PDA

View Full Version : obsessive planning?

septembergirl
07-02-2007, 10:16 PM
My DH says that he thinks I have a "problem" for all the researching and planning I do online. He says I am spending an inordinate amount of time on Disney.:blush:
I have assured him that I am just trying to get info to plan the best vacation possible but he still has his doubts...:shake:

VickiP
07-02-2007, 10:23 PM
He'll thank you later. Besides, planning is half of the fun!

BronxTigger
07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I feel like I'm planning WAY too much right now. Here is a list of the trips I am planning:

-My August trip to WDW
-My October trip to WDW
-My friend's trip to NYC (August)
-My brother's trip to NYC (also August)
-My parents' trip to NYC (October)
-My trip to DC (also August!)

My head is spinning! :silly::paranoid:

kaerbear178
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
He will thank you once you are there. My fiance thought the same thing on our last trip-he had never been there. Now he asks about what I am planning for our upcoming trip in Dec.

jedi jen
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Well . . . I am not sure that I can be objective. I love planning the WDW trip, and I spend plenty of time doing it. But I can say this. You are not alone. :D :mickey::thumbsup:

rachburch
07-02-2007, 10:54 PM
My DH says/thinks the exact thing! But... when we went at the end of March this year, which may I remind all is very crowded, and we had less than a 5 minute wait for Haunted Mansion, PotC, Splash, and BTMR, because I had us using EMH, FP, and lots of other crowd aversion strategies, he looked at our son and said "Mom is a Master Planner". Oh,I felt so great!

Lizzie
07-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I think part of the fun of a disney vacation is planning. My husband is amused he is about saving money on the Disney package and on the airline tickets, and he leaves everything else up to me. I fill him in on what I have planned.

mrsgaribaldi
07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
We don't really plan all that much. We only make one or two Adrs and that's it. But I know that planning brings alot of excitement to alot of people. I don't see anything wrong with obsessive planning. I'm sure it makes for a great trip:thumbsup:

MMouse6937
07-03-2007, 12:13 AM
DH is used to it by now, but I still think secretly he wants to tell me to knock it off :D It's what I do, it's who I am, he knows that, and accepts me. Is it his cup of tea? No, but he knows it makes me happy, and he also knows that we have a great time because of all the planning I do and all the knowledge about Disney I have. Trust me, he'll realize what a great thing you did once you get there and he's having a wonderful time! :thumbsup:

snifflesmcg
07-03-2007, 12:26 AM
Hello, my name is Missy and I am an obsessive planner.

I spent 3 months finding out info and planning our trip last year to a T. I was smart enough to keep all of my paper work and notes on the computer. This year, I pulled it all out and have pretty much planned another perfect vacation. Like the others have said, he'll thank you later. My BF did.

GrmGrninGost
07-03-2007, 07:53 AM
The way I see it, your only "problem" is having fun! Planning for your WDW vacation is almost as much fun as actually going! My DW does most of the actual planning, but she keeps me constantly updated. I'd hate to be out of the loop!:mickey:

Dedivah
07-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Our first trip to Disney my hubby was a bit annoyed with all the planning. It was a large group going at the time too. So between the planning and the getting people to pay it was very stressful on me.

After we got back from a fabulous trip. He brags about my planning skills and now has me planning trips for his friends. :laugh:

Once he sees that I am in planning mode he just leaves me alone.

I have been planning a 1 week trip for 7 months now. We have ADRs every night and our days are for which ever park we choose.

Tinkerfreak
07-03-2007, 09:57 AM
DH is used to it by now, but I still think secretly he wants to tell me to knock it off :D It's what I do, it's who I am, he knows that, and accepts me. Is it his cup of tea? No, but he knows it makes me happy, and he also knows that we have a great time because of all the planning I do and all the knowledge about Disney I have. Trust me, he'll realize what a great thing you did once you get there and he's having a wonderful time! :thumbsup:

My DH is the same way. He will some times roll his eyes or just be sick of talking Disney but then he appreciates it when we get an adr for his favorite ts meal. He said to me a month ago that we should try the Cali Grill and I had us an adr the very next day and for fireworks time. I admit I think I just lucked out when I got it but he was surprised how fast I did it.

krose78
07-03-2007, 11:26 AM
My husbands just knows I'm going to plan so he lets me. I have tried to include him in decisions but he just wants to know where we are going that day and what we are eating and he is happy. Although he was disappointed that we are not eating at Sci-Fi this trip. But I told him since this is only our second trip with the dining plan we should try as many new restaurants as possible. Where was he when I was planning my ADR's :confused:

mickey&missy
07-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Planning adds to the fun and excitement!

