PDA

View Full Version : Partial Closure - Animal Kingdom Lodge [Merged Threads]

mprewitt
06-30-2007, 03:28 PM
According to a reliable source, Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge at Walt Disney World will be essentially closed for guests from now until Sept 1, 2007.

Figaro0826
06-30-2007, 03:57 PM
I called for reservations for August 24th , 2 nights, Disney said there are no available due to construction.

So I booked Wilderness Lodge instead...

Figment!
06-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Throughout June Disney has been relocating Guests on the 4th floor of the hotel (that are in trails currently under construction) to Saratoga Springs due to noise concerns.

At this time, there does not appear to be a confirmation of a whole resort closure.

It seems a little suspect that they would close the whole resort for a trail by trail conversion of only two floors.

Tinkermom
06-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I have also read that AKL is closing until 9/1. There are several disney sites with stories of people who are booked at AKL between now and 9/1 being offered other accomodations. If this is true I think this information should be put on Intercot's homepage.

mprewitt
06-30-2007, 05:19 PM
At this time, there does not appear to be a confirmation of a whole resort closure.

It seems a little suspect that they would close the whole resort for a trail by trail conversion of only two floors.

I agree. I wonder if this is mis-information.

LottaLubes
06-30-2007, 05:38 PM
I think it's true...no matter what dates I enter on disney.com, AKL is unavailable. I can't believe it would be sold out for every night this summer.

Carol
06-30-2007, 05:57 PM
If this is true I think this information should be put on Intercot's homepage.
Hi Lisa - :hi:

When/if the news comes from Disney we'll put the details on the front page. Until then it's considered a rumor.

DisneyDudet
06-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I would think that with the number of members going this summer, and staying at AKL, we would have members coming on to tell us about this. If they are indeed calling those who are staying to move them, I'm sure we'd hear something from those people.

Not saying that they aren't displacing more people due to noise or space, but a whole resort seems a little much. There are other places at the resort to stay other than the floors being affected. They now have limited number of rooms available, which will sell out easier than if all rooms were available at one time.

I'm sure Figment will let us know ASAP!

Keep your eyes open for more info!!

Tinkermom
06-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi Lisa - :hi:

When/if the news comes from Disney we'll put the details on the front page. Until then it's considered a rumor.

Hi Carol! :hi:

I know we can all count on Intercot to get us the info we need! :thumbsup: I sure hope we hear soon if this is true or just a rumor...

The main reason I am interested is there is some speculation out there that when the next phase starts there could be some more AKL closures starting in early '08. We are hoping to book AKL villas for February '08. I will be watching to see how this all plays out.:cool:

TooGoofy
06-30-2007, 07:50 PM
We are due to arrive at AKL on July 9...and have not gotten a call yet. If the entire resort were going to be closed, I think they would have told us by now. I have heard of many people being asked to move to a different resort (SSR, etc), but we have not been contacted. Therefore I would take this with a grain (or an entire truckload) of salt.

tyandskyesmom
06-30-2007, 07:51 PM
We are arriving for a three night stay there in about 14 hours and have not been contacted but MJ about any closure f the whole resort so I think this is a bit of inaccurate information.

I'll report back on what we see and hear next week sometime!

mprewitt
06-30-2007, 08:27 PM
The site that originally posted the information has made a revision.

TammiMcMan
06-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I've edited the title of this thread to lessen any confusion. According to guests who have reservations there, some have been called and offered another resort, while others have not. It seems to be based on the locations of the rooms that have been booked. I've also heard from someone who just returned from the AKL and they reported the resort is in fact still up and running, with guests being checked in. They also stated that the construction was barely noticeable to them.

Tink1
06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
We have not been notified of any "official news" about this yet either way. At this point I must remain in the "this is a rumor" camp. Being a Saturday, I find it odd to hear any decision was made today (the upper ups don't normally work weekends)

There has been some guest relocation going on in the past few weeks, as everyone has been aware of. There will be more to come. I cannot say however that they are closing the resort. (Guest relocations actually happen often for many reasons; maintenance and upkeep, overbooking conventions, VIP security reasons etc.)

As soon as we hear anything Intercot, always, is the first place we put it.

