PDA

View Full Version : Best Rock Group?

A Foolish Mortal
06-30-2007, 08:31 PM
What is the best rock group you've ever heard? If you could, could you name a few songs to go along with the group?? I"m trying to fill up my iTunes playlist. :)

My favorite group is the Who. You haven't heard music if you haven't heard Baba O'Riley or Behind Blue Eyes. Great songs.

My close second would be Queen!

Christine
06-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Only Rock, huh?

def lepard- love bites, foolin', rock of ages

led zeppelin- kashmir, black dog, whole lotta love

journey- lovin', touchin' squeezing- faithfully

U2- bullet the blue sky, beautiful day, vertigo, love is blindness, one

the last two may be questionable as to how "rock" ish they are, but I like 'em! :thumbsup:

Have fun! It makes me laugh to think how much money and time I spent making mix tapes when I was in high school in the 80's...why didn't we have ipods??? :pout:

ChipnDaleGal
06-30-2007, 09:01 PM
I love a lot of bands, but my favorite all around rock band is Def Leppard! They are the total package for me. Second runner up would be Cheap Trick.

cetacean01
06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
The Cure - Fascination Street:thumbsup:

Christine
06-30-2007, 09:06 PM
I love a lot of bands, but my favorite all around rock band is Def Leppard! They are the total package for me. Second runner up would be Cheap Trick.

Oooooo, I love Cheap Trick! The "at budokan" CD is wonderful!!! Mmmmmm, Robin Zander!! :tasty:

Speedy1998
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Aerosmith!!!

RedSoxFan
06-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I can't pick just one rock band. My favs: Def Leppard; Bon Jovi; Foreigner; Firehouse; Warrant; Poison; Boston; Aerosmith just to name a few.

Tinkerbell627
06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
Aerosmith!!!

Couldn't have said it any better. ;)

Although I'm a huge Aerosmith fan, I have to honor Led Zeppelin as my favorite rock group. The Who is a close second as well. "Behind Blue Eyes" is hard to beat.

And we can't forget the Beatles. And the Stones. And Pink Floyd. Grateful Dead. The Doors. You've got a wide variety for your iTunes playlist!

As for individual songs:
"Going to California" is my favorite Zeppelin song. "Black Dog" and "Whole Lotta Love" aren't far behind. And "Stairway to Heaven" is a masterpiece, of course.
For Aerosmith, I really like "Livin' on the Edge" and "Jaded".

Rock on!

MickeyAD
06-30-2007, 10:51 PM
They're not the most "rock" band out there, but I love Barenaked Ladies! I couldn't choose a favorite song of theirs. As far as true rock goes, I'd say Aerosmith tops my list with "Love in an Elevator" and "Walk this Way" being my most favorite songs of theirs. I also love The Who ("Baba O Riley" is awesome). U2 is one of the best. I'm a Mellencamp and Springsteen fan. Foo Fighters and Stone Temple Pilots are great. I like Collective Soul and Big Head Todd and the Monsters. The Dave Matthews Band is excellent! As far as modern rock goes, I'm a big Maroon 5 and O.A.R. fan. I also like Green Day. So, as you can see, I'm not really much of a rock fan ;). But, to answer the question, Barenaked Ladies are my favorite rock/alternative band. And Aerosmith is my favorite true, classic rock band.

pogo
06-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Grand Funk Railroad "Inside Lookin' out". I'm your Captain", "Mean Misstreater"

Edger Winter Group "Frankenstein" !

Spencer Davis Group "Give me some lovin"

Vanilla Fudge "Keep me hanging on"

Download and enjoy ! :D

Sunshine1010
07-01-2007, 12:54 AM
It sounds like everyone is in the same age-group as me.

