PDA

View Full Version : Henna (hand painting) at Epcot?

lilmick
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
In my research for our upcoming trip to WDW (11 days!), I thought I read somewhere that you can get henna painted on your hand, maybe at World Showcase in Epcot? Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks :confused:

r4kids
06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
It is in the country Morrocco. It ranges from $10 to $30 dollars. DD(12) has had this done the last 2 trips. They really do a great job. The have a ton of designs to choose from. They can do your arm, hand, face, leg, etc. They also have the kit inside the first store on the right hand side, inside the Morrocco's showcase. It doesn't work as well though. They have the little stand set up closest to the water and you have to let it dry for about 30 mins or so then it will crack and break off by it self during the day. Your result will be a cool tattoo. :mickey:

Alpha Jeanie
06-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I read this somewhere also and was trying to figure out where I read it. I want to say it was near the International gateway at Epcot. I was thinking of getting a small Mickey henna tatoo on our next visit.....totally out of character for me:blush::thedolls::party:....but I get more adventurous when I'm at Disney World....and of course it's temporary!!:mickey:

lilmick
06-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Wow! Thanks, r4kids, for all the info! My DD is 11 and I think she would really like to get this done ~ me too! Thanks again :thumbsup:

biodtl
06-29-2007, 08:53 PM
They also have the kit inside the first store on the right hand side, inside the Morrocco's showcase. It doesn't work as well though.
We like to get the tattoos and buy the kit to touch them up a little, so we have the cool artwork that the pro does, but they last much longer since we keep them freshly painted.

Darbylew
06-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Both of my granddaughters got them and they
last about two weeks if you are careful. Have
fun!

tinksmom02
06-29-2007, 09:52 PM
DD4 got a tattoo at Epcot. My only advice is to skip it if it's raining. She smudged hers getting into the stroller...it was permanently smudged until it wore off

It is really cool, though, and only takes a couple of minutes.

Pocahontas
06-29-2007, 09:58 PM
My 15 year old DD got a henna tattoo on our last visit to the world. They did a beautiful job.

FYI-My DD got the tattoo in the evening and when the tattoo dried and cracked off, it was a light yellowish brown. At first she was disappointed, but when she woke up the next morning it was a nice dark brown color. She was pleasantly surprised by the change.

jsw123
06-29-2007, 10:28 PM
This sounds beautiful! I'm tempted to try for myself! I've loved everything else in the Moroccan Pavillion---food, shopping, and sight seeing are excellent!:mickey:

Caroleh
06-29-2007, 10:47 PM
Oh no. not something else from the Morroccan Pavillion!!! I might as well just forget buying anything else at WDW. I'm planning belly dance stuff, things for the house and now a henna tattoo. Are the designs the normal henna designs or are they more on the Disney type(mickey, donald, etc...)?

Night Pirate
06-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Well to Carleh They are more traditional but they also have mod, and disney stuff. My pairents never let me get one. My dad had a thing about tatto's and representation's of them, so I never got one. But now that I'm old enouff, The next time I go will probably be just w/ friends and I will get one myself.
P.s. I hear that the longer you get the stuff from getting wet and coming off when you first get it, the longer it will last!

Clotho
06-29-2007, 11:54 PM
P.s. I hear that the longer you get the stuff from getting wet and coming off when you first get it, the longer it will last!

Yes, the longer you keep it moist and on your skin, the darker it will be. If you want to prolong your henna, a mixture of lemon juice and sugar dabbed on it with a cotton ball every 30 minutes or so throughout the day will make it last. And for kids who are prone to smudging, as soon as it dries a little, cover it in saran wrap. I know that ounds horrible in the hot weather, so maybe that's not great advice for Disney, but we do it all the time back here at home to help keep from chipping it off and to preserve the moisture.

And please, take my advice: if you are interested in "bellydance" items, don't buy it there! I am sure I don't have t tell you that anything there is vastly overpriced, but I can also vouch that most of it is very very cheap and will fall apart on you. There are TONS of vendors online, on Ebay, and probably even in your hometown that you don't know about yet, where you could get better quality at lower prices. I am a professional bellydancer, so trust me: I know! If you are seriously interested in certain items of this genre, feel free to PM me for suggested vendors!

I might get myself some henna next time I am there. I never saw anyone doing it on my last trip. Maybe because it was off-season... Henna has a lot of history and ritual involved in it. While carnival henna has become popular, and people get cartoons and popular culture icons done in henna, I encourage anyone interested in reading just a little about it. There are SOOOO many gorgeous traditional designs that would be so much more authentic and appropriate and UNIQUE from what you could get anywhere. And I bet you the people running the henna stand will enjoy doing the art, and entirely enjoy your your interest in their cultural designs, far more than if you walk up asking for Donald Duck.

Oh and this is already long, but, DON'T BUY KIT HENNA. Henna is an organic product--it will EXPIRE. The kits do not tell you this,a nd you never know how old the henna is. As someone mentioned it will be very light, and disappointing. Again, there are a ton of venros online with great henna, easy tutorials, design templates you can download, etc. Experiment with it! Light some candles and incense and have your girlfriends over. Make a batch of henna and just play! It's a blast! Indian grocers will carry this as well--you may not know it, but most cities have one you may not have noticed before. Look it up in the phone book!

Lizzie
06-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Sounds fun. I am going to have to check it out on our next trip.