Nanc

DawnSS
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
It's true. :( I got the call this am that we have to switch. All 17 of us were scheduled the first week in August. We had the choice of Saratoga Springs and Wilderness Lodge Bay Lake view and then we found out they were both completely booked. So, we are ending up at the Boardwalk in the Villa's. They look very nice...2 bedrooms, kitchen, etc. so it should be much nicer ammenities. I was so looking forward to AKL though. Maybe next time.

Dawn

StillSimbaGirl
07-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Take heart - although AKL is very nice - you really can't beat that Epcot location - except MAYBE - by a monorail hotel. Boardwalk is by far a better location than Saratoga Springs...and somewhat better than WL (given that WL doesn't have monorail access).

Figment!
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
The following is an official statement released by the Disney Vacation Club regarding the progress of the Villas and the project's effects on the Lodge:

July 3, 2007

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas opened to Disney Vacation Club Members yesterday. We are pleased that our Members are happy with the new accommodations. There is construction occurring at the resort to complete the conversion of the fifth and sixth floors to Vacation Homes.

In an effort to accelerate the construction timeline and potentially complete this effort earlier than planned, portions of the resort will be temporarily closing. As a result of the accelerated timeline, we are working with Guests who have existing Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge reservations to assist them in selecting alternate accommodations for their upcoming visit. This does not affect all Guests staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The care and safety of the animals at the resort is at the forefront of planning the construction. No animals have been adversely affected by the construction and we are proactively managing their care.

BugeyedMuggy
07-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Not to sound petty but I'm disappointed to hear Disney is more worried about the VCM than the already reserved guest they had to relocate. I have res. for late Sept. & have booked many of my ADR's around my lodging. These I cannot change at this late date. I picked this hotel and alot of my plans are around this location. The SSR would not be acceptable to me. To cancel my trip I also have paid for air fare & Disney trip ins.(which I will not be refunded) I realize some things are beyond their control but to accelerate their plans & ruin other's does not in my mind justify the end result. I hope our trip is not effected as it will tarnish my respect for Disney & their many commercials about your dream can come true. I hope all the people relocated still had a magical time.

Roo Girl
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
This is concerning- we're due to arrive at AKL (in the DVC units) starting Aug 8th. I haven't heard anything about a relocation but they did warn me when I made the reservation that there may be construction noise. I assume I'll be at the parks so its Hakuna Mattata!!

Looking forward to it- I hope we aren't staying in a "ghost town" resort!

TammiMcMan
07-05-2007, 04:06 PM
BugeyedMuggy, I think it comes as a suprise to most of us when we see Disney acting like a corporation. What we're seeing is business 101. The AKL is not one of the resorts that you normally had a problem getting into to. I don't think they helped themselves by creating so few lower priced standard rooms. I imagine the financials for this resort, were not the best. They were constantly giving out free upgrades on existing reservations, so they could re-open standard rooms back into inventory.

Now compare that, to DVC, which is money in the bank. My guess is that they have a waiting list of people ready to purchase and if those rooms are not ready soon, people may take their money elsewhere.

I agree that the human factor for those who painstakingly plan their vacations, is what suffers the most. The fact that they've been proactive and pretty flexible with alternatives does show me that they are trying. I know guests who refused SSR and are instead staying at the BW, the GF and the Poly. In my opinion, nothing would be comparable to the AKL, but it's an effort at least. You brought up a good point about the ADR's. Does anyone know if that's being addressed, if they have CM's setup to help those affected guests with making new dining plans?

lockedoutlogic
07-05-2007, 05:52 PM
This may seem odd behavior by the corporates to most.....but is actually not that unusual.

Renovations take place at WDW Resorts all the time...each resort sees some kind of renovation probably at least once every five years....sometimes it's a restaurant or a shop...a pool...sometimes the individual lodge buildings of a resort.

This one is very different....they have never converted an existing hotel into the DVC setup before...all other DVC locations were new buildings when constructed.
Now they are taking an existing resort of 1000 rooms and shaving that inventory by probably 100-200 rooms....and constructing nearly 1000 timeshare units above and next to the old resort.

It is unreasonable to think that they wouldn't have to do some tinkering with the schedule to accomodate this task. It is...afterall...basically a trial run.

As I said before....rooms are always going down for rehab...the key difference here is that normally they take a single building out of the hole inventory to update...and most staying there don't really notice it.

