PDA

View Full Version : Incendiary Incident in Downtown Disney Parking Lot Dumpster

DisneyJunkie
07-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Message updated by Figment! on 07-02-2007 at 11:32AM

Post Press Conference Update per Orlando Sentinel (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1341411&postcount=21)

Message updated by Figment! on 07-02-2007 at 10:26AM

Updates per Local6, WFTV, Reuters, & Orlando Sentinel (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1341176&postcount=7)

Message originally posted by DisneyJunkie on 07-02-2007 at 07:09 AM

I literally just heard this on Fox News less than 30 seconds ago. It was a quick blurb that apparently sometime after midnight in one of the further-out Downtown Disney parking lots, there was some type of pipe explosion. I'm sure there will be more news reports coming up.

As a little update, they just came on again and said they verified with the Orange County Sheriff's office and they are investigating this as a "major event". It occurred sometime after midnight last night, apparently.

big blue and hairy
07-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Is this online somewhere? I can't find it.

DisneyJunkie
07-02-2007, 07:36 AM
It doesn't appear to be online yet, I've been looking as well. But Fox News has been reporting on it off and on within the past 25 minutes.

playdead88
07-02-2007, 07:48 AM
i looked at orlando's local news websites and the national news sites - there hasn't been a mention of it yet - im at work so if anyone finds a website with the news please keep us updated :confused:

GothMickey
07-02-2007, 08:50 AM
I am flipping back and forth between Fox and CNN and nothing, not a mention. I am looking all over the internet and still nothing. If this was such a major event, don't you think the media would be all over this? Since the so called bomb blew up after midnight, and we are now at 8:45 AM, plenty of time has been given to the media outlets to run this story. And so far only Fox has? Honestly, I don't trust Fox. They seem to make mountains out of molehills, especially when it fits their agenda. Providing this is true, I hope no one got hurt. If this is just a little firecracker going off, and FOX News is reporting acts of terror, then they need to be BANNED!!!!!!!!

Scar
07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
It was a pipe bomb. No reported injuries. Not believed to be terrorist related.

Source: WABC radio in NY

Figment!
07-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Suspicious Incident At Downtown Disney Investigated

Local6
July 2, 2007

Orange County sheriff's deputies are investigating a suspicious incident at the Downtown Disney entertainment complex.

Investigators told Local 6 that something happened in a garbage can in the parking lot Sunday night.

There were no injuries in connection with the incident.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deputies Investigating Incident At Downtown Disney

wftv
July 2, 2007

Early Monday morning the Orange County Sheriff's Office responded to a suspicious incident in a remote area of Downtown Disney.

Reports said a Disney employee heard a noise and saw smoke coming from a large trash bin or dumpster.

The sheriff's office was called and investigators secured the area around the dumpster. They started processing the scene to determine the source of the noise and smoke.

There was no reported property damage and there were no injuries.The sheriff's office said the incident was being called suspicious and would continue its investigation to determine the source of the noise and smoke.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reuters
July 2, 2007

... Although Fox News {was told} there had been an incident involving a pipe bomb early on Monday at the Walt Disney World Resort outside Orlando, Florida, local authorities said the suspicious incident was still under investigation.

"We're not calling it a pipe bomb. That is not close to being confirmed," said Susan Soto of the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

She said a Disney employee reported hearing a noise and then smoke coming from a large trash bin at the resort. There were no injuries or property damage and the source of the noise and smoke had yet to be determined.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deputies Investigate Suspicious Incident at Disney

Walter Pacheco |Staff Writer
Orlando Sentinel
July 2, 2007

Downtown Disney once again is in the spotlight this morning after deputies encountered smoke rising from a dumpster in what officials are calling a "suspicious incident."

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary is holding a news conference at 10:30 a.m. in reference to the incident.

A Disney employee told deputies that at about 12:30 a.m. he heard a noise and saw smoke coming from a dumpster in a remote part of Downtown Disney, according to a sheriff's office press release. When deputies arrived, they secured the area and later reported no damage or injuries.

Earlier news reports speculated that the package was a pipe bomb; however, deputies are not releasing any other information until the press conference.

Scar
07-02-2007, 08:59 AM
I am flipping back and forth between Fox and CNN and nothing, not a mention. ...I don't trust Fox. They seem to make mountains out of molehills, especially when it fits their agenda.If you haven't seen it on FOX, then what makes you think they are making a big deal about it?

big blue and hairy
07-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Well, if only one Orlando outlet said anything and it was just that little blurb, it wasn't much.

