PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay a travel agent?

mulderxcoltrane
06-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Question:
I teach and during my summers off, I decided to start helping people book vacations (primarily to WDW). My question is - since I"ve never charged for this before - how much do/would you folks pay an independent agent to book a trip (WDW or otherwise)?

TammiMcMan
06-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Are you talking about being independent through an agency? If so, you'd probably be working off commissions through that agency. Not that I know the travel industry that well, but I would think that unless you're affiliated with an IATA accredited agency, you probably wouldn't have access to a lot of the inside information. For example, the girls over at Magical Journeys always seem to be the first to know about discounts and other special packages. It sounds like maybe you'd be more of a travel consultant or trip planner, but not necessarily able to get the best airfares or hotel discounts. In that case, your fee would be contingent on your experience. I did IT consulting before I went into education and I can tell you that I was very knowledgeable in my field and that was reflected in the fee I charged.

Unfortunately, if you're just coming with an enthusiasm for planning, but a lack of an IATA accreditation and no "degree" from the College of Disney Knowledge, I'd have to pass you by.

mulderxcoltrane
07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Unfortunately, if you're just coming with an enthusiasm for planning, but a lack of an IATA accreditation and no "degree" from the College of Disney Knowledge, I'd have to pass you by.

Of course someone one these boards would use and agent. But this person has no idea where to begin - so I'd book her trip for her. Intercot or various websites always have the same codes a travel agent would - and since this person has never been to Disney - she came to me to her her find deals, hotels rooms, ticket ideas, etc.

DizneyRox
07-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Be advised, once you start charging for services, you are a responsible party. If something goes wrong, expect a call (and I'd call and expect resolution at any time of the day/night/etc.)

If it's a friend, then you don't charge for these types of services. If it's someone you don't really know, then forward them on to a real agent. You don't want the headaches associated with a problem they might encounter.

mulderxcoltrane
07-01-2007, 01:59 PM
This question wasn't meant to turn into such a headache. Please delete/disregard this post.

TammiMcMan
07-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Of course someone on these boards would use an agent. But this person has no idea where to begin - so I'd book her trip for her. Intercot or various websites always have the same codes a travel agent would - and since this person has never been to Disney - she came to me to her her find deals, hotels rooms, ticket ideas, etc.You're right, most codes are public, however travel agents do seem to have an inside track that we don't. I've had agents apply discount codes the second they become available as opposed to waiting for them to be published and getting in line with every other casual person calling in. I also know that when booking flights, agents do not go through the normal routes like Expedia or Travelocity. They are able to access someplace that supplies faster and more detailed information. There are usually special phone numbers reserved for accredited agents.

I'm the first one to admit that I love helping people plan their Disney trips. It's probably why I spend so much time on INTERCOT :secret:. I've directed friends, family and newbies here on where to find the best information, but I certainly would not want to be the one person ultimately responsible for their entire vacation. If my experience consisted of being knowledgeable on these boards and frequent trips to Disney, but I lacked any training in the travel industry and was not accredited, I would not be advertising myself as an agent. Maybe trip planner or travel consultant, but I imagine that you are still obligated to insure yourself and everything else that goes along with starting up a business, even if the business is only you.

I don't know the situation of how this person came to you. Did she offer to pay you or ask outright what you would charge? If so, I would go back to my original statement that you should only charge based on your education and experience in this field. It's not much different than taking a salary... companies typically have a pay scale for entry level jobs, all the way up to senior management degrees. In this case, with nothing behind you, I'd have to say that you would qualify as entry level.

I don't mean to come off as harsh in my post, I hope you don't take it that way. It's just that taking responsibilty for a familes vacation, especially someplace as magical and expensive as Disney, is much different than offering friendly advice and suggestions.

mulderxcoltrane
07-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the advice. I never implied that I would be advertising myself as an agent nor would I ever try without proper certification. The person in question simply said, "I'll pay you for your troubles - just let me know how much you'd ask." So - I thought I'd check here.

TammiMcMan
07-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. I never implied that I would be advertising myself as an agent nor would I ever try without proper certification.I apoligize, I guess I must have read too much into your first post when you asked what someone would pay an independent agent.

mulderxcoltrane
07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I apoligize, I guess I must have read too much into your first post when you asked what someone would pay an independent agent.

No harm, no foul.

crazypoohbear
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I would tell the person that you will charge by the hour. Maybe 10.00 per hour. Ideally it shouldn't take you too long to book things for your frlend.