There have also been many times in the past were floors of yacht, beach, wilderness, and most notably the contemporary have disappeared for a period of time.

the construction at AK is probably more intensive....being that they could be doing structural work...as opposed to the normal stripping of decor that usually happens.

Be glad they did this....while disappointing...it is quite possible that those who had booked there could get a location that they never would have paid for out of pocket...like the poly....

And if the construction is that invasive....Disney is doing themselves a favor by eliminating as many complaints as possible.

While this may be inconveniencing to many...and disappointing....I know first hand that they will only displace people if it is absolutely necessary and...a last resort.

As far as dining plans go.....it will be difficult to address that....the DDP has pretty much taken care of any flexibility that there used to be in scheduling meals...
You want it...you got it.

Good luck to those who will be incovenienced by this....
my advice: GF, Poly, Contemp, BW, or Y&B are the only acceptable alternatives...

don't let them stuff you in OKW or Saratoga if you don't want to go there.

BugeyedMuggy
07-05-2007, 06:54 PM
At least you were told when making reservations you may experience some noise. We had no idea there was construction until this discussion board. We had All Star Sprots one time the football and had to smell some kind of tar for 10 days. No mention of that either. If this is business 101 I feel really bad for the next generation. All for one and one for all.

TammiMcMan
07-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry BugeyedMuggy, I think we're maybe not entirely on the same page here. I thought you were talking mainly about the importance of DVC vs regular guests. Unfortunately, you didn't mention your concern regarding not being notified in your original post. I just read that on your followup. To the best of my knowledge, guests are being notified in chronological order and I believe they are up to mid August at this point.

My business 101 reference was directed at the reason behind why a company would opt for timeshare units and that so far, Disney has been actively calling those that could be affected. In your situation, the speeding up of completion dates may result in a better situation for you. It's possible that the interior construction, which is what's affecting so many guests, will now be finished by September 1st.

I agree that notification has never been a strong point of Disney, although they do seem to be making an effort. Since finding these message boards though, I honestly don't trust much unless I read it here :thumbsup:.

Tink1
07-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know if that's being addressed, if they have CM's setup to help those affected guests with making new dining plans?

With the new system, you do not get a new reservation number when you change resorts. Your existing dining stays intact wherever you move to.

Nanc

mprewitt
07-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I applaud what Disney is doing. They recognized that their initial construction plan would be disruptive to guests. So they decided to do it faster so it wouldn't drag on. Those guests that had to be relocated were either offered cash back or were upgraded for free to better accomodations.

Yeah, I know a lot of folks were looking forward to staying at AKL, but I think Disney did the best they could with a bad situation.

TammiMcMan
07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks Nanc. I wasn't very clear, but what I meant was what about guests who had booked AKL 6 months ago and made a majority of their dining plans based on that resort.... ie Boma and Jiko's for a few meals. Now they find out that they're being relocated to SSR or the Poly and those meals at AKL become a major inconvenience to try and get to. Is there a special dining number setup to help re-assigned guests find more convenient dining at their replacement resort? Just seems like that should have been part of the relocation procedures for these guests, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere.

Tink1
07-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Sorry Tammy, now I see what you mean. No, not that I am aware of.

Nanc

lockedoutlogic
07-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks Nanc. I wasn't very clear, but what I meant was what about guests who had booked AKL 6 months ago and made a majority of their dining plans based on that resort.... ie Boma and Jiko's for a few meals. Now they find out that they're being relocated to SSR or the Poly and those meals at AKL become a major inconvenience to try and get to. Is there a special dining number setup to help re-assigned guests find more convenient dining at their replacement resort? Just seems like that should have been part of the relocation procedures for these guests, but I haven't seen it addressed anywhere.

How could there be? They now book the places so that people are practically tossed out the front door if they don't have a res....like a drunken cowboy being thrown out the double doors in an old west saloon....

there would be no way to "reassign"dining reservations....they would simply tell you to use transportation to go to your reservations.

Anyone want to debate the merits of the old priority seating system...again?

TammiMcMan
07-07-2007, 11:38 AM
There just seems to be some "pull" for those staying within the resort, to be seated at a resort restaurant.

Trust me, I miss same day reservations very much. Those Epcot kiosks were great!