:sulley:

GothMickey
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
If you haven't seen it on FOX, then what makes you think they are making a big deal about it?

Someone on another site said they saw it on FOX and that they were running a terrorist angel. It was their local Fox affiliate. My thing is, FOX News wants to make everything terrorist related to advance their agenda. Since very little is being mentioned, even in Florida media circles, then it is nothing more than a very stupid act. As long as no one got hurt, this is not major breaking news. Now, if Al-Qeada blew up half od DTD, then that is different. This is nothing more than local punks, who DTD is trying to get rid of, being stupid.

Figment!
07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
It was a pipe bomb. Although this was initially reported, all current indications are that it was not.

Scar
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
This is nothing more than local punks, who DTD is trying to get rid of, being stupid.My guess is that it is one (or more) of the punks that were kicked out "getting back" at Disney.

big blue and hairy
07-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Actually, it was Brer Frogs pipe....

:sulley:

Quasimodo
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Someone on another site said they saw it on FOX and that they were running a terrorist angel. It was their local Fox affiliate. My thing is, FOX News wants to make everything terrorist related to advance their agenda.

I saw the news alert on Fox News this morning as well. All they said was that WOFL in Orlando was reporting a pipe bomb explosion in a rear parking lot at Downtown Disney. They went on to explain what Downtown Disney is and that was it. No mention of terrorism. No agenda was pushed.

Lucille
07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
DH just heard this on the radio and gave me a call. I look forward to more infomation.

dpamac
07-02-2007, 10:04 AM
I saw the news alert on Fox News this morning as well. All they said was that WOFL in Orlando was reporting a pipe bomb explosion in a rear parking lot at Downtown Disney. They went on to explain what Downtown Disney is and that was it. No mention of terrorism. No agenda was pushed.

Thank you Quasimodo for clarification.

I think we can take the bias of any media discussion elsewhere and try to move this back toward the topic at hand.

GrumpyFan
07-02-2007, 10:11 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it was probably some early fourth of July fireworks thrown in there for fun.

JPL
07-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Considering the recent problems with kids at DTD and the fact that you can buy fireworks at the local supermarkets and Walmart in Florida. I would look more at kids with fireworks than terrorists placing a bomb in an area that will do little damage.

Figment!
07-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Due to the media attention, the Orange County Sheriff's Office has scheduled a press conference today to disclose further information on the incident.

Crow
07-02-2007, 11:11 AM
wait to see what they say in press conference'
my first thought was fireworks also

Figment!
07-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Device Explodes at Disney

Walter Pacheco |Staff Writer
Orlando Sentinel
July 2, 2007

Orange County deputies found a "low-level crude device" resembling a pipe bomb in a dumpster at a Downtown Disney parking lot early today.

Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said the homemade device blew the doors off a dumpster in the popular tourist spot at Walt Disney World.

"Our investigators found end caps, which usually indicate a pipe-bomb-like device," said Beary at a news conference this morning. "We believe this was not designed to cause significant property damage or injuries."

Beary said security at Downtown Disney has been increased not just because of the suspicious incident, but also because of the recent terrorist activity overseas.

"Once we saw things unfolding in the U.K. and Glasgow, and the fact that it's July 4th, we increased security," said Beary.

He added that "this is not connected to any sophisticated plot, either domestically or internationally."

A Disney employee told deputies that at about 12:30 a.m. he heard a noise and saw white smoke coming from a dumpster in a remote part of Downtown Disney, according to a sheriff's office press release. When deputies arrived, they secured the area and later reported no damage or injuries.

GothMickey
07-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Like I said, more than likely local punks thinking they are being funny. I wonder if Disney's security cameras has picked up anything? I hope so so these idiots can get caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law. And by the way, I had a friend call me saying one of their local affiliates said terrorists hit Disney Word. When I questioned what network, take a guess at what he said? I will end it there.

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
In think this was just a case of someone acting childish, more than likely some teenager... Was this caught on tape?

gueli
07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
grasp the headline, expand it, exploit it, run with it, oops the story isn't right, redifine it, find its not a huge story, drop it from the rotation...(typical first reports on any given news show).:-o

I doubt that disney keeps camera's on dumpsters in out of way locations. not that i would blame them.
But I do hope that the sherifs office catches them.

:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
07-05-2007, 09:47 AM
What some people won't do for a little attention.