PDA

View Full Version : Riding Everest

Hull-onian
07-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Okay folks, how is the latest and greatest ride at AK? Will I be able to take it? I just about can handle Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. Was the wait long? Did you like the ride? Thanks in advance.

mrsgaribaldi
07-01-2007, 07:45 PM
We loved it:thumbsup:The wait is long. Try to get there first thing and ride it right away and get a fastpass for later;)We did the singles line in May and still had like a 15 minute wait. It's worth it :mickey:

True Disney Fan
07-01-2007, 07:46 PM
:thumbsup:If I can take it,you should be able to. It was pretty AWSOME and I was impressed. Since I am one with a tendency for motion sickness:sick:, I actually surprised myself.

Going backward,was a bit hairy but, I made it. Try it and if you are not impressed, at least you can say you did try it first...

Have a Magical Time...:mickey::mickey:

WDWfanatic742
07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Even if you go there first thing, expect to wait awhile. We were there at opening and the line was all the way backed out past the fastpass machine's. We were able to get 3 fastpasses for it in a day in about 5 hours total. If you are by yourself or don't care about splitting up, definately go single riders. There hardly ever is a line for it because the train's are so big that there are many empty seats from Fastpass and Stand-by.

jrpersinger
07-01-2007, 08:00 PM
I was actually alittle disappointed. I found the forward part of the ride to be on the weaker side. Going backwards was pretty fun. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a fun ride. But it wasn't at all what I thought.

As for the line, when we went to get our fastpass it was pretty long. But when we went back to use our fastpass it had been down for rain/lightening. As soon as we got there it opened back up. Me and my SIL walked up to get the rider swap pass and and the castmember put us right threw the line. We didn't even have to wait. We were on the 2nd train out.

GrmGrninGost
07-02-2007, 07:00 AM
I thought it was a little more intense than Big Thunder. I also thought it was a little more fun than Big Thunder!:mickey: The lines are always long. Try to get there first thing in the morning, you may be able to get on with out much wait. While you are there, get Fast Passes.

frakers
07-02-2007, 08:08 AM
I am not a motion person. I do most of the things simply to prove to myself that I can. When we rode EE we actually had fastpasses as well as a baby swap. Due to some backing out by others, we ended up riding twice within 5 minutes. The first time was not bad. And the Yeti effects are beyond neat.
The second time, however, was not as great. It would seem that the motion got to us. No, no one got sick or anything like that, but it definitely left us feeling wobbly and maybe a bit uneasy. I think we both announced right there that we had done it and didn't need to again.
Of course we will ride again, but no way I do it 2 times in a row. Once, sure. Twice, give me a couple of hours (or days).

dolphinmickey9170
07-02-2007, 08:34 AM
I don't have motion sickness problems, so these types of rides are great for me. I love the "going backward" part of it. It gives the lackluster beginning a run for its money hands down.

pook@wdw
07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
IT ROCKS:rocker::rocker::rocker: We were able to ride it 4 times in a row using our fastpass and rider switch pass. The wait was minimal. (about 10 min each time) It is definitely a "must-do" !:thumbsup:

Disneyglamour
07-02-2007, 09:30 AM
It might look intimidating but it is so much fun! Much smoother ride than Big thunder also. Make sure to get to AK right when it opens and get a fast pass. When were were there last summer, the fast passes for the whole day were gone by 1pm!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-02-2007, 09:30 AM
My DH took the two boys on EE last trip. They loved it! Sean and Ry are two huge fans of BTMRR and they said it was similar.

DH has never ridden BTMRR :eek:, so after riding EE he says he will go on it this year.

Have fun!

Jared
07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Maybe I sound too cautious, but Expedition Everest may be too intense for the original poster.

Though the ride was originally billed as a family thrill ride, the final product certainly does not match that description. If one "just about can handle" Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash Mountain push the limit, I suggest staying away from Expedition Everest.

Perhaps try Space Mountain or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster before experiencing what I think is the most frightening attraction in Walt Disney World.

Keep in mind that I love the ride and ride at least once or twice each trip.

Jeri Lynn
07-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Personally for me I found the ride pretty intense. My sister and I rode it once because we made a pact that we would at least try it.

I had read that it was a little faster than Big Thunder Mountain, but smoother.

I was nervous becasue of my vertigo issues, especially of the going backwards in the dark part.

I was glad I rode it once, I screamed the entire time, my sister could not even scream. My eyes were closed the entire backwards part, I never saw the Yeti.

We both got off the ride, and although we were not nauseaus, our bodies felt like rubber...we got an ice cream bar (a cure-all) and sat down for about 10 minutes until we felt normal again!!

That was our experience...my sister is actually talking about trying it again on our trip this year...I'm not sure I am going to.

psychotekkie
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I agree that it is more intense than Big Thunder Mtn. The slopes are definitely bigger.

However, I do get pretty scared at the top of the drop on Splash, and I think that anticipation you get at the top of a drop is what makes roller coasters scary.

In terms of the anticipation factor, I didn't find EE much scarier than Splash. And you must understand that when going backward, although it surprises you as it changes directions and banks around corners etc, you never get that same scare because you're not sitting up high on a hill looking down at a pending drop.

Personally I really liked EE. I see lineups as part of the vacation. I just look at the great theming in the queue area and chat with my DH.

