PDA

View Full Version : Where Do Locals Eat?

socalruss
06-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi All,
One thing we always try to do when traveling is to eat at places that the local people eat at. The food is almost always better we don't end up at a tourist trap. So local or not, cuz I'm sure many of you have been here so many times you could be considered local, can anyone recommend any places? Oh yeah, kid friendly too. Thanks!:thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
You know... that's a great question!

I've been many times over the past seven years, but we tend to stay on property without a rental for a leave-the-driving-to-them vacation. And being a DVC member, my second home is at WDW but not Orlando.:blush:

If I ever do mosey off property (one of these trips), I'd love to try Emeril's Tchoup Chop and Cafe Tu-Tu Tango (Rachael Ray has included it on $40 Dollas a Day so you might want to look it up over at the Food Network site). Some folks have also mentioned a fondue restaurant in trip reports (Rachael visited it too in the same Orlando episode - the one she visited is called the Colorado Fondue Company).

Of course, these are enticing options, but in seven years and eleven trips, we've yet to cover all the offerings on property. :eat:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
My old food & beverage director recommended Pebbles @ Lake Buena Vista very highly. And coming from a foodie, that's high praise indeed.

MickeyMousse
06-29-2007, 08:45 AM
When we lived in Orlando and wanted to eat out we would venture down to International Drive and eat at Race Rock, a Nascar themed restaurant. Also, over by the Stampede/outlets is an Outback which used to be very good and is not very far from WDW. Orange Blossom Trail, near where we lived, offered a Cracker Barrel which was excellent.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!!!!

TheRustyScupper
06-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Dining for us locals.
Let's see . . .

1) Upscale
. . . Bergamo's Italian, Int'l Drive (singing waiters)
. . . Ruth Chris' Steak House, Sand Lake Rd
. . . Morton's Steak House, Dr Philips Drive

2) Middle Expensive
. . . Texas de Brasil Churrascaria, Int'l Drive

3) Least Expensive
. . . JT's BBQ Ribs, Hwy 192 (near Orange Lake CC)

Natazu
06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm not a local, but I play one 45 days a year.

Seriously, though... One of the managers at V&A was telling us that they have a high percentage of locals. So does California Grill, Citricos, & Flying Fish.

jkj1224
06-29-2007, 10:45 PM
Well unfortunetaly for the posters above...Pebbles and Race Rock have both closed.

Sonny's BBQ
Friendly's (Int. Dr.) Foods ok, but the ice cream is great!
Chevy's (crossroads)

LandFan
06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah - I've heard Sonny's BBQ is AWESOME!! I have a friend who has family down there...

Bruegge
06-30-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm not a local, but I play one 45 days a year.

Seriously, though... One of the managers at V&A was telling us that they have a high percentage of locals. So does California Grill, Citricos, & Flying Fish.

And they need to make a ressie in June for dinner in November.....

Btw off topic. sry.. HEY JYM..

JW Blue was "on sale" at the local liquor store $225.00/bottle is that the "going price"??

You and someone else likes it if I remember correctly..

I always want to have a "good one" on hand for special guests and occasions

Scott

MickeyMousse
06-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm crushed to hear that Race Rock has closed!:cry:
That place had great atmosphere....:(

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-30-2007, 04:17 PM
My brother in law and father are both locals who reccommend Boston Lobster Feast on I drive (there are other locations in Kissimmee and in the Florida Mall too). Also, for fast food I love Pollo Tropical for great Cuban fast food.
Good luck!
Jen

beksy
07-01-2007, 09:03 AM
We're not locals but with a Dad that refused to eat TS in WDW for years, we did try a lot of restaurants in Orlando. I go with one of the previous posters--Sonny's BBQ is GREAT!! :thumbsup: It is definitely Dad's favorite. We also ate at the Black-Eyed Pea several times each trip--nice, relaxing, comfort-food type place.

jmjepp
07-01-2007, 07:12 PM
ok i just want someone to tell me the best place for lunch ... expcealy because i go there every year and still haven't found a place :mickey:

Natazu
07-04-2007, 03:23 AM
JW Blue was "on sale" at the local liquor store $225.00/bottle is that the "going price"??

That's about right, depending on your state's liquor tax. It's like $230 here. I've started picking it up when we're in Florida. It's $199 at the Walgreen's liquor store at exit 68 on I-4. The cheapest I've ever seen it is at The Orleans hotel liquor store in Vegas - $159, wow.