PDA

View Full Version : What would you do differently?

Marilyn Michetti
06-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm going to my (gulp), 45th high school reunion one month from today, and I KNOW the question will come up at every table, at least once. If You Knew THEN, What You Know NOW, what would you do differently?

Outside of investing in Disney stock, what would you have hung onto, bought and tucked away, or what would you have learned to do, etc.

I wish I had studied music seriously.
I wish I still had my dolls, and all the other toys that are worth a fortune today.
I wish I had taken more pictures, kept a journal, and gotten a video camera the minute they came out.

Anybody else out there, remembering?:blush:

mrsgaribaldi
06-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I would have finished college :blush:

Melanie
06-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I would have majored in something different in college. :unsure:

Stan
06-30-2007, 06:51 PM
I would have bought a 1972 Olds Cutlass convertible as soon as possible (some time between 1973 and 1978), and I would still be driving it. :thumbsup:

I would have paid for new engines, transmissions, tops, body repairs, interiors, etc etc as required to keep it looking new. I would have not bought about 15 or 20 other vehicles I could list here (only real winner in the list was a '72 big Chevy wagon that gave outstanding service but wasn't very classy)... so overall it would have been waaaay cheaper and a whole lot more fun. :D

Since I don't own such a vehicle and they're kind of overpriced now, I'd be equally happy with maybe a '73 Buick Centurion convertible.

disneydeb
06-30-2007, 07:01 PM
I would have listened to my heart more, and my head less.

I would have followed my interests instead of my mother's interests for me.

TooGoofy
06-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I would have gathered up all my courage and gone to study in England for a year (or even two) during college. I was too frightened at the time, and I thought I would miss my family too much. That is my one (and so far, only) regret in life.

snifflesmcg
06-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I would have saved some money before getting my first apartment.

I would have traveled alot more before I got my first apartment.

I would have gotten an apartment with a roomate to start out with so I don't have to keep playing catch up with my bills 10 years later.

I would have taken more pictures so those memories would last a lifetime.

I would have NEVER dated my ex-boyfriend. That's a year and a half I'll never get back.

drummerboy
06-30-2007, 07:58 PM
I would not have believed the barber who told me I'd always have a thick head of hair. Come to think of it, he might not have said the "of hair" part. :D

conorsmom2000
07-02-2007, 07:22 AM
I would have -

* gone to college and become a teacher like I always wanted
* lived on my own for a while - I went from my parents house, to living with my girlfriend, to living with Mike
* I would not have listened to my then-boyfriend and bought a brand new car, even before I had a drivers license!
* I would have been less afraid of everything - life is much easier and more fun when you learn to stop worrying about what other people might think and learn that sometimes taking a risk is worth it! :thumbsup:
* I would have started scrapbooking years ago, so all my pictures wouldn't be sitting in boxes!

crazypoohbear
07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
I would have not believed that I was the only one in town with a dysfunctional family.

1 would have NOT listened to my guidance councilor who told me I wouldn't get into college so don't bother ever going. ( turns out he told quite a few people this gem of information.)
I would have not skipped soooo much school just because I could, and I got away with it all.

Even with cutting classes so much I graduated on time and with final grades of mostly B's and C's.
Had I not listened and believed the guidance councilor who knows where I would be right now.

TheDuckRocks
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
I have sat here for quite a while thinking hard about this question and the more I think the more I realize that I wouldn't change anything in my past. Not wanting to sound smug, but I have come to a point in my life that I really like myself and feel that God has blessed me in many ways. I have seen hard times and sad times and times that I didn't want to be me or to live any longer, BUT I would not be me if any of those things had not happened to me.
Now at 63 years old, I am looking to the future to do the things that maybe I should have done many years ago, every day I try to not dwell in the negetive, I am going to go to Europe and take some classes that I missed out on, I am eating more heathfully and exercising more, I tell my loved ones that I love them more often, I am very grateful that the man I married when I was 18 has been the love of my life and he cares for me in so many ways, and most important I thank God every day for all the blessings he has sent my way.

Disney Doll
07-02-2007, 03:15 PM
That's a tough question. I've been pretty happy with my life. All my choices and experiences combine to make me who I am today and I'd hate to change anything. However, if I had to choose I guess I wish I had done a semester abroad in college. Always wanted to, but never did. Now the opportunity has passed me by.

