PDA

View Full Version : MAC vs. PC...I need your help!

Jul
07-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Hello all! It has been a very long time since I posted. I have been reading the boards, just haven't posted. Life has been kinda crazy the past couple of years!!!

OK. My hard drive decided to crash on me yesterday. AAGGHHH!! (I am currently using an old backup laptop.) Anyway, I have been leaning towards buying a MAC and would like your advice. All of my computers have been Dells with the exception of one of DH's laptops which is a Sony Viao. I am fed up with Dell. Nothing but problems. I can also never get any support. They have been awful.

What I have been thinking about doing is getting a Mac Mini for the time being and then in about 6 months or so, getting a Mac Book Pro.

Please help! I would like to know what your experiences are. All I hear are great things about MACs and want to know if it is worth it. (DH is bent on getting the MAC, but I want to hear your advice!!!)

I thank you all for your help! :thumbsup:

MsMin
07-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Both of my girls have Apple laptops (one has an Apple and the other a PC for their home computers) and my son and I have PC's. I have a dell b/c he wanted me to have something I could get help with for repairs etc. He built his own. He's a programmer/developer and one dd is a graphic designer who does mostly web design but all of her work is by computer. Anyway, if your work or love is more graphic orientated then go Apple. If you love gaming and crunching numbers (I do a lot of stat work) then go PC. There are still many programs that are not available on Mac but mostly games and a lot of simple software for example some that disney puts out for vacation planning the mac version wasn't available yet.
So I guess my answer is more of a question (sorry) but which computer suits your needs best??

Jul
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I don't do any number crunching or gaming. I mostly use the computer for the net, iTunes and my photos. That is why I am leaning towards a MAC.

Anymore infor would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? Bueller? :D

Dracula766
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
I don't do any number crunching or gaming. I mostly use the computer for the net, iTunes and my photos. That is why I am leaning towards a MAC.

Anymore infor would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone? Bueller? :D

Then you definitely want to go with a Mac. A Mac mini is a great way to start since you can use a keyboard & monitor that you may already have. Its super small too.

Macs are super easy to use and are immune to most viruses that are out there.

I've pretty much always used apple computers so I know them really well.
I'll be happy to answer any questions/concerns that you may have. :thumbsup:

iDisney
07-03-2007, 02:56 AM
I second going the Mac route, although I will argue about the Mini. While I have one, I bought mine in the PowerPC days. The current Mac Mini is not that great of a deal. It has the "older" processors in them, as well as integrated graphics. The iMac on the other hand has a dedicated graphics card, an integrated monitor (fewer cables & less clutter), bigger hard drive, more RAM, integrated webcam (iSight) as well as a keyboard and mouse. Keep in mind that this is the $1199 model which is a difference of $600 from the base Mini, or $400 for the higher up mode Mini. I wouldn't look at the $999 model as it is almost the same as the base Mini. Plus the $1199 iMac has a Dual Layer SuperDrive (DVD Burner) that is only included in the high-end Mini. (When I bought my PowerBook I didn't think I would ever want a DVD Burner. I regretted that decision let me tell you...) While the Mini will do what you need just fine, if you can spring the money for it... I would seriously consider an iMac for longevity reasons.

Also take into consideration that MacRumors (a forum and rumor site that is not for children as obscene language is known to be used from time to time in the forums) has both models listed as "Don't Buy- Updates Soon" meaning that both the Mini and the iMac are due for updates according to previous Apple update cycles. However, if you need a computer now, and it seems like you do, you cannot go wrong buying now. You will still get a great computer either way.

I apologize if all of this is not comprehensible. It is 2:52 AM where I am and it is definitely bedtime.

BigRedDad
07-03-2007, 07:05 AM
If you are buying a new computer, there will be limitations in the PC world. All new PCs come with Windows Vista or no OS. Vista is extremely slow and I would never run it without at least 4GB of memory. Linux can run on a x386 PC faster than a dual core, 4GB system running on Vista. If you go PC either use Linux or XP.

As far as Mac's go, people swear by how easy they are to use. I would agree with them because my brother and his wife use one. They are so computer illiterate, they don't know what a keyboard is. If they can use it, then anyone can.

merlinmagic4
07-03-2007, 07:42 AM
We are loyal Mac users and love them; never any problems at all. I highly recommend them for your needs:thumbsup:

Minniemouse27
07-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I use both platforms at work (for the last 12yrs) and only have PCs at home. (2 desktops, 2 laptops and a server!)

I'm a graphic artist and actually PREFER the PC platform. I have all the "big" graphics programs on my home PC and they all work great...I see no difference between the two platforms when it comes to graphics, AT ALL.

I feel that the mac is too limited as far as software and compatibility w/ the rest of the computer world...this from personal experience working w/ people on both platforms.

I would get a new pc.

Oh and it is NOT true that you must get Vista... my dad just bought a new dell and they have models w/ XP. I know because he didn't want Vista and got one w/ XP!

Oh, and dh is a networking geek... he built both of our desktops, but highly recommends Dells all the time. I realize you've had problems w/ yours, but in dh's experience the other companies are WORSE!

Dracula766
07-03-2007, 05:59 PM
I use both platforms at work (for the last 12yrs) and only have PCs at home. (2 desktops, 2 laptops and a server!)

I'm a graphic artist and actually PREFER the PC platform. I have all the "big" graphics programs on my home PC and they all work great...I see no difference between the two platforms when it comes to graphics, AT ALL.

