PDA

View Full Version : Civility Here

big blue and hairy
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
I am amazed at the differnce between Intercot and some other boards. I am technicaly a member of that Magic board, only because I found it before I found Intercot. I do read them from time to time, but I haven't posted anything in years. The tone there is much nastier. There is name calling and insulting. I don't find that here :thumbsup:

I am currently arguing with Ian and lockedoutlogic about ADR's but nobody's being nasty...smart-alek maybe, from all of us...but it all seems good natured, we don't agree but we're not being nasty.

Intercot is a place where you can disagree and not feel like you're being persicuted for it. :D

:sulley:

gueli
06-28-2007, 08:40 AM
It is Ok to disagree.

I have enjoyed this board also (having discovered it but a few months ago).

I like the intelligent, and often insightful discussions here.

Thanks to all who make this site so enjoyable.

:mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
You're both wrong. ;)

big blue and hairy
06-28-2007, 08:59 AM
You're both wrong. ;)

:fit:

Carol
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Ummmmmm - being big, blue and hairy I'm sure you realize when you enter another site you're subject to the Decontamination Chamber upon reentering INTERCOT. :thedolls:

big blue and hairy
06-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Ummmmmm - being big, blue and hairy I'm sure you realize when you enter another site you're subject to the Decontamination Chamber upon reentering INTERCOT. :thedolls:

:jaw:

Actually, there have been some times that I've felt I've needed it...:D

Advnt05
06-28-2007, 09:55 AM
There is a guy I work with that posts on many different message boards. There have been several times where he got so angry at someone on the board, that they exchanged email addresses and then phone numbers and had knock down arguements over silly things! There are times that I think Intercot is sappy but I much prefer that over anger any day.

disneycouple2004
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
:rocks:

pogo
06-28-2007, 11:25 AM
This is the bestest site of all.:grouphug: :D

ghost999
06-28-2007, 01:02 PM
my father is a part of wdwmagic and i sometimes read it and they have some cruel and evil posts on it and i just want to go and tell them this site so they can see how you are supposed to post with respect. :mickey: and no my father doesn't post anything cruel he actually has some civility. again:mickey::thumbsup::D

angedeaile
06-28-2007, 01:28 PM
I COMPLETELY agree about the difference between disney boards.

Infact, when I decided to take a DW cruise, I began searching around to see what other sites I could use to research...

I found two other forums (which I will not name...but one was already listed) and the name calling and hostility is insane! I don't think I would ever sign up nor post at either.

I think the only hostility I have ever experienced on here is when smoking in the parks is brought up.

The whole experience reminded me of why I love Intercot so much!

I still don't know why Intercot is so different. What makes Intercotees so understanding, kind and tactful versus other Disney board members, but no complaints here! YAY for Intercot!:thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm a member of another board too (:blush:) and I don't ever post there. They get really mean and flame one another all of the time! I think that is the thing I like about Intercot the most...even when we disagree about something it stays very civil!

Jeff
06-28-2007, 01:58 PM
You're both wrong. ;)

Now that's funny!

Intercot has great members - that's all there is to it!:thumbsup:

big blue and hairy
06-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Now that's funny!

Intercot has great members - that's all there is to it!:thumbsup:

Oh, shut up! ;)

grumpycajun
06-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I imagine doing Disney Meets might not be a very good idea on the other boards...

EvilQueen2006
06-28-2007, 07:22 PM
Anyone want to talk about refillable mugs, parenting techniques, or gay days?!:thedolls:
I agree, Intercot is the best out there!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I have to agree. I've been to some of those other boards and they just weren't any fun. I very seldom go visiting there. YAY to us!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
I have to agree. I've been to some of those other boards and they just weren't any fun. I very seldom go visiting there. YAY to us!

iheartmickey
06-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I agree that this board is the BEST!!!!!

I am on another board regularly ... not disney related ... I know :crazy: and :faint: !!! LOL! The women on that board are so cruel and nasty to each other. I can't believe some of the things that they bring up and say about each other.

I was just telling someone today about how great this place is .... he join a week or so ago ... hasn't posted yet .... anyway ....

I'm so happy to have "met" all of you and become a part of a community that is civil and fun!

