PDA

View Full Version : "Semi-Live" from the Left Coast

Maleficent's Dad
06-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Okay, today is Saturday, and I'm in Malibu listening to the waves crash behind me. The sun is on its journey towards the horizon as it's late in the afternoon here on the West Coast. About three hours ago, we were in CA and DLPark.

A little background: My family (DW, DS (8), DD (6), and DMIL) all flew out from the Right Side on Wednesday morning. We have a beach house in Malibu, so this is home to us for most of the summer and our home base for DL trips.

We tried some new experiences this year - (1) we're NOT taking any "day trips" this year (a 45 minute ride sans traffic), (2) we will take a few days and stay "off site" in Anaheim (taboo if you ask me...), and (3) we'll try the DL Hotel this year (I was the one who swore I'd only stay at the GC).

We'll head to the DL hotel for July 3-5 next week (GREAT AP rate). So I'll update later next week (or soon thereafter) on the fourth celebrations! :flag:

On Thursday, we awoke early (still being on NY time) and drove to Anaheim. We valet parked at the GC and had b'fast at Story Teller's Cafe. (FYI: For each meal you eat at Story Teller's, they'll give you 5 hours of free valet parking - up to 10 hours in one day!) It's early, so we get in line for DLP (I still call it the MK!).

Okay folks, here's where things get downright scary!

When the gates open, and they start letting folks in, people actually forget that they are human beings. :( It becomes a "free-for-all" with grown adults, teens, children, and grandparents (yes, you read that correctly) all sprinting towards NEMO. UGH! Nemo, as a word, has become synonymous with Satan in my household. It's scary, folks. I saw no fewer than 5 cast members pushed aside and ignored as they tried to 'slow the crowds.' It was as if there was an uncontrollable riot on hand - people were CRAZED, all running to Nemo. :crying: :cry:

Now folks, I've been part of the rope drops at the MK, MGM, EPCOT, AK, even in the West at both parks. Sure I've "walked quickly" towards Soarin', I've quickened the pace towards TOT at MGM, I've been among the first guests to ride EE at the AK... I have NEVER in my life - EVER - seen anything like this Nemo fever. :dory: And to be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

For starters, the guests are completely out of control - rude, obnoxious, and crazed. They aren't paying any attention to the CM's and to be frank - It's creating a DANGEROUS situation.

Also - Disney needs to better 'police' the situation. They're allowing this chaos to happen. My kids were petrified - and they are used to Disney parks, openings, and crowds!

Okay, that's off my chest. :soapbox: And for those wondering, NO - I did not ride Nemo. I had no desire to deal with it. I'm hoping that next week when I'm on site, I will get a better opportunity to do so! :hide2:

And to say this - the ride does look really cool! ;)

(Continued Below!)

Maleficent's Dad
06-30-2007, 10:34 PM
...(Continued)

So we spent 3 days in the two parks. I'm happy to report that we did get on almost every single attraction with two notable exceptions: Nemo and the Aladdin show.

FP is an excellent system on the West Coast - it doesn't seem to run out so early!!! I guess that California lifestyle is so much more laid back!!! People don't rush like they do on the east coast. So between the FP system, good planning, and getting in early, we were able to conquer all that we wanted. Now the Fourth of July will be a piece of cake (except that danged Nemo Ride!!! :bang:).

We were definitely able to take in more of the atmosphere and the parks. A few quick things of note:
CA is never - and I mean NEVER - as crowded as DLP.
SM and Pirates are so noticeably different (and better) than their East Coast counterparts, that even my DD (6) could notice. SM is the favorite attraction for the family, in fact. DS still loves California Screamin', and DD loves Mulholland Madness :ack:, but SM is the tops.

Our kids love the fact that there are so many "different rides" in Disneyland. They love Mr. Toad, Alice, and Pinocchio. They also love much of CA - including Mike & Sulley to the Rescue.

