PDA

View Full Version : Kona Breakfast poll

Bethanymouse
06-29-2007, 01:53 AM
I have been reading a lot of dining reviews and looking over the menu and I am stumped! We are eating our first ever breakfast at the Kona Cafe during our August trip. I have been talking to my Disney Fiance about the tonga toast. Now I hear the macadamia nut pancakes are delicious...so disney diners what to do? Macademian pineapple pancakes or Tonga Toast? What did you like about your choice? If neither- why and what would you get?

dolphinmickey9170
06-29-2007, 03:29 AM
The Tonga Toast is too die for, but be very careful. The filling is extremely hot, burned my tongue. So delicious and flavorful. Enjoyed every bite.....yummy, 43 more days and I can have some too.

auntfrannie
06-29-2007, 06:06 AM
I love the Tonga Toast...make sure you taste it before you add any syrup. It's definitely sweet enough! The macademia nut/pineapple pancakes are good too, though!

BritCody
06-29-2007, 06:27 AM
I have only had the Tonga Toast and it is very good, a tad bit sweet, but good none the less. I never had the macademia nut/pineapple pancakes but on our next trip I will get the macademia nut/pineapple pancakes and have my DD get the Tonga Toast and we can share the two!!!

Nicki'sMom
06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
I think we will get both and share it among the three of us. My 3 year old won't eat very much and the portions look huge!

Joanna
06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I think we will get both and share it among the three of us. My 3 year old won't eat very much and the portions look huge!

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup: The Tonga Toast is fabulous!

pshokie
06-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I voted for the Tonga Toast. I had it 3 times on our last trip. I am counting the days till May when I get to have it again! :thumbsup:

But on the "full disclosure" side, my wife did not care for it. First of all, it is HUGE. I would say the "loaf" you get is about the size of 4 or 5 slices of regular bread, a whole sliced up banana stuffed in the middle, and then rolled, rolled, and rolled again in cinamon sugar. Yum.

But my wife does not care for such a large amount of cinamon.

eam
06-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Tonga Toast is my absolute favorite breakfast. I started having it at Tangaroa Terrace years ago and now, no matter which resort I am staying at, I travel to Kona for breakfast. However, I always have mine without bananas. Only 19 weeks until I get to have it again.:joy:

angedeaile
06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Macademia nut & pineapple pancakes?!

How come I don't recall reading that on the menu posted under Info Central? Now I am doubly excited! That sounds so good! Tonga toast and this...I will be in heaven!

Good thing for all that walking I will be doing. I am going to need it after that breakfast.

dog-ears
06-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Another tonga toast fan here! But it is very sweet. The macademias in the macademia and pineapple pancakes make them rich but they would be my second choice!

moe513
06-29-2007, 08:06 PM
The pancakes sound delicious. I had the tonga toast and thought it was horrible. It just had a funny taste. I think because of the frying I am not a fussy eater.

Natazu
06-29-2007, 08:09 PM
What I really liked was the Calabash. That was a great breakfast. It made me sad when it went away.

Shugoondola
06-29-2007, 08:14 PM
After reading all the raves about Tonga Toast, I tried it. I won't be too popular here, but I thought it was :ack: :sick: . It was waaaaay too sweet and greasy.

:mickey:

tinksmom02
06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
I voted for the Tonga Toast, although I've yet to dine at Kona Cafe. It IS on my must-do, specifically to taste the TToast!

Although, I paused over the macadamia/pineapple pancakes--they sound fabulous, too!

gardenia
06-30-2007, 09:52 PM
The pineapple macadamia pancakes are delicious, but the Tonga toast is better. I don't particularly care for bananas, so I was reluctant to try it, but oh my goodness - it's good.

You should order both and share; or else make TWO trips to Kona for breakfast!

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2007, 11:26 AM
If I eat at Kona, I always order the Tonga Toast...

mickey-mouse35
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
I voted for the p/m pancakes because that's sounds DELISH!!! I liked the Tonga Toast and would order it again, even though I'm not a huge fan of bananas, but the pancakes just sound so good. The portions are huge--get both and share. And don't forget the Kona coffee--awesome!!!! :thumbsup:

disneymom2000
07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
I didn't vote because I haven't eaten here yet but have made ADR's for my next visit. I did however check the menu for this restaurant and thought I might try the calabash breakfast but Natazu said they no longer have this? When did they do away with it? It sounded wonderful.:(

Disneyglamour
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Do you have to make ADR for breakfast? And do you have to stay at the Polynesian to eat there?

mickey-mouse35
07-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Do you have to make ADR for breakfast? And do you have to stay at the Polynesian to eat there?

I don't know if ADRs are required, but I would make them if there's a particular time you want to go, and no, you can be staying anywhere to eat there. We just ride the monorail over from MK or Epcot, which is easiest. Or, if you have a car, you can drive over, but you will need ADR then because they check your name before letting you park (so people don't use resort parking to go to theme parks.)

Bethanymouse
07-02-2007, 09:47 PM

We made a reservation because I am super compulsive. ;) I assume that it wont be too busy in the mornings but I would still recommend calling ahead of time.

Thanks for your input everyone. We are thinking of splitting it as suggested of maybe we will have to go twice!

Keep the opinions coming I am enjoying reading what you like and dislike and why!

pshokie
07-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't know if ADRs are required, but I would make them if there's a particular time you want to go, and no, you can be staying anywhere to eat there. We just ride the monorail over from MK or Epcot, which is easiest. Or, if you have a car, you can drive over, but you will need ADR then because they check your name before letting you park (so people don't use resort parking to go to theme parks.)

I would have to guess it depends on the time of year, but maybe not.... We were at the Poly in May, and while we had ADRs, Kona never had a wait and tables were always available. In fact, our last day (a Saturday) we did not have an ADR but we still got a walk up table at 8:00. I guess it helps to have a character breakfast 50 feet away (Lilo & Stitch at 'Ohana). That place was packed with a long waitlist...

I just get the feeling that most people either
a) skip breakfast
b) have a lite breakfast either in the room or at a CS
c) go to a character breakfast.

So speaking soley for Kona in May, it just seemed as though people did not want to sit at a "regular" TS for breakfast.

Figgyluv03
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
It's funny I came across this question. I'm trying to figure out where to eat on my next trip and I changed O'hana's to Kona because I wanted to try the pankcakes. They sound yummy!!!

Natazu
07-04-2007, 03:07 AM
I didn't vote because I haven't eaten here yet but have made ADR's for my next visit. I did however check the menu for this restaurant and thought I might try the calabash breakfast but Natazu said they no longer have this? When did they do away with it? It went away some time last year. It was very sad.

DisneyJunkie
07-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I definitely would NOT recommend the Tonga Toast.....that junk is NASTY. Someone said it's "to die for", and I agree.....eat much of that nasty slop and you'll want to die.

mickey-mouse35
07-04-2007, 01:34 PM
I definitely would NOT recommend the Tonga Toast.....that junk is NASTY. Someone said it's "to die for", and I agree.....eat much of that nasty slop and you'll want to die.

:funny: that's pretty funny! :funny: