PDA

View Full Version : RV owners: please weigh in!

janebanks
06-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi all,

If you own an RV, please tell me what kind, why you chose that one, how you've used it and enjoyed it so far. Do you regret your purchase or is it one of the best things you ever bought? We're seriously thinking of buying -- might rent first to check it out and see if we like the experience.

Please tell me anything you can think of! In particular, did you choose a travel trailer or a motor home and why?

Thanks in advance!

drummerboy
06-30-2007, 06:08 PM
DW and I took the route from backpack tent to full-size tent to two-room tent to pop-up camper to tavel trailer to Class C RV, so you might say we worked our way up.

We don't get out in it as much as we'd like, but we thoroughly enjoy the class C (which has a pickup truck-like cab that opens into the rest of the camper--the passenger can get up and make lunch or use the bathroom, etc. while on the road, although that should be done sparingly.)

DW has used the newest RV more than me. She's had the grandchildren out in it a few times. We've enjoyed staying at Fort Wilderness in all our camping modes over the years.

Any more questions, ask away.

Grumpy's Daughter
06-30-2007, 09:03 PM
We also have an RV. It is a hybrid travel trailer- that means that it's a trailer with pop out tents that pop out on the end. It's perfect for our family! It actually belonged to my parents, but they gave it to me for Christmas (we've outgrown the camper when all 7 of us are in it, so they bought a new one for them!) We've enjoyed about 2-3 weeks of camping every year, visiting Disney, Illinois, Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and the like. Our kids have gotten to see a lot of places that I don't think that they would have, if we had to get a hotel room all the time. We're planning on hitting New England and Canada this summer- another first! We love RV-ing, but it's not for everyone. I think that renting or borrowing a friends might be the best first step!

2Epcot
07-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I don't own an RV, but grew up spending a lot of time in them with my family. My dad started renting first, usually with the pop up tent trailers, then he worked his way to buying a regular 18 ft. Nomad travel trailer that slept six. I think he would have loved to have a motor home, but wasn't in the budget. We traveled all of the state of Arizona and the entire western part of the US, with a at least a couple of trips through the south, and to Florida. Some of my best memories of growing up were the days in our RV with my family, and friends who also owned one and traveled with us a lot. I say get what you can afford, and have space to park, you'll enjoy it.