Tinkerfreak
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
At first I wanted to say that I wish I had been encouraged to go to college. Back in 1986 your options for paying for college were not as great. My Dad made too much for me to qualify for any financial aid but not enough to help me pay for college or to get a loan. I guess that is what they call keeping the middle class people down. Anyway when I think about my life now I would not change a thing ( except maybe I would have made a few less trips to Burger king). I have a wonderful life with my DH and 2 wonderful girls. We have a successful business and I am able to stay at home with my girls. Had I gone to college maybe I would have felt like I had to keep working because I had paid for a degree and needed to be a career woman. So far life has been good and I have no complaints. In the future I may go back to school but for now I am happy with my life as it is.

Momof2boys
07-03-2007, 09:45 AM
* I would have gone to college

* I would have lived alone (went from mom & dad's to living with John)

* I would have partied more . . . I was happy being a couple & didn't enjoy the bar scene with all my single friends trying to pick up guys. I missed a lot of that "growing into an adult" stuff ~

But, let me say that I absoultely LOVE my life now. I will be turning 32 this month, John & I will be celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary on 9/11, and we have 2 great sons to show for all our efforts. Plus I've been at my job for 11 1/2 years, on the PTO board, coaching soccer, and just an all round suburban wife & mom - which I NEVER EVER thought I would be.

c&d
07-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I have sat here for quite a while thinking hard about this question and the more I think the more I realize that I wouldn't change anything in my past.

I was thinking the same thing. I've had a remarkably wonderful life and at 54 I really can't think of anything I'd change. I've got a great family, we are fortunate enough to be able to travel, a terrific house.

Now looking back if I'd changed anything I wouldn't have what I have right now and I love what I have right now.

Ian
07-03-2007, 11:34 AM
I've taken a somewhat non-traditional route to get to where I am today, but you know ... there is precious little I'd do differently today. I love my life!!

If I had to pick a few things:

I would have taken up guitar when I was young. I'm learning now and it's frustrating seeing these 15 year olds who can play circles around me!
I would have learned to ice skate. You simply cannot learn to ice skate as an adult, because you're too far away from the ice when you fall and it HURTS!
I would have spent a lot more time with my Dad before he passed away. Like many young adults, I had a bit of a rocky relationship with him at times. I wish I had been a better son to him.
I would have been a better brother. My little brother and I barely talk these days and that's kind of a bummer, but I can understand why. I was the quintessential older brother when he was young and I terrorized him pretty badly. Wish we had a better relationship.Outside of that, I'm pretty happy with where I am today. I had a lot of bumps in the road along the way, but I think they made me a better person. My biggest regrets have to do mostly with my relationships with other people and not things I'd change about myself.

pshokie
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I would have been a better brother. My little brother and I barely talk these days and that's kind of a bummer, but I can understand why. I was the quintessential older brother when he was young and I terrorized him pretty badly. Wish we had a better relationship.

Wow, this hit home for me, from the other side. I was the quintessential youngest brother who was always terrorized (youngest of 3). I am sorry you do not have a better relationship, and I can offer no personal experience on how to bridge the gap. As you could probably guess, my oldest brother and I are in a "strained" relationship as well.

As for what I would have done:

Different Major in college, I would have gone with Civil/Structural Engineering (buildings) rather than Mechanical Engieering (cars, engines)
I would have visited my middle brother in England more often. He lived there for 3 years and I only visited once, two months before he left. Always wanted to go back....
I would have followed everyone's advice and purchased a townhouse back in my early 20's. Had to buy our first house with cash only (nothing to sell), so it took longer than we had hoped to raise the down payment.
(This one is for my wife, who does not post) We wish we had started a family sooner.

offwego
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
I would have gone for a beer with my younger brother when he asked me before he went on vacation.

He passed away on that vacation and my last words to him were "I'll catch up with you later when you come back". It's my one major wish I could do over moment.

Ian..it's never really to late to try to mend some of it. Have you tried writing to him? I mean a real old fashioned letter?

Generally...that I remember more often to spend time with my family instead of my office. But that has gotten much better then it used to be by controlling how long I'm prepared to commute.