PDA

View Full Version : How thrilling (scary) is BTMRR?

Disneyatic
07-03-2007, 11:56 AM
What is the thrill factor for this ride?
We are trying to convince our DD 7 to ride both mountains on our upcoming trip but I am concerned about BTMRR being too much for her.
Does it go really fast? Are the turns sharp? Any big drops??

Lorraine444
07-03-2007, 12:09 PM
BTMRR is not a huge coaster like space mountain. It's not as fast, and certainly the hills aren't as bad either. You can go to youtube.com search Big Thunder Mountain Railroad & watch a video of the whole ride. Maybe this will help.

moe513
07-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Bttm is very tame. I think space mountain is alot scarier for kids but it doesnt have a big drop either. Space mtn is in the dark, however you can see the tracks. I keep an eye on the tracks and it makes it easier. My dd did both at age 5 with no problem. She was more scared of its a bugs life.

Thunder
Space
Everest
Rnr
Thats how I rank them for intensity.

Goes4FastPass
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
BTMRR - fast turns- yes, big drops - no.

My niece, now 7 loves it.

MOJoe
07-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Be careful here. I encouraged my DS 7 to ride Big Thunder a year ago. He was jostled around so much that he was frightened. It may be several years before he will try it again. He is not a timid child. Very active and athletic. But this ride put some fear in him. So be careful. If the child has questions, you can get a good look at the ride from Tom Sawyers Island.
My advice is to be objective and not force the issue. There is no need to insist anyone ride a ride.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
My boys both love BTMRR. They are almost 10 and 7. :thumbsup:

It is fast and fun but, as MOJoe said, it does jostle you around a bit. I find that if you can kind of keep yourself steady with the grips in front of you that helps. Also, it seats two so if you are sitting with your child that will help. My older son will only sit with someone, my younger son loves being tossed around and sits by himself.

It is one of my favorite rides.

Speedy1998
07-03-2007, 12:49 PM
When I was 4 I loved BTMRR and was scared of Space Mountain. (Splash Mountain and Goofy's Barnstormer did not exist yet). By time I was six I loved both. Now my 6 year old is afraid of BTMRR and my 3 year old loves it. So I think it really depends on the individual child.

P.S. Incase you are wondering the 3yo is 42in tall.

TinkRocks
07-03-2007, 01:14 PM
In my experience, the best time to ride BTMRR for first-timers is in the morning hours.

Keep in mind that the tracks get warmer in the afternoons because of the weather, and, therefore, cause the trains to run faster.

Night time adds to the senses because you may not see the track in front of you, as you would during the day.

Disney Doll
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
BTMRR is not that thrilling. I think it's a good first coaster. We took our niece when she was five and she loved it. It is a bit bumpy, but still pretty tame.

llamaface
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM
My 6 yr old DS tells me to tell you that it is not scary at all!! :mickey: (he's a big chicken when it comes to thrill rides!)

mainemajor
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
In my experience, the best time to ride BTMRR for first-timers is in the morning hours.

Keep in mind that the tracks get warmer in the afternoons because of the weather, and, therefore, cause the trains to run faster.

Night time adds to the senses because you may not see the track in front of you, as you would during the day.

I agree here 100%. BTMRR is the tamest of the Disney mts. At night it is much more of a thrill ride.

Juniorunc2001
07-03-2007, 02:18 PM
i think BTMRR is a great ride. It is very fun, and not to fast or scary at all.
It gives you great views and lets you be on a runaway train - who doesnt like that!

alilprincessmom
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
I honestly think SM is scarier than BTMRR. BTMRR is a little jerky and bumpy but there aren't any big hills and it isn't in the dark like SM. My daughter was 4 when she rode BTMRR and it did scare her, but she was terrified the first time she rode SM.

Disneyatic
07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied so far!
We are going to look up video on YOUTUBE and see what we can find.
I know she won't do Space Mountain, no way is she going to even consider that one! But we are trying for Splash and BTMRR on this trip!

DisneyLove06
07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
I rode BTMRR when i was her age for the first time, and I thought it was fun. I sat with my mom and twin though, and when we dipped I felt like I was flying out of my seat, lol. I still get that feeling though and I'm 14...but I like to ride by myself since there is an odd number of people in my family...anyways I would let her try it. And I would want her to try SM too, I think it's like BTMRR but in the dark. I cant believe I waited so long to go on SM..

Jared
07-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is definitely the tamest major roller coaster in Walt Disney World. Most seven-year-olds can handle the ride, but there are many exceptions.

Generally when people ask about Space Mountain or Expedition Everest, I make sure they are comfortable on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I suppose Goofy's Barnstormer in Mickey's Toontown Fair is the best baseline for your child.

Good luck.

GrmGrninGost
07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
BTMRR is not an intense thrill ride, but for someone not used to coasters it may be a handful. It has no major drops, but it is fairly fast. It has a lot of quick turns that throw you side to side. Have you thought of trying the Barnstormer at Toontown first? It is a smaller coaster that may help your DD see if she would like to try BTMRR. :mickey:

pook@wdw
07-03-2007, 06:49 PM
BTMRR is our DN's favorite ride. he was 4 when he first rode it, and today @ almost 7, he still talks about it!:thumbsup:

Gotta Love Eeyore
07-03-2007, 09:52 PM
I agree that it can be a little bumpy/jerky but when we went last my then 4 year old daughter and 6 year old son wanted to ride it over and over. I would check out the youtube video too. :number1:

beksy
07-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I agree with the others. BTMRR is the tamest and just enough of a roller coaster to be exciting but not enough to make you feel :ack: (unless you're my dad who gets sick on any thrill ride at all!). I think that Space is much much worse but Mom (who isn't a big thrill ride person) loves BTMRR. As for Splash, that is the only thrill ride that my sister has ever been on (although she says she's going to try the others this trip!!). She rode Splash when she was about 5 after seeing me ride it and enjoy it so many times with Mom and even Dad! The only "thrill" part is the drop you see and that isn't as bad as it looks. We put my sister in the second row with Dad and had her focus on all the great animation while Mom and I rode in the front. She loved it (and like I said that is saying a lot! :secret:). These are 2 of my 3 favorite thrill rides (the other being ToT). :cloud9:

wendybird
07-04-2007, 01:26 PM
I am not a coaster fan - won't even attempt Rock n Coaster at MGM - this is a tame coaster as coasters go. I have been riding it since I was young and it never scared me.