PDA

View Full Version : Travel through Nashville in 1970s

alphamommy
07-03-2007, 09:25 AM
My parents were from Northern Alabama. DH, DD, and I are going down there at the end of July.

As a child, I remember many trips down I-65 where we had to take a "side road" north of Nashville (the town name on the exit sign was "White House"). I called this "Loco Joe" road, because of all the fireworks stores. I realize now that it was probably US-31.

When we got into town, we took a road that went just west of the state capitol building - it was like being in a valley below the side of the building. Any idea what road that was? Does it still exist?

Thanks,
Tammy

disneydeb
07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Could it have been James Robertson Parkway?

alphamommy
07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Could it have been James Robertson Parkway?

It's possible - I was just a kid, and the main thing I remember is looking straight up at the capitol building as we went "under" it.

Thanks,
Tammy

Wayne
07-03-2007, 08:49 PM
The other poster was correct. James Robertson Parkway goes around the base of capitol hill on the north and west side. You don't say when you would have been making the trip, but you might remember there being a Travelodge (sleepy bear on the sign) and a Ramada Inn (complete with the butler on the sign) as you come around the big curve at the bottom of that hill...at least that's what I remember as a kid.

alphamommy
07-04-2007, 11:37 AM
I vaguely remember the Travelodge and Ramada Inn. We made the trip a few times a year until the early '80s. I was born in '63, so we went through Nashville a lot during my childhood.

I'm assuming that my guess about "Loco Joe" road being US-31 is correct?

Thanks,
Tammy