PDA

View Full Version : Help! Blue Screen of Death

Tink-N-Me
07-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Currently posting from my laptop, but my family's desktop computer (a.k.a. primary work computer) just got the blue screen of death. I know there is a way around this, but alas I don't know they way. Any advice?:confused:

pshokie
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, buy a Mac.

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Sorry 'bout that. I am not a windows person. I am sure one will be along shortly.

I just couldn't resist. :D

Tink-N-Me
07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You got me on that one. You are just lucky I have a sense of humor.:thedolls:

DizneyRox
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Usually a reboot gets past the BSoD. If it happens again, then whatever the last thing you did is probably the cause.

Did you install any software/drivers recently?
Do you run Antivirus and Anti Malware software?

Sorry, but I haven't had a BSoD is a very very long time. Been running XP for years, but I maintain my PC regularly. Malware scans at least once a week, anti virus running, and I'm behind a firewall...

Tink-N-Me
07-05-2007, 10:47 AM
That hint of whatever you did last is helpful. Now if I could just get that information out of my 14 year old....I might be able to make progress.

Thanks.

conorsmom2000
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I had the BSoD last week, though to be honest, I can't remember what caused it. I rebooted and it came up fine, but I did a system restore to the day before just to be on the safe side. Good luck! :mickey:

MsMin
07-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I am not the geek here but I know that sometimes rebooting can make it worse if it's failing. My kids take out the Hard Drive and install it on a faster better computer (usually at work) and retrieve the info off the failing HD. I'm speaking out of my league. That's my interpretation of what they say they are doing; but I know my son always tells me to let him know immediately and don't keep rebooting b/c a damaged sector can grow larger and make it more difficult to retrieve the lost data.
Good luck w/ it... know any geeks?

DizneyRox
07-05-2007, 06:18 PM
You might as well bang your head against a wall instead of asking what a 14 year old did to the computer. The answer will most certainly be, "Nothing!".

Most of BSoD problems I've fixed have been spyware. They attach themselves to the load sequence, or make themselves as "add-on" to explorer. What that does is make them active at bootup, which is a bad thing. Doing a spyware sweep using Spybot Search and Destroy AND Lavasoft's Adaware (note the AND), should remove most of those.

If a sector is going bad on the drive, which is entirely possible, then you've got bigger problems and probably need a geek and fast. NOT the geeksquad though, they really won't be of much help retaining your current information.

You may need to get out one of your backups from storage.