My favorites:
Journey
Foreigner
ELO
Fleetwood Mac
Prince (yep, I said Prince ---- the old stuff)
The Eagles
Little River Band
Coldplay
Seal
Sarah McLaughlin
The Doobie Brothers
Styx
.......gosh, the list goes on and on and on

Ian
07-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Well if I had to pick just one it would be U2, no question. They have very few songs that I don't like.

Other favorites include The Doors, The Beatles, Guns -n- Roses, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Queen, Genesis, The Who, The Stones, REO Speedwagon, Journey, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Eagles, AC/DC, Green Day, Billy Joel, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, CCR, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac ...

Hmmm ... that's a lot of favorites ....

Jeff
07-01-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm an old school rock guy.

My favorites are:
U2
Rolling Stones
Kinks (especially Low Budget)
Who
Aerosmith
Rush

More Popish:
Beatles
ELO
Doobies
Eagles

I used to really like Led Zepplin but, for me, their music has not aged well. It seems too ponderous to me now.

kakn7294
07-01-2007, 08:48 AM
My fav is a local Pittsburgh band - the Clarks. If I have to pick someone everybody knows, it's AC/DC and Aerosmith.

Ian
07-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I used to really like Led Zepplin but, for me, their music has not aged well. It seems too ponderous to me now.I totally agree ... notice I left them off my list? I cringe every time I hear a Zep song nowadays.

Because, #1 I agree that they haven't aged well, and #2 because they are all so played out. For decades you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing Stairway to Heaven, or Black Dog, or Rock and Roll, or Goin' to California, or Over the Hills and Far Away, or Kashimir, or ...

Well ... you get the idea!

BluewaterBrad
07-01-2007, 05:52 PM
Van Halen, Boston, Aerosmith, Molly Hatchett!!:mickey::mickey:

Christine
07-01-2007, 06:57 PM
I used to really like Led Zepplin but, for me, their music has not aged well. It seems too ponderous to me now.

I totally agree ... notice I left them off my list? I cringe every time I hear a Zep song nowadays.

:eek: Blasphemy! ;)

RAIDER
07-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band ....
Their the best band ive ever seen live

followed by

Queen and Aerosmith :thumbsup:

Caroleh
07-02-2007, 05:55 AM
Here's a few of mine:

CCR(Credence Clearwater Revival)
The Doors
Nickleback
The Who
The Rolling Stones
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Pink Floyd
Cheap Trick
Boston
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Eric Clapton-also in every group he was in
Bachman Turner Overdrive
Bob Segar
From the 70's I love Joe Walsh-Rocky Mountian Way
John Stewart-Gold and Midnight Wind(Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac played back-ups)

Wolf
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
You've already covered Queen, so Journey-dont stop believing! Is deffinantly #1 after that. A few old Bon Jovi songs and old Metallica

Mom to a Princess and a Prince
07-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Old school - Boston and Van Halen.

Newer school - Green Day.

Current school - Maroon 5.

LarryBoy
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
The greatest band I have ever heard live is most definately U2. I've seen them in concert four times. I can still hear them opening The Joshua Tree tour with Where the Streets Have No Name. I still get chills when I hear that deep organ note followed by the Edge's guitar. :drummer: :rocker:

I've seen lot's of good bands mentioned so far but not much southern rock. So don't forget The Alman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynrd, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, just to name a few.

DisneyDog
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Genesis, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Van Halen (really prefer Sammy over Dave), Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers (if you aren't from Philly you might not have heard of them) Hooters (same deal), Pink Floyd, Firehouse (my wedding song was "Love of a lifetime"), CCR, Fleetwood Mac, Joan Jett, The Who, Styx... I could go on and on and on...

Dracula766
07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
One of the most influential bands that have recieved the least recognition are definitely the RAMONES! :rocker:

And for those that like heavier darker music, the Misfits. :bat:

but then again I'm kinda strange

LibertyTreeGal
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
What? No one likes the Scorpions?

I am really fond of "Boyz in the Sink" -- Bellybutton is an unforgettable song.... you haven't lived until you've been serenaded by a gourd....