Donalds Duckie
07-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Back in 2002 I had reservations at CBR for 9 months when I got the word that they were completely closing CBR. I called WDW Travel (that's before I knew about Intercot and Magical Journeys) and they told me it was true and that, although they were notifying guests in order of arrival dates, they would go ahead and handle my reaccommodation. I didn't complain a bit when I was moved from 7 nights at CBR Water View Room to 7 nights at The Polynesian for no additional charge.

Our dining plans were not affected more than one dinner we had booked at what is now called Shutters at CBR, but I can see how that could be annoying. I hope ADR CMs have a plan for those moving AKL ADRs to other restaurants.

BugeyedMuggy
07-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I wish we did not have to book 6 months in advance for dining myself. I hate to tie myself down on where to be and where to eat all the time (feels like a cruise :sick:) But as someone else said you can't get into restaurants without them. So maybe book any ADR for any resort in case Disney may move you. Who knows.. I've never had to think this way :confused: (sarcastic of course)

lockedoutlogic
07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
There just seems to be some "pull" for those staying within the resort, to be seated at a resort restaurant.

You would think....

but you'd be wrong...there is 1 dining system that is used by all..CRO, resort guest services, park Guest relations, concierge, and the podiums at the restaurants....

IF it's booked...it's booked.
And everyone has equal chance at getting them who has access...there are no varying levels of privilege for those with dining access.

In order to "jam" an extra party into a packed meal period...the Manager or Chef at a specific restaurant would have to do it...and they are very hesitant to do so.

If word got out that they'd do it...not only would every pushy guest want to get that privilege....but all cast members who needed to use it would try to exploit as well.

the reservations system now is not the same one as it was in the past...
they traded flexibility for guaranteed revenue....

logical...but not great in the PR department.

ScottyP
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know where they are in chronological order? We are going August 26th to September 2nd and are staying in a standard room. I called twice and was told not to worry we would not be disrupted. The second person I spoke to put a note on my account indicating we have a baby and are planning to be around for naps. I am still unsure and am anxious all other resorts will be full.

TammiMcMan
07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
ScottyP, if you haven't been called yet and your reservation is not marked for relocation, then you are most likely in a room that's not being affected. At this point, the decision would be yours. If you think it will be disruptive, then I suggest looking online at which resorts have availability during your vacation dates, call Disney reservations and ask to speak with someone handling the AKL relocations.

For what it's worth, chances are if you are in your room, with the balcony doors closed during nap times, you probably won't notice too much noise. Of course, that all depends on what they are working on.

ScottyP
07-09-2007, 03:11 PM
The CM who I spoke with said that if I make a change now I will have to pay for the increased cost (to move to another Deluxe). If I am contacted to be moved Disney will eat the cost. We are not going to initiate a move that will increase the price of our vacation and we do not want to change to a moderate. Looks like we will keep our fingers crossed and hope they are working on another part of the resort.

TammiMcMan
07-09-2007, 06:12 PM
The CM who I spoke with said that if I make a change now I will have to pay for the increased cost (to move to another Deluxe).Is that what the regular reservation CM told you, or did you speak with someone who is specifically handling the relocation?

Recent reports don't seem to show any major issues going on there, so you may want to leave it alone and hope for the best.

BugeyedMuggy
07-09-2007, 09:06 PM
ScottyP - we made that same phone call (to find out what's up with relocation) and at first were told our res. had been cancelled :confused: Then when DH asked the CM to recheck or res. we were told also we would be o.k. We are going 9-22-07. So we will also cross our fingers and hope for the best. We usually stay at value resorts .(upgraded to moderate once but was not worth it) We are never in our rooms except to sleep. This will be our first Deluxe & we will see if it's worth it for us. Good luck to you.

Tinkerbard
07-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Im very upset Y'ALL I just called AAA about my RESERVATIONS at the ANKL for August 14th - 20th because I had a question about a room. MY AAA representative just called DISNEY and was told that they are closing the resort to anyone and all people who have reservations there July something through SEPTEMBER do to construction. I have a family of 12 going and IM SO upset now!!! Our trip is coppletely paid for and now we have to get new resort. My AAA asked Disney why they havent told them and they said they are in the process of calling all travel agencies now. I CANT BELIEVE THIS IM SO MAD!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

brianjdu4
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I understand how upset you must be. The good news is that you will probably be upgraded for free to one of the other deluxe resorts. I would call Disney direct and ask them. You might have your choice of rooms at no extra cost, even if the room is more than what you paid at AKL. Give it a shot and call them.