I still don't think the food at DL is satisfactory - lots and lots of CS... and lots and lots of junk... but we did find some highlights - Wine Trattoria was new for us this year and very good. DTD had some nice surprises - the Jazz Kitchen place was a great lunch one day. For the most part, for good grub, we've found that leaving the parks is the best bet. Sorry to disappoint, but we find Blue Bayou just plain awful (2 years in a row now). The DL Hotel, GC, and DTD more than make up for it however. It's just a hassle leaving the parks for good food. :unsure:

If anyone has any particular questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites - South Anaheim. Overall, pleased with the accomodations - good sized rooms, clean, free b'fast. They have a $3 shuttle for DL that gives adults all the rides they want to and from the park (children are free). It's about a 10 minute ride and the bus comes every 20 minutes. I daresay it's almost (if not as) convenient as the WDW bus service...

My highlights of the trip:
TOT - Love this ride in DL's CA. That "Mirror Effect" is amazing...

Grizzly River - DW and I got soaked... She was not happy, but it was loads of fun and my kids laughter was something to behold.

Main Street - It's still got a "lot of Walt" left in it in California. Unlike WDW where it's one large tee-shirt shop... :(

Pirates - always been my favorite ride in WDW, and now even moreso in DL.

TTFN - I'll give more details after the July 4 trip. Here I come Disneyland Hotel! :mickey:

Melanie
06-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Great report! I have so many similar feelings as you do. Can't wait to hear about your holiday experience. Enjoy the DLH - it's wonderful (and I hope you get the Bonita Tower :) ).

BrerGnat
07-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Sounds like a great time so far! We'll be there on Thursday the 5th, so maybe we'll run into you!

I agree on the Nemo thing. I've been there two mornings since it's been open and it's ridiculous! I go with my 15 month old while my older DS is in a therapy group for 4 hours in the mornings on Mon and Fri (for autism). It gives me and the little one some very seldom experienced time alone together.

Since Nemo opened, I am literally SCARED to enter via the main gate when I arrive at opening time. I get scared just seeing the MASS of people waiting outside the gate and I know that once that rope drops, it will just become choas! I take the monorail, because I really feel that things can just spiral out of control and I don't want to be caught up in the middle of it, with a baby and a stroller, etc.

At this point, I will just wait on Nemo until I can find a time to go by myself, in the LATE evening. I hear the last few hours of the night are the time to get in line for Nemo. Most people are gone by then. If you're staying on property, take a nap one day and head back to DL and stay until midnight to ride Nemo. I have heard it is a GREAT ride experience at night after dark.

ChipnDaleGal
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
WOW, that Nemo stuff is scary. I will be out in Disneyland at the end of the month and was certainly hoping to get at least one ride in on Nemo. But I don't want to get caught up in a scary mob rush like you described. Otherwise, it sounds like you had a nice time. I hope you enjoy your stay at the Disneyland Hotel next month. I can't wait to stay there again. :mickey:

ChipDale
07-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the "live" report! :)

Like Donna, I'll be at Disneyland at the end of the month. The Nemo rush sounds scary and miserable - I will be skipping it if that's what riding it entails. :eek:

Wow, I didn't know that they were offering great AP rates at the Disneyland Hotel during this holiday week - good for you! I love the Disneyland Hotel! :mickey:

I would love to hear more about your experiences!

Carol
07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Great report. Looking forward to reading about your views on the Disneyland Hotel.

Like Donna, I'll be at Disneyland at the end of the month. The Nemo rush sounds scary and miserable - I will be skipping it if that's what riding it entails. :eek:
Me three. I am not throwing myself into that mix. I'll take a look during Early Entry. If it's anything like you described - I'll pass. :unsure:

Maleficent's Dad
07-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, I didn't know that they were offering great AP rates at the Disneyland Hotel during this holiday week - good for you! I love the Disneyland Hotel! :mickey:
Jane,
At least I think it's "great." We got the DH for $200 per night during July 4th - I expected to pay a lot more.

We called a few months ago to book it. Not sure it it matters, but we have Premium AP's.

I was pretty happy with the rate. :mickey:

Carol
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
That is a good rate. We didn't pay much less than that in November for an AP rate. I didn't think they offered them during the summer months - so opted to use my DVC points. Rack rates for the week would have been just shy of $3,000. I didn't want to take a chance and not be able to get in with points - so I went with that option. I'm always quick to jump the gun. It makes me anxious to wait. I do the same thing for air fare. :silly:

Lizzie
07-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a great time.