PDA

View Full Version : Something New

Lizzie
06-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Is anyone going to do something on their next trip that they always thought that they would avoid?

We are going out to Rafiki's planet watch at the AK and go to the petting zoo.
My husband and I never understood the point of it but now that we have kids and see how much they love animals we are looking forward to taking them there.

joelkfla
06-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Try to get to Rafiki's in the morning, and you have a good chance of observing an interesting veterinary procedure in the on-stage exam room.

MMouse6937
06-30-2007, 08:47 PM
We're going to really explore Chester and Hesters in AK. Now I know there is a thread here about how most people can't stand it, but I listened to my Disney podcast the other day and they went through the back story of this area of the park so I am very interested to check it out with that perspective.

Btw, we like Rafiki's, it's very interesting. There's some little monkeys on the walkway to the building that are the coolest, cutest monkeys I have ever seen. Have a great time!! :mickey:

LoriMistress
06-30-2007, 08:50 PM
We're doing a lot more " something new" on our December trip:

Going to see Cirque du Soleil.
Having ADRs (rarely eating CT).
Going Resort Hopping and checking out the Christmas Decorations.
Going to MVMCP.
Eating at CRT.
Eating at Artist Point and The Dining Room at Wolfgang Puck's. (Both have to dress business casual.)
Taking afternoon breaks from the parks.
Watching a lot more shows since we'll be on vacation longer.
Watching the Night Water Pageant Show.
Eating at Raglan's Road.

I'm sure there are more activities that we're doing that will be new, but I just cannot remember them at this time.

gardenia
06-30-2007, 09:18 PM
You'll love it. My kids are "big" (two are teens) and they LOVE IT. It's all very educational, too, in keeping with the general theme of Animal Kingdom.

dolphinmickey9170
06-30-2007, 11:38 PM
We've never been to flights of wonder because I am petrified (Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS) of birds. Maybe someone can tell me about it so I won't freak out. Do they swarm or land on or near you? No dive bombing for me.

We had a little parakeet and it got out of its cage, and it flew all over my living room. I just hit the deck and covered my head. My DD did the same thing and it landed on her behind. It was funny, but I was shaking. I just don't like birds.

Amy_617
06-30-2007, 11:50 PM
We've never been to flights of wonder because I am petrified (Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS) of birds. Maybe someone can tell me about it so I won't freak out. Do they swarm or land on or near you? No dive bombing for me.

We had a little parakeet and it got out of its cage, and it flew all over my living room. I just hit the deck and covered my head. My DD did the same thing and it landed on her behind. It was funny, but I was shaking. I just don't like birds.

This is actually a really good show. I liked it. When you go into the area...look to the back. There are bleacher type seatting. From the stage...to those bleachers is were the birds fly. There is a cast member there to send them flying back up to the front. Also, they ask for a guest to stand up and hold a dollar bill in their hand. The bird flys to the guest and land...then takes the dollar bill back up to the cast member on the stage. There is not really any telling where the guest that will be picked will be located at. I would recommend you sit about half way on the floor seats ALL the way to your left as you are walking in. This should be a good area for birds not to fly right over your head. It is a really good show though....I'll bet you will really like it.

chick20679
07-01-2007, 07:01 AM
We always go out to Rafiki's planet watch! We never miss the "rainforest soundbooths". They're VERY cool!!! (may be too intense for little ones, but they can always just take off the headphones).

Gotta Love Eeyore
07-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks forthe good info Amy_617! I share the same fear as dolphinmickey9170 so I have never taken my kids to this show. Maybe we can try it this year for one of our "new" things! :thumbsup:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-01-2007, 10:53 AM
We are planning on taking a couple of mid day breaks during our trip this year for the first time. Don't tell the kids. :secret:;)

We are also avoiding all of the TS except Akershus for DD. We usually have a ton of ADR's, this year only one.

The the original OP, My kids love Rafiki's Planet Watch. They would spend hours there. The rainforest booths are so cool. The last two times we went the talking palm tree was wandering around, that was cute. It is a really nice and quiet area. Your kids will love it.:mickey:

jedi jen
07-01-2007, 10:59 AM
New things we are going to try are:

Rafiki's
Flights of Wonder
R&C for Illuminations
more time at the pool (well . . . we'll see)
Test Trak
Universe of Energy (I saw the old one, but not the new)
San Angel Inn for dinner
Chef Mickey's

Disney4
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
We are going to try a tour this time out. I signed us up for behind the seeds, with a lunch in the Garden Grill afterwards.

If this one is likable, I will probably do some more in-depth tours.

ghost999
07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
let's see: 50's and wolfgang puck are two of the new restaurants but we are doing some other stuff also.:mickey:

tinksmom02
07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
All our ADRs, except LeCellier, are new.

The plan is to hit a park (MGM) on arrival day; usually we hang at DTD.

I've left a whole day open for AK (not that I think we'll need it); last trip, we just headed over for a couple hours, to kill time before heading to the airport.

Surprising DD with a trip to BBB.