PirateLover
07-03-2007, 12:47 AM
I

I totally agree ... notice I left them off my list? I cringe every time I hear a Zep song nowadays.

:eek: Blasphemy! ;)

I loved Led Zep up until about a week ago when I heard that they ripped off almost every single song on their first album from other artists and even pretty much stole the infamous intro to Stairway to Heaven from a band they had toured with. I was astounded to hear this guy play the originals and then play the Zeppelin songs. It really disgusted me. If you don't believe this is true, take a look at the songwriting credits on their latest Greatest Hits package and you'll notice all these weird names being credited. Had they credited these writers from the beginning I still think they would've been just as successful, but to portray a work as your own when it isn't is just sleazy.

As for my favorite bands, I go with Beatles and Guns N' Roses, and agree with Raider that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is probably the best live show I've ever seen.

Jeff
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
#2 because they are all so played out. For decades you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing Stairway to Heaven, or Black Dog, or Rock and Roll, or Goin' to California, or Over the Hills and Far Away, or Kashimir, or ...

Well ... you get the idea!

Well said Ian.
I didn't put one Zep song on my Ipod (yes - a dinosaur has pulled himself out of the tar pit and entered the digital age) and I plan on taking all of my Zep CD's into a local music store to get credits to exchange them for something I may listen to.

Looking at others lists I realize I left at least 2 bands off I would put on my list:
Bruce and the ESB - especially the Thunder Road and before period.
Cheap Trick

Mr. Tom Morrow
07-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Best concert I've been to is Oasis. I noticed most people are choosing "old rock" but there are a lot of newer bands out there that are really good. This weekend I am going to see one of my favorites>> Rise Against:rocker:

alpro2
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
One of the most influential bands that have recieved the least recognition are definitely the RAMONES!
That is a very true statement. The Ramones have influence many a bands.

As for my favorite, my avatar says it all (in case you didn't recognize The Edge's sparkly jeans)....U2. I find myself playing music from their first album as much as their latest. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
The Kinks
The Ramones
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire

Growing up my parents listened to Neil Diamond, ELO, the Eagles and The Bee Gees -- so you could probably get me with music by any of them as well... :secret:

Sunshine1010
07-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Off the subject.....did anyone's parents listen to Roger Whitaker?....my mom loved him. And I grew up listening to his music.

LibertyTreeGal
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Off the subject.....did anyone's parents listen to Roger Whitaker?....my mom loved him. And I grew up listening to his music.

Oh yes, that man has the smoothest voice, and his whistling is divine...

"For you are beautiful, and I have loved you dearly, more dearly than spoken words can tell..."

or something like that. *sigh* I'm just shy of 38 and my parents listened to him faithfully in the 70's.

Sunshine1010
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
My mother passed away 2 years ago and I kept his tapes. She used to sing his songs all the time. I actually put one of his cassette tapes in my little boys room to see if he liked the music. he he (he hasn't put it on yet)...

But yes.......Roger has a VERY smooth voice. And I forgot about his whislting. It was awesome.

Horizon93
07-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Darkness tour, 1978, Spectrum in Philly. And the guy still rocks!

Babyboo875
07-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Aerosmith - Pink, Cryin, Don't wanna miss a thing, walk this way

Nickelback - Rockstar, Far Away, Some Day

tinkerbelle75
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I can't believe nobody said The Cult!!!:confused:
here's my list:
The Cult-anything from any album, but for starters,try Electric
Aerosmith-anything from Permanent Vacation or Toys in the Attic
Guns-N-Roses-the entire Appetite album
Billy Squier
Led Zeppelin-ZOSO album
The Sex Pistols-Flogging a Dead Horse album
Black Crowes-Shake Your Money Maker album
Drivin-N-Cryin-Fly Me Courageous album
Metallica-anything before the "Black "Album:ack:

The Reservoir Dog
07-09-2007, 04:30 AM
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND.
Without doubt the graetest live performer ever.