Tinkerfreak
06-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I think we can all thank the wonderful Moderators for giving us those gentle reminders from time to time to keep it friendly. We are all entitled to our opinions and we all seem to respect that.
Time for a big group hug:grouphug:

ghost999
06-30-2007, 10:51 AM
now this is just IMHO, but on a different board they had moderators getting on to people, pming them whatever, for just putting one or two words in all capital letters. does this make any sense.:mickey:

luvdiznee
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Agree this is a great board, even for disagreements. I'm a member on another board and when you disagree with someone who seems to be in "their group" they just get downright nasty towards you. I only post on certain areas of that board but I read some of those nasty posts in this one area. They get pretty bad. :thedolls:So very nice to have Intercot to come to. :cloud9: Especially for important issues. :mickey:

mickey&missy
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I totally agree!This is the best board!

Why should we argue!? We all have at least 1 thing in common, our love of disney! I think mostly everyone on this board realizes that someones opinion is exactly that, an opinion, and yours might be different. But, that doesn't mean either one is wrong or right.

TikiGoddess
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I think Intercot really reflects the Disney philosophy. It has a little bit of escapism to it -- when I'm on this board I rarely think about my other problems, just like at WDW. After our New England meet, I can safely say that our members are just as nice in person! And now I can't wait to see how great everyone is at the Oct. gathering!

Cheers, all. To the nicest place on the internet!
TikiG

Christine
07-02-2007, 02:58 PM

:funny:
"2319!!! We have a 2319!!!"

You're both wrong. ;)
:laughing:

PirateLover
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I have to say unfortunately that I've being seeing a little more over-the-top sarcarsm or mean-spirited posts on Intercot lately, BUT I think the reason that they stand out to me so much is the fact that it is so rare to find that type of post here. I registered for about 3 boards when I was looking to plan my first WDW trip without my parents. It took me a few months to work up courage to post a few times here, and even after then I didn't post again for almost another year. I haven't posted on any other boards because they are just so nasty sometimes. Here on Intercot you see the same topics again and again and people are still willing to answer them with the same enthusiasm as they did the first time around, or else gently direct you to a previous thread, rather than lambaste you for daring to repeat a question.
OK I guess I'm done now.

dolphinmickey9170
07-03-2007, 12:34 AM
Oh the memories, I haven't heard "lambaste" in years.

Anyway, I agree that this is THE BEST place on the internet. I can't imagine a day without Intercot.

DisneyorBust
07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Fortunately, Intercot was the first, Disney-Fan site that I found. I have since found a number of other sites, thankfully I took the time to review and read some of the posts. Downright nasty at times, just mean at other times.
I have only joined one other discussion forum, they are very similar to Intercot in how the folks (members and Moderators) interact.
For me, the only daily stop for Disney discussion:mickey: is right here on Intercot.
A big THANK YOU!:number1: to all of the Moderators and staff for all of their time and effort in keeping this the best site on the internet.

Spaceship Tigger
07-03-2007, 02:32 PM
I definitely agree that whenever there is some hostility among people here on Intercot it really stands out because it happens so infrequently. I stick with Intercot because it is the most well-moderated board, even though it is not the largest.

I don't like the other big WDW boards because they tend to be a bit of a mess...

ghost999
07-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I definitely agree that whenever there is some hostility among people here on Intercot it really stands out because it happens so infrequently. I stick with Intercot because it is the most well-moderated board, even though it is not the largest.

I don't like the other big WDW boards because they tend to be a bit of a mess...
i couldn't have said it better myself.:mickey::number1:

sleepingbooty
07-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I think the moderators and long time members get the credit for setting the tone. Every once in a while, you'll see a topic get a bit heated, but the mods are always on the ball about toning it down and even closing a topic. And frequent posters will often try to steer topics back in the right direction and remind people not to get personal. After you've been here a while, you pick up on the positive vibe that is kept going. I think people who like a more edgy environment don't stick around too long. Or they learn to tone it down for the sake of civility. Its a good thing, because for some reason it can be a little nervewracking posting for the first time. I guess its like walking up to a group of kids at school, you just want them to like you!:D

Carol
07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I don't like the other big WDW boards because they tend to be a bit of a mess...And very hard to read. Big signature photos, flashing this and thats. Makes my eyes bleed trying to find the text. :rub:

Bigger isn't better - just a lot more cluttered and chaotic. :rocks:

DisneyDudet
07-09-2007, 12:06 PM
I find that I'm nicer on the boards than I am in real life!

I like being right... and I'm usually right on here... so... yeah .. why would I not like Intercot!?

You all are wrong.. I am right.. how's that for hostility!? :cool:

Anywho... this is the best discussion group I've ever seen on the internet, Disney or not.

Marker
07-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Overall, I absolutely agree that this is a very friendly board. Over the almost 7 years I've been a member, I have gotten tons of valuable information from the folks here. I've played some games, gotten and sent well wishes, and gotten into some fairly spirited discussions.