You know what? Last trip, I thought we had done so much, and seen so much, then I come onto these boards and realized: We did see so much, but we missed so much, too! So I want to try and get to some of that "other stuff!"

Zippy_D_DooDah
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
We are going to try a tour this time out. I signed us up for behind the seeds, with a lunch in the Garden Grill afterwards.

If this one is likable, I will probably do some more in-depth tours.

I love Garden Grill! The farm raised catfish grown right there in The Land is what keeps me coming back for more. That is the only re-peat restaraunt for our September trip.

I also made ADR's for Crystal Palace (never been in all these years), and Whispering Canyon (went once several years ago and loved it. I could never get a table while walking up on recent trips, so we decided to ADR it this time). Can't wait to ask for Ketchup.

I'm also looking forward to the Little One's EMH (never been this time of year). I have 2 DD (3 & 1) and know that I will love this as much as they do.

CaptSmee
07-02-2007, 12:10 AM
I have nothing left that I "avoid". My sister still has Rockin' Rollercoaster to overcome, she rode Mission Space last trip after saying she never would and enjoyed it so now i'm working on RNR with her!:thedolls:

snifflesmcg
07-02-2007, 12:51 AM
My BF and I covered SOOOO much in the 7 days we were there last year, there isn't much we didn't explore. This is our list of new to do's

~Biergarten
~Chef's De France
~Ohana's
~Spirit of Aloha
~Spend more time in the (Living) Seas (or whatever it's called now) & see the new Nemo ride
~Mickey's Jammin Jungle Parade
~Nemo the musical
~Main St vehicles (can you belive, 6 trips and I've never done this one)
~Relax more and stop rushing. I booked a few extra days so I don't feel rushed the whole week.

avantgardeinker
07-02-2007, 09:10 AM
We don't usually go to Tom Sawyer's Island, but we're heading out there this trip. We're afraid the rumors of the Pirate's rehab will be true and we'll never get to see it as Tom Sawyer's again.

157 more days!!
:mickey:

LandFan
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Something new...hmmm...

We are doing:
the kitchen tour at AKL
Jiko
Cali Grill
Coral Reef
Yak & Yeti
astro-orbiters
tom sawyer's island
Laugh floor comedy club
turtle talk
main st vehicles
new SE earth
Nemo ride and musical
new Mexico ride
Impressions de France
new Canada film
Osborne lights
christmas stories around the world
Gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian
and more!!!

Whew - we've got a lot to do!:D

k_reile
07-02-2007, 11:51 AM
My something new is that this is the first trip without my parents and my first trip with my husband. Another something new is the dining plan and staying at BWI. we also are going to do the animal safari (the group tour one...not the one in the parks)

Figgyluv03
07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, I finally convinced my boyfriend to go next year, so I'm totally excited!!!! We are going for 9 days and it's his first time there, so I'm going to surprise him with the Richard Petty Experience especially because we aren't getting each other birthday gifts for the next two years.

For me, we'll be dining at some of the fine restruants and getting to experience DTD and PI since I was only 19 when I worked there.

mainemajor
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM

You might want to skip this because there will be birds flying from the back over your head to the stage. It's a great show but if you fear birds then skip it. When we went a couple of years ago one of the birds actually hit my head on his way to the stage. It jumped the stuffing out of me. People sitting close by could not believe it.

Mickey91
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I am taking my daughter to the MY DISNEY PRINCESS TEA at the Grand Floridian. I never thought I would spend that much on an event that only two of us can enjoy. SSHHH! It's a surprise!

BronxTigger
07-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, there's nothing I particularly avoid at WDW, but there are many things I haven't done. My next trip will be my first solo trip, and I'm very excited! One of those days, my friend (from high school) will meet up with me. She's currently a CM at the World of Disney store. Also on my next trip, I'll be taking one of the tours in the Magic Kingdom, the Mickey's Magical Milestones tour. I'll be sure to post about it in my trip reports. :number1:

jenperich
07-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm going with my boyfriend for the first time and he wants to go on the TeaCups. The thought of going on them makes me toss my lunch. But, he's going on Small World with me, and I'm going to go on the TeaCups with him...preferably before lunch. :-)

Dizneyfan
07-19-2007, 09:13 PM
We are going to be doing Cirque de Soleil. We're also going to the spa for som R&R.:cloud9: This is also going to be our first trip without kids.:mickey:

DisneyFanatic11
07-19-2007, 09:25 PM
This year, we're going to try out some of the films in the countries in World Showcase at Epcot. They're supposed to be really neat and interesting. I guess I'll see in August!

PeterPanFan
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
We are going on the River Boat in the Magic Kingdom. We have never been on this in all my trips. LOL. Its the only attraction I have never been on.

DessertDivaFL
07-20-2007, 08:54 AM
We don't usually go to Tom Sawyer's Island, but we're heading out there this trip. We're afraid the rumors of the Pirate's rehab will be true and we'll never get to see it as Tom Sawyer's again.
:mickey:

That's interesting. My kids haven't been to TSI yet so I guess we better head there too.