Tinkerbard
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
yeah well our first choice was the POLY and so My mother has told the AAA representative to call Disney and tell that we wont settle for anything else. They offered other resorts that don't even compare to Poly and the Animal Kingdom Lodge so that made us even angrier :mad:

Disney_Barbie
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I understand your irritation with being left in the dark on the situation, and getting your heart set on a particular resort only to find out that it won’t be what you expected, but (sorry, but I’m always a super optimist) look in the bright side, Disney tends to be quite accommodating when it comes to stuff like this and I’m sure you’ll end up in a very nice resort. Personally, the Deluxe resorts are out of our price range, except WL & AKL since they are the lowest price, so I, personally would love if we had booked one of those and only paid for one of the “cheaper” deluxe and got to stay at one of the deluxe resorts that we never could have afforded otherwise, like the Boardwalk or the Polynesian. Just my thoughts on the matter at least, but I can understand the initial frustration of having plans made and then suddenly changing, sorry that your disappointed, but I’m sure you’ll be pleased in the long run.

brianjdu4
07-12-2007, 01:02 PM
YOU call Disney directly and demand satisfaction. Bypass AAA for the moment!

Tinkerbard
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
My mother said she wants to give the AAA representative a chance since he has been so good to us so far but if she doesn't get through we will be calling ourselves.

SBETigg
07-12-2007, 01:17 PM
We have dinner plans at Boma in late August and I was really looking forward to exploring the resort a bit. I had heard previously that it was only certain areas of the resort that were closing. This is not good news, more especially for you than for me.

Figment!
07-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Unless something changed very recently, the whole resort is not closed.

Certain sections are being closed due to the construction and Guests in those sections are being transfered.

See Partial Closure of Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1344769#post1344769) for details.

mttafire
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
IF all the info is correct and IF you cannot get a room at AKL then there really isnt anything you can do. Just go on your vacation and stay some place else. You WILL still have the time of your life!:thumbsup: I think we all have had things not go our way at times,Its better just to deal with it positively and not get upset. Chalk this up as one of those..."we dont get what we always want". Remember YOU'RE at DISNEY!!! Be thankfull and just have a magical time!!:mickey: May i suggest POFQ or W.L.

McGoofy
07-12-2007, 02:14 PM
A few years ago when Port Orleans French Quarter was being refurbished, we had friends who had reservations there. They had made their reservations about a year in advance. So, at the time the reservations were made, Disney did not know when the refurbishment would be. Evidently, they don't cancel reservations that were made when they find out dates of construction. They just don't make new reservations for that time. I guess they figure most people would be delighted with an upgrade. When our friends showed up for check-in, they found out they had been upgraded to Yacht and Beach Club for the same price as what they were expecting to pay at POFQ. Talk about a sweet upgrade!!!! Our friends were pleasantly surprised, and they had the best stay ever. Refurbishment and closure of rooms is not always a bad thing.:mickey: I hope it works out well for you.

moe513
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Thats awful. If you had your heart set on akl theres really nothing similiar.

mprewitt
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm sure it's upsetting to get the call, but I hope you still have a magical Disney vacation at another Deluxe (or DVC) resort.

Disney is either upgrading folks to better (more expensive) accomodations for free, or giving you cash back. They are trying to do the right thing...

lyle21
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
family of 12?? and now you have to move?? wow, that is tough. i know i would be pretty darn mad. i hope disney can move you to one of the other deluxe or dvc resorts. but still, the akl is so unique....

i do have my favorites, but personally, i would be happy at any of the deluxes. pros and cons for each.

good luck though.

SallyP
07-12-2007, 02:51 PM
IF all the info is correct and IF you cannot get a room at AKL then there really isnt anything you can do. Just go on your vacation and stay some place else. You WILL still have the time of your life!:thumbsup: I think we all have had things not go our way at times,Its better just to deal with it positively and not get upset. Chalk this up as one of those..."we dont get what we always want". Remember YOU'RE at DISNEY!!! Be thankfull and just have a magical time!!:mickey: May i suggest POFQ or W.L.

