PDA

View Full Version : SGE with young child

Goofy Pluto
07-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone.

So I was on AE several times before it changed to SGE. I thought it was pretty cheesy but fun. The only part that freaked me out even a little bit was the breathing on the neck.

Anyway, I haven't been on the new SGE since it opened. I was just wondering what it was like. Is it scary like AE was intended to be? Or is it cute, since it has Stitch in it? What's the storyline? Basically I'm just trying to determine if it would be appropriate for a nearly 5-yo girl. Thanks.

Disney Doll
07-03-2007, 01:18 PM
It's really a pretty similar story line. It doesn't use the cute Stitch, but the mischievous, criminal Stitch. Of course we know he is harmless, but some of the same effects remain. It is considerably less intense now that the attraction uses Stitch, but it can still be scary for kiddos. I would probably not take a child that young, but that's just me.

tink179
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
i took my 3yr old son on that ride, and it didn't scare him. It only made him mad, because the ride doesn't really do anything. i never went on ae, so i can't compare stitch to that, but there's just sound effects, and darkness, it can be loud. the ride does not move. i guess it all depends on your little girl. my boys now 4 and 6 just won't go on it anymore, because there's no thrill factor to it. i hope this helps
:mickey:

Jared
07-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Few young children will be frightened by Stitch's Great Escape!. Even fewer people will enjoy the attraction.

Seriously, there are some tactile sensations and effects similar to the show's predecessor. But the experience is considerably tamer.

alilprincessmom
07-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, it isn't terribly scary, but I probably would not take a 5 year old on it, but that's just me. My DD rode it when she was 6 and it scared her! It's a really ridiculous attraction if you ask me, a little scary, but much more tame than AE.

GAN
07-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I think that a younger, say 3 year old, would be less terrified than a 5-7 year old on this attraction. It's not terribly scary, but the fear of unknown and total darkness can really mess with a child's mind. At this age children have developed enough to understand fear -of course, it depends on the child because there are some that are not afraid of anything and could walk off laughing. But in general, this is not a ride for a 5-year old in my opinion. I have literally seen kids walk out of there absolutely terrified. If you're looking for a little entertainment, I suggest waiting at the exit of the ride and watching the looks horrified children "escape." Of course, if you've always wanted your picture hanging on the walls of your local DCYF(Dept of Children, Youth & Families ...or whatever it's called where you're from) take your daughter on.

SurferStitch
07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I've experienced SGE numerous times, and I'm yet to see or hear a terrified child (and after hearing about the droves of terrified children from this board, I've looked). I've seen lots of laughing kids, but no scared or crying kids. I have also seen children at least as young as 3 in SGE.

I have several friends that have taken 4,5 and 7 year old kids in this attraction, and they all said their children liked it. One liked it so much she made her mom take her back several times that day.

Unless your child is very sensitive to the dark or surprises (like having her hair played with or being burped on), they should be fine. I know that at 5 my niece was a real daredevil, and Stitch would have been very tame for her. You'll have to judge your child and see what they are up for.

Gotta Love Eeyore
07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
My kids both like the Stitch character but they both agree that this was one ride they don't ever care to go on again. They were 4 & 6 and both hated it! My 4 year old was one of the "terrified" children. We are heading back in September and at least once a week I hear one of them say "Who does NOT want to ride the Stitch ride again?"

Oh, I can't say I blame them either. Great character, horrible ride in my opinion.:(

wdw_bound
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
It can be a bit loud for some kids, and there is a period of absolute darkness that freaks some kids out. Plus they are in seats with the shoulder harness things, so when it gets dark they feel very alone since they aren't touching anyone.

I'd be iffy on taking a little one - see how they do with some of the other dark attractions first. Some are fine, some are not. As an adult, I've got to say I'm in no hurry to go back - getting a chilidog burp in the face is NOT my idea of a good time :sick:

emmatink
07-03-2007, 10:35 PM
We took our nephew on SGE when he was 8 and he was terrified! He was afraid to go on any of the rides that were in the dark after it. We had to practically drag him onto the Buzz lightyear ride! It's hard to say how your child will react though because from reading other posts some kids aren't afraid at all. I know this probably doesn't help in making your decision, sorry.

Nekochan
07-07-2007, 06:27 AM
You need to know how your kid will react. What actually upset my son (11 years old) was the burp smell - he does have some sensory issues, so this was NOT a good attraction for him.

Simbafan73
07-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Cheesy!Cheesy!Cheesy! A little bit scary for a 5 year old.

Cozfamilyof6
07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Took our 5 year old last fall - he is a HUGE Stitch fan. He did not like the ride at all. It doesn't "do" anything and he did not like being strapped down in the dark. The mist, burping and tickling on his neck freaked him out.

You know your child best - but I thought I knew mine and that he would like the ride, but he definitely did not and has no desire to go back on it this October.

Good Luck!