I started planning our last trip over a year in advance! I had everything planned 6 months out because we do a lot of ADR's. I have a whole excel document with 5 different worksheets of info from the trip. A long intinerary of what park what day what ridesand dining, a short intinerary that I sent to the travel agent so she could make our ADR's, a packing list and a grocery list that I faxed to the grocery store so we could pick them up on the way to the hotel.

Think I'm obessed?! :fresh:

I'm doing everything myself for our trip in March and I'm very excited! I really want to have my hands in it this time, not just tell the travel agent what I want. Its killing me that 2008 rates aren't out yet! I really want to get the ball rolling on the trip!!

Tink#64
07-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I am a planner - it's what I do & who I am. I'm a note taker & a list maker! I LOVE planning WDW trips! I love my spreadsheets & index cards for WDW! I love helping other people plan WDW trips! My DH brags to others how much planning I do! I thinks he's actually impressed!:D I just gotto help one of my friends to plan their trip & I was so impressed with her planning. She even had her index cards laminated!:yes: Another friend told me that she's too spontaneous to plan!:faint: But she called me today & told me I would be proud of her - that she actually bought some guide books & has something of a plan! Even some ADR's! They leave in 3 days, better late than never! For me planning the trip is half the fun!:party:

Dsnygirl
07-04-2007, 04:33 AM
:mickey: My DH and my MIL, who joined us, teased me a lot as well about how much time I spent planning and all the info I collected... but once we were there, and things went so smoothly - boy were they grateful!! So, you just wait - he'll be thanking you in the end, and he'll never tease again!! :thumbsup:

little disney lovers
07-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Yes, I am also a compulsive, obsessive, WDW planner, And, yes my husband thinks I need some psyciatric help.
I am currently busy planning our trip for April / May next year and like many of you it is killing me that the new package rates aren't out yet. I haven't booked anything, not even airfares, I just want to wait and see the new package deals. I'm going to burst if they don't hurry!
:mad:

psychotekkie
07-05-2007, 01:05 AM
There is more than one reason for the planning!

1. As previous posters have mentioned, it really helps the vacation go seamlessly, and with a minimum of disappointments.

2. After a long day of work or whatever it is that makes your day long, you need downtime. And doing Disney planning is the best downtime because it makes you feel like you are almost there! And let's face it, reading and writing Intercot posts is not pure planning, but it is pure entertainment. EVERYBODY needs to do something enjoyable on a regular basis in order to live a balanced life. He might choose reading the paper or watching TV and YOUR choice is to do Disney planning. If it makes you happy, its not a problem!

Figgyluv03
07-05-2007, 12:52 PM
You are not alone. It's my BF's first trip and he think's I'm absolutely crazy. We are going in October of 2008 and all I keep looking at is pricing and trying to figure out how much the airlines will go up by then. But it's fun picking out our dining meals and now I'm trying to find tshirts and stuff.

ImagiAsh
07-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure how people can expect us to contain ourselves if we're not allowed to look up everything about Disney in the pre-trip stage! I have never been able to book a trip and forget about it until the time came to leave. It's becoming more and more obvious to me why I haven't logged off Intercot for a few hours today.:blush: ONE WEEK TO GO!!!:D

pook@wdw
07-07-2007, 06:22 PM
To a Disney lover, there is no such thing as "an inordinate amount" of planning time for a WDW journey! He'll appreciate it when you go and everything runs smooth as clockwork. (or almost everything). WDW is not a "wing-it" kind of place. But w/proper planning and a little :pixie: you too will have a Magical journey!:thumbsup:

WonderlandsMostWanted
07-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh I am a planning NUT!! The only thing I constantly remind myself, is that other than the ADR's, everything else is a "guideline." You can plan and plan and have time frames and everything worked out and when you get there, there's an unforeseen bump in the road that throws it all off. Because of the "what if" factor, I try to make sure I have a good base plan of attack, but that I'm flexible enough to make changes if necessary. I don't have a certian time set that I HAVE to be in a park by, or have to leave by (other than the aforementioned ADR's) and I even go so far as to plan days to be spontainious! :cool:

Yes, I know that ounds silly, but I like to make sure I plan enough time to hit our "must do's" and have time set aside at the end of the trip to do whatever we feel like that day. Revisit parks, check out a water park if weather permits (we're going in December, so you can't set a specific day to do that 6 months in advance, as the weather doesn't cooperate with my planning efforts, no matter how much I think it ought to!) go shopping, louge at the resort, check out other resorts, etc.