However, I have to admit, that in more recent times, it sometimes frustrates me that I sense negativity. Now understand, I'm not talking about opposing opinions, or honest comments. I don't expect or want people to just blindly agree, and love, anything and everything Disney. But sometimes it feels that people are LOOKING for something to complain about, or being critical just for the sake of being critical, not to critique.

This is absolutely the best Disney board in existence.... I just hope it stays that way.

GrumpyFan
07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
I agree with what everybody else is saying, Intercot is the best, most civil Disney discussion board I've found. I was on another board, that I won't name the other day, reading a thread and someone was cussing about why the topic was in the wrong forum, and that the mods needed to move it! Totally unnecessary!

Intercot was the first Disney board I registered with and it remains one of the first places I check everyday and post to frequently!

Thank you John and all the moderators and members who help maintain a clean and fun place to talk about Disney.

big blue and hairy
07-10-2007, 08:02 AM
I find that I'm nicer on the boards than I am in real life!

You all are wrong.. I am right.. how's that for hostility!? :cool:

:fresh:

pedro2112
07-10-2007, 12:25 PM
The reason that you feel things are more civil around here is that I haven't been posting much lately...

:D

Polynesian Dweller
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
No board of any type better than Intercot :thumbsup: Its due to everybody's efforts, moderators, users, and the fact most posters recognize that its OK to disagree. First, board I feel comfortable being a particpant on, not just a reader.

Tink&Goofy
07-10-2007, 06:34 PM
I think we can all thank the wonderful Moderators for giving us those gentle reminders from time to time to keep it friendly. We are all entitled to our opinions and we all seem to respect that.
Time for a big group hug:grouphug:

:exactly:

Intercot has the best moderators around! They keep everyone line - and occassionally add some substance to the discussion . :laughing::haha::funny:

CandleontheWater
07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
This board really is awesome. I've been on some others, but I really feel like this is a community. I think because its a little smaller you can get to know people by screen name and avatar and I'm sure that helps cut the nastiness factor. Oh that and we all rock! :mickey:

Here we go again...
07-12-2007, 12:41 AM
And very hard to read. Big signature photos, flashing this and thats. Makes my eyes bleed trying to find the text. :rub:

Bigger isn't better - just a lot more cluttered and chaotic. :rocks:
I agree. I have visited another board and it is almost impossible to get through all of the junk to find what you are looking for. Isn't 1 avatar good enough??? No, we need 12 pictures of our cats dressed up for halloween too.
John, Thanks for keeping it simple.

However, I have to admit, that in more recent times, it sometimes frustrates me that I sense negativity. Now understand, I'm not talking about opposing opinions, or honest comments. I don't expect or want people to just blindly agree, and love, anything and everything Disney. But sometimes it feels that people are LOOKING for something to complain about, or being critical just for the sake of being critical, not to critique.

I notice this every now and then too. I usually always notice that the people involved are still pretty new. If they have ever been on any other Disney discussion board, they may truely believe that is the only way to communicate. It is rare that little questions do not get turned into an argument over there... people tend to join expecting it here too.

Thanks to all of our hard working Moderators!!:beer::beer::marg::beer::beer:
You too Jeanne... even though you don't REALLY work hard.;)

yasmina
07-13-2007, 07:53 AM
I posted a question on another board (with some admittedly incorrect incorrect information, which I discovered after the fact). But oh my goodness, someone got totally snarky with me - didn't even answer my question - just had to point out how stupid I was :(.

I didn't respond. I just don't want to get into flame wars with someone I don't even know. The only time I did respond to a post on a non-disney board was when someone accused me of lying. Now THAT ticked me off enough to slam them right back, then I let it go.

I figure, I could meet them on the street somewhere, not know it was them, and find out they're very nice.

I try to always look for the positive. Who knows, maybe the person has PMS (not being sexist here! I am speaking from personal experience ), or their dog just died, or they were diagnosed with some dreadful disease, or whatever. I know, those things don't excuse bad behavior, but it happens and I try not to take it personally.

OK, now who wants to discuss Crocs? IMHO Crocs Rock! :D

drummerboy
07-13-2007, 08:32 AM
:exactly:

Intercot has the best moderators around! They keep everyone line - and occassionally add some substance to the discussion . :laughing::haha::funny:
Yes, we're under strict instructions not to embarass anyone with our vast and superior knowledge. :fresh:

Speaking of smilies, I think the large array of them that we have available are a great help in conveying the fact that we're kidding and not being hateful.