I feel that the mac is too limited as far as software and compatibility w/ the rest of the computer world...this from personal experience working w/ people on both platforms.

I would get a new pc.

Oh and it is NOT true that you must get Vista... my dad just bought a new dell and they have models w/ XP. I know because he didn't want Vista and got one w/ XP!

Oh, and dh is a networking geek... he built both of our desktops, but highly recommends Dells all the time. I realize you've had problems w/ yours, but in dh's experience the other companies are WORSE!

:eek: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? :jaw:
A graphic artist that actually prefers a PC???

Back when I was in school(mid 90's), one of my photo editing classes was on PC and I wasn't very happy with it.:rolleyes:

Then a few years ago, a local magazine needed an artist. I worked there for a week to see how I liked it. It was Horrible. PCs everywhere. They did all their stuff with Corel software. I'd come into my real job in the evenings happy to be working on my mac... it understands me. :alien:

anyhoo... Have you been using InDesign very much?

Clotho
07-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Former PC baby all my life. 30 years of working with PC's, and my hubby convinced me to get a Powerbook with some inheritance money we came into a few years back. I resisted mightily, but he assured me that once I played with his Powerbook, I would just want one of my own and I should go for it. I finally gave in...and I am not a full-on Mac Addict.

I am typing to you from my 24" iMac I bought last year, and I could NOT be happier. Macs are so intuitive, so robust, and the old "Mac compatibility and software" arguments just don't ring as true any more. I have had pretty much NO issues, and I am a gamer myself, and have a couple programs I need which run on PC's only...for which I have Parallels--a third party program which allows you to run a PC desktop on your Mac. There is a few modes you can run --one takes over your desktop entirely converting it to an XP environment, but my favorite is coherence mode, where I can have Mac and PC windows running side-by side, with full drag-n-drop capability between them. You have to see it to believe it. You can run most Windows programs on a far more stable and reliable Mac now.

And new Macs from with BootCamp. So if you don't want to invest the $70 in Parallels, you can use the free software that comes with your Mac which allows for dual booting between a Mac and PC environment. I have never used it, since i have Paralells, but I hear great things about it.

When I first got my Mac, I was so confused. I struggled a little. Why? Because it was SO SIMPLE. I know that sounds ridiculous, but everything was sooo simple and easy to do, I kept overthinking them and making it harder on myself. As soon as I relaxed and let common sense take over, and drop my 30 years of Microsoft conditioning, it was simple as could be.

One last endorsement: my DH's grandfather is a ripe old 85 years old, and it takes a bit to teach the old dog new tricks. SO when he wanted a new computer, we pushed him to switch to the far more stable and intuitive Mac. He wasn't interested in trying something new. But we invited him over to meet my new computer, and in the course of a couple of hours of showing him all the capabilities, he bought one for himself AND for hubby's mother, so we could all be on Macs. :)

Hubby is an IT Manager specializing in UNIX/LINUX systems. He runs a Linux box in his office, but his dream has to get a Mac tower. But since he has been seeing me play with my iMac, he is thinking he will get that instead. It's true that the rumors say a new version is coming out any day now. I think that is likely pushed out from projections due to the focus on the iPhones. But by fall I would expect the next generation to pipe up, on both iMac and the Mini. Wait a little if you can. If not, I can vouch that THIS generation of iMac is meeting all my needs and then some!

mtown71
07-03-2007, 08:16 PM
i used to have PCs until I bought an eMac on a whim. I LOVE IT!!!! It is very easy to use & I have never had any problems with it. I just need to update it since it is an old one now. I use PCs at work & I tolerate them. I would be happier with either.

Minniemouse27
07-03-2007, 10:20 PM
:eek: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????? :jaw:
A graphic artist that actually prefers a PC???

Back when I was in school(mid 90's), one of my photo editing classes was on PC and I wasn't very happy with it.:rolleyes:

Then a few years ago, a local magazine needed an artist. I worked there for a week to see how I liked it. It was Horrible. PCs everywhere. They did all their stuff with Corel software. I'd come into my real job in the evenings happy to be working on my mac... it understands me. :alien:

anyhoo... Have you been using InDesign very much?
Just because I'm a graphic artist that prefers a PC..doesn't mean I'm a Corel fan! Can't stand it... jack of all trades, master of none!

Yes I use InDesign daily! Originally I trained in Quark and used it for a while but once creative suite came out I switched and haven't looked back.

My last job (was there 10+yrs) was pretty much the Wild Wild West when it came to computers and software...everyone got whatever they wanted. When all was said and done, the place was about 50/50 mac/pc. But everything was an incompatibility nightmare and 95% of the time it was because of the mac (or the user of said mac who had NO idea what he/she was doing). Oh, and varying software options weren't all that much fun either!

I specialize in display of scientific data... so I routinely work w/ information from both platforms. I just find the pc to be more consistent w/ the data and it "plays well with others" better than the mac does.

I work in a "mac" shop now...but for communicating w/ the rest of the company and data transfer we need pcs so we all have both! :ack: So I spend my day switching back and forth between platforms.

I am much happier on the pc at work or home. I basically switch over to my mac to do what I need to then come back to the pc as much as I can!

c&d
07-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Have always been a PC person until I got my digital camera. My PC was driving me crazy so I got a MACbook. I'm now a convert, it's been so easy use and making movies and dvd's for family of our vacations has been wonderful.