If I get to determined to have things work out exactly as I anticipated, I'm prone to being rather disappointed, and that's not way to spend a vacation!

Bringonthemouse!
07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
He says I am spending an inordinate amount of time on Disney.:blush:

NO SUCH THING!!

Happy planning and have a great trip!

mouseketeer mom
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Its not just the planning I'm obsessed with, I love it all. I love to read about others trips, thoughts, ideas..you name it. I plan like crazy. My DH doesn' t get it., his idea of a terrific vacation is parking himself on the beach and staying put for the whole day, for the whole week. As I write this, we are at LBI at the Jersey Shore at a house on the beach. Beautiful, lovely, serene..but listen to this, I won 2 stuffed Stitch toys from a claw game last nite and I was over the moon. He is dressed in 2 different Hawaiian type outfits and I was sooo excited because I was thinking about our upcoming Nov. trip to the Poly!!!!! I never tire of thinking about WDW or planning for WDW!!! My DH always thanks me at the end of our trips, for putting it all together and making it all happen. I wish he was more of a planner with me, but he's not. But...we go to WDW at least twice a year, because he knows how much I love it, so I can't complain. My kids love it as much as I do so he is waaay outnumbered!!!!

psychotekkie
07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Mickey voice: Ha Ha!

I was thinking, with all I learn from Intercot, if I ever lose my job, I can apply to become a lifesized Pal Mickey.

pshokie
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Mickey voice: Ha Ha!

I was thinking, with all I learn from Intercot, if I ever lose my job, I can apply to become a lifesized Pal Mickey.

Boy, imagine the size of the lanyard for that Pal Mickey! :D

Seeing how the DH's are taking a beating, I will go 180 on you. My DW was saying the exact same thing about my obsessive planning. She became very nervous that I was planning too much, that I was trying to do too much, and that our kids would not be able to do it all. I calmly explained to her, the planning was for me. I needed to know all the ins and outs. I needed to know which parks had EMH in the morning & at night. I needed to know what each CS served. So on and so on...

Why?

Because I wanted to be a walking tour guide. Not to pressure things I wanted to do, but to help guide us through the parks. Want to see Minnie's House, IASW, and Dumbo? Okay, then we should go this way in this order......

And for lunch? Well, I recommend Columbia Harbour House After IASW, not as close as Pinocchio's but it is less crowded, and it is just down the hill this way......

And the story ends the same. On more than one occasion, during and after the trip, my DW thanked me for my "habbit".

PinKy
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Planning is part of the fun!! And its what keeps me entertained and excited about Disney throughout the year. We only go to WDW once a year - but boy, we DO DISNEY when we go! We're looking at 10 days next year! (because we found out this year - we need to move at a much slower pace with the little DS and all....) Think of how much planning that is! SUCH fun!!! Plus, we try to stay somewhere new each year - I think that's fun too....... although its not always possible. :thumbsup: Disney RS's to make, a tour to book, nanny to schedule, tickets to buy - fun fun fun!

DawsonAR
07-10-2007, 03:04 PM
My DH thinks I need therapy for my Disney addiction. However, he always thanks me after we have a wonderful trip with nice ADR's etc. :)

TIGGERSDOBOUNCE
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
:mickey: I have tried explaining to my DW, DD(13), AND DS(12) - how much fun it is wadding in the pool of anticipation...I can't get enough of DISNEY when we don't have a trip planned, I can't get enough of DISNEY when we do have a trip planned...I don't know that my kids understand at all, but my DW at least pretends to...I don't understand with all of the websites and all of the different points of view how you could ever get enough of, or get bored of DISNEY...M I C :mickey2: K E Y :mickey3: M O U S E :wave:

FUN FUN :tigger: FUN

StitchLuvr
07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Like so many others have said planning is part of the fun!!

I'm such a Disney nut that the planning, dreaming, looking at pics on websites, etc. is my "fix" in between trips.

One of my favorite things to do is log on and see how many variations I can come up with to see how far my dollar will stretch on both the WDW and DCL sites. If that doesn't put me into the obsessive/compulsive category I don't know what will!! :paranoid: :crazy:

Figgyluv03
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
My DH thinks I need therapy for my Disney addiction. However, he always thanks me after we have a wonderful trip with nice ADR's etc. :)

Can your DH get in touch with DBf and talk some sense into him!?!?! He still thinks I'm crazy!