messed up her feet."
Could you elabprate on how her feet were messed up by crocs? I'm sure you know what you're talking about, being a podiatrist - but I have a hard time making an informed decision based on "messed up"
Thanks,
Lauren

Thank you Donald. So, as a layman - I guess that without a supportive arch, the weight of her body applied excessive pressure to the surgery site causing swelling -
But, as a professional, do you think that crocs present a problem for people with "healthy feet"? I ask because I just bought mine (so - no damage done yet) and am also somewhat comfortable in my Teva sandals (of course, they also don't have a stiff arch).
Thanks for the free professional advice!
Lauren

Did I miss something? :confused: Who's feet got messed up?

Becky'sMom
07-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I bought my MaryJane style at Dick's Sporting Goods.
I don't know abou the top starp over time...I've only had them a couple of days...but I am taking them to Disney...along with some options - just in case.
Lauren

#1disneyfan
07-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Did I miss something? Who's feet got messed up?
Snifflesmcg -- I think that the Dr removed his posts.

My personal opinion, is to wear what is comfortable to you. You will only know if Crocs are comfortable to you once you wear them for a bit. I wear Crocs all the time at work, but never for great distances. I am taking mine to WDW and also my sneaks. We will see what is better for me after a day in both.

kadesha
07-03-2007, 10:38 PM
they were ugly to me too, but I kept getting so tempted everytime I'd walk by a booth selling them at the parks! (they are everywhere!) I eventually broke down and bought some, and I'm glad I did, they are really comfy!

DisneyLove06
07-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies..lol. Are they that slippery when wet? Because I trusted my Nike Shox, but last week in AK, I stepped on a rock to get over it (a little lumpy rock) and i fell head first, but landed on my knees. No one would let me live it down..:blush: Do you think crocs would be more troublesome?

MouseManiac
07-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Love 'em, love 'em, LOVE 'EM!!:thumbsup: ... and no, they are not all ugly... I have the Patra style, and they are actually quite cute... and amazingly comfortable and cool!

All three of my little cherubs are sporting various Jibbits ridden colors of their Cayman (ugly, but cute on kids)style. DD5 also has an adorable pair of the Mary Jane's (which she loves and seems a little more secure on her feet) and DS5 also has a pair of the Scutes. No rubs, blisters or broken bones!

That being said, if you are barefoot, and the INSIDE of the shoe gets wet, yes your foot will slip around inside. I have never had a problem with them being any more slippery on a wet surface than any other shoe.

As other posters have mentioned, these are not running shoes. Could I run to catch a wayward toddler? Sure... Have my kids run in them? You betcha... Have they fallen down? Yup... Would they have tripped in any other shoe? probably.

So I guess the point is this... Buy em'... Wear 'em... but bring a back up just in case. That's what I'm gonna do! Last year my feet were hot, sweaty , swollen, and sore after a day in the parks, and that was in cushie sneakers! This year I'm hoping for comfie, cool , non-sore piggies! Wish me luck!:mickey:

Tynkerbelle
07-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I love my Crocs. I'd have been interested to see the doctor's posts, I'm curious about how the Crocs messed up his patient's feet. I just had foot surgery last week and have been thinking about how I can't wait to wear shoes (especially my Crocs, which I've been wearing on my one good foot) again - though I'm guessing flip flops are out of the question for a while!

Squeaky Mouse
07-04-2007, 01:13 PM
If you do a web search, you will find tons and tons of information on how Crocs are good for your feet and knees.

Dfil is diabetic and wears the ones designed for such. He says they are far, far more comfortable than the VERY expensive prescription sandals he has worn in the past.

The rest of the family loves their Crocs, too!

happycamper83
07-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I love my crocs too.. just wish they came in more sizes!! I have smalls and they are just slightly too tight on my right foot (which is 1/2 size bigger than my left foot) and the mediums were WAY too big.

That being said, as much as I love them, I prefered my strap on Tevas for going around the parks.

mrsgaribaldi
07-05-2007, 04:43 AM
They love them where I work and everyone wears them. They say it feels like they are walking barefoot. When I walk barefoot my foot hurts and I limp so I did not like the Crocs. I sold the pair I bought for myself:mickey:

MinnieMommie
07-05-2007, 06:48 AM
I have 2 pairs of Crocs. One is the original and the other is a Disney pair. Both fit slightly differently and neither are a good fit for my foot but my foot is a bit difficult to fit (each a different size, high instep and arch and a bit wide). I can not wear them for long intervals comfortably but keep them by my back door and wear them in and out of the yard and for some types of garden work. I do tend to trip when wearing them and have chosen not to wear them at Disney. Also, I need to wear a sock or ped with them as the material is uncomfortable on my bare foot. That being said they are a most common shoe at Disney for adults and kids and where I work some of the people who are on their feet all day swear by them. Some wear the Crocs brand and some wear the look-alikes. It all depends on the person and your foot. :mickey:

briguy
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Full disclosure- I am a crocs (sym is CROX) stockholder...

I would caution against purchasing the imitations. Crocs was started by physicists who created a patented material designed for comfort and durability. The imitations are mostly plastic.

Everytime I see more Crocs showing up I just $mile...

End of commercial;-)

Sunshine1010
07-05-2007, 11:35 AM
It's funny that you mentioned owning stock with them. My husband approached me 2 days ago about adding to our investments by buying some stock with them....he he.

divinedi
07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I love my crocs too, but find I can't wear them for extended periods of time. I wear them at home, at work as I sit most of the day, and short trips, but wouldn't be able to wear them all day at Disney. There I use my running shoes, and wear my crocs to go to the pool, food court etc. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I do find that they stretch after awhile, does anyone else have this problem? They start out nice and fitting well, but after awhile they seem to get bigger. Is there a way to shrink them again, I know some have suggested the dryer, but I REALLY don't want to take a chance on ruining my dryer, any other suggestions that people have tried and work? Thanks

Djscherr
07-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't think they'd be more dangerous than any other type of shoe. Some hikers hike the Appalachian Trail (Maine to Georgia) in crocs (as well as all sorts of other shoes). I'd say if there are quite a few people walking 2,000+ miles in the things that Disneyworld should be safe :) . Personally they aren't my cup of tea, they just didn't seem comfortable on my feet, but then again I usually wear Nike Frees out walking and hiking and they are even more light weight than crocs (although they have no support, they are supposed to be like walking bare foot).

Sunshine1010
07-05-2007, 05:29 PM
About the cleaning --- don't laugh....but I put mine in the dishwasher. (I have a white pair)...they always come out spotless...AND just a little tighter than usual. After 1 day of wearing them....they go back out a little...but they FEEL better and they LOOK better.

DisneyLove06
07-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I told my parents I wanted them, and they laughed at me! They dont understand that they are comfortable I guess...so Id have to save up money if I wanted any..which I dont have right now...:shrug:

And my sister was like..."Ew! I definitely wont be seen with you..especially if they have Mickey Mouse on them!"

Ugh..