Thank you for your positive thinking statement BUT personally I would be totally upset since this is something your look forward to and PAY big money for the exact resort. Disney should either offer equivalent or upgrade or refund all money. It's not a matter of getting your way, it's a matter of getting what you paid for!

mttafire
07-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you for your positive thinking statement BUT personally I would be totally upset since this is something your look forward to and PAY big money for the exact resort. Disney should either offer equivalent or upgrade or refund all money. It's not a matter of getting your way, it's a matter of getting what you paid for!

The only way there will be a total refund is a cancellation of the entire vacation..(Silly to do that). Also,I have NEVER seen Disney NOT give an upgrade for this type of situation. No, the original poster as it looks will not be staying at the AKL. (poop happens) BUT They will im almost 100% sure receive an upgrade or equal resort cost switch. Im not saying is not ok to be dissapointed. Its just not going to get them anywhere being upset.

Chrisx2
07-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry your plans are changing. I know that can be disappointing. If you booked your vacation through AAA, I don't think you can call WDW directly. I think AAA has to make any changes to your reservation. This has been going on for a few weeks now and I am surprised your agent didn't know.

That said, I would look online and see what deluxe resorts are available for your dates. I certainly wouldn't accept anything less than deluxe. I know most people are being offered DVC accomodations at Saratoga Springs but it's up to you if you consider that acceptable. (Some do and some don't and I'm not saying either way.)

Good luck!

MMouse6937
07-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I can understand being upset but like other posters have said Disney will try to do whatever they can to accomodate you.

For our honeymoon they closed CBR where we had reservations. They offered us either of the other moderates for no extra cost, which I explained wasn't really what we looking for as POR wasn't our style and CS is themed after the desert southwest and hello, we live here. Anyhoo, she offered us the Poly for a fraction more money. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. We had the best time in one of the best resorts on property.

I would really just be understanding but explain your disappointment and see what they can do to accomodate you. I wouldn't let it ruin my whole trip. Good luck to you!

lockedoutlogic
07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
A few tips (i might have worked a resort that was shutdown...fall 02)

Call Disney and ask them directly....don't let the travel agent do it if they don't get immediate results. WDW resort CMs do not like travel agents as a general rule....only the CRO wholesale have extensive dealings with them in the first place....
Frontline CMs are presented with "my travel agent told me this..." stories on an almost daily basis...causing a natural (if somewhat unjustified) reaction.

Disney's policy as present is to sidegrade those displaced by overselling, maintenance, group overbooking, or rehabs. That means that many still will try to move you into a hotel of the same price. I never sidegraded anyone...if the mod i worked at wasn't available...the only numbers on the telephone were Y&B, WL, AKL, and Contemporary....the other three deluxes...well....that's a different story:mad:
Sidegrades are an absolute no-no in the hotel industry that should not be reasonably accepted. By not providing the stated accomodations...they broke their end of the contract.

Do not let them side grade you or slam you into OKW or Saratoga if you don't want it. In the end, you will win.

But with that advice...there a stipulation....do not yell, threat, or file a lawsuit....
you will get farther with every disney employee if you are polite and reasonable.
They are not afraid of your yelling...they hear it everyday...
...and those that do it end up with less about 99% of the time.

They will find a way to accomodate you....continue to shake the tree...just don't attempt to snap it in half.

vamaggie
07-12-2007, 07:57 PM
ScottyP, if you haven't been called yet and your reservation is not marked for relocation, then you are most likely in a room that's not being affected. At this point, the decision would be yours. If you think it will be disruptive, then I suggest looking online at which resorts have availability during your vacation dates, call Disney reservations and ask to speak with someone handling the AKL relocations.

For what it's worth, chances are if you are in your room, with the balcony doors closed during nap times, you probably won't notice too much noise. Of course, that all depends on what they are working on.

Not to be too synical but I can't seem to help it: How can they know that you won't be inconvenienced/disturbed by noises if the rooms are not assigned until 2-3 days before you arrive? With a little one, I do not know if I would chance it (unless you would be willing to move after a day if the noise/disruption was bad)

TammiMcMan
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
vamaggie, to the best of my knowledge, the partial shutdown was due to interior construction that required the loss of an additional floor. Relocating some guests really has nothing to do with construction noise, only that they've had to take more rooms out of inventory than originally expected. So, it really doesn't have to do with someone being inconvenienced or disturbed by noise, it's about physically not having a room to put the guest into. Those that haven't been called, are simply booked in an area of the resort that is still open and operational.

moe513
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Are the resturants closing ??? And if its only a partial closure how do they decide who has to move? Im sure they havent done room assignments a month ahead of time. And if its for example standard rooms there closing I dont think there closing ALL standard rooms so who gets the call to relocate?? Thanks.

