PDA

View Full Version : How Many Points?

Horizon93
06-28-2007, 10:10 PM
OK, I know that I am asking a ton of questions,, so thanks in advance. We are likely joining in a few days. Any idea what level the average person buys at first? Is it the 160 or more? Just looking for the average not personally what everyone did. We typically do about 12 nights a year and we will likely be in a studio most often.

True Disney Fan
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
:mickey:From what I have understood,most people will start with 150 to 200 pts on their first purchase. It will depend on the frequency you plan to use them.

Plan what you think you will use. You noted that perhaps 12 days in a studio per year. If the minimal pts. will carry you and this is what you can afford, go that route. You can always move up with more points as you want to. Remember, if you fall short, one can borrow on their next user year points if need.

If you come aboard, then Welcome Home . Will be glad to have you along as members.

My dear late hubby and I joined in 2001. We started at 350 points and are now at 600 points. :thumbsup:

Carol
06-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I would definitely look at the charts and plan a trip(s) for when you typically vacation. If you know you'll be going a week in December and May - then see what that takes. Also - figure on accommodations. It's many more points to stay in a villa.

scottgr
06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
I just joined last in Jan. We going back and forth on the points. We decided to go with 170 points. This seemed to get us want we wanted each year. If we skipped a year we have 340 points for bigger vacation. We also figured we could buy more points down the road if we decided 170 was not enough. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

mprewitt
06-29-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't know if there is any way to determine the average initial buy-in. I don't think DVC has published that information.

I would guess anywhere from the current minimum (160) to 200-250.

My initial purchase was for 210, but I now have 462 points (210 at AKV, 90 at VWL, 90 at BWV, and 72 at BCV) via add-ons.

Ian
06-29-2007, 10:07 AM
I would definitely look at the charts and plan a trip(s) for when you typically vacation. If you know you'll be going a week in December and May - then see what that takes. Also - figure on accommodations. It's many more points to stay in a villa.Yep ... Carol's right on.

We bought in for the minimum 160 points because we looked and saw that that would be enough for us to take the normal vacations we take each year. We're definitely planning on adding on over the years, but we wanted to start with something before points went up too high.

NewmanFamily6
06-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok well for us we started with 350 points and want to add on in a couple of years. Now that may seem like a lot but we have to have a 2 bedroom every time we go because we are a family of 6. So basically we get 1 week a year.

tinktude
06-29-2007, 12:10 PM
We originally signed on for 150 pts in
March 05, and we just added on 115 pts last year in November because we needed more. I will say that we probably would have been ok, but my DH likes the 1 bedroom more than the studio.

If you join "Welcome Home"

We have never regretted buying in, my kids are becoming disney freaks just like their parents!!

rbl291
06-29-2007, 12:11 PM
We bought 210 SSR points in 2005 because that is what our guide Amil (He's the best guide IMHO), showed us would work for the majority of our vacation plans. (2 times a year for 6 days each time in studio or 1bdm in low season). BUT..we quickly found that we like to go more often and use at least one weekend day,,,,so...we just added 100 more AKV in May. If you are not sure, go with the minimum points for your first and then add-on once you see how much you really like it and become addicted to DVC ! !! :mickey: