PDA

View Full Version : ideas/experiences of romantic marriage proposals?

McGoofy
06-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Ok...this is post #400 for me, and I wanted to make it a good one. :mickey: As it turns out, this post will not be for me. It will be for a very good friend of mine. In October, our group of 6 couples that are very good friends are going to Disney for MNSSHP and the Food and Wine Festival. Five of us couples are married and couple #6 is definitely planning to get married this coming May. However, they are not officially engaged with a ring yet. The girl has told us other girls that she would love to get officially engaged while we are at Disney. She says that is her dream because it is just so romantic. I asked her if the guy knows this and she said no. So...being the Disney fans that we are, my DH and I want to drop some romantic ideas to the guy. So...all that to say this...looking for ideas or experiences of romantic proposals at Disney World.

For example, I have already told my 9 year old son that when he finds "the one," we will pay for him to do the big candle-lit dinner at EPCOT. (because, of course, "the one" will also be a Disney fan!:cloud9:) I can't remember the name of the dinner, but it is the really fancy one that has the special tables down by the water. You can see them all set about an hour before Illuminations. I think that would be so romantic to be proposed to just before Illumnations started. :cloud9:

Anyhow, I have no doubt that our guy friend will do the engagement up right. He will make it very special no matter how he chooses to do it. (His favorite park is EPCOT. The girl just loves Disney in general.) We're just looking for romantic Disney ideas or engagement opportunities that we may not know about. I know my friends at Intercot can come up with some good stuff!:bride::groom:

disneycouple2004
06-29-2007, 02:49 PM
OK..i am a guy..so i can help out here...My wife and I were married at Disneyworld..at the wedding pavillon ..its located between the Poly and the GF..sits out in the water with a small bridge to it...Have him take her on a romantic walk down the path to the Pavillion from the Poly or GF..walk into the Pavillion..its absolutely breathtaking..with a view of the castle in the backdrop..( its always unlocked)..of course check beforehand to be sure there is nothing going on that evening..have him walk her up to the front and do the honors right there ..it will be awesome !!..We go back every year and stop by the pavillion..go inside and renew our love for each other for one more year !!:D

good luck !!..let me know how it goes :D

princessimagineer
06-29-2007, 03:05 PM
For example, I have already told my 9 year old son that when he finds "the one," we will pay for him to do the big candle-lit dinner at EPCOT. (because, of course, "the one" will also be a Disney fan!:cloud9:)

thats realy funny because all my friends tell me that the first question i will ever ask a guy is if he likes disney and if its a no then nothing else matters, BUH-BYE. i also want to get engaged and more importantly: MARRIED in disney.

but on to answering your question: Victoria & Alberts is where the most number of couples have been proposed to in WDW. One time i was eating at the Castle for dinner and someone proposed up there. i thought that was sweet since it was in the castle and all and they were sitting right next to the window.

i once saw a special on food network that was about disney weddings. if im not mistaken, you can tell reastaurants in advance that there will be a proposal, incase you want to put the ring in the chocolate cinderellas slipper desert like the people on this show did.

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-29-2007, 03:32 PM
While the big, fancy, over the top, and potentially expensive proposals are certainly breath-taking and wonderful, I think a lot of it depends on the girl. For me, what would mean the most is if it was done in a way that was specifically reflective of him and myself. (It's his celebration too!)

For example, if she has a favorite restaurant, character or ride, finding a way to incorporate that would be ideal if it were someone like me, because I'd know that idea was special and specifically for me.

I understand that they're already planning on being married, and are just looking to make the proposal "official." That may make a more grand gesture more obvious. Perhaps that's what she wants, and that would be fantastic, but it really does depend on what type of gesture would mean the most to them. Doing something like Victoria and Alberts would be beautiful, but she'd most likely know it was coming there and it could eliminate the surprise factor. Finding a way to do it in a way/place/ or with a character that is most special to her or them personally when she least expects it, may still allow her to have the feeling of being surprised with the proposal even though she already knows it's probably coming.

What are some of her/their favorites?

Also, depending on what resort you're at, a nice quite horse-drawn carriage ride would be a wonderful way to celebrate afterwards!

I think I read somewhere about a company that specifically helps with setting up things like this in the park. I'll see if I can find it again.

DisneyOtaku
06-29-2007, 03:37 PM
The fancy meals and all are nice, but what *I* would really wish for would be that my future husband to propose to me during Wishes. The music playing, the fireworks in the sky...it would be a truly magical moment.

mdearmas
06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
When I proposed to my wife a couple years ago, I took her to cinderella's wishing well behind the castle. I gave her a penny and told her to throw it in close her eyes and make a wish. When she opened her eyes i popped the question and when she said yes i walked her to a spot i picked to watch wishes. it was a really great night! Best of luck to your friends and here is some :tink: for them.

huzzah4
06-29-2007, 04:02 PM
I talked to one of the CM's as we were leaving, and was allowed to propose under the Sorcerer's hat after Fantasmic. It fit well since she made my life and my trip to WDW even more magical. We both really liked it because even though it was in one of the parks, it was after hours and there were not all the crowds around, so we got to do it in an iconic place without having to have all of the big, splashy, showy to do.

We'll have been married for a month tomorrow by the way.

LoriMistress
06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
You can try proposing in front of Cinderella's Castle when you're picture is getting taken. You can propose at CRT. I think it depends on the person and what they find truely romantic. Some people don't mind a huge crowd. Some people want a quiet proposal. You could try to propose in France during Illuminations.

biodtl
06-29-2007, 08:44 PM
If it's in your budget, I think taking a fireworks cruise and proposing during the finale would be spectacular and magical. In fact, I think I might have to tell DH that he should do just that next trip (who cares if we're already married 14 years)

mickey-mouse35
06-30-2007, 03:15 PM
So six couples means 12 people, right? You should look into the group thing that does special stuff for groups--is it called Magical Beginnings? They have the Wishes cruise--would be awesome to do during that.

Or depending on where they might want to take their honeymoon--he could pop the question during dinner at that restaurant in World Showcase (like Italy or France, if it matches their destination) by bring the ring out on a little dessert or something.

I like the Wishes well behind the castle idea, too--simple but very sweet. You'll have to report back on what happens!

k_reile
07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
i like the character interation idea...how about Mickey bring her the ring or one of her favorite characters at a character meal?

Cinderelley
07-02-2007, 12:54 AM
I've seen someone post about witnessing an engagement at CRT where the staff brought out the ring in a glass slipper. Other romantic things I would love -

1. Horse drawn carriage ride at Port Orleans
2. Fireworks cruise
3. Have the guy toss a penny into the wishing well by the castle and say something about her making his wish come true.

But, alas, my DH doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.