Also, if you are interested in buying into the dvc are they giving tours during this time.

TammiMcMan
07-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Are the resturants closing ???No, the partial closure is affecting some room inventory, that's all.

And if its only a partial closure how do they decide who has to move? Im sure they havent done room assignments a month ahead of time.From a logistical point of view, I'm sure that they are doing room assignments and blocking. That's the only way they can give guests enough time to consider alternate plans. I don't know what the selection process if it's only affecting a certain percentage of rooms in category, but my guess is that it's completely random.

For what it's worth, the relocation seems to have slowed down and I haven't heard of anyone getting the phone call lately. They must expect to get those rooms back into inventory by the end of August/beginning of September.

Also, if you are interested in buying into the dvc are they giving tours during this time.I do know that at least 1 Jambo unit has been opened for occupancy. I don't know if they're giving tours yet.

moe513
07-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks Tammi for answering my questions.

lockedoutlogic
07-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't think they will ever give tours at AKL for the DVC sales...

they built the full mock ups at Saratoga for a reason...they can lure you in and complete the sales in the building next door....sale, financing, title work...it all can be done in short amount time.

I don't think they ever plan on putting a sales office at aKL...and would only go that route as a last resort.

They might take you over to let you look around...but even that might give the customer enough time to change his/her mind...
We'll see once the new building gets up and running.

moe513
07-13-2007, 06:56 PM
If akl was going to be my home dvc id like to see it before signing on the dotted line.

mprewitt
07-13-2007, 07:07 PM
If akl was going to be my home dvc id like to see it before signing on the dotted line.

Before we bought, we spent time at AKL walking around, checking out the savannah with the animals, and eating at both Jiko and Boma. We loved the look and feel of AKL.

Then, we took the DVC tour at SSR and saw the models of the new AKV rooms.

We became DVC members right then and there!

TooGoofy
07-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi All!
We just got back from AKL, so I thought I would pop in here and let you know our thoughts.

First, we were very happy with our room. We stayed in room 4513 on the Zebra Trail overlooking Arusha Rock. We saw lots of animals; kudu, giraffe, ankole cattle, blesbok, bongo and more. None of them seemed concerned or bothered by the consruction.

Secondly, there are still people checking in to the resort. It seemed well attended, especially on the concierge level, where we were lucky enough to stay this time. We were told that the construction is ahead of schedule.

As far as hearing any contruction noise, I am very happy to report that we heard nothing in our room. There was some noise that could be heard in the lobby area. Sometimes, if we were out on the balcony, we could hear a saw in the distance. That was it. It never disturbed our naps, our enjoyment of the resort or the animals.

And we bought DVC at AKLV, so it is now our home resort!

ScottyP
07-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Thank you so much, I am so glad to hear it. I will rest at ease that we will not be affected by the construction. I have triple checked with Disney and we are not moving so I am glad to hear the AKL will be enjoyable.

kutchyone
07-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I will try to make this as concise as possible, yeah right!

Booked CSR for 3 adults with dining and tickets, August 15 - 19. We then check into the BCV studio that I rented.

Came across a code that was only valid for 48 hours that I was able to use for AKL and ended up paying $27.00 less then the original reservation at CSR for 3 adults.

Called and was told by Central Reservation that if we had not already received a call we would be OK.

Called about 4 days later and was told the same thing.

Called a week later and was told that everyone was being moved (I don't think that was correct but it was what I was told) and she tried to get the Outbound group (people taking care of moving the guests) on the phone but the line was busy. She put me through and told me to leave a message for a call back which I did.

