PDA

View Full Version : best seat for illuminations?

figment
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
we're taking my bro in law and family down for their first visit (i guess they want to see what we rave about everytime we come home). we've seen illluminations before, but wife and i stood the whole time. now that both families have little ones... we'd like to sit... maybe grab a treat or a beer, but we're not sure where.

sooo... illuminations experts... where are the best seats for viewing illuminations?

thanks in advance.

Eeyore3138
06-29-2007, 01:35 PM
If you could snag a seat at the Cantina in Mexico, there are some tables along the lagoon. I like this spot for Illuminations because you can eat, then stay and watch while you enjoy a frosty margarita!! Also, it's one of the closest spots to the exit.

Goes4FastPass
06-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Illuminations viewing is more doggone difficult than it should be.

There are very few benchs that are on the fence so you at least sit 'til it starts - but the like all good Illuminations viewing places require 'camping out' long before the show.

It seems like most good viewing places across the 'back side' of the lake (Germany to Morroco) have been turned into private party areas. It's disgusting to see a few people in a large area munching hors d'oeuvres while the 'masses' are 10 deep against the fence trying to get a view.

Rose and Crown is a matter of just plain luck and the Cantina is fine except you (1) have to go long before Illuminations and (2) people will try to get between you table and the fence just minutes before the show.

TheRustyScupper
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
1) I know folks will think us naive.
2) But,
. . . we don't go for the elaborate
. . . we don't wait 1-hr or even 30-min for a seat
. . . we don't cry or beg for a R&C patio seat
. . . we don't think there are major good or bad areas
. . . we don't go in for the expensive cruises
3) All we do is
. . . get to Epcot about 15-min before the show
. . . go between the two souvenir stands
. . . sit on a blanket on the sloped concrete
4) We think
. . . the view is just as good as any other
. . . we see the ground effects and the globe
. . . we see the lasers and the fireworks
5) It works well for us - and it seems, a lot of other people

Lizzie
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I have never found a good spot for this show. And every time I mean every time I think I have a good spot someone always ends up standing right in front of us. I think we are going to skip this next time.

Becky'sMom
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, there's no guarantee that my plan will work, but this is what I'm going to try:
I have made ADR's for Bistro De Paris for 7:30 PM (this is upstairs from Chefs De France). I will very politely ask for a window seat and let them know that I would be willing to wait for one. If I get one, my family should be just about on dessert in the finest restaurant in Epcot when Illuminations starts!
If this idea sounds like something you want to do, keep in mind that ADR's for Bistro De Paris are not available until 30 days out...so make a note on your calendar.
Fingers crossed!
Lauren

dolphinmickey9170
06-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I have to agree with the "Between the two souvi stands". We found it to be a great spot last year. We also got very lucky to get an outside table at R&C last year for another viewing of illuminations. THE BEST view possible.

DizDaddy966
06-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I have to agree with TheRustyScupper. The area on the sloped concrete between the souvenir stands is a great view. Just a note that if weather permits(not too windy) CM may allow entry to a small area right on the water about 5 min before show starts.I was able to do this with my oldest DD when she was about 7and it's one of my most vivid disney memories. You could feel the heat come off the globe when the pyrotechnics kicked in:fworks:

LandFan
06-30-2007, 12:36 PM
We like eating at the rose & crown. You don't have to be outside - they will let you out into the viewing area to watch it and then you can come back in and finish your meal. It works well for us. I also like eating at Teppanyaki and watching from the second floor balcony when you are finished. There are a couple of obstructions but it is really cool to be up out of the crowd!

ghost999
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
the best food and viewing area is the sushi part in japan. while you're chowing down on sushi you can see the fireworks and all and you can also go out onto the balcony and wathc them and they are great seats.:mickey:

SunnyLee
06-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I have been extremely lucky a few weeks ago in getting a lake side view at the Rose and Crowne @ 7:50pm (we did have reservations but luck only gets you sits by the lakeside) and just stayed and ate to our leisure till the fireworks. I have also gotten myself a churro or two and sat at the Mexico cantina um...also...this is sort of a little secret place: go to Morocco and walk to left behind the little store they have out front and lean against the walling that faces the water there and you will have a GREAT view...good luck and have fun! :mickey:

..okay this is OFFICIALLY my 100th post... :thumbsup:

mickey-mouse35
06-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I have to agree with the "Between the two souvi stands". We found it to be a great spot last year.

Where is the souvi stand?
Also, has anyone sat at the Beer Garden next to Rose and Crown--how early do you have to get those seats?

TheRustyScupper
07-01-2007, 11:00 AM
. . . Where is the souvi stand? . . .

1) Straight ahead as you enter World Showcase.
2) The path
. . . walk through Future World to WS
. . . walk toward the lake
. . . on either side there is a souvenir shop
. . . straight ahead is an open space
. . . the concrete between is slopped to the lake

Hammer
07-01-2007, 11:17 AM
One of the most unexpected decent viewing areas we have encountered is in the smoking area in Italy. Now before people start getting upset, the smoking area in Italy is NOT near the water. It is by the trees in back of one of the shops (I think it is a candy shop). There are a couple of benches there. My sister stopped there to have a cigarette while I went to get our champagne, favorite beverage while watching Illuminations (actually anytime ;)). She called me and suggested we stay there. You do miss a couple of low effects since you are in the back, but otherwise it is not bad at all.

playdead88
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
there aren't too many bad spots to watch that as long as you're around the lagoon but we have usually found that right around mexico has the best views - the most comfortable view was from room 552 at the beach club villas with my jammies on sitting on the porch :blush:

TheMartellFamily
07-01-2007, 12:23 PM
This is our plan every time we go there. We hang out on the bridge by the bathrooms and the first aid and childcare location it is where the old Odessey restaurant used to be. It is not that busy and we can get out so fast. We get drinks from Mexico and Norway which is just a short walk. Now I am not sure if there are benches here but we always seem to sit somewhere and wait until the show starts, it maybe even along the wall.