Tink's Mom
07-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Thunder mountain is my favorite ride! I love it because it is just about as much as I can handle on a ride. (I know, I am a weenie). I always ride it several times when we go. But EE scared the heck out of me. My family still makes fun of the way I looked when I got off the ride. I could hardly walk because my legs were shaking so much. Maybe you should let your family ride it first, then have them tell you if they think that you should attempt it . Good luck!

VickiP
07-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I am a self-proclaimed ride sissy. I don't like big drops and I'm not a thrill ride person. However, I really wanted to ride EE. We got a fastpass and were on the ride before I even had a chance to think about it. On the first few little drops & curves, I thought it was no big deal. The backwards part completely threw me though and I screamed until I literally had to take a breath (ask my husband). Even though the rest of the ride was forward, I had so much adrenaline flowing by then, I was shaking when I got off. I bought the picture to prove I had ridden and my hand was shaking so badly that the castmember asked if I needed help. I paid for my picture and found the nearest place to sit down. It took me about 1/2 hour to settle down. Now, I'm thankful that I did it! I thought the yeti was really cool and the effects are neat. I could really do without that backwards part. I couldn't tell if I was going up or down or around a curve and that did me in. If you are at all concerned about your reaction, don't do it right after breakfast (our mistake) and perhaps you could wait until towards the end of your day - just in case. You should try it. I'm probably the worst rider on the planet and I survived. (P.S. I love BTMRR - this was definitely more intense)

MickeysEars
07-03-2007, 01:12 PM
ok, So I can do Splash, but is not a roller coaster. I can also Big Thunder and Space, but have never done Rockin Roller coaster. I dont mind speed, it is the drops that get me. So the guestion is, how are the drops? I dont even mind the idea of going backwards. Let me know...
thanks

moe513
07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Its a little more that btm. Its not as bad as rnr. There is no big drops or loops.

mainemajor
07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Okay folks, how is the latest and greatest ride at AK? Will I be able to take it? I just about can handle Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. Was the wait long? Did you like the ride? Thanks in advance.

EE is a lot wilder than either Splash or Thunder. If you want to ride on EE ask for a seat in the middle of the train. That is where it is most tame.
The wait line will vary with time of day and when you visit. However, the line moves quickly and there is sooo much to look at as you progress through the line. When we used fast pass I almost felt cheated because we rushed through and didn't take time to enjoy all there was to see.
EE is now one of my favorite rides and can not wait to go on it again.
Don't worry about how it is. Just do it:mickey::number1:

DisneyLove06
07-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I agree with Disney-nut that this should not be classified as a family ride..LOL. Me and my sister made a pact also (like someone said before) to go on it. Even though the whole week I was calm about it, when I actually got into the FP line my heart started racing and we had mini panic attacks. lol..anyways, when it first started we were like, "this isnt too bad," until it went backwards. Thats when my sister screamed like a little girl and screamed, "I am going to kill you!" That was the only bad part about the ride I admit...I thought I was going to die because through the whole backwards thing I felt like my skull was expanding and going to explode for some reason..:confused:

The drop...I cant believe I was able to take it..I could barely take Splash Mountain. But now since ive been on Everest I feel like I can do almost any ride. lol.

But after the ride, my sisters mouth felt dry and she needed tylenol. I felt like I was completely normal and was laughing at her for needing it. Sadly, 10 minutes later I felt like collapsing and needed Tylenol. So I was the laughing stock. :blush: I guess we werent hydrated enough but it took us the day and some of the next day to get over the intensity of the aftermath of the ride. =)
I feel like I wrote a novel here, sorry. :blush:

pook@wdw
07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
It Rocks!!:rocker: I'd put it up there w/my 5 faves! I mean thru the mountains, meet the Yeti, backwards, in the dark, what's not to like?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
07-05-2007, 07:03 AM

I am not a thrill ride person but am fine on EE. I love BTMR and am OK with splash but am not crazy about the drop. There is not a steep drop like spash on EE as it is more a spiral type decension and although the EE is much faster than BTMR it is also a much smoother ride. EE has sections of the ride in the dark and a backward segment. I think the ride is beautiful, have a great appreciation for it and would not miss it when at DW.

DH are at the rope when it drops and head right over to EE first thing in the morning. We wait a bit even with that (about 15 minutes in June) and we also get a fast pass first thing in the morning so we can go back. Expect a bit of a wait in the fastpass line too.

Good luck with your decision. :mickey:

irish1967
07-05-2007, 08:16 AM
My DS (who loves SM, Splash M, BTMRR, and ToT - not tall enough for RnR) said never again...

I could handle it (and I can't handle RnR) and am glad that I did it once, but won't have any problems sitting it out with DS when we go next year.

Goofy Texan
07-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I've got a slightly off-the-wall suggestion for you. If the backwards part has you worried, take a test run before you leave. Have someone you trust drive backwards in a car (in a big, empty parking lot) as fast as they safely can. Be sure you stay facing forward. You will learn what it feels like to go backwards at speed and you'll find out if you can handle it physically or not. And, if you can handle it, you won't be surprised when you feel that feeling on the ride.

FYI: the backwards part isn't in total darkness, you can see where you've been.

Hope this helps.