Received a call back within a half hour and asked if we were going to be effected by the moves. She asked for my reservation number and said yes that I would be receiving a call to move. They are doing them in chronological order by room type. I said I was being proactive and would like to know my options at this time. I was offered SSR 1 bedroom with no refund because our rate was so low to begin with or WLV 1 bedroom. I explained that we are staying at the BCV for part 2 of this trip and would not want to stay at a vacation club. We were then given the option of BWI, YC or WL wich I also turned down. The BWI and YC because we are staying at the BC and WL because although I love the lobby I really hate the rooms. She asked me where we had never stayed and I said CR (my 18 year old daughters first choice if we had to move) or the Poly. She checked CR and said that it would only be availble two nigjts so that wouldn't work but that she could get me into a garden view at the Poly or something at the GF. I jumped on the Poly because we really don't care for the GF even though it is the top of the line resort, just not our style. I backed out the dining and tickets and we are paying for 3 adults, garden view at the Poly $168.34 per night. Even for AKL that was a GREAT deal!

Still would love to stay at AKL one day but need another one of those great deals. The Diseny Gods are looking down on me for this trip I just hope they are as kind for the next.

ScottyP
07-15-2007, 08:04 AM
So I guess I should call again and be persistant. Every time I call I am re assured by the front line rep that everything will be fine. I am just so afraid of everything filling up if we have to move.

kutchyone
07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
My thoughts exactly especially because we had a standrad view, cheapest rooms at AKL. I'm glad we made the change when we did, helps to be able to plan our visit. We still plan on eating at Boma and touring the resort to see what we missed.

ScottyP
07-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, I got the phone call today and we have been moved to the Polynesian. I am pleased that we are there if we cannot be at the AKL. The only issue is trying to find dining arrangements now everything is booked. Oh well.

Hammer
07-16-2007, 09:45 PM
ScottyP,

The Polynesian has probably some of the best transportation options at WDW, so you may not need to worry about changing any dining arrangements. If you have any transportation questions for your ADRs, I would recommend you start another thread here in Accommodations and I am sure fellow Intercotees will help you out.

wagjb
07-25-2007, 09:40 AM
I am staying at AKL in a standard room on Labor Day weekend. Has anybody been contacted yet about moving during that time period?

I called a week ago and was told they were not moving people in August as of yet but obviously that is not true based on the last posts.

I am staying at OKW for 5 days and then added 2 extra days at AKL as a surprise. I hope I won't get bumped. I already paid $200 extra to move the flights and would hate to end up some place other that AKL.

Any info is appreciated.

Greg.

ScottyP
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I would count on being moved. We had a Standard view for August 26- 2 and we got the call last week. If you are affected you have to move. They were very accomodating and moved us to the Polynesian after offerering Saratoga Springs first.

*Lil Hayley*
07-26-2007, 07:42 AM
My family and I are staying at AKL very soon.... We are leaving tomorrow for the airport and I haven't heard anything. Would they phone people or the travel agent who have booked from England or would they wait to tell you when you get there? We have booked a standard view (with 2 double beds) Does anyone know if we will be effected by this part closure?
Am very worried now from reading about the part closure..

Thankyou for your help

Hayley.

TammiMcMan
07-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Hayley, if you booked through an agent and they haven't received a call yet, you are probably all set. I have not heard of anyone being moved upon arrival. You can always have your travel agent double check by calling Disney. At least you'd know for sure and won't be worrying the whole way over.

*Lil Hayley*
07-26-2007, 08:14 AM
I would ring travel agent but, i won't as I know what they are like. They would probably, say if u don't like it then cancel it... They haven't even told us that there's any type of construction going on at the hotel, which they are suppost to do before hand. My mum will sort things out over there if there's any trouble. It's just me worrying that we will get there and the hotel will be in a mess and we won't have a room haha!

BronxTigger
07-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I would ring travel agent but, i won't as I know what they are like. They would probably, say if u don't like it then cancel it... They haven't even told us that there's any type of construction going on at the hotel, which they are suppost to do before hand. My mum will sort things out over there if there's any trouble. It's just me worrying that we will get there and the hotel will be in a mess and we won't have a room haha!

I think you will be fine. They won't make you sleep in the street. If AKL is not able to accommodate you, they will move you to another resort. Because they haven't called you yet, I think you'll be okay. AKL, from what I understand, is still open, but with less rooms than originally planned. I wouldn't worry too much about it, although if it makes you feel better and doesn't cost a fortune, you could call the AKL yourself and confirm your reservation.

*Lil Hayley*
07-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Ahhh right cool, thanks for your help...

I think it's just the unknown thats worrying lol