Forget those who put on these lavish stage performence with their many costume changes, bright lights and lasers etc.

Here we see a performer who plays for the audience. Good old raw Rock n Roll, wether it be a small bar or a large arena.

Also Led Zeppelin (what are you on about Ian?)

Aerosmith

The Who

The Rolling Stones - however not made a good album since Ronnie Wood joined the band.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2007, 08:40 AM
The Kinks
The Ramones
Green Day
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire

Growing up my parents listened to Neil Diamond, ELO, the Eagles and The Bee Gees -- so you could probably get me with music by any of them as well... :secret:
I can't believe I forgot The Clash -- Joe Strummer rules! :rocker:

Jeff
07-09-2007, 08:49 AM
The Rolling Stones - however not made a good album since Ronnie Wood joined the band.

I think "Some Gills" and "Tattoo You" are both excellent Stones records. "Emotional Rescue" and "Bridges to Babylon" also both have some great songs.

LarryBoy
07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I can't believe nobody said The Cult!!!:confused:
here's my list:
The Cult-anything from any album, but for starters,try Electric
Aerosmith-anything from Permanent Vacation or Toys in the Attic
Guns-N-Roses-the entire Appetite album
Billy Squier
Led Zeppelin-ZOSO album
The Sex Pistols-Flogging a Dead Horse album
Black Crowes-Shake Your Money Maker album
Drivin-N-Cryin-Fly Me Courageous album
Metallica-anything before the "Black "Album:ack:

Good to see another Drivin N Cryin fan. I thought only Atlantans liked them, but maybe it's a southern thang. By the way you can't find much DNC on iTunes. Fly Me Courageous might be, but my favorite Mystery Road is not. I had to search for weeks to find it on CD recently, already had Fly Me Courageous on CD. My tape of Mystery Road finally wore out, and I haven't owned at tape player for several years.

ytzking
07-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Without a doubt, Queen, with Freddie, is the best band I've ever seen live, ( I guess I'm dating myself). RUSH is a close second.

Stan
07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I don't have anything to add to this list, except to say...

If Walk this Way or Dude Looks Like a Lady or Sweet Emotion doesn't make your head and stomach start churning... :sick: you obviously haven't ridden RRC enough !!! :cool:

pedro2112
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Gee... I wonder who my favorite band is????

Jeff
07-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Gee... I wonder who my favorite band is????

After reading your post I decided it was time to put some more Rush on my Ipod. Thanks for the nudge - some truely great rock songs there.

GBBT
07-14-2007, 08:31 PM
I have Sirius so I listen to Rock(HairNation,Lithium,Octane),but my fav is COLLECTIVE SOUL:Shine,December,World I Know,Better Now.I've listened to them for 12 years.If you haven't seen them,they put on a tremendous show:rocker::drummer:.They usually come on about 9:00 p.m. and rock for 2-3 hours then have a meet and greet after the show.The DW and I never miss a show when they're in Myrtle Beach.3 years ago during New Years we were at Disney World and stayed an extra couple of days to see them at HOB.Yeah,they're my fav.:joy:

JRocker
07-15-2007, 03:36 AM
50's
Bill Haley

60's
Beach Boys
Ventures

70's
Aerosmith
Beach Boys
Alice Cooper
Boston
Eagles

80's
Beach Boys
Aerosmith
Bon Jovi
Motley Crue
Poison
Warrant
and countless other bands with big hair, screaming guitars, and awesome drums.

90's
Beach Boys
Bon Jovi
Aerosmith
Foo Fighters
Type O Negative

00's
Brian Wilson
Bon Jovi
Aerosmith
Hinder
Nickleback
Velvet Revolver

But I guess...if I had to break it down to a favorite.....Beach Boys.
And Bon Jovi

and Aerosmith

and Nickleback

